PDA

View Full Version : Curlies and Bangs

kteachone
December 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Can curlies have bangs? I want something to frame my face, but I just don't know.

Anyone have pics?

Eire
December 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have wavy hair, and I keep thinking that I can get bangs. Every time I do it, I regret it and have to straighten every day until it grows out. There might be a way around it, but to me it's not worth the hassle.

-simply Venus-
December 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Of course! Curly hair and bangs look gorgeous. =] I have BSL length curly hair with sideswept bangs. But I have to straighten them, which is kind of damaging.. but it's just my bangs, and you have to trim those so often, it never really gets that damaged.

I've also seen pictures of curly bangs, and it looks nice, but you have to have really well behaved curls to do that!! Google "curly hair with bangs" to find pictures. =]

Mina17
December 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have wavy hair, and I keep thinking that I can get bangs. Every time I do it, I regret it and have to straighten every day until it grows out. There might be a way around it, but to me it's not worth the hassle.

Yup, I have the same problem! And in my hair, the bangs (being shorter) seem to have more wave than the rest of my hair and half the time want to go in the wrong direction.

ooo
December 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Have you considered to permanently straighten your bangs? The hair is that short, it probably won't be a problem.

RocketDog
December 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I have a bit of fringe, not really enough to be considered 'bangs' any more, but I wore them for years and my hair is curly/wavy. I had to flatiron them to get them to look decent, and one splash of water or puff of wind sent them into disarray. They looked cute when I wore my hair in a short stacked bob, but I'm growing them out to more like chin/collarbone length for now. Might change my mind in a few months, but for the meantime I'd rather have that hair tucked back into my updos at work and that means I need a few extra inches of length.

Just take combs with you everywhere and be prepared to have to fuss and tidy them if you want them straight, or if you're luckier than I and have reliably attractive curl patterns at your hairline embrace the soft curly tendrils look - I only got a good 'cute' curl once or twice a week and the rest of the time they went all wonky.

patienceneeded
December 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
My hair is curly/wavy and I have tried bangs several times, only to grow them out later. They only looked good if straightened and would poof and curl at the slightest hint of moisture. Also, I have a cowlick right where the side-part on the bangs should sit and it was a pain to retrain daily. It can be SO cute, but it did not work for me naturally.

jesis
December 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I did! But I am growing them out now.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2010-09-11at2238.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2010-09-19at17045.jpg

ETA: I definitely had to straighten them everyday, by the way. I don't anymore, they curl with the rest of my hair and they are about to my mouth now.

manderly
December 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Another here who got sick of straightening only to have the slightest humidity make them a poofy mess. I grew them back out.

knoxkatie
December 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
i have had longish, sideswept bangs since i was a little girl so i don't know what i would do without them. my hair is rather wavy, but they really aren't a problem. i just blow dry them with a round brush whenever i shampoo.

akuamoonmaui
December 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd511/akuamoonmaui/IMG000041-1.jpg
Hope the mustache isn't too creepy....

Anywhere
December 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I had bangs, "side bangs" i guess. I had a picture somewhere.. in my "I cut my bangs shorter" thread from a few months back.. I'll try and find it and put it in one of my albums.

If they weren't too short then they looked alright being finger combed dry. I currently have blunt bangs, I'm considering re-growing my old side sweep though. I don't mind any straightening, my forehead is too huge for me to feel good about myself without having bangs.

Your hair is more curly than mine so I'm not sure how well it would work out.

ETA: Here's the pictures. my hair is up in them..
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=90246
unstyled

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=90247
straightened

ETAETA: I see you can't view album pictures yet, just look at this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55141). The pictures are in a non-LHC site on there. (should probably change that)

Niwa
December 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Tendrils framing the face are nice on curly hair. I keep shorter tendrils from cheekbone length to jaw length to collarbone length to frame my face and they look great. When I cut actual bangs into my hair, however, I looked a complete mess, even with the bangs straightened, because my bangs are also fine. Fine, tightly curled hair (think 3b to 4b) cut to bang length lacks the weight and straightness to lay flat, and tends to fly around and even stand on end like a spring stuck on one's head. :laugh:

DotDotDot
December 10th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think you can actually have curly side bangs! I think the across-the-forehead ones generally need to be straightened, but if you have side bangs or face-framing layers it can look really nice. For example, Joss Stone:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1ruc79.jpg

or Taylor Swift:

http://thebosh.com/archives/2010/10/30/Taylor%20Swift.jpg

I myself have never gotten them, but I certainly think it's possible!

milagro
December 11th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I grow out my bangs, they're about shoulder length now. Think twice before you cut some. They can look good in still photos like the Stone one above but they get in the way irl all the time and need a lot of maintenance.

StarryNight
December 11th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have bangs I am growing out from a blunt cut. I used to have to straighten them every day, but since I don't heat style any more I just make an off center part and comb it smooth, then pin it down with bobby pins and let it dry that way. It creates a nice shape and no hassle or heat. :)

This was the blunt cut bang:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5587&pictureid=75100

And this is what it looks like when I pin the bangs down - just kind of a wave thing. I only pin the front bit, down to my ears, where glasses sit. The curls on the side of my face are about what my bangs look like if I let them dry normally. One of these days I'll have to put up a picture so everyone can be envious of my poodle hair, lol.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5594&pictureid=88989

09robiha
December 11th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I think you can actually have curly side bangs! I think the across-the-forehead ones generally need to be straightened, but if you have side bangs or face-framing layers it can look really nice. For example, Joss Stone:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1ruc79.jpg

or Taylor Swift:

http://thebosh.com/archives/2010/10/30/Taylor%20Swift.jpg

I myself have never gotten them, but I certainly think it's possible!

I have these! so its most definatly possible, mine look alot like joss stones but a bit more ringletey. I just grew out my side bangs.

meggykins
December 11th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I need to have bangs, to cover up my horribly crooked hair line! I have wavy hair as well, though i dont really mind straightening them, since its only the bangs and i trim them often.

TrudieCat
December 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I had the kind of bangs that Taylor Swift has in the picture above and I'm in the process of growing them out. I consider them more like face-framing layers. I personally hate them, they never stay put like Taylor's in the picture above. They are not evenly curly/wavy and look weird unless I style them with heat. They get huge and fall in my eyes unless I style them with heat. My guess is that Taylor's bangs in that picture are styled and held with spray. They do look pretty, for sure, but I'm not willing to deal with all that maintenance.

curlymarcia
December 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I have curly hair and I had have a hard time styling bangs at first. I straighten them the day I wash hair and by the next day they were curly again :( No way I will straighten them everyday!!! Then my sister who has silky straight hair and is expert in change bangs style give a tip: at night bobypin your bangs in the place you want AND IT WORKS!! the hair gets used to these position and it's not damaging :) I will post some photos later.

ooo
December 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I got bangs a couple of days ago. They are kind of invisible to me. I think, I'll get them permanently straightened and a bit thicker :-D

dropinthebucket
December 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I need bangs (high forehead). They're definitely a problem when they're in-between curly and straight. On humid days, they're more wavy and look sweet, I think. When I use the curling iron to get them straight, they look pretty normal. When it's not humid, and I haven't had time for the iron, they cowlick weirdly to each side and then stick straight out like horns. :evil: Curlies and straights can do pretty trouble-free bangs, I think ... it's us almost-wavies that have to fight them!

KittyLost
December 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I love my bangs, when they're full across and short to the side I straighten them.

Once they get about nose length and beyond though I can just let them dry wavy and push them to the side. I found they were pretty easy to deal with.

ooo
December 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I did it. I permanently straightened my hair with the k-straight treatment. It was pretty easy. Now I'l have to wait three more days, till I can wash it for the first time. Only after this I can really tell, if it did work.
Also I'm not allowed to use any clips, elastics or braid my straightened hair. That's a challenge.
It said, that I should wait with the first wash 3-4 days. I'm tempted to wait only three days, but I want to be sure, it's straight.

ETA: I didn't straighten my whole hair, just the bangs :D

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
sorry, but you are better off bangless

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
don't do it

HintOfMint
December 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have wavy hair and bangs. I do have to straighten them every day I don't wear them down but it's something I don't mind doing. They make my updos look better and they add shape to my face. I've had them for over a year and still not tired of them nor the upkeep.

kabelaced
December 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
When I was younger and had straighter hair I had bangs. Then, about my sophomore year of high school, I got side bangs instead of fringe, and I had to straighten them every day or they would poof out and look horrid.

I was considering them a while back, but never as short as they used to be (always just a little shorter than the brows); I would probably do chin length and that's it. They were way too annoying, and I hated growing them out. :P

sweetestpoison
May 5th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm a curly girl and have had bangs before. Like the others, i too had to straighten mine regularly, but i didn't care about the damage because bangs get trimmed more often than the rest of my hair. I say if you want them go for them, you don't know til you try! As long as you can handle the grow out phase if/when you get tired of them

alwayssmiling
May 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I have curly hair and bangs. They do take a bit of styling, but I really like it. I think curly haired people with curly bangs look really lovely and cute.

Theobroma
May 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Another here who got sick of straightening only to have the slightest humidity make them a poofy mess. I grew them back out.

And another! Bangs were history for me when I started having to straighten them several times a day and they wouldn't look decent for more than half an hour no matter what. I guess it depends on one's exact curl type and texture... but mine is definitely not fringe-friendly!

rena
May 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
When my bangs were longer (they got chopped due to to a horrible tangling incident) after I washed my hair, I would just smooth them down with the rest of the hair with a comb and they would be very straight and wearable after drying.

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM
My hair is wavy/ curly and I've had a fringe (bangs) for twenty five years, most of which I have worn my hair straight-ish. I just used to blow dry the front each day using my first two fingers as a 'brush', which is SO much easier if the hair is short (sits on my eyebrows). Round brushes are high risk for poofy nightmare IME. Now I am wearing my hair curly I have my fringe longer (below my eyes) and swept to the side; it needs to be that length to have a clear wave pattern.

I now let the fringe do what it wants whilst air drying, then blow dry some of the curl out if it is sticking out. I am super lazy but blow drying just the front section takes no time at all, and is not noticeably damaging due to the length of the hair. You can always use a kirby grip (bobby pin) if your fringe is totally uncontrollable - a miniature quiff looks more natural than slicking it down IMO. :cool:

jojo
May 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I am more a wavy than a curly but I have a fringe but need to blowdry it. I have been blowdrying my length lately too but it looks ok too when I just blowdry the fringe and leave the rest to airdry. I can not however let my fringe airdry it just curls and looks daft

this is the only photo i have which is a little dark plus my fringe looks wonky but you get the idea!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/wavyfringe.jpg

Athena's Owl
May 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I do not have them, but that's because my hair is far too curly to wear bangs with - I don't think it's something that works on type 3 curlies. I could see a front "layer" of curls cut shorter to make updos less severe, though. kind of like the side-swept bangs thing except the curls are cut to be about collarbone length.