PDA

View Full Version : The World of Hair

x0h_bother
December 10th, 2010, 01:26 PM
P&G Beauty and Grooming Publication http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/the-world-of-hair1.html

When I first became a "longhair," I read this article which made me turn my flat iron down and with the help of LHC put it down all together. After reading this article, I learned about damage, especially "bubble hair," and thus better hair care began. I thought I would share the article, which is now in website form.
Basically, if P&G made heat appliances, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

aenflex
December 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah this has been around for a while. I've read it myself a few times. Mostly I think it's a pretty good, informative article.
I don't like Mega Corporations, though, and PG is certainly one. And they test on animals.

CarpeDM
December 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I have a question, is bubble hair the same as white dotted ends?

x0h_bother
December 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have a question, is bubble hair the same as white dotted ends?

Yes, I believe so, and some people get them without heat. I think it's a weak spot that will break.

Yeah, the companies do have motivation in writing this, they want us to think their products 'fix' things.

CarpeDM
December 11th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Interesting. I found a bunch of them on the ends of new hair growing in and couldn't figure out why I had them. However my hair dresser used a flat iron on me after a trim so I'm not sure if that did it or not. Thanks for the reply!

Sundial
December 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM
x0h_bother I'm so glad you shared the link and highlighted the part about "bubble hair"! I got curious and went directly to that link, and it suddenly occurred to me why I have never been able to grow out my hair even when I was 'supposedly' taking good care of it!

For the past 3-4 years, I have been getting hair treatments done in salons every month and they have always used high heat while the treatments were being done and they had a tendency to set hairdryers on the highest setting (presumably to get the job done fast so that I could vacate for the next client). It always looks healthy and shiny for the first 3 weeks or so, then it starts looking dull and the vicious cycle begins again.

During this time, my virgin hair grew and I have been wondering why the texture seems so different from before. Based on what I read from some threads here, I thought it could be due to hormonal changes or age etc. But now I realize it is probably the 'bubble hair' effect!

That would explain why the last couple inches of my virgin hair (from when I stopped going to salons post-LHC) feels completely different from the ones which have been treated!! :doh: I can't believe I spent all the time/money/effort on something which I thought was good for my hair when it was in fact causing more damage in the process!! Stupid stupid stupid! :(

GRU
December 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I can't believe I spent all the time/money/effort on something which I thought was good for my hair when it was in fact causing more damage in the process!! Stupid stupid stupid! :(

And what does it say about the moral integrity of the salons, stylists, and product companies that they SELL you this stuff JUST to make money off of you, knowing that it's causing damage?

Talk about snake oil salesmen....

bluesnowflake
December 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Good explanation of hair damage- pretty self-explanatory advice, but nice to know exactly why some processes are so damaging.

einna
December 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Very informative article. Glad Ì stopped using heat!