PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair get wavier/curlier when it's damaged?

BellCat
December 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I know this sounds weird, but ever since I've given up heat and started to properly look after my hair it's drying straighter (naturally) than it used to. Before when I did what I wanted with my hair some days it would air dry really wavy and others not :/ Now it drys almost completely straight ? I know hair gets sort of straighter the longer it gets but my hair was still quite long when I damaged it etc :S

christine1989
December 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Mine does. It was about 3a/b back when I straightened everyday then I stopped heat styling, started oiling and taking care of it and it became less curly and more wavy. Now after over a year of taking good care of it and slowly snipping off the damage it is a 1b/c and much thicker. I think the increasing thickness had something to do with the changing texture as well as general health.

aenflex
December 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, better treatment in a few different ways overall has helped me change my hair texture and behaviour greatly.

rosieex3
December 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Mine is most definitely wavier when it's damaged. Before I started dying my hair I had very loose waves and they were not "piecey" or anything. Now that my hair is very much damaged from years of bleach and dye, the waves are separated into clumps, they are MUCH tighter waves, and some of the clumps or pieces start to spiral a bit.

pelicano
December 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, my hair used to be much curlier (was 3a but now 2c). When I look at photos from years ago, my hair is dryer, curlier and lighter in colour.

Rocket22
December 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
for sure the damage hair on me is straighter my under hair is much curlier. (only highlight the top)

Leisje
December 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
When my hair was very damaged I had ringlets, now my hair is 1c in texture. Mostly straight with a bit of wave.
So I would say yes, damage can make hair curlier.

curlymarcia
December 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM
My hair is the opposite, I have curly hair 3b/3c and the ends tends to get straighter (with just a small tiny trim it gets curly from the roots to the tips). If my hair is dry it also gets less curls, so more oil/moisture for me is equal to curlier hair. I believe damage tends to change hair texture (in the curlies the damage give straight hair and the opposite for the straight/wavy ladies), but who knows...

jojo
December 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I don't know I can't remember the last time my hair was damaged, though before LHC I used heat a lot so never got to see my hair in its natural state. My hair has always been curly/wavy and its only been the last 3 years that ive appreciated what I have and worked with it and not against it. My hair is getting wavier the long it gets.

bubblyredhead
December 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
While I heat styled and even for a fair amount of time after my hair was pretty curly with some waves and the longer I stopped heat styling and did more deep treatments and stopped using sls shampoo my hair has become much more straight with a little bit of wave/ flipyness at the ends

Thinthondiel
December 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The drier my hair is, the wavier it is. When it's more moisturised/oiled, it's a lot straighter and can't hold a curl well, whereas it can hold curls for days when it's dry.

patienceneeded
December 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
My hair is much more wavy and frizz prone when damaged too. The drier my hair is/feels the curlier and less behaved it seems to be. I stopped washing it every day about 2 years ago for that reason, now I only wash it every 2-3 days. I would go longer without washing except for the oil slick my scalp becomes. I really like my hair on the second day best, it is less frizzy/poofy/wavy and more like a waterfall (albeit a short waterfall right now...)

OperaTeacherMom
December 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
My hair is the opposite, I have curly hair 3b/3c and the ends tends to get straighter (with just a small tiny trim it gets curly from the roots to the tips). If my hair is dry it also gets less curls, so more oil/moisture for me is equal to curlier hair. I believe damage tends to change hair texture (in the curlies the damage give straight hair and the opposite for the straight/wavy ladies), but who knows...

Ditto this, my hair has gone from 2b/2c waves to a strong 3a curl pattern since I stopped using sulfates and cones.

Gilly
December 11th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Mine gets straighter the drier it is, if I keep up with the moisture its whurly but if I don't and let it get dry it just hangns in sulky straight bits, it looks awful when its mixed in with the rest of my hair:rolleyes:

Dragon
December 11th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Depends on what I wash it with.

SpeakingEZ
December 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The drier my hair is, the wavier it is. When it's more moisturised/oiled, it's a lot straighter and can't hold a curl well, whereas it can hold curls for days when it's dry.

This is exactly what happens to mine. My hair's gone through 4 stages, in this order: undamaged yet dry, damaged and dry, damaged and conditioned, healthy and conditioned.

My hair was the most wavy when it was undamaged yet dry and the most straight now that it is healthy and conditioned. I'm holding the weight of the conditioned hair as responsible for this, as my hair was half the weight when it was hip length but completely unnourished than now that it is APL/BSL and oiled, hennaed, and gets frequent deep conditions.

maus
December 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Another vote for straighter hair when healthy, moisturized and curlier/wavier when dry and damaged...

Laurenness
December 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I agree as well-the more damaged my hair it, the wavier it is. When it's very moisturized and undamaged, it's nice and straight. But then I have to make sure it doesn't get flat from all the weight...

lapushka
December 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Mine gets frizzier and extremely dry and not necessarily wavier when damaged. It needs a ton more moisture than normal in order to weigh it down somewhat, to get a decent and well-behaved wave pattern.

I think there's a difference between dry, undamaged, hair and dry, damaged, hair. To me the latter is a category all on its own. When my hair was ruined from bleach, dye (chemical and henna), highlights (yes, one thing after another), it got rougher, *extremely* dry and so much more frizzy, but not really more wavy than normal. It needed tons more conditioner for somewhat normal results.

mkmulwee
December 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm the odd woman out because my hair used to be stick straight when it was damaged and now it is developing a gentle wave pattern the last five inches of my hair.

princessp
December 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, and I LOVE how my hair now has an elegant wave instead of a crazy curl/frizz mess. I don't think my hair will ever go completely straight, but I wouldn't mind if it did. I really think straight healthy hair is gorgeous.

Bianca
December 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, used to have ringlets and frizz from bleaching. Today I only have a slight wave left and no frizz, weee:p

Miss the ringlets though. But I can still get it pretty curly with gel xD

einna
December 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
My hair seems to get straighter as it gets healthier, at least the top and ends. But it might be because it is longer, I`m not sure.
The underhair seems to get wavier for some reason.

xoxophelia
December 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Most definitely. The top of my hair (LHC virgin) is maybe 1c but it is too early to tell :)

AnnaJamila
December 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I've noticed a difference in shine since not dyeing with chemicals, but I never damaged it severely so nothing as pronounced as this!

kathyblack1
December 12th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Actually, I get the opposite reaction. Curly when healthy and when damaged, ugly frizz or lack of curls.