PDA

View Full Version : Hair Breakthrough Today!! Share my joy!!!

ruthietoothie
June 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ok, some of you may know that in my last year here at LHC, I have tried WO, NW/SO. In April, I quit NW, and was trying WO and Shampoo bars again. I haven't posted lately b/c I have been trying to get these to work for me. I even broke down and bought a "fancy" conditioner (no cones, or parabens...) to try CO. Nothing has been working. I have been very frustrated since my hair has just been horrid looking all the time. I'm also a bit of a "stickler" for natural hair care...since trying WO, I HATE spending money on products...I know, I'm weird, but it's a mental thing to me. I've worked so hard to get healthy hair, I don't want to go back to putting all kinds of chemicals and products in it. But, on the other hand, I don't want to have icky looking hair either!

Today, for the first time in MONTHS, my hair was clean and wonderful looking! It was soft, it was silky (and I'm a wavy...so my hair is not always soft or silky feeling). It had curls and waves to it that did not look clumpy...even after several hours! It was wonderful! I felt like I was walking on cloud nine!

You may be wondering what I did to my hair to get it to be this way. Easy...BS and ACV! I couldn't believe it! I was preparing my self mentally to have horrible hair again, but magically, as it was drying, it was looking and feeling great! I was amazed! I had tried BS/ACV almost 2 years ago, without success. So I have been thinking since then that it was just too drying for my hair. But today it worked!(I did use a different technique though). I don't know how long it will last, or if my hair will "get used" to it and react differently next time (a common thing for my hair to do:rolleyes:), but for today, my hair was nice! And I reveled in the opportunity to wear it down in public!

So, I know this sort of post should usually go in a journal, but I just had to share with all of you (who have helped and been so kind to me!) my glorious (and rare!) hair day!

I took pics, but then the camera batteries died. So, they are recharging now. I will add the pics as soon as I can get a chance (my next few days are pretty busy)!

If you've read this far...thank you! I appreciate your time!

And just b/c I think this guy is very appropriate for my feelings toward my hair today...:cheese:

ETA: So, these are the pics I took the day my hair was so nice! (It's still nice, and I haven't done anything to it since then!)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/2554260572_d1734bef28_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2345/2554261220_17eb1443d6_m.jpg

sahiba
June 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
What is BS? :o sorry for my ignorence.

buttons
June 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
What is BS? :o sorry for my ignorence.

I thought she was referring to baking soda, but I could be wrong :o

ruthietoothie
June 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, BS= Baking Soda! Sorry! I should be more clear!

Katja
June 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Congratulations! I was lurking in the NW/SO thread, and sympathized with your frustration. It is nice to see that you have found a natural method that is working for you. I hope that it keeps working.

maskedrose
June 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hurray! Hopefully the trend continues :)

connie
June 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Good for you! It's so nice to find something that works! :)

buttons
June 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Congrats on finding something that works! I was reading the NW/SO thread and read some of the posts on how frustrated you were with your hair, so I really hope this keeps working for you. :D

Pegasus Marsters
June 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'm so glad you found something that works. I just want to say, don't be afraid to use products. I know they're full of "icky chemicals" but isn't it better that you feel able to wear your hair down than having to pin it up constantly because it's too greasy or whatever to wear loose?

aisling
June 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Congrats! It sounds like you had a bunch of build up stuck to your hair after all those gentle produtcs and the BS + ACV got rid of it. I hope you find a routine that will work for you. I'd be careful with the BS, as it is a alkaline and open ups the scales of the hair shaft.

I also agree with Pegs, those icky chemicals may not always be that bad, natural isn't always better. My worst CO result was with a so called natural conditioner, too much oil in it to clean my hair properly and not enough chemicals ;)

goldenwaves
June 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM
That's great! But what is ACV?

Pegasus Marsters
June 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM
That's great! But what is ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar :flowers:

Saranne772
June 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Woo!! Congratulations :D:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

MadPirateBippy
June 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM
YAY! I use BS/ ACV as a shampoo and wash for about a month before I start getting crunchy and needing some oils on my ends, so there's hope for your hair liking it for a while. :) I have to say, though, I'm using Lush shampoo bars right now (the New scent- smells like cinnimon. Mmmm.) and my hair is happy happy happy.

Lamb
June 4th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Congratulations! I agree with aisling though, be careful with the BS, it can be quite harsh. But then, since you were WO and NW/SO for so long, your hair probably doesn't need to be washed so often. Anyway, I am very glad you have found something that makes you and your hair happy!

FrannyG
June 4th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I'm happy that you've found something that works. I assume that you were using the proper proportions of Baking Soda that won't be harmful for your hair. I know that there are a lot of people here that make a weak Baking Soda solution as their regular shampoo, and I'm sure you've read those threads.

Apple Cider Vinegar rinse is a wonderful rinse with any washing method, I find.

I do share your joy! :happydance:

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM
That's wonderful! A good hair day!!! WOOT! Hope you have found the answer! :cheese:

Sana
June 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM
congrats on finding something that really works for you!! I have used BS & ACV a couple of time in the past & I have to say it did make my hair feel good too!! But I wasn't sure if it was safe to use on a regular basis. Now that you remind me, I should try it again:)

ruthietoothie
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone! This time using the BS, I mixed two teaspoons w/ warm water...making sure it was thoroughly dissolved. I dumped it over my hair and "worked" it in w/ my fingers. Then I let it sit while I did my other showering duties. After a few minutes of it "soaking in", I rinsed it off. Then I did my usual ACV rinse proportions (I used to use ACV when I was WO...cover the bottom of a quart sized yogurt container, and dump that over my head) and washed it off. Then I did a final rinse w/ cool water. That was it.

I know I had great success w/ it this time, but I also know that it can be drying, so I am hoping to use the BS/ACV along w/ WO. Maybe use the BS/ACV once a week, and WO in between....I've heard of others doing something similar to that. I wouldn't mind experimenting w/ oils too! And even though I don't like chemicals for myself...if I really must use them to get socially acceptable hair...I will use them! BUt I would like to exhaust my other options first.

ruthietoothie
June 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Bump for added pics in OP!

Lova
June 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
You really make me wonan try baking soda but I can't seem to find any here in Belgium! I've read so many good things about baking soda.. it can apparantly whiten your teeth aswell.

Your hair looks amazing in those pics, especially the curly bottom