PDA

View Full Version : What long hairstyle makes a round face look longer & thinner?

Dreamkitty
December 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
:D I have a round face shape and I want my face to look thinner & longer. I want to avoid the hairstyles that just accentuates my round face shape even more.

I don't want to layer or cut my hair as I want long hair and im growing it.:o

So what can hairstyle would make my face less round or just suit the face shape that I have. Ive heard that pony tail is good if you want your face to look thinner:) When I get to my goal length its very important that I figure out a hairstyle that suits my face shape.

pepperminttea
December 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Avoid Heidi or coronet-style braids. I don't, fully knowing that they make my face look even rounder, because I like them. :p

Lianna
December 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I believe hair completly off the face will make it appear rounder (happens to me). What minimizes is a high bun that can been seen a little bit from the front and sides. Bangs and/or some hair on the sides of the face, longer than chin if possible. Generally hair around the face...like side ponys/buns, piggytails (braided or not).

baaaad_kitty
December 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hello fellow moon-faced goddess! LOL that's what me and 2 of my other round-faced friends call each other. Our faces are round, they stand out in pictures with flash like moons.

I have always liked layers around the face, which will not affect the overall length of the hair. My longest layers are somewhere at my jaw line. I also sometimes have had my hair person cut in side swept bangs, so the widest part of my face will be hidden.

christine1989
December 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
My face is pretty round too but I don't really go out of my way to make it look less round. Generally updos draw attention to your face shape and makes a round face look rounder. I find that wearing my hair down or up with a few loose strands in front makes it appear longer and more oval. Bangs are also good for downplaying a round face especially longer ones.

Wish
December 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I find that a ponytail with loose hair forming a "bump" on top looks best, adding length but not width. Also, a french braid down the back slims.

prosperina
December 11th, 2010, 12:55 AM
What's your hair type, Dreamkitty? Wearing my hair curly/wavy which is what it is naturally helps. Straighter hair makes my face look fuller.

JulietCapulet
December 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Round faces are pretty. I have a friend with a round face who piles a fat bun on top and it looks gorgeous! I can't do it because I have a longer oval face.

milagro
December 11th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Round faces are pretty.
Second this.

Dreamkitty, you are young and still have some baby fat and it's always adorable. I'm sure you can sport any hair style. Your face will get thinner with age.

Lemur_Catta
December 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM
What's your hair type, Dreamkitty? Wearing my hair curly/wavy which is what it is naturally helps. Straighter hair makes my face look fuller.

It's funny, because my hair is naturally straight and my face, while not round, is a bit fat, and when I *tried* to wear my hair wavy\curly, it didn't help at all :D Maybe this is because the hair we were born with is the best for us, most of the times :D

For the OP: Face-framing layers. I know you said you don't want them, but they help and soften updos as well. Try having them longer than chin, so you can easily put them up when you don't want them. Mine are chin length now and when I need all my hair out of my face, I just pin them up with bobby pins.
I think bangs would make your face even rounder, because they would subtract length.

frizzinator
December 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Part the hair in the middle, without fringe, so that both sides of the face is partially hidden by hair. Your hands will frequently be on the hair around your face, temporarily pushing and pulling it out of your eyes. You could hold the hair out of your face with barettes, but I think the face will look thinner and longer without barettes.

An alternative hairstyle, for when you are tired of pushing hair out of your eyes, is to part the hair slightly to one side, and use a barette or a side comb to hold the hair out of the eyes, on one side only- the side with the most hair.

The side comb adds a lot of style. The way you insert it is the key to keeping hair on the face but out of the eyes.

Insert it by loosely twisting the hair that would fall into the eyes, then insert the comb upside down, pushing toward the face, then flip it over and push it in place away from the face.

This method allows a side part to be almost as face covering as a middle part, and it is a great style if you are growing out bangs and need to keep the fringe out of your eyes.

neon-dream
December 11th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I also have a very round face :). I don't mind though, I wear any style that I feel like.
So, when I can't really be bothered to do anything with it, I put it all up in a bun or a braid, but I wear it down or in half-ups when I feel like not having a round face hah!

ravenreed
December 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM
My face is round because I have gained a lot more weight than makes me happy. My face looks thinnest with my hair down, and my face framing layers help. With my hair up and pulled straight back, that is when my face is the roundest. If I can pull it back but still have a part, it is a little less so.

Something I have been doing recently is using a bit of makeup to contour my face so it looks less chubby. It must be working because someone asked me if I lost weight and I hadn't actually lost any.

Dorothy
December 11th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I think bangs help my round face, although I can see the point about shortening the face. My bangs are cut straight across, just above my eyebrows. Visually, I think rather than shortening my face, they allow my face to borrow height from my head. I'm not sure how else to say that. But you would want to be very sure (perhaps by altering a picture of yourself?) that you want them before you cut them because they'd be a pain in the tush to grow out.

lapushka
December 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Agreeing with the higher buns, esp. the ones that poke out on top a little - it helps. I have a round face too. Parting your hair on the side, instead of in the middle. What else? Putting your hair up in a half-up (with some poof in front), then bunning the rest.

Dreamkitty
December 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
:) Thanks everyone for the advice, interesting replies. Im going to try all of them out, maybe take photos of myself and see which style is my favourite.

My face is round in general, but I think my face looks full too & Im trying to lose weight for my health.When I reach my goal weight, my face shape might change slightly but thats a different story altogether. :D

I asked for my mums and aunt opinion on what I suit best

My mum thinks my hair in a plait or a high pony tail looks best.

My aunt thinks most of my hair over to one side suits me.

So sometimes I can't decide:o. I just want a hairstyle that frames my face.

I was looking at this website. Which lists best and worst hairstyle for round faces with examples of a few celebs. But most of them have layered hair and doesn't have hairstyle for waist length which is my goal in the future.

http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstylephotogalleries/ss/roundfa.htm

fairystar32
December 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I have a round face and chubby cheeks and think thats why everyone thinks I am a lot younger than I am..
But I hate my chubby cheeks. I find I prefer my hair down and with a fringe. in pictures where I grew my fringe out it makes my face fatter (so I ended up chopping it back in several times now!) and also when my hair is up it makes it fatter/rounder.
I have a few layers to frame it at the front.

torrilin
December 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Avoid Heidi or coronet-style braids. I don't, fully knowing that they make my face look even rounder, because I like them. :p

On me, it gives me the look of a heart shaped face. Definitely not longer and thinner, but... it means it looks like I have a chin.

sibiryachka
December 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Anything pulled back severely emphasizes my round face; having some wisps/layers around the face plays it down, although the little fluttery wisps drive me insane. The most flattering/lengthening style I've found for my face is, to my surprise, twin braids.

Dreamkitty
December 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Anything pulled back severely emphasizes my round face; having some wisps/layers around the face plays it down, although the little fluttery wisps drive me insane. The most flattering/lengthening style I've found for my face is, to my surprise, twin braids.

:) Oh my mum said the exact same thing, that my face really suits twin braids.

bunzfan
December 12th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I envy you all ... i have a long thin face and even though i like my hair up it makes my face look thinner.

curlymarcia
December 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I too have a round face. I found high up-dos (from ponytails to buns) flattering, my hair down (I don't have a layering frame I just put some hair in front of your face). About the bangs, they can be very useful but they are tricky, so you have to try. I tried fake bangs before I cut mine, but altering one photo should do the same.

Anje
December 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Supposedly, face-framing layers help make faces look thinner. Personally, I don't believe it -- to my eye it looks like there's potentially a lot more face hiding behind the side bits. I think my round-ish face looks thinner with everything pulled back, maybe with a little makeup to accentuate the cheekbones and the slight dip under them.

ETA: I'd also say "no bangs", because I think they visually shorten any face, making it look shorter and wider. But I'm pretty universally anti-bangs. I think foreheads look intelligent.

HintOfMint
December 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I have found that a side braid with side swept bangs brushed mostly off my face is the most slimming of an updo. I know it sounds weird to have bangs but not have them be on your face, but when they're brushed to the side, you can still see a bit of volume without them hiding your forehead. It somehow works. Also, if you're wearing it up, make sure your neck is open. A v-neck is the best. But wearing it loose is the most slimming for me. I have a notoriously round face, chipmunk cheeks and all. And I'm skinny so no amount of weight loss is going to change that. Le sigh. I've learned to make peace with my face shape over the years. But I still stay away from turtlenecks.