PDA

View Full Version : Blow Drying Quitters Anonymous

JulietCapulet
December 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Hi! I am proud to say I am a recent quitter of blow drying at the salon every week. It's a big deal for me and has been very hard to achieve. In fact it has taken me my whole life to get here.

Has anyone else had this experience as well?

Olyve
December 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I have blow dried my hair for as long as I can remember and just recently stopped. I use it on my bangs still as they would look awful ( I am growing them out..again) but the rest of my hair has been blow dry free for about 3 weeks and the shine is unbelievable.

terrylillyd
December 10th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I have quit blow drying and use of a curling iron for 1 year and one month now. I love it. When I stopped using heat, my hair stopped depending on it. Another plus, it has greatly shortened my time for getting ready to go out.

Aveyronnaise
December 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I have gone through periods in the past of not using blowdryers, but gone back to it .
This time I can say that I am done, I live in a very chilly climate and i am just kind of scheduling my washes.
My hair has changed radically over the past month of no heat, it's shiny and less ' rough' if that makes any sense ? Love it !
I'm done with heat.

Dyefree
December 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Oh yes, count me in!

Proud to say I've been totally heat free for almost 8 weeks ( yes I am counting). It feels great to be liberated from hours of styling..... I've always wanted to be a wash n go type person and now I am! :D

The only thing I will say is it's funny how I suddenly don't feel confident enough to blow-dry or style my own hair.... If I have a special occasion to go to, I'd rather go to a salon for a professional blow-dry :o

Mina17
December 10th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I have been heat-free for a week now. It's been hard-- my hair is at an awkward stage and it takes a long time to dry. Before that I was washing, blowdrying, and flatironing a couple of troublesome spots almost daily :eek:. Considering all that I was putting my hair through, I can't wait to see what it will look like after taking better care of it for awhile.

kristymarie87
December 10th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I wish i could...

If i dont use it it takes hours for my hair to dry and it looks poofy in places and a mess. That means i would have to iron it.

I use it usually 3-4 times per week and im trying to use it to straighten my hair so i can give up the straighteners (almost there!).

Plus i live in a basement flat in the UK and its freezing atm! I have to at least blast it for a few minutes before bed!

Once i get between APL and BSL (i can see APL isnt going to be an easy tme for me) i aim to give up altogether!

Well done ladies :D

principesse
December 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I am slowly trying to do that but don't think I can ever really be completely heat-free. My hair is just too frizzy. I have quit blowdrying but continue to use a flat iron. If anyone has any tips on how to reduce the frizz without using a flat iron, I would love to try them.

smileycat
December 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
My hair had a few days of transitioning where the front looked really flat, and then was fine. Similar to terrylillyd, my hair just quit needing the blowout to look good. My hair was too short to wear up then, but I did clip the front section back quite a bit.

You can do it! I never thought I would give up 20 years of blowing my hair out, but my hair is so much shinier with less splits now that I will never go back!

chopandchange
December 10th, 2010, 05:46 AM
In winter I do dry the roots, to avoid catching cold, but the rest of it air-dries. My hair is much, much healthier than it was four years ago when I was still using heat.

Lemur_Catta
December 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I am heat-free in the summer, but I blow dry in the winter because I wash at night and I can't sleep on damp hair, it just makes me shiver!
Anyway, I don't style my hair, I just dry keeping the blow dryer vertically, medium heat, above my hair...and I move it around with my fingers so that the air gets everywhere.
I haven't noticed more damage than usual (my hair is quite damaged from chemicals) but the top section, the one which is not damaged, is softer and more sleek when I blow dry. It looks and feels better, like if all the hairs go in the same direction.
When I let my hair air dry, it doesn't turn out that sleek.
After washing (no cone shampoo-no cone conditioner-acv rinse) I put on my hair 2 drops of argan oil, one on the length and one on the ends, and 2 drops of a coney serum to protect my hair from heat..again, 1 drop on the length, 1 on the ends. Then I blow dry.

ETA: my hair in my sig pic is air dried and then put in a bun while it was slightly damp...you can see it is shiny but not very sleek.

CrisDee
December 10th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I haven't blown my hair dry since the beginning of August when I discovered hair wrapping! :cheese:

I shower/CO wash at night, wrap my very wet hair around my head and secure with a stretchy satin scarf I bought from Sally's. In the morning, I just remove the scarf - :magic:, smooth, styled hair! (see avatar)

Of course, my hair is still quite short, so it's dry in the morning when I remove the scarf. I'm very eager to see how long my hair will be before I can't use this method anymore. What I'm hoping is that by the time this happens, it'll be long enough where I can use that method (that of course I can't find the link to right now) where you do a very high, crown ponytail, then wind the length in a scarf and bun for the night.

All that being said, giving up blow drying and the large barrel curling iron have made a HUUUUUGE difference in the health of my hair. Between the heat and the yanking on the hair with the round brush, it's soooo nice to be rid of the damage those cause! :)

BellCat
December 10th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I'm completely heat free since joining LHC. I was inspired by all the healthy heads of hair and realised I'd never reach my goal unless I stopped completely!! (my hair is really fine and easily damaged!) :)

restourceful
December 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm completely heat free since joining LHC, too, BellCat. That's almost a whole year for me! I had no idea I had great waves; I always thought my hair was straight since I had blowfried it to death! But I love my waves and the freedom of wash and go.