PDA

View Full Version : Mark in hair from ponytail

monsterna
December 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hey everyone. My hair is in a semi-awkward stage as my shortest layer, which is almost to my shoulders (the length is a couple inches past the shoulder, yet flips out). So, pretty much every day I wear it up in a ponytail when I'm at work. I'm just using your average black, thin elastic ponytail holder.

I guess everyone gets those marks or 'dents' in their hair from where their ponytail has say all day. Where it just creases and looks pretty ridiculous (at least on me since it's kind of high up). However, I get these creases even after leaving in the ponytail for 2-3 minutes and then taking it back down? I was wondering if that's normal or just my hair type? I have slightly wavy hair when it air dries, but it gets straight no problem once I blow dry it. It's really annoying when I mess up the style of the updo and want to take it down and try again, but I've got a crease there already. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem!

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I get a crease but only after wearing a ponytail all day. I think my hair is resistent to it since it is pretty coarse. You probobly get it eaiser if your hair is finer. Luckily it usually brushes right out especially if you wet your brush a bit first.

ddiana1979
December 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Is your hair completely dry when you put the ponytail in? I usually only get a crease if my hair is damp or if I leave it in for a few hours. Do you think maybe you're putting it on too tight?

Laurenness
December 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM
That's strange. I agree with diana that it might be in a bit too tight. Maybe if you put it on 100% dry hair loosely, it won't do that. Mine only does that after several hours of being in....

DARKMARTIAN
December 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I get a crease or wave, as it were, from this as well. But usually i ponytail my hair when damp to let it dry. But even so, any crease that happens as a result of the ponytail just blends in with my natural waves from what ive seen ......

monsterna
December 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It's not too tight I don't think. It's tight enough to hold all the hair in place all day, but not so tight it's noticeable/painful to my scalp or anything. Also, my hair is completely dry when I do put it up.

Tis very weird. Just waiting until it grows a few more inches and gets past the whole "shortest layers flip inward and longest layers flip out" stage. It's awful, haha.

Alix
December 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I get a crease if I put my hair in ponytail to brush my teeth. When it's completely dry. It's ridiculous. I mean, it's nice because my hair will hold a curl for days, but it's not so nice when you know, I don't want the ponytail crease. I just a large butterfly clip not a lot of the time when I want my hair out of my face just for a short period of time.

monsterna
December 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I get a crease if I put my hair in ponytail to brush my teeth. When it's completely dry. It's ridiculous. I mean, it's nice because my hair will hold a curl for days, but it's not so nice when you know, I don't want the ponytail crease. I just a large butterfly clip not a lot of the time when I want my hair out of my face just for a short period of time.

Yes, I use a big clip when I don't want the crease. Even when just doing my makeup, because the last thing I do is my hair. It's not just ponytail holders either, it's even headbands. When I try to get my bangs out of my face while doing makeup, even after a minute of the hairband being over them, it ruins their shape and I have to wet them and dry them all over again. It's kind of insane, or driving me that way.

Alix
December 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah I feel your pain, if I put my hair behind my ears? Mark. If I look at it funny? Mark. Even bobby pins. I do know that if I sleep on it for a night the marks tend to go away.

mellie89
December 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM

My hair is the same way. Must be something about fine hair, I guess. Heck, I don't even know what my true hair type is because I always have some sort of waves or kinks or creases in it from ponytails and buns with elastics.

I like those butterfly clips too. I also have a couple old school scrunchies that don't give me much of a crease, if I'm just going to be in my room. :o

Olyve
December 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
My hair is the same way. I dislike it.

I want to be able to put it up and let it back down without the dent!

Lize
December 10th, 2010, 12:37 AM
From another 1c (my hair sounds very much like yours, straight but holds a wave pretty well, and is a bit wavy after washings), yes it's normal. My hair has always been like this. If I chose to put it up I can not have it down again until it's been washed because it will be all shaped from the updo.

Katze
December 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Interesting, all of us with similar hairtypes have similar problems!

I either wet my hair afterwards and gently comb it/pull it/smooth it straight (much less damaging than blowdrying!) or I leave it up (in your case, in the ponytail) until washing again.

Our hairtype (fine, wavy) is quite hard to learn to handle, IMO. I could never understand why people with straight(er) hair (my sister...) could just 'throw' their hair up in a ponytail take it down, and have it look good. Mine needs a LOT of planning to look halfway decent, and honestly, it doesn't look good about 50% of the time - but I am regrowing a postpartum shed and that creates HUGE problems.

It is getting better the better shape my hair is in - my hair is getting thicker, so there is less that gets 'dented'...if that makes sense...

Mina17
December 10th, 2010, 03:38 AM
My hair is 2a and F/M and does that too! Ponytail holder, headband, barrettes, all leave an impression in my hair even after only a few minutes. The only thing that doesn't is a claw or butterfly clip. Some of my coworkers put their hair up and down all day and it looks great, but once mine is up it's got to stay up until it's washed.

foggybrooke
December 10th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Count me in! It is sooooo frustrating! Once my hair goes in a ponytail it has to stay until I am at least back home and out of the public eye. Right now my hair only has 2 updo type options, a ponytail (what I do when I put it up dry) and a claw clip (what I do when I put it up wet). To get it up in a claw clip I pull it back like I am going to put it in a ponytail but instead of securing it, I grab the "length" pull it upwards and twist once. I then secure the twisted length to my head with a claw clip. Since my hair bends in the same place no matter how I put it up (and it is up every day, for like 16+ hours) I am convinced I am permanently causing a bend in my hair. Even wet I think it looks bent! I have almost convinced myself I am not really permanently bending my hair but can't wait until I have another updo option!

Coan-Teen
December 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM
And mine. Once up, it cannot be brought down without a good washing. The creases! It's maddening. For me just dampening my hair is not enough either. I have to fully wet it for the problem to go away.

kristymarie87
December 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM
My hair is at the exact same length, layers and everything. It does the same thing. Even when i just hold it up in a pony or twist with my hands its leaves kinks and flips. So if i try an updo i have to have it up all night as if i let it down its all flippy with marks.

I dont know why, maybe its the texture, my hair is also completely dry when i do it. Its offputting when you want to try a style but then decide you want it down and cant!

I have quite thick hair or lots of it, im not sure. It also kinks on my shoulders - i blowdry it straight and in 5 minutes its moulded to my shoulders and flicking out!

I feel your pain!!

RachelRain
December 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
My hair won't hold braid waves or curls, but it gets pony marks too. I think it might have to do with how fine your hair is... my boyfriend gets it when he puts his hair up too, but nobody else I know does, and they've all got much thicker individual hairs than we do. I just put mine down at the nape of my neck now, or slightly above it, and then it's less noticeable... especially if you've got a sweater/jacket with a hood, because your hair will have a bump anyways from the hood.

Are you able to use clips to make ponys? I can if my hair is wet, and it stops the mark from showing, but sometimes you have to deal with quite a bit of slippage and adjusting... just a thought.

monsterna
December 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Well, looks like I'm not just crazy or really unlucky (well, I still feel unlucky!). It must be a fine hair thing. And I, too, get the flippy at the shoulders. It's maddening. My hair is straight other than some slight waves, and I'm just waiting for it to get past the shoulders enough for gravity to do it's work and stop it from flipping up constantly.

My hair is too fine and at such a length that clips alone won't hold it up (or maybe mine don't close tight enough). I'm very picky about having only clips in the hair, as I find my head shape weird (others probably don't though), and I like to have lots of volume on top which is hard to get with clips. When I put my hair in a ponytail, I usually pull on it some from the top and slide a bit out to let it poof nicely and give some more volume so it's not flat against my head.

lajsa
December 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
It's probably about texture. It's like braid waves, I suppose. I can put a braid in totally dry hair and take it out a while later and still have braid waves. :p But since I like braids (and the waves make my hair look thicker!) and hate ponytails (they pull so awfully on me and I don't like them at all...), it doesn't bother me.

RachelRain
December 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Well, looks like I'm not just crazy or really unlucky (well, I still feel unlucky!). It must be a fine hair thing. And I, too, get the flippy at the shoulders. It's maddening. My hair is straight other than some slight waves, and I'm just waiting for it to get past the shoulders enough for gravity to do it's work and stop it from flipping up constantly.

My hair is too fine and at such a length that clips alone won't hold it up (or maybe mine don't close tight enough). I'm very picky about having only clips in the hair, as I find my head shape weird (others probably don't though), and I like to have lots of volume on top which is hard to get with clips. When I put my hair in a ponytail, I usually pull on it some from the top and slide a bit out to let it poof nicely and give some more volume so it's not flat against my head.

I gave up ages ago caring about being volumeless... the only way I have volume to my hair is if it's wicked short (like, too short to do anything with), and then it's just annoying. So I've embraced the helmet head. The clips I use for ponys are sort of weird looking... they look kind of like the octopus clips, but more rounded. I ganked them from a friend years ago when she was tossing out a bunch of stuff.

I've never had layers though, unless you count all the times I had to grow out bangs that hairdressers thought I needed (high forehead - something else I've embraced, although obviously they hadn't...), so I don't know if that would exacerbate the problem.