PDA

View Full Version : Hats...

erika_d
December 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I love me some hats. Do we consider them protective or damaging? Either way, I'm sill going to wear mine because I love them so much,

I have ball caps, running caps, berets, brimmed hats, and a fedora. :crush:

pepperminttea
December 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I love woolly winter hats and big summer floaty ones, but they don't love me. :p I've been meaning to line some of them in silk to make them more hair-friendly, but I definitely think they'd be protective from the elements.

Eva_M
December 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I think hats are protective in general, they cover our hair from the sun, the cold, the rain and even the wind. I love hats too although I don't wear them so often cause they mess my hair up!

Mina17
December 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Good question! I was wondering this too since the temps are getting really cold here, and I'm eyeing my winter hats. What materials/fibers are better than others?

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I sometimes tuck my hair into a hat which is a lot better than letting it flap around in the wind ;).

cuppycake
December 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I love beanies. Nice and warm. Although they do screw my hair up.

Anje
December 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Good question! I was wondering this too since the temps are getting really cold here, and I'm eyeing my winter hats. What materials/fibers are better than others?
I think silk is the ideal for hat linings, but for winter hats, I think the major requirements are that it (1) fits over hairdos, (2) doesn't leave lint in hair, and (3) is warm and wind doesn't go through it. Finding things that are wind-resistant is the tough one, in my experience, followed by hats that fit over buns so I don't have to wear my hair in braids exclusively. As is, I wear pins more and hairsticks less in the winter due to hat-compatibility.

spitfire511
December 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Although I'm sure it's not hair friendly, I do adore baseball caps. :)

I've been told that I look good in hats, but I feel silly in them unless they're of the baseball variety.

Dragon
December 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I think it helps protect the hair and scalp when out doors but best to take it off when in doors so your scalp can breath. I always were a cap when out side.

pinchbeck
December 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good question! I was wondering this too since the temps are getting really cold here, and I'm eyeing my winter hats. What materials/fibers are better than others?I think cotton is a good fiber because it is natural and doesn't cause static. But, if a person is going to brave the cold for an extended period of time wool or syntheitc fibers are the way to go. Keeping warm is a must.

I wish there were hat manufacturers that would make wool or acrylic hats and line them with cotton (or a specially made silk where the silk worms aren't killed). I have seen the cotton-acrylic combo in infant and toddler hats, but not in adult sized winter hats.

Angeletti
December 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I live in hats when having to go out in public on non wash days, I don't know what I'd do without them! I just bought another one to add to my collection today, it's a knitted newsboy style that's perfect for winter.

Kosmos
December 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I own 32 hats. I have a hat addiction.

I've never seen damage from my hats and believe they actually protect my hair from the sun/elements.

ladycaladium
December 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I adore hats and wish I wore them more often than I do. In the summer I do try to wear a hat when I'm outside. The hat wearing kind of dies down in autumn and picks back up right around now. And there is a cute hat I am eyeing for Christmas...

spidermom
December 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I love hats enough to have a photo album devoted to them (but I don't have very many).

Purdy Bear
December 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I live and die in hats due to the alopecia but its also taught me a lot. Dont go for straw as this really scratches the scalp, as does some nylons.

I try the lineing against the back of my hand to see if it itches or scratches this way I know it will be ok for me.

Iv knitted lots of hats, beanies etc, and have Winter and Summer hats. I have a wonderful black and white check Trillbee which I love, as I can tighten the rim on a windy day.

PS: If the hat is too tight it will give you a headache, so measure your head to get the right size, and Iv found some great hats on Ebay at very good prices.

ingvild
December 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Well, hats are a total necessity for me, so I don't really think of whether they are good for my hair or not. I knit them myself, but that's mainly because I hate synthetic fibers and the general variety of hats that they sell in the shops.

For max softness AND warmth, (baby) alpaca or alpaca/silk blends are great fibers. So soft. But I also like merino wool and regular wool too! I'm not picky with fibers really, as long as it's not synthetic... or cotton. Berets and slouchy hats don't touch my hair much and my hair looks good afterwards too.

Ludde
December 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I believe I was born with a baseball cap on my head. It was one long uncomfortable period before I found my new solution; a huge Australian leather hat with a chin strap. It is a darling!

cataphract
December 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I too love hats! Though my interests extend mostly to the vintage 40's style smallish hats. Unfortunately I've not been able to find one I've felt comfortable sporting though.

I do, however have a multitude of knitted and crocheted hats/scarves that I wear on my head in the winter done by myself or my family. I even have an elf like hood (wool) with a cotton lining my mom sewed in for me! It's the only one that doesn't leave me with hat-hair (on days that I care about that over warmth) and it has room enough to put it on over buns and hairsticks without squishing my head.

DARKMARTIAN
December 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The only hats I ever wear are just your typical knit winter style hats......

Oh and sometimes bandannas......

Intransigentia
December 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I love hats and in my alternate-universe life where I'm a fearless, eccentric artist, I wear little pre-1950s hats with net veils, all the time. In real life, I have a few hats, but wear them far too rarely, because my hair only fits in them if I wear it down. I shoud make some with more room, or adjustable.

jesis
December 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I would say protective but mine make my curly hair frizzy. Sad day :(

jesis
December 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I own 32 hats. I have a hat addiction.

I've never seen damage from my hats and believe they actually protect my hair from the sun/elements.

:agape:

That is a lot of hats. LOL.

Gilly
December 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have an Akubra territory which I love but its so huge I can't shoot in it!
I also have 2 large brimmed straw hats and a ferrari baseball cap.

HoneyJubilee
December 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I love my hats! I haven't noticed that mine damage my hair at all, but I'm not sure I wear them often enough to notice minor damage.

I have fedoras (3 black, 1 navy, 1 beige/gold...all vintage except one of the black ones), a very old top hat (black), and something that was sold to me as a ladies' fedora but doesn't really look fedora-ish (black with a huge black ostrich feather).