PDA

View Full Version : I love my boar bristle brush but Im worried it will shred my hair?

Dreamkitty
December 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I finally bought the boar bristle brush from boots. Its 50% natural bristle and 50% ionic. Apparently the other 50% is supposed to help with creating silky, shiny hair.

When I use it on a few sections of my hair, I really notice a difference. The brush makes my hair look silky & smooth then any shampoo, conditioner that I have used.

Only one problem. The brush gets stuck down the middle of my hair which is very annoying. I stopped halfway as I did not want to risk shredding my hair into bits.

I have hair that is thick, wavy & fluffy when dry. What is the best way to safely use a boar bristle brush for this hair type?.

spidermom
December 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I always detangle with my comb first. Once I can comb through and find no snags, then I use my brush, but carefully - a brush can find snags that a comb missed.

CarpeDM
December 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes I second that, run a wide tooth comb through your hair first to get the snags out before you brush.

pepperminttea
December 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Always detangle first. Never, ever use it on wet or damp hair. Follow each brushstroke with the palm of your other hand. :)

ChloeDharma
December 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Always detangle first. Never, ever use it on wet or damp hair. Follow each brushstroke with the palm of your other hand. :)

This advice is especially important when using a BBB! I can use my wooden brush on wet-ish hair but definately not a BBB.

The advice to thoroughly detangle first is also important. A BBB is great for smoothing, stimulating the scalp, distributing oil and removing skin cells from the scalp but never as a detangler.
Also once you have detangled it is best to start brushing from the bottom of the hair, say, the last 4 inches. Once that is smoothed you can move up towards the scalp a few inches at a time until all minor tangled a wide tooth comb can't remove are gone.
If you start at the scalp then as the brush moves down the hair shafts it compounds what would otherwise be easily smoothed tangles into a more significant one causing breakage.
Once the length is smoothed you can do a thorough scalp brushing and have minimal problems.

principesse
December 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Like everyone said, make sure to detangle with a wide-toothes comb before brushing. I would also suggest that you start brushing from the bottom up (i.e. take a strand and start brushing the ends and then go a few inches higher and start brushing, etc.)

camara
December 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM
My hair shreds boar bristle brushes. The boar bristles just break off after an all to short time of using the brush. And I don´t detangle with a comb, because my hair eats combs by the dozen, if I let it.

It depends on your hairtype, though, probably.

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
My hair used to be just like that- thick, wavy and fluffy. Now it is thick, straight and fluffy but I still can't get a BBB through it without ripping both my hair and the bristles out :(. I think some hair is just not made for brushing. Maybe brushing in smaller sections would work or combing first to get the tangles out THEN brushing.