PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchies?

BellCat
December 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Are scrunchies protective?
I've been braiding my hair since joining to try and protect it but i don't think my ends are protected. Are scrunchies okay to use without causing damage. I have no hair toys and can't do a pencil bun properly.

bumblebums
December 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Scrunchies are fine. I made a satin one, and it's made a huge difference for my ends. I used to use "no damage" elastics to tie off my braid, but they were pretty obviously roughing my cuticle up and causing damage. With the scrunchy, the ends are looking much better.

BellCat
December 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Scrunchies are fine. I made a satin one, and it's made a huge difference for my ends. I used to use "no damage" elastics to tie off my braid, but they were pretty obviously roughing my cuticle up and causing damage. With the scrunchy, the ends are looking much better.
yeah thats exactly what im using to tie off my braids but i cant stop playing with my ends during the day! I think it's scrunchie time!! :D

bumblebums
December 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
yeah thats exactly what im using to tie off my braids but i cant stop playing with my ends during the day! I think it's scrunchie time!! :D

I always end up playing with my ends unless my hair is in a bun!

By the way, if the pencil bun gives you trouble, try a Nautilus--it should be very doable at your current length an thickness. Cinnamon buns are also really easy, once you get the hang of chopsticks. Check http://www.youtube.com/user/frannyshairstyles and http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige for some ideas (and they both have videos that explain how to use hairsticks).

The easiest and gentlest hair accessory, in my opinion, is a Flexi-8.

feralnature
December 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I use a soft scrunchie for a ponytail or a single braid and feel it does not tear my hair.

Capybara
December 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Scrunchies are great! They're much softer and more gentle than hair elastics.

andrea1982
December 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I use scrunchies too. I don't think they damage my hair at all.

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Scruchies are very hair friendly...now if only I could manage to wear one without looking straight out of the 90s... :)

Lianna
December 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
They work for me, specially because I can't do a bun with just hairsticks yet, they have been very useful. There are very cute ones if you look for them.

Kathie
December 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm a scrunchy fan too. I have silk and velvet ones. I'm really liking the velvet ones at the moment because they hold the hair a little better.

jojo
December 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I always use scrunchies, i love cinnamon buns secured with them; my most used bun!

Angeletti
December 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I usually sew my own scrunchies that way I can make them more appealing to look at rather than the huge ones from the 90's, I usually make a smaller version of them so they aren't so "poofy".

bumblebums
December 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I usually sew my own scrunchies that way I can make them more appealing to look at rather than the huge ones from the 90's, I usually make a smaller version of them so they aren't so "poofy".

I don't know what you ladies are talking about :) I lived through the nineties and somehow managed not to embarrass myself with any scrunchies back then! I did have one, for the two or so years that I had long hair, but I made it myself so it was modestly sized...

I'm totally with you on the homemade scrunchy thing, by the way--I have looked in stores, and they were all either made with hair-unfriendly synthetic material or are way too big and floppy. I only ever use my scrunchies to tie off my braid, so they don't need to be big, and I can make them out of silk or satin and they can be in black!

einna
December 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy scrunchies online? Or tell me how to make them? Thanks :)

RachelRain
December 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
walmart has some small ones... both small elastic wise and small poofiness wise. the fabric's maybe half an inch as opposed to the inch plus that most of them are.

as for buying them online... I would think you could go to any store site and pick some up, or maybe the scunci website.

bumblebums
December 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy scrunchies online? Or tell me how to make them? Thanks :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5921_make-scrunchies.html

2peasinapod
December 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the links, bubblebums! I've always wondered how to make them. Around here, the only place I can find scrunchies big enough for my thick hair is the dollar store, but they don't seem to carry them as much anymore.