PDA

View Full Version : "bent" hair at the tips??

baaaad_kitty
December 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hi!

I was looking at my ends for splits the other day, and I noticed that I have some hairs that are bent at the end. It's like they were folded back 1cm or less at the tips. I have no idea where these come from! My hair is usually loose and when I do put it up, it's in a bee butt bun (I'm incapable of making cinnamon buns) or in a ponytail. I use a soft wide elastic for my hair.

It's really tempting to just snip off all the bent ends, but I'm not trimming until I reach past waist and I'm not there yet. Where do these come from? What can I do to prevent them? :confused:

Help please??

spitfire511
December 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I don't know of 'expert' advice, but mine does this occasionally if the ends have been folded up funny in an updo or something. When I wash again they straighten right out. If that's not the case for you - I have no idea! GL!!!

Anje
December 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I get these sometimes... Sometimes they're from an updo, other times I think it's from tangles that have tightened and bent the hairs. And of course, they cause more tangles! Badly secured braids (especially using those silicone elastics for some reason) seem to create a lot of them at the elastic.

For me, well-moisturized hair seems to get a lot less of them, and it can feel like every hair on my head is kinked near the ends when I've experienced protein overload.

ETA: Water alone doesn't seem to unkink them for me, but since they seem to disappear with deep conditioning (since I didn't cut them off...), some degree of moisture must work.

luxepiggy
December 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Try wetting them down - they should straighten right back up. If they don't, check and see if there's a white dot right at the bend - if that's the case then it's permanently damaged at that spot, and you probably want to snip it off right above the bend.

aenflex
December 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Happens to me too. The ends will have a distinct bend. I think it comes from little tangles and such. I also notice changes in the diameter as I move down the shaft. Meaning the strand is thicker for a while, then thinner, then thicker again, etc. I don't get that either, has the shaft been stretched somehow? Or worn down in some areas and not in others?

littlestarface
December 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I get these too. They look like little L's I hate them and washing them doesnt get them out I would say the only that gets rid of mine is deep moisturising my hair. I also get little kinks on individual strands I dont understand those either :shrug: None of mine have white dots or weak points but I still snip them if they look reallly bad.

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I get these all the time even when my hair is down. I assume they are just from sleeping on them wrong. After I wash my hair they go back to normal with no noticable damage.

aries
December 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I get these from updo's quite often and like some have posted, I do not cut them but will moisturize and try to get them to straighten back out without pulling. I have had some that were really super bad and seemed to be a little frayed so I trimmed those off but not the rest. I usually get them from sleep buns or wearing my hair in a sleep cap for some odd reason.

RachelRain
December 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Happens to me too. The ends will have a distinct bend. I think it comes from little tangles and such. I also notice changes in the diameter as I move down the shaft. Meaning the strand is thicker for a while, then thinner, then thicker again, etc. I don't get that either, has the shaft been stretched somehow? Or worn down in some areas and not in others?

I get these too... both the bends and the diameter changes. I always thought it was just that those specific hairs weren't really rounded... like due to dietary choices or something. mine always seem to be at specific intervals though. :shrug:

I can get the bends from putting my hair up in a bun, even if I don't secure it with anything, but after I take it down and leave it alone for a while it straightens out... maybe it's just that you had the bun a little tight around the end there?

baaaad_kitty
December 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the replies! I've figured out what causes mine. I lean on my hair while in class, and the hair gets trapped. Instant bends. I'll be taking care to make sure my hair isn't caught between my back and the chair next time