PDA

View Full Version : Really wanting to cut....

kristymarie87
December 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I long for long hair! I really want it, but atm it has a complete lack of style and im one of those people who likes it looking in a style and all in place! I tie it up everyday because i cant be bothered styling it in the morning before work and when i have it down at weekends i end up feeling depressed!

I had a pob, which i loved, but just got bored of short hair. Now (i cant beleive this thought is even crossing my mind) im seeing piccies of Frankie Sandford's (The Saturdays [UK girl group]) bob which is almost a pixie and wondering what it would look like on me!

I know i'll regret cutting it off but my b/f doesnt help because he always says he prefers it short! I guess i just feel a mess at the moment and wanna look like i've made an effort rather than being shaggy all the time! My hair just refuses to do anything, at almost APL i have been stuck in this rut for the last 7-8 months! Basically since i joined.

I've tried every suggestion i've had off of you lovely people and although my hair feels healthier its still as unruly as ever!

Sorry i had to rant but im already booked in for a trim i need talking out of this!!

Maddy25
December 8th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I feel like this often! I'm growing out an untrimmed pixie and am only at shoulder, it's such an weird flippy stage! The only thing that gets me to not cut is by watching movies with long hair in them :D Then I remember how much I want it and get super into growing it again....I try to avoid movies with super cute short cuts ahaha.

aenflex
December 8th, 2010, 09:14 AM
If you need talking out of it, than Don't Do It.
Make some other cosmetic change to compensate maybe?

kristymarie87
December 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Usually i would colour it but i have to wait until Jan. I just feel like im not getting anywhere! I know i know colour is not good, but i dont do it that often and i get trims!

I think in general im just feeling down about my apperance. Maybe i should buy shoes to compensate!

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Usually i would colour it but i have to wait until Jan. I just feel like im not getting anywhere! I know i know colour is not good, but i dont do it that often and i get trims!

I think in general im just feeling down about my apperance. Maybe i should buy shoes to compensate!

I think this is a capital idea! More shoes! Fewer haircuts! Excellent, excellent, piggy approves (^(oo)^)v

kristymarie87
December 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM

I think this is a capital idea! More shoes! Fewer haircuts! Excellent, excellent, piggy approves (^(oo)^)v

I think i might replace shoes with bags lol i have a love/hate relationship with shoes - i love them - they hate my feet....:violin:

Lamb
December 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
How long has it been since your last trim? (I mean 0.5" trim, a shape-up.) If it's been more than 3 months, maybe a small trim would make all the difference, especially with i/ii hair.

lillylonghair
December 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Don't cut! You are just in that awkward stage. I fully understand. Are you good at braiding? If you can do a dutch braid perhaps learn the lace braid. I fully understand about wanting a ''style''. I am reformed shortie and it took me a long time to grow out of feeling like I ''needed'' to cut and style. Now I accessorize with cut barrettes and experiment with placement.

My most recent go to 'do has been a cute side braid. I basically clip my bangs with a cute little pin, dutch braid the bottom from one side to the other then end it all in a single english braid.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is. But the point is that I've come to appreciate my hair in a more simple (i.e less products and fuss).

I also find myself getting more experimental with my makeup when I have a boring hair day.

kristymarie87
December 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
How long has it been since your last trim? (I mean 0.5" trim, a shape-up.) If it's been more than 3 months, maybe a small trim would make all the difference, especially with i/ii hair.

October 2nd i think. I do it every 10 weeks or so. Im booked in for 15th Dec. I just feel like i want a style, something different but that involves cutting some length off and though im considering it i know i will regret it!!

Unofficial_Rose
December 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
You could get a hairstylist to reshape it a little without losing too much length. Might make you feel like it has a style? I can sympathise with needing hair to have a bit of shape to it, even when you're growing it out.

If you tell them you are growing it (and can go to someone you can trust not to cut off too much) then maybe you'll be happier with the growing.

spidermom
December 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
There's a style for every length; you don't have to suffer through shaggy, unkempt hair. In my early years of growing out my pixie, I got haircuts every 6-8 weeks, just enough to shape up the ends. Contrary to popular belief around here, YES, on that schedule, my hair grew longer. And longer. And longer. You just need a good stylist who won't cut away too much length each time. I think mine removed about 1/4 - 1/2 inch each time.

allmixedup88
December 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
buy some clip in hair extensions.. you an make them yourself and they're super inexpensive

torrilin
December 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
For me, growing out a pixie with no trims would be intolerable. I loathe bangs with a passion, and my hair is really great at getting into everything and giving me itches. It sucks. There is nothing immoral or wrong about getting your hair cut so you have something you can live with growing out.

And there's definitely something wrong with putting in so many rules and boundaries that you feel miserable and like you look ugly. Coz you're not.

I do think the two week rule is helpful. Taking two weeks to pick out a style that will feel like "something", and is a good style to grow out is an excellent research project. If you go on impulse, you'll probably pick out something that won't grow out so well. That'd suck.

SpinDance
December 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Perhaps practice some updo's and get some nice earrings to show off with your hair up? It seems like hair grows faster when up and otherwise ignored. Every length seems to have styles that work best, so as your hair gets longer you'll still be able to do more and different 'do's.

spitfire511
December 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm a bit like spidermom about this. I have to like my hair as it's growing - otherwise I'll just chop it. Right now I have bangs (which I wouldn't recommend unless you're a bang person all the time) and long layers.

While the layers make the updos a bit harder, and I'll be glad to trim them out once I get a bit past BSL, they were critical for me getting it to this length. Without the layers I would have hated my hair enough that I'd have just chopped it off in to a bob (my go-to style when I hate my hair.)

Anywho - don't cut! Buy handbags, fingernail polish, enjoy your trim, and do something a bit fun with it if necessary - but don't do something you'll regret! :D

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I think i might replace shoes with bags lol i have a love/hate relationship with shoes - i love them - they hate my feet....:violin:

Piggy approves of bags as well! Or how about some cosmetics? Oh!! I know! Sparkly jewelry! \(^(oo)^)/

virgo75
December 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
buy some clip in hair extensions.. you an make them yourself and they're super inexpensive

This.
Or have you ever tried a wig?
It would give you a short style without the commitment.
How about some really pretty barrettes or headbands?

If you already feel like you're not getting anywhere with regards to hair growth and you already know you'll regret it if you cut it, then why put yourself through it? :shrug:

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you. :flower:

Tia2010
December 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Since you already know you will regret it and your considering it out of frustration as opposed to something you really want to do , I wouldn't do it..... Buy some cute hats , hair accessories , pretty clips , scarfs and as piggy said shoes/bags or sparkly jewels ...whatever it takes to help you get through the uuggh I can't do this stage . I grew out a pixie and hats and cool scarfs were my saving grace when I was looking all sorts of jacked up and feeling bad about how it looked. just remember... this (stage) too shall pass :D

erika_d
December 8th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Don't cut don't cut don't cut! This too shall pass!!! ;)

Amraann
December 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with Piggy!

Also who ever said your just going through the awkward stage which is frustrating.

I suggest that you commit to three months and do nothing to it.
Maybe keep it up.
Then re-evaluate how you feel about it. During that time try finding a style that accommodates length that you feel would work on your hair.
Also maybe you could try different hair products or methods that may work better for your hair type/texture?

Whatever you do I would not suggest cutting since you admit you know you will regret it.
There is no point in doing something that you know will make you unhappy.

chopandchange
December 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I suggest that instead of looking at pictures of the Saturdays, you should look at pictures of LHC people's hair. This will probably inspire you to keep growing. Especially the "anniversary" threads, where people post inspirational pictures of their growth over a number of years. Those are good ones to look at if you want to keep hold of your determination when you are at a difficult, in-between stage! Find one where the starting point is similar to where you are now, and then look at the final photo and say to yourself "that could be me in X years time, if I don't give up!"

kristymarie87
December 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Are you good at braiding? If you can do a dutch braid perhaps learn the lace braid.

Ha im no good at braiding my own hair, its layered and i cant really get a good grip...my fingers tend to get tangled. Im not keen on braids, i look really young with them!

If you tell them you are growing it (and can go to someone you can trust not to cut off too much) then maybe you'll be happier with the growing.

My hairdresser is great, she actually refuses to cut it short because she knows im growing it but i just dont know how to get it cut it ends up always looking the same. I sort of want something sophisticated but my hair texture just prevents it from looking tidy at this length :(

Oh i have these..... I had them cut in but still you can see my hair as it is thick! I think once its longer they may work for volume though )

Perhaps practice some updo's and get some nice earrings to show off with your hair up? It seems like hair grows faster when up and otherwise ignored. Every length seems to have styles that work best, so as your hair gets longer you'll still be able to do more and different 'do's.

I seem to fail when it comes to updos - i wear it the same everyday. I did notice whilst i was ignoring it it seemed to grow but even when it does grow im never satisfied!

I have just bought a sock bun thingy so i need to perfect that :D

Piggy approves of bags as well! Or how about some cosmetics? Oh!! I know! Sparkly jewelry! \(^(oo)^)/

Diamonds...... yessssss :D :D

I suggest that instead of looking at pictures of the Saturdays, you should look at pictures of LHC people's hair. This will probably inspire you to keep growing. Especially the "anniversary" threads, where people post inspirational pictures of their growth over a number of years. Those are good ones to look at if you want to keep hold of your determination when you are at a difficult, in-between stage! Find one where the starting point is similar to where you are now, and then look at the final photo and say to yourself "that could be me in X years time, if I don't give up!"

The hair on here is amazing, i just feel like i'll never get there! I get all depressed when i see super long hair! Its nice when i see short hair similar to mine and its texture and how its grown...but i still damage my hair a little so i feel like its not possible but at the same time i cant give up because i feel a mess! Im so difficult. I think its one of those days!!

Thank you all for the encouragement.....i think i will wait it out for a few weeks and see how i feel then! I dont wanna regret it! I love u guys!

WhisperingMoon
December 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
how about trying different styles or "up dos" for short hair to get you through the awkward stage/phase? maybe like a cute headband, scarf, barrettes? curly, straight??? wait another 3 weeks before you cut it...just wait, esp if you r gonna regret it!

ddiana1979
December 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I vote for getting some really cute hair toys. . . I have bobby pins & barrettes with tiny rhinestones or flowers on them, cute headbands, etc. Once you get the sock bun perfected, you can start tucking in hairforks or sticks behind it just for decoration (added bonus, you'll have them when your hair gets long enough to really use them). Your hair is probably long enough to do a French Twist with a sparkly clip, or a Gibson Tuck, which looks very elegant. A lot of people like those hair tinsel strands. I've never tried them, but I know they look beautiful in luxepiggy's hair.

musicallberrii
December 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I agree with this.. I think that with proper care, any of us can have healthy, long, and beautiful hair. Don't cut! From Shoulder to APL was the WORST for me and seemed to take the longest. I could have done it faster, but I kept trimming and cutting my hair above my shoulders because I felt bored with it. It lasted for FIVE years until I finally thought that all I was doing was making myself depressed. :(

I stopped cutting it last May, and I am at BSL now! :D

You can do it! Try more updos and just play with styles for your hair.. it will grow out before you know it! It feels like it takes forever, but you will get there. Be strong and keep growing!

Hylia
December 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I know this is a long hair forum, but when I had shorter hair which was chin length a few years back I wore hair extensions sometimes. Different lengths, colours, etc and it seemed like my hair grew a lot faster because I didn`t have to worry about it. My hair could be any length/ color I wanted it to be. Believe me, its way better than cutting it again. I remember when my hair was chin length it always got in my mouth:P So once you cut it, growing it out again is a huge pain ( well for me anyways). My hair is a bit past APL now and I still sometimes wear clip in color extensions just for fun.

mrs_coffee
December 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I understand. I have a strong urge to chop mine too because of the length it is right now, which is somewhere around my jawline. It looks messy and has no style whatsoever and worst of all, I can't put it up out of my way at all because it's still too short for that. But I resolved to grow it longer, and if I cut it I'll just have to go through this stage all over again, so I'm toughing it out.

I figure if I get to my goal (which for now is BSL) I can always chop it then, but I'm guessing that once I get past all of the awkwardness of chin-to-shoulder length it will be a lot easier.

I think waiting, at least for a few weeks and see how you feel then, is a great idea. :)

SpinDance
December 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
You mention that you have trouble with updos, well, we all do, to start with. It took me a couple of weeks making knots in my hair with a braid book on my lap before it suddenly worked. Same with updo's, except the years of doing braids made it much easier to learn updos. Perhaps spending 5 to 15 minutes each day trying a couple of updo's, braids, whatever might help you both learn new styles as well as help the time it takes for growth to happen?

joiekimochi
December 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I second getting extensions. Couple of years ago I was above BSL when I put hip-length extensions for about 6 months. When I took them out, voila, I was below BSL!

kristymarie87
December 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Im sort of a hair toy scrooge lol....i have my sock for a sock but and my bobby pins but i look 16 as it is and headbands etc just dont work for me!!

I did youtube some styles and i plan to try some. Its my layers that make it very hard to do updos and i want it to look pretty down! I like it down, my face looks better. I was thinking of experimenting with my fringe for a while.

I had a weave extention for a day - i have a scar across my head and it was just too heavy. I seem to need alot of extensions for them to blend and it feels way too heavy!

I think what im looking for is a miracle and i need to snap back to reality!

feralnature
December 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I like the wig idea. Get some way groovy manic pink or purple wig and sport it when you go out. You will feel cute and magical!

LawyerGirl
December 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
When I get impatient for style and want to cut, I get the layers trimmed and leave the length alone. It prevents the "mushroom" look, feels better, and I don't lose a lot of length.

Toadstool
December 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
When I feel the need to cut, I just cut my fringe and that seems to satisfy it :-)

evampr18
December 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You will regret it. TRUST me. Because it is new you will like it, but then you're going to see pictures of your hair(now) at APL and you will think to yourself, oh wow, had I not cut it I would be BSl, and if you were at BSL you could add layers highlights or whatever.

Ultimately it is your hair :), but I would definitely vote not to cut it..

christine1989
December 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have to second new shoes! Whatever is bothering me, buying new heels seems to cure it for at least a week :). And why stop there- buying a cute new outfit and some makeup could take your mind off of your hair's akward stage and have you feeling confidant again.

DakarNick
December 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I agree, don't cut! If you do and grow it out to where it is now you'll think back to this day and realize how long it would be if you didn't.

HOWEVER, Frankie's haircut rocks!

patienceneeded
December 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Everytime I start to grow out my hair I get bored and want a "style" too. So, I get it cut and have regretted it everytime. I don't know why I keep thinking "next time it will be different, I'll like having short hair." I never like it and spend ages waiting for it to get long enough to play with again. I've always wanted super-long hair too but never quite had the patience too get much past APL. This time I am determined to grow grow grow! Try something else instead of a cut, maybe a massage or deep conditioning treatment and a gloss? Some pampering, a makeover, whatever makes you happy without the haircut.

kristymarie87
December 10th, 2010, 03:51 AM
You will regret it. TRUST me. Because it is new you will like it, but then you're going to see pictures of your hair(now) at APL and you will think to yourself, oh wow, had I not cut it I would be BSl, and if you were at BSL you could add layers highlights or whatever.

Ultimately it is your hair :), but I would definitely vote not to cut it..

Good advice!!I think that every time "if id not cut it would be bsl by now". I guess the novelty will wear off and then i'll be worse of than i am now!

I have to second new shoes! Whatever is bothering me, buying new heels seems to cure it for at least a week :). And why stop there- buying a cute new outfit and some makeup could take your mind off of your hair's akward stage and have you feeling confidant again.

I have a feeling im gonna be really poor until i get to APL!

I have ultimately 99.9% decided i wont cut! - I saw myslef all done up in a mirror last night and actually it wasnt that bad, it did go wild after alot of dancing but it looked almost long!

I think i will do something with the fringe. I dunno, shorter or a different style, but something to make my hair look tidier!

Im going to not have the layers trimmed as it thing it will look thicker and sit better if they wear longer - my hair is at almost APL and the layers about chin - shoulder. I think they make it look messy too.