PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrows- Do you have to moisturize them too?

Dreamkitty
December 8th, 2010, 06:05 AM
:) Eyebrows are ofcourse hair at the end of the day. So it must be a similar concept if you wanted to make them longer, thicker or just grow them out.

Im wondering if anyone here, puts anything on their eyebrows to moisturize it?.

My eyebrows have always been thick & dark. This is because most people in my family have thick eyebrows and Ive never plucked them in my life. Im happy with the way they are and I just wan't to maintain it as it is.

Once I was just combing my eyebrows and underneath the hair, my skin looked dry so I was wondering if I would have to put some lotion on it lol.

Do eyebrow hairs shed? I was wondering if you just left your eyebrows and put nothing on them, what would happen?. Also how do you keep them healthy?

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Eyebrows are the same as all other hairs; they have a terminal length and a growth and shed cycle. Some people use castor oil to help regrow their eyebrows.

Mine are dark and fairly long (not many people have to trim theirs!) so I don't have to do anything to help them. I don't have dry skin there but I cleanse tone and moisturise them too because I often use an eyebrow gel to keep them in place. That's enough to keep my skin there happy.

I don't think I know what you mean about "if you left your eyebrows what would happen?", but someone is bound to!

milagro
December 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I was wondering if you just left your eyebrows and put nothing on them, what would happen?. Also how do you keep them healthy?
Absolutely nothing. Mine are left totally to their own means and they contrive beautifully! :D So that I have to pluck stray hairs below and in the corners from time to time.
I have the impression eyebrows would be the last hair to shed, if any.

LissaJane
December 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I've also always had quite thick and long eyebrows and lashes, but on my left (someone else's right, if they're facing me) eyebrow's got its first bit of patchy-ness, which I've only noticed recently. I hope it's just something that I've mis-plucked and that it'll grow back. I've been filling it in with brown eyeshadow whenever I put make up on.

I read somewhere that applying Olive Oil to your eyebrows and eyelashes is supposed to be super good for them, so everynow and then I use that, but only very rarely... I forget to most the time.
Also, I pluck the middles-- If left on their own they form a slightly unsightly unibrow. And I tidy up the stray hairs on the bottom and side if they get out of hand, too.

kathyblack1
December 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
This is funny. I actually have wimpy eye lashes, meaning they aren't that full and lush. I admittedly, rarely wash my face with soap and stuff (just water). When it comes to the lashes, I notice the skin undeneath sometimes get dry and peel, even though I have super oily skin. When that happens I just put moisturizer or oil on them. Other then that, I do nothing.

Anje
December 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I think the terminal length and growth cycle are short enough that they tend to shed before they get damaged by dryness. (Though I do tend to smear moisturizer on them as part of spreading onto my face....) It's not like I'm flat-ironing them or anything that would dry them out further.

Alex Lou
December 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I scrub the skin under my eyebrows with soap like I do with the rest of the skin on my face. Otherwise, dead skin builds up and gets flaky. I also apply sunscreen and moisturizer like I do to the rest of my face. My eyebrows are in direct contact with the facial oils, so they don't need any conditioner or anything.

virgo75
December 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Like Alex Lou, I also scrub my eyebrows/the skin under my eyebrows. I don't really try to get moisturizer on them but I apply facial lotion every day, twice a day and it gets onto them and the skin under my eyebrows. They seem happy I guess? lol

Oh, and they do shed. I notice when I scrub with a washcloth that sometimes there will be a couple of eyebrow hairs there.

Dreamkitty
December 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
:) I was just one day combing my eyebrows and the skin was flaky and a bit dry. I was thinking WTH, maybe I have a bit of eyebrow dandruff since I don't use that much lotion on my face. And when I do apply lotion, its just around my face, the eyes but never my eyebrows. I think I need to take better care of the skin underneath my eyebrows, rather then just the hair on my head lol.:D

aquadreamer
December 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I don't pay a lot of attention to them, but I moisturize them with my moisturizer, and sometimes my lash moisturizer--mavala double lash, and they seem to do well :)

Tiina
December 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I've noticed my eyebrows getting thicker since I started to do OCM. They are reasonably thick but I don't give any special care to them, nor does the skin underneath need anything more than the rest of my face gets.

DH has some mutant hairs that have an undetermined terminal length and his brows are generally big and thick. Length and thickness of eyebrows probably has more to do with genes than care.

Coan-Teen
December 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
My eyebrow skin does tend to get a bit dry and flaky right after I shape them. I just moisturize with a little lotion and it goes away.

Octave
December 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I just usually give them the same treatment as my face, with cream and such things. ;)

1hunky5monkeys
December 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I rub castor oil on mine every night. :)

einna
December 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I just use the same cream that I put on my face. Oil was not a bad idea though, mine are not the most bushy eyebrows, and they are (dark) blonde. Just thought I would get an eyebrow pencil ;) Read here that some juse cocnut oil on their face, so might try that as well.

adiapalic
December 8th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I put lotion on them each time before I pluck them. My face tends to stay dry in winter, so I put lotion on my face and eyebrows as well. I notice the hairs "behave" better if they're moisturized a little more often. :flower:

excentricat
December 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
My eyebrows get the same treatment as the rest of my face-gentle cleanser, moisturizer at night, toner and moisturizer in the morning. They seem healthy and determined to overgrow my face, so they get tweezed back into submission as well. My eyelashes get some extra moisture and oils though (along with my eyelids). I don't wear mascara, so I want the thickest natural lashes I can get.

DecafJane
December 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Mine are dark and fairly long (not many people have to trim theirs!) so I don't have to do anything to help them.

OMG - me, too! I can do one hell of a mad professor impression when it is time for the eyebrow trim! Plus my hair is thick and wavy, which makes things a lot more haywire. :p

eyesofsummer
December 8th, 2010, 10:06 PM
It's not like I'm flat-ironing them or anything that would dry them out further.

:hmm: I'm trying to imagine what that would look like...:p

christine1989
December 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I've never thought about it since I am usually in the bathroom tweezing them daily but I have heard of people oiling their eyebrows to make them grow in better.

Adiva
December 10th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Mine also just get the same treatment as the rest of my face. Mine are long, thick and sparse, I always wished for more finers hairs which would make shaping much easier!

tigr
December 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
It's not like I'm flat-ironing them or anything that would dry them out further.
Yikes! Just the idea of a flat-iron that close to my eye really scares me!