PDA

View Full Version : Meanest Hair Compliment

Dragon
December 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
What is the meanest hair comment you have received?

Mine was in grade 4 or 5. I had hair between chin and shoulder blade, not by choice and got asked why do you have short hair like a boy?

joiekimochi
December 8th, 2010, 04:00 AM
How is a compliment "mean"? Like a back-handed compliment? Or did you mean 'comment'?

Dragon
December 8th, 2010, 04:09 AM
How is a compliment "mean"? Like a back-handed compliment? Or did you mean 'comment'?

I ment mean comment.

julliams
December 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I was going around looking for a Boar Bristle Brush and encountered some interesting sales people. The first said I needed *item in hand* because my hair was so dry and brittle. The second told me that because my hair was "so thin" I should use *item in hand*.

a) my hair is and was not dry and brittle and b) I have the thickest head of hair of anyone I know.

It's like they were trying to get me to buy something by criticising me when they clearly hadn't even looked at me.

LocustSpawning
December 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
"Your hair is really boring. It's just... there. Why don't you get layers or a fringe or something?"

skaempfer
December 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
This is kind of off topic, but hair, pregnancy and infants just seem to bring out the unsolicited opinions in people.

Actually, I kind of liked the original title of the thread, meanest hair 'compliment,' because I've had some impressive backhands delivered to me.

The best was maybe "I love how you don't give a **** how your hair looks."

Locksmith
December 8th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I've been told by a friend when I was about 14 that my hair was "kind of boring, you should cut it and have layers put in it." I ignored her, because I knew she was jealous of my having straight hair without having to flat-iron it every morning! :p

pixistixx
December 8th, 2010, 05:14 AM
your hair looks mousey and stringy, and men don't like flat hair... you should tease it

skaempfer
December 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Ah, the old "men don't like..." argument. :puke:

ravenreed
December 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
In my experience, men don't pay nearly as much attention to our hair as we think they do.

Locksmith
December 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Ugh, yeah, I hate that one. I mean, it's not like I could possibly just do it for myself. :rolleyes: (And heyyyyy, what about what girls like? :eyebrows: )

mrs_coffee
December 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Not mean, just ignorant, but guys asking if I'm gay because of my short hair. Yes, my husband and three children are merely tools of distraction. :laugh:

LissaJane
December 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
After dying my hair brown from having a head of multiple colors a friend said "at least it's not a psychadelic mess anymore"
To be fair, it kind of did look like a bag of skittles had thrown up on my head. I liked my psychadelic mess, though haha

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'm thrilled to say I can't think of any!

When I was in high school some girls would occassionally ask if I was going to cut my hair, or why I didn't, but the same girls wrote in my leaving book for me to keep growing or never cut it! I don't count that as mean, just curious.

I have a colleague say my hair was "ridiculously long" at a meal we went to when I wore it down, but I know it just caught him by surprise because I always wore it up around the office. It was really funny though; he said he thought it was a shawl at first :p

joiekimochi
December 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
When I returned to natural long straight black hair, after sporting bleached light brown teased and curled hair (and extensions) for years, someone said I looked like a village woman from China. I felt insulted on behalf of the village women of China.

It's like you can't be Asian and embrace the hair you're born with, or else you're "old fashioned".

sunshine80
December 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Since there is nothing I can do with my hair since its been burnt to a crisp I just put a headband on everyday and all the dry dead ends poke out the top well, I had a contracter coming to my house every day for a week to do my patio...at the end of the week he asked me out to dinner and at the same time asked if Id be wearing my hair like that! What a jerk and yes I said no...

Unofficial_Rose
December 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Wow! I find these comments shocking. My hair's never been that great, but no-one's ever said anything rude about it. :shocked:

The thing that gets me about these comments: do the people making them not realise that the person on the receiving end will instantly dislike them (like, until the end of time) rather than actually feeling bad about their hair? I mean, that's how I feel when someone is nasty to me for no reason. And I thought I had low EQ...

chopandchange
December 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM
A hairdresser once told me that my ends looked like rats tails.

This was after I'd just done a major chop of about 6 inches to get rid of lots of bleach I'd been patiently growing out. Said "rat tail" ends were freshly cut, LHC virgin hair and they were probably the healthiest my hair had ever been up to that point. :mad:

I suppose she said it because my wavy hair was sticking together in clumps instead of having the requisite smoothed-out salon look of "flat-ironed to look like a sheet."

cindy58
December 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
People have told me that they liked my old, short hair style better.

DARKMARTIAN
December 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hmm...lets see.

Ive been told I look like the Devil. But coming from the person it did, I know it was actually meant as a compliment.

Intransigentia
December 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming it's because of the awful, short haircut I had at the time (and no boobs yet), that I was always being addressed as "young man" when I was 12-13.

LawyerGirl
December 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
In college I had purple streaks and someone told me I looked like a stripper. (I was NOT wearing anything remotely inappropriate.)

littlenvy
December 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
your hair looks mousey and stringy, and men don't like flat hair... you should tease it
:shocked:YOU KNOW MY MOTHER??????

allmixedup88
December 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
This girl told me my blonde hair looked really "unnatural" & this was coming from a girl with fake plastic hair (wtf!)

ETA: Also every other day my grandmother tells me "DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR ANYMORE!" and I say, "no I will cut my hair if I please" "why? i liked having short hair" "can you please leave me alone about my hair, it's mine leave me alone" and she is like "why are you so sensitive"

bleh it's obnoxious... it's bad enough I'm waiting for my hair to grow long again, but I don't need another person waiting too... jeeeez

hairobsessed1
December 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I can't think of any myself. My cousin on the other hand had a great one which i witnessed. At the time he was about 16 and going through a stage of using loads of hair gel to create a 'roughed up' or 'i dont give a damn' look- and it obviously took him a while. My gran said "Is your hair supposed to look like that? It looks like a duck's arse" XD he looked really shocked

Calaelen
December 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have this one friend who always says "You should get a bob, the long hair is boring. and doesn't suit you". I doesn't bother me though. I know she says it because she's jealous, and wants to have longer hair than me.

I also don't see her often as she lives in another city than I do, so it isn't like I hear it often..everyone else loves my hair, even strangers :D

Tia2010
December 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
After a ( unintentional) bleached hair disaster a friend of a friend we were out with told me ...You hair sooo looks awful you should cut it off etc. etc. and on and on . All the while smirking and trying not to look oh soooo superior.....I knew my hair needed to be cut after it was bleached to hell and back, I'm not an idiot, but I wanted to wait a few months before I did anything else to my hair at that point.....

So I restrained myself from doing what I wanted to do and simply said I know ...then added in for good measure that her boyfriend seemed to look more at my assets than my hair everytime we were in a room together and had no problem flirting with me bad hair and all... then smiled and waved at him as he smiled back from across the room because he had no idea I just threw him under the bus...The fight the ensued between the two of them made me forget all about her comment :slap: mean... yes ...but still true and she never said anything about my hair again :)

ETA : I was about 20 at the time.... I think I would handle it differently now....maybe ;)

erika_d
December 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have one frenemy (we don't even speak anymore) who was always trying to convince me to cut my hair short. I know she was jealous of me (everything about me, not just my hair, and I don't know why-her life is pretty great (from the outside at least)). Anyway, she knew i was growing it out and she was always telling me that it looked better short, fine hair is better short, don't grow it out, etc. Her hair, incidentally, was fine and short. She also had a major blonde-jealousy thing. Her hair is brown. Which I find really nice, but she had issues about it.

Khepri
December 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I've had someone ask me if it was very windy outside, and actually walk over to the window to see. Sure, my curly 3b hair was in a messy bun, on purpose, but it didn't look that messy. Gawd.

starfly
December 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I love your hair from your profile avatar. Gorgeous colour!

MAO
December 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
When I was in seventh grade, right after the stepbitch gave me a crappy short (short!) haircut I got teased by the boys. They said the only way they could tell that I was a girl was cuz I had boobs.

DARKMARTIAN
December 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
When I was in seventh grade, right after the stepbitch gave me a crappy short (short!) haircut I got teased by the boys. They said the only way they could tell that I was a girl was cuz I had boobs.

Even now, I still get called "girly" from time to time......

if only they really knew........

Torrin Paige
December 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not so much a mean thing...at least I don't believe it's ever been meant that way, but it used to bother me SO much. I still get asked periodically if my hair is either a wig or a weave. I used to get mad because for a long while the weaves I saw were terrible and I thought they were implying that my hair looked terrible or fake. Over the years I came to realize that they were just shocked by the length of it and couldn't fathom that someone would grow their hair so long. LOL. It's not that long, really. I mean, I'm not even sitting on it, but I guess it's still not something you see every day. Nowadays, I just let them take a closer look and/or touch it to prove that it is, in fact, all of my own actual hair.:eye:

spidermom
December 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
My father said "it looks like a big old mess," and tried to hand me his scissors. But I don't care what he thinks so it didn't provoke any bad feelings.

DreadfulWoman
December 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
The meanest comment I ever get is Wash your hair!, which I particularly hate because it takes me a freakin' long time to wash my hair, but I do it. And that one is usually coming from guys who have about 1 inch of hair, and probably wash it with dish soap anyway. :rolleyes:

I love the original title of this thread, but I can't say I really say that I get a lot of mean compliments. I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I don't have any masters-of-the-backhanded-compliment in my life. :)

Naphthylamine
December 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
A friend I actually like complimented my braided bun in a strange way. She said the bun was really good on me because I had such thin&fine hair that it is almost nonexistent, and the bun seemed like I had decent and fuller hair.

pixistixx
December 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
In my experience, men don't pay nearly as much attention to our hair as we think they do.

:D... funny thing is, it's mostly other women who tell me what men do and don't like lol. As if I care about impressing anyone... i do what pleases me!

Amraann
December 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I get the "is it really all of yours" comments once in awhile.
But that does not really bother me.

This thread did remind me of a person we knew in the keys.
She mercilessly flirted with my hubby but like did it right in front of me like it was just a joke.
She was only half joking.
Really it was the repeating of the "you can come with me if she is bad to you."
Like once would have been funny flirty 50 times boarders on serious IMO.

Anywho I diverse. One night I walked into a place we all frequented.. I had washed my hair and let it air dry and on that humid day it curled to its natural state.

She said something like "what? you could not take the time to style your hair?"
Now she has a serious helmet hair do, plastered to an inch of its short stranded life.
I just smiled and as sweetly as possible said "why? because I don't destroy it with heat like you do yours? And BTW Hubby likes it like this... ya know like in bed."
I swear you could have seen her burning with anger.

She actually tried to flirt even more after that. I just paid her little mind and tossed my "unstyled" hair whenever she looked my way, while waving at my hubby:)
Hubby was well aware of this rivalry and would just laugh with me about it.
I think she was just jealous for many reasons.
Even other people would comment about her comments.

hela
December 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
A hairdresser told me

"You have way too much hair"

And he didn't mean it as a compliment, I tell you. In fact, some hairdressers do this when I enter their shop: :couch:

Some have also told me to do something with my hair, because they get bored I have the same look since I was a teenager. :confused:

Amraann
December 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
A hairdresser told me

"You have way too much hair"

And he didn't mean it as a compliment, I tell you. In fact, some hairdressers do this when I enter their shop: :couch:

Some have also told me to do something with my hair, because they get bored I have the same look since I was a teenager. :confused:

IMO this means it was a hairdresser that was scared of your hair!

As for the others .... Like what? Your hair is there to keep them entertained?
IMO if your hair is "boring" them they need to find a hobby as they must be spending waaaaay to much time looking at your hair.
I would probably be mean and tell them that their face was boring me as they have had the same one since they were teenagers;)

misslicorice
December 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
When I returned to natural long straight black hair, after sporting bleached light brown teased and curled hair (and extensions) for years, someone said I looked like a village woman from China. I felt insulted on behalf of the village women of China.

It's like you can't be Asian and embrace the hair you're born with, or else you're "old fashioned".

I think natural Asian hair is gorgeous! :blossom: I always wanted straight black hair and what do I get stuck with? Light brown and curly! :P

pepperminttea
December 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
In middle school, I'd slept over at a friend's house so my hair hadn't had its scheduled wash (which at the time happened every other day). The next day; "Oh thank god you washed your hair, it was so greasy!" Why thank you, computing teacher who obviously gave up looking after himself before I was born. :rolleyes:

ETA:
I can't think of any myself. My cousin on the other hand had a great one which i witnessed. At the time he was about 16 and going through a stage of using loads of hair gel to create a 'roughed up' or 'i dont give a damn' look- and it obviously took him a while. My gran said "Is your hair supposed to look like that? It looks like a duck's arse" XD he looked really shocked

:spitting: So mean, yet so epic!

Angeletti
December 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I was talking with my sister about my long hair once and she just blurts out "long hair looks white trashy to me"... gee thanks sis. Other than the normal, "you need to trim your hair" comments from people I know I haven't really gotten anything mean.

jeanniet
December 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
This wasn't me, but when my younger son was little he had the most gorgeous head of curls and big solemn brown eyes. He was just one of those little kids that women go gaga over and his older brother was so jealous of it. He was always telling him he should get his hair cut, that curly hair was stupid, his head stunk, etc. They both eventually ended up with buzz cuts and I'm still trying to get the younger one to grow his curly hair out (he's 14 now). :(

ETA: His older brother was like 5 or 6, so it wasn't quite as bad as it sounds, lol. It certainly never stopped him from sucking up all the attention from fawning women.

musicallberrii
December 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
My family loves to tell me how stringy my hair looks and that I should cut it off. I never wear it down when I go to visit family members because I hate hearing unwanted comments. I'm not sure why people feel the need to do this? I don't tell anyone that they have gotten fat and need to lose weight, their makeup looks like a clown, etc. Buuuut anyway, moving on..

Another one I got was when I was 12 and had a horrible bleached blonde skunky-streaked bob with blunt bangs. The boy I had a crush on asked me what I did to my hair and if I could see it in the mirror because it looked horrible. To be fair, it did look really bad.. I was so heartbroken though

musicallberrii
December 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Since there is nothing I can do with my hair since its been burnt to a crisp I just put a headband on everyday and all the dry dead ends poke out the top well, I had a contracter coming to my house every day for a week to do my patio...at the end of the week he asked me out to dinner and at the same time asked if Id be wearing my hair like that! What a jerk and yes I said no...

Also, I completely forgot to say this too, but good grief! I hope you smacked that guy or SOMETHING!:slap: Some people need a reality check.. how are you going to ask someone to go out with you AND insult them at the same time? :rolleyes:

cmnt831
December 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I would always get, "You didn't even bother to brush your hair" and would just shrug it off, but my friend who has thick 3b curls (and it was short, like between chin and shoulder, at the time) had her mom say that to her and she finally got sick of it. So, her mom said that again and my friend brushed her curls out and it just poofed out all over. Her mom was kind of mortified and never told her to brush her hair again that I know of. :p

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM

I take it he didn't know that was the name given to the meticulously styled Teddy Boy do's of the 50s then? Your gran was probably surprised to see it again after so many decades!

ddiana1979
December 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I simply cannot win with my mother (in any aspect of my life, really, not just hair). . .

When I leave it down she says I look "frowsy".

When I put it up in a bun, she says I look like Lilith Crane from "Frasier" (who I happen to think looks awesome, BTW).

And last but not least, when I recently got engaged, "You're 31 now, you have a Ph.D., and are going to have a husband soon. . . when are you going to cut your hair & attempt to look like a real adult?"

Thanks Mom. If only you were paying for my therapy. *sigh*

MissManda
December 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I know I've posted this elsewhere on the boards, but I think it's worthy to put here as well.

I was in Bi-Mart looking at the haircare aisle when a man and a woman came to look for some shampoo/conditioner. I was wearing my hair in a high ponytail and I'd brushed it straight so it looked like a solid 1b. Anyway, was I eavesdropping on them (I am infamous for doing that) when I heard the man say, "I don't understand why girls flat iron their hair like that. It looks SO unnatural." I also remember him saying how much he loved his female companion's hair, which sadly looked rather distinctly fried (I'm not saying that my hair is/was better, it was just what I observed).

I don't get it... :nono:

jojo
December 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
your hair looks like a witches (I actually liked that one!)
your hair makes you look sooooooo old,
OK,
no it really does,
OK,
well are you gonna cut?
NO! tea or coffee?
I dont even entertain peoples negativity, I wouldn't dream of making a comment on anybody's appearance yet have long hair and everybody has an opinion!

I actually look like Gonzo from the muppet show with short hair due to my big nose and actually look more old womany with shorter hair, i actually think longer hair makes people look younger; not that im bothered either way. People can like it or lump it I dont give a flying duck!

alwayssmiling
December 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Jojo, I told my OH that I'm aiming for a witchy look with my black hair and my sister said she likes the witchy look on herself recently! I have watched your hair grow since I joined from being long to amazingly long and has inspired me to not just aim for BLS but WL definitely. The witchy look is so cool. I like your attitude - couldn't care less, I became confident with age and have my own idea of wht looks good.

Qwackie
December 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM
"What would your son like?"
A woman asked my mom that, I was wearing a black Joy Division T-shirt with a pair of bondage pants and combat boots.... Though apparently, just because I have short hair, I have to be a guy. Have to. It's a must.
I know she didn't mean it, but I still took offense. That's what made me decide to grow my hair, because I was mistaken as a guy twice in one day.

LadyG
December 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM
The meanest I got was in Collage, Wash your Hair! I could wash my hair 3 times a day and it would still be greasy.....
And then there was the horrific short haircut a few years ago. I came home crying from the hairdressers in tears and hysterical.....and everyone lied to me and said my hair was great, you look great, etc. All I had to do was look in mirror and cry. I will never let anyone do that to me again.

redwoman
December 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I had a woman come up to me in a resturaunt bathroom and say "I've always hated redheads." And you tell me this because you think I will care? WTF. I laugh about this now.

christine1989
December 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
In 6th grade math class a girl who regularly made socially inappropriate comments to people said my hair (3a hair at the time) looked like a bird had made a nest in it. Luckily she sat in the desk right in front of me and I was able to take my friend's scissors and get a chunk of her hair :evil:. I got two days of detention but it was SOOO worth it!

DiablitaNoir
December 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
When I was in first grade, my dad chopped my hair. I had hair that was maybe almost down to the middle of my back and my dad butchered it into this awful bowl cut. The next day at school, all day long, the other kids called me a boy. Man, did that piss me off. I did look like a boy but that was beside the point!

yellowchariot
December 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
For us guys, the common, things we hear are: "Your hair is so long it looks like a girl, you should cut it."

I've heard this so much, that I have actually become very swift at replying back without missing a beat.

One time I said something, to another guy, that was similar to the effect of this: "You need to do something with your hair, because girls might actually think that you are a guy, which is false advertisement, because you and I both know, that you're just really a girl at heart. :cheer:"

^ I don't remember the exact words I used, but at the time it was funny, and so did the girl in the room.

Here is another one: "Yeah. . . I can date one of those really beautiful lesbians, that you can't stop talking about, now that I look like a girl. . . then I can tell you all about it ;)!"

^ No offense to lesbians! However this reply, absolutely killed him, he actually stopped and began to think for 30 seconds in silence haha :thud:

From family members (this was a long time ago): "When are you going to cut your hair?"

My Reply: "Well. . . Just from looking at your bald spots, I probably won't have to cut my hair, it will just fall out eventually!!! :rant:"

^ They never ask me again!

On a positive note. People and family members are now "used" to seeing my long hair, it is now a part of my character. So psychologically, to them, it is a "norm" for them to see me with long hair. I get more positive compliments than anything.

mellie89
December 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I've had a couple hairdressers tell me I had thin hair, so I should cut it shorter. I know, that's not really mean; they're just doing their jobs, or so they think. I'm just oversensitive, I guess.

In sixth grade, one of my friends ranked our group of friends in order of hair thickness, and said that I was last because I had, "like, no hair." :rolleyes: THAT was mean. And not true at all. I have a perfectly average amount of hair.

In middle school, I'd slept over at a friend's house so my hair hadn't had its scheduled wash (which at the time happened every other day). The next day; "Oh thank god you washed your hair, it was so greasy!" Why thank you, computing teacher who obviously gave up looking after himself before I was born. :rolleyes:

Ugh, I'm so dumb. I had to read this three times before I realized that you came into school with "greasy" hair and your teacher commented on it. I thought you had slept over at your teacher's house at first! :o

Why do teachers feel the need to comment on their students' appearances anyway? I remember a teacher telling a boy in third grade that it was "disgusting" to wear pants more than once without washing them, and that he needed to go home and wash his pants. :confused: Um, first of all, everyone I know wears pants more than once before washing them. Second, no third grade boy is doing his own laundry, so what's the point? :rolleyes:

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Why do teachers feel the need to comment on their students' appearances anyway? I remember a teacher telling a boy in third grade that it was "disgusting" to wear pants more than once without washing them, and that he needed to go home and wash his pants. :confused: Um, first of all, everyone I know wears pants more than once before washing them. Second, no third grade boy is doing his own laundry, so what's the point? :rolleyes:

This is so funny if you're reading this as a Brit, and read pants to mean underwear. I mean, that's pretty disgusting to a girl at least :lol:

AnnaJamila
December 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I had a hairdresser tell me my hair was too thick and coarse and I should stick with short, structured cuts or else I'd look like a scare crow. Um... thick yes, but coarse?!?! My hair is silky, thank you!

And your FACE is a scare crow! So there...

pepperminttea
December 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ugh, I'm so dumb. I had to read this three times before I realized that you came into school with "greasy" hair and your teacher commented on it. I thought you had slept over at your teacher's house at first! :o

Sorry, it was a bit long-winded. :o I'd slept at a friend's house, come into school (with skipped-a-wash-day hair). The following day, teacher commented that I'd washed it, and bang went my self-esteem for a while. Ah, middle school, how I don't miss you. :p

And ditto Enfys reading of that, before I reminded myself "American pants = trousers" I was so very worried! :lol:

RachelRain
December 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I get asked by my cousin's downstairs neighbor if my hair is real or a weave everytime I go see her. (actually, my boyfriend gets asked, but since it's my hair and I have pretty good hearing, I tend to comment before he can, so he might as well be speaking to me.) That said, the guy in question is almost fifty, apparently has never seen hair this long on a girl unless it was fake, and really really likes it. His wife told me he wants her to get extensions so it's about as long as mine, she asked if she should and I told her probably not, it'd be ridiculously heavy. lol.

My mom used to cut my hair in a pixie when I was in seventh and eighth grade because she didn't want to take care of it anymore and didn't want to teach me how. I got asked if I was a boy a LOT.

Now, people really don't say anything. I've had a few 'I'm going to cut your hair' comments from male customers at work, but a glare and a blatant threat of bodily harm AND a call to security tends to stop them in their tracks. It's pretty much just my mom now, and she just keeps telling me to cut it, which isn't really backhanded or mean, just annoying. Just because she likes hers cut like a man's, doesn't mean I do, so whatever.

lapushka
December 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
About the worst thing anyone's ever said to me was that I shouldn't be surprised if men reacted badly to my hair (it was long, layered, fiery red). If I wore it like that they could take it the wrong way. She used much more explicit and blunt terms which I'm not going to repeat. At that time, the only man who took the wrong way to the next level was a friend of hers who prowled around my house at night. Boy, that surely made me feel appreciated. :roll:

dropinthebucket
December 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Can it be from a movie? :D

_Rebecca_ (1940, Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier): "Why don't you do something with your hair? sweep it back behind your ears. Oh no, that's worse."

dropinthebucket
December 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Too funny!!

Not sure I can give these great comeback ideas to my son just yet, he's only 13 :D

He keeps getting these kinds of comments, and his hair is not even quite shoulder length. I guess that's considered long for a guy ... right now, he just tells people "I'm in training to be Chad Krueger." Not sure I spelled it right - hard to keep up with these young kids ...! I was saying Kazillionaire for a while instead of Chamillionaire, 'til my son said, 'mom, stop, you're making it sound embarassingly lame!' :) Apparently, I'm not allowed to talk if he has friends over, either, and definitely not about anything they think is cool, 'cause I'll get it wrong and make it uncool by talking about it. But I digress.......

For us guys, the common, things we hear are: "Your hair is so long it looks like a girl, you should cut it."

I've heard this so much, that I have actually become very swift at replying back without missing a beat.

One time I said something, to another guy, that was similar to the effect of this: "You need to do something with your hair, because girls might actually think that you are a guy, which is false advertisement, because you and I both know, that you're just really a girl at heart. :cheer:"

^ I don't remember the exact words I used, but at the time it was funny, and so did the girl in the room.

Here is another one: "Yeah. . . I can date one of those really beautiful lesbians, that you can't stop talking about, now that I look like a girl. . . then I can tell you all about it ;)!"

^ No offense to lesbians! However this reply, absolutely killed him, he actually stopped and began to think for 30 seconds in silence haha :thud:

From family members (this was a long time ago): "When are you going to cut your hair?"

My Reply: "Well. . . Just from looking at your bald spots, I probably won't have to cut my hair, it will just fall out eventually!!! :rant:"

^ They never ask me again!

On a positive note. People and family members are now "used" to seeing my long hair, it is now a part of my character. So psychologically, to them, it is a "norm" for them to see me with long hair. I get more positive compliments than anything.

GRU
December 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I remember a teacher telling a boy in third grade that it was "disgusting" to wear pants more than once without washing them, and that he needed to go home and wash his pants. :confused: Um, first of all, everyone I know wears pants more than once before washing them. Second, no third grade boy is doing his own laundry, so what's the point? :rolleyes:

For the record, my DS is in fifth grade, he's been folding and putting away his laundry since he was 4yo, sorting loads since he was 5-6yo, and loading / starting / unloading the washer and dryer by himself since he was 8-9yo.

So yes, there are third-grade boys who do their own laundry... they're just few and far between these days!

(he also loads / starts / unloads the dishwasher; vacuums carpets; dustmops hardwood floors; empties wastebaskets; takes out the garbage and recycling to the curb on trash day; mows the yard; weed-whacks; blows/rakes/mulches leaves; shovels snow on sidewalks/driveway; packs his own school lunch; cooks many of his own meals (in microwave, on stove, in oven)... all while participating in two different sports (hockey and tae kwon do) and getting straight As in school)

ElliesJellies
December 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM

It depends on the guy lol. I've talked to a guy about my hair before and he actually asked "...but it's real, right?" as if he was making sure that was a fact. Don't think that he would have cared much either way but some of them do.

Synthemesc
December 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
And your FACE is a scare crow! So there...

Your face, works every time...:D

Back when I had turquoise hair I got a lot of recommendations of salons that could fix it for me. Always made me giggle.

yellowchariot
December 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Too funny!!

Not sure I can give these great comeback ideas to my son just yet, he's only 13 :D

He keeps getting these kinds of comments, and his hair is not even quite shoulder length. I guess that's considered long for a guy ... right now, he just tells people "I'm in training to be Chad Krueger." Not sure I spelled it right - hard to keep up with these young kids ...! I was saying Kazillionaire for a while instead of Chamillionaire, 'til my son said, 'mom, stop, you're making it sound embarassingly lame!' :) Apparently, I'm not allowed to talk if he has friends over, either, and definitely not about anything they think is cool, 'cause I'll get it wrong and make it uncool by talking about it. But I digress.......

^ dropinthebucket, tell your son, to tell those losers, that the QUALIFACTIONS of playing guitar (if he does) or listening to classic rock/modern rock. . . is to have long hair! lol :p

Short hair and guitars don't mix. I know people with short hair who can play guitars VERY WELL, don't get me wrong.
But the people that I know that have long hair, that play guitar, can absolutely make one sing! It's just a common scientific fact! haha. Some say that if you were to cut off your hair, after being a master at the guitar, you would simply loose your ability to play it instantly! :p

Here is a brief excerpt of Jeff Beck (a famous guitarist, with long hair, he has cut it shorter now I believe) playing an instrumental version of "Amazing Grace": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f-mzWy-lT0 Some people may like this version, same may not. IMO he totally nails it. He most likely captured that feeling that John Newton had, when he wrote the lyrics of the song, giving up slave trade, and coming to the revelation of the meaning of mercy and redemption. . . all through the sound of this guitar, without any words.

ALSO, I've noticed that indivduals with long hair that play musical instruments, do artistic work, paint, have person hobbies, even back yard mechanics, tend to have a "lively" connection with anything they put their heart and soul into. I don't know why?! That has just been my personal observation over the years, and now, I'm glad to say that I'm one of those individuals! :D.

. . . AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK. . . you be sure and remind him who, Chuck Norris (semi-long hair), Jean Claude Van Damme, Steven Seagal, John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone), Achilles (Braid Pitt), Hercules (Kevin Sorbo), and let us not forget William Wallace (Mel Gibson)!

That should be enough education to school those punks that are giving him a hard time!

mellie89
December 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
For the record, my DS is in fifth grade, he's been folding and putting away his laundry since he was 4yo, sorting loads since he was 5-6yo, and loading / starting / unloading the washer and dryer by himself since he was 8-9yo.

So yes, there are third-grade boys who do their own laundry... they're just few and far between these days!

(he also loads / starts / unloads the dishwasher; vacuums carpets; dustmops hardwood floors; empties wastebaskets; takes out the garbage and recycling to the curb on trash day; mows the yard; weed-whacks; blows/rakes/mulches leaves; shovels snow on sidewalks/driveway; packs his own school lunch; cooks many of his own meals (in microwave, on stove, in oven)... all while participating in two different sports (hockey and tae kwon do) and getting straight As in school)

Oh wow! That's awesome. I think I need to rephrase my original thought. How about most third grade boys don't do their own laundry. :D

Also, I had no idea that "pants" are underwear in Britain! Those pants should probably be washed after one wearing. :p

Anywho, sorry for my further thread-derailment! :o

JulietCapulet
December 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
That I should cut it.

Gilly
December 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Even now, I still get called "girly" from time to time......

if only they really knew........

Are they within punching range when they say this...... I suspect not!

DARKMARTIAN
December 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM

lol.....not usually. :p

QMacrocarpa
December 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
It's a comfort to read of others getting the question that was the bane of my 7th/8th grade years and early high school (when I had shorter hair). I was riding city buses to school, and on those bus rides occasionally interacting with adult strangers. It was not uncommon for someone to strike up a casual conversation with me and after a few minutes of chit-chat ask "Are you a boy or a girl?" Why they needed to know I'm not sure.

Once I was walking home from work on a hot summer day, and a woman I met (a stranger) had a mini-rant about how she couldn't possibly survive with my hair in that heat (it wasn't very long, but big and bushy) . I said in that case it was lucky it was on my head instead of hers, which is maybe my most successful hair comeback!

yellowchariot
December 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM

lol.....not usually. :p

^ LOL, Ask them. . . "Why don't you comment on my hairy knuckles?!" *Then make a fist* :D

DARKMARTIAN
December 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
^ LOL, Ask them. . . "Why don't you comment on my hairy knuckles?!" *Then make a fist* :D

And once again.....:p

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/punch.gif

RachelRain
December 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It's a comfort to read of others getting the question that was the bane of my 7th/8th grade years and early high school (when I had shorter hair). I was riding city buses to school, and on those bus rides occasionally interacting with adult strangers. It was not uncommon for someone to strike up a casual conversation with me and after a few minutes of chit-chat ask "Are you a boy or a girl?" Why they needed to know I'm not sure.

Once I was walking home from work on a hot summer day, and a woman I met (a stranger) had a mini-rant about how she couldn't possibly survive with my hair in that heat (it wasn't very long, but big and bushy) . I said in that case it was lucky it was on my head instead of hers, which is maybe my most successful hair comeback!

I get that one a lot (usually from my mom and her sisters), but I don't think that one's usually backhanded... I've always taken that as a compliment both to our patience and our tolerance to the heat. :shrug: maybe I'm wrong. But I do usually agree with them that it can be ridiculously hot sometimes, but that I'd rather be a little warm than freezing cold because my neck isn't covered.

GRU
December 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Oh wow! That's awesome. I think I need to rephrase my original thought. How about most third grade boys don't do their own laundry. :D

That's more like it! ;)

I have it all planned out... some day I'll have a daughter-in-law who worships the ground I walk on. She'll have a husband who says "please / thank you / you're welcome / excuse me" when he should, as well as someone who puts the toilet seat down, plus can do all the household chores.... I anticipate some MOST EXCELLENT Mother's Day gifts in my future! :D

Katurday
December 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have chin-length hair. A few days ago my DBF's stepfather said how women should under no circumstances have short hair because it looks bad. I said men under no circumstances should have a fat gut, because it just looks bad.

Rapunzelwannabe
December 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I had a woman come up to me in a resturaunt bathroom and say "I've always hated redheads."

I wish I'd be quick enough to respond with "And I've always hated stupid people." In reality I'd probably gape like a fish at her and go "Um excuse me?!"

sanfen
December 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
We were invited to a birthday dinner of an elderly family member and there were people of all ages there - including a few that were 80+. Hubby and I walked in - I was feeling really good, it was springtime and I had just colored my hair and it looked great.

As I sat across from my sis-in-law and next to an 80+ yr old guest (who is a hoot), my sis-in-law remarks "Nice COLOR . . ." - loud enough for the whole table to hear - and the 80+ woman pipes up with "Catty, aren't we???" I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed and said "Oh, it's all right, I'm used to it." My sis-in-law was mortified.

I am so tired of her back-handed compliments - whether it's my looks, my cooking, whatever . . . I'm not all that bad looking and I am a fairly good cook (hubby says I'm a great cook) so I KNOW it's not me. . . .

I put up with it cause she's my hubby's sister and he loves her. And, of course, 99% of the time she never says anything when he can hear it.

hanne jensen
December 10th, 2010, 02:21 AM
This summer I covered my hair to protect it from the sun and weather. All my friends' comments were(insert very mean nasty racial comments). In the fall when I didn't cover anymore these same people told me to cover again!

2 months ago I wore my hair down to a party and one lady told me to "put up that ugly hair".

Igor
December 10th, 2010, 02:40 AM
My meanest hair comments have been received here on LHC. It’s surprising how people who price themselves of being open-minded and supportive can be so truly rude and pushing their personal opinion on others. Especially if they attack you for reading something in your posts that just isn’t there unless they desperately want to “analyse” it out of your carefully chosen words. Really baffling when their next post after a mean comment directed at you, is whining about how other people have said something rude to them :rolleyes:

One of my more “WTF?” moments was a member who some years PMed me about how I shouldn’t give up and keep growing. At first I thought I had somehow hinted to that I wanted to “give up” without intending to, which is something that never ever crossed my mind. So I read back over my posts to see if I had worded something carelessly so I could correct it. I couldn’t find anything. Nothing. Then I re-read the PM and it had a strong feel of “My hair is longer than yours, poor you”. I sent the member a polite PM back that no, I didn’t intend to give up, thank you and heard nothing more back

I have easily outgrown her years ago, so maybe now its time to repay her the favour and send her a polite PM about that she shouldn’t give up…? :stirpot:

dropinthebucket
December 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Yellow Chariot and Dark Martian, you crack me up! :D I had to call my son over to read you guys. He loved the punching fist :) - and yes, he does play guitar, Yellow Chariot, how did you know? You are psychic! He even knew who all the people you listed are (and listened to the clip - thanks for linking it)! And he's all like, "Mom, you were alive in the 80s and early 90s, you should know who these guys are!" I didn't have the heart to tell him....I was alive in the 60s, too! LOL

Maddy25
December 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM

I just wanted to add that I think there is nothing more beautiful than asian hair, I drool when I watch movies like memoirs of a geisha :o So gorgeous.

I always got, "it has no stlye, so boring" :mad:

jojo
December 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Jojo, I told my OH that I'm aiming for a witchy look with my black hair and my sister said she likes the witchy look on herself recently! I have watched your hair grow since I joined from being long to amazingly long and has inspired me to not just aim for BLS but WL definitely. The witchy look is so cool. I like your attitude - couldn't care less, I became confident with age and have my own idea of wht looks good.

aww thank you, I don't ive ever inspired anybody aww that made my day! :flower:

jojo
December 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
My meanest hair comments have been received here on LHC. It’s surprising how people who price themselves of being open-minded and supportive can be so truly rude and pushing their personal opinion on others. Especially if they attack you for reading something in your posts that just isn’t there unless they desperately want to “analyse” it out of your carefully chosen words. Really baffling when their next post after a mean comment directed at you, is whining about how other people have said something rude to them :rolleyes:

One of my more “WTF?” moments was a member who some years PMed me about how I shouldn’t give up and keep growing. At first I thought I had somehow hinted to that I wanted to “give up” without intending to, which is something that never ever crossed my mind. So I read back over my posts to see if I had worded something carelessly so I could correct it. I couldn’t find anything. Nothing. Then I re-read the PM and it had a strong feel of “My hair is longer than yours, poor you”. I sent the member a polite PM back that no, I didn’t intend to give up, thank you and heard nothing more back

I have easily outgrown her years ago, so maybe now its time to repay her the favour and send her a polite PM about that she shouldn’t give up…? :stirpot:

maybe they thought your hair was so beautiful and inspirational that you was a born long hair (you are probably number 1 inspiration on here) and they hoped you never got a whim to cut. Ive had similar and taken it that way; now i am thinking!

lw8666
December 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
"It's very mousey. Where did it all go?" -I get that one from my mom all the time. It's her being concerned about where my thickness has gone, but it hurts my feelings a little.

"Your hair looks like a horse tail." -Back when I was in Jr. High, some girl used to make fun of me for having long hair. It was waist length and when I had it up in a ponytail, I guess it looked like a horse tail to her. It did hurt my feelings because I was young. But now that I look back, I wish I still had that thick, healthy, beautiful horsetail again. Lol. Wish I could have gone back in time and said to myself "don't worry, she's just saying that out of jealousy."

Adiva
December 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
When I was about 15, a girl I went to school with said that my "hair was boring" because I "always wore it out and never did anything with it", there was probably some truth to it but I've never been one to care about/take to heart people's negative oppinions if I'm happy about something myself.

Maddy_T
December 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
In about year 8 I always got from my best friend 'your hair is way too thick, you should get it thinned and get layers like mine' haha and her hair looked SO hideous, wispy, thin hair with like, 2" short layers and longer at the back, eugghghghghg. I never had the heart to say anything, I think she would have been greatly offended.

AnnaJamila
December 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Your face, works every time...:D

Back when I had turquoise hair I got a lot of recommendations of salons that could fix it for me. Always made me giggle.

Doesn't it though? ;)

C. sinensis
December 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I was on a confirmation retreat when I was in ninth grade, and one of the girls in my group said "Your hair looks greasy." I was rather too shocked by the fact that someone was being that rude outside of a parody to come up with a good response, so I just told her I hadn't had time to take a shower. It was all completely true, but still...!

I've also had mom tell me I really need to wash or brush my hair, but that doesn't count. ;)

On the whole, I've had a fairly mean-comment-free existence.
(Or, possibly, I've had mean comments directed at me...and didn't notice, because I thought they were legitimate questions or observations. That's me, defeating would-be mean people with oblivion! :D)

isbmlamloi
December 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM
A mean hair compliment is actually kind of why I'm here. Wayyy back when in middle school, sixth or seventh grade, I was a part of a small-group project in class where we had to write and present a commercial. My group did a shampoo commercial, in part because one of the girls had this beautiful dark thick straight hair, and she posed as the "after" use model. After class, a friend of mine came up to me and asked if I was supposed to be the model for the "before." It was one of the most direct mean things ever said to me, and I have remembered it ever since. It is a big part of why I am so obsessed with taking care of my hair now!

To be honest, at that point in time I was just getting the super-greasy hair of puberty, and I had just finished growing out a perm, so I bet my hair was in pretty horrible shape. Still!

cuppycake
December 13th, 2010, 01:53 AM
After a ( unintentional) bleached hair disaster a friend of a friend we were out with told me ...You hair sooo looks awful you should cut it off etc. etc. and on and on . All the while smirking and trying not to look oh soooo superior.....I knew my hair needed to be cut after it was bleached to hell and back, I'm not an idiot, but I wanted to wait a few months before I did anything else to my hair at that point.....

So I restrained myself from doing what I wanted to do and simply said I know ...then added in for good measure that her boyfriend seemed to look more at my assets than my hair everytime we were in a room together and had no problem flirting with me bad hair and all... then smiled and waved at him as he smiled back from across the room because he had no idea I just threw him under the bus...The fight the ensued between the two of them made me forget all about her comment :slap: mean... yes ...but still true and she never said anything about my hair again :)

ETA : I was about 20 at the time.... I think I would handle it differently now....maybe ;)
lol good job! :D

Dreams_in_Pink
December 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Your hair looks like a BROOM!!!

Coming from a primary school friend :D

Igor
December 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
maybe they thought your hair was so beautiful and inspirational that you was a born long hair (you are probably number 1 inspiration on here) and they hoped you never got a whim to cut. Ive had similar and taken it that way; now i am thinking!

It felt like if someone completely randomly came up to you and told you “Aw sweetie, your weight looks healthy on you and you should keep doing what you’re doing!” and you know you never even talked about your weight to this person. That would probably make you feel pretty weirded out and paranoid… And thinking it was some sort of passive-aggressive jab.

It obviously made me “WTF” enough to remember it many years later :wink:

Sidani
December 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
"Eeeew, that's just gross!" ... "oh, how nasty"... I had no idea how to respond to either one of those.... and another one "I've never seen hair like that on a living person"... I don't even understand that one.:confused:

leslissocool
December 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I have to say mine.... At a dinner table, while trying to drag me willingly to a hair stylist, my family told said my long hair was ugly. I had really oily hair and no one used conditioner, so neither did I. Oily hair, washed every day with a harsh shampoo and no CO was just :trainwreck:

While giving me reasons to cut my hair, i was told that "I can squeeze your hair and make olive oil" it was so nasty. I has just washed it that morning :(

Now I know they where just ugly, jealous nasty people. I stopped talking to them now for 7 years, and I heard from someone who does that they saw my facebook pictures and though my hair was stunning:agape !!! What hypocrites!!!

And the list goes even longer with those family members... I am so happy I'll never see them again...

EDIT: Another one was in 6th grade... I had barely reached waist length, recuperating from a bad haircut I had...

I was at school, and we had to answer some questions about ourselves in latin i think.. It was a relaxed project, so we where all talking while we did it. There was a student teacher in the class with us, and when the question came up of "How do you wear your hair" (something along the lines) I said out loud "my hair is long"

well she turned around and said "your hair is not long. So'and so's blond hair is long. Your hair is medium length.

I was furious! There was one other girl, a blond girl, who's hair was less than 3 inches longer than mine but because she was blond somehow made her hair more deign of being qualified as long :(...

Torrin Paige
December 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
"Eeeew, that's just gross!" ... "oh, how nasty"... I had no idea how to respond to either one of those.... and another one "I've never seen hair like that on a living person"... I don't even understand that one.:confused:

First of all your hair is awesome, so the first two were just morons, or possibly had one of those weird hair phobias (although I'm afraid of birds, so I shouldn't get all judge-y I guess) and I was going to quip that apparently the second one trolls funerals looking in caskets and judging how long the recently deceased's hair was. Upon further reflection, I'm going to guess that they might have been thinking of animated characters...who do tend to have awesomely long hair. At least, I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former, because, ew.

jujube
December 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, you actually look kinda good with a shaved head, you still manage to look quite feminine.

Also, and this is a TMI:
I was once told by a boyfriend that I looked like a guy when we did it doggy-style. But it's not you, it's really me, I'm just not used to girls with short hair.

caadam
December 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Holy monkeys... D 8

People can be incredibly selfish and superficial, and it only shows more
when they make comments like that. That's why I don't hang
around very many people at all anymore. lol Stresses me out.

Anyway... uh, I don't know about myself. -shrugs- No one teased
me because of my hair when I was young, and it was pretty long
then. But when I got older I did have my mother bother me about
my lack in hair style, but now she doesn't.

I think the worst I endured was when I went to a hair salon to get
a good amount of inches off my BSL hair (this was a few years ago).
The stylist was Asian and she had this lovely cascade of straight,
black locks. I told her how I wanted my hair cut, and she just gave
me this cringe and shook her hair. "You don't want to cut your hair.
Men only like long hair."

At that time I was very shy and easily persuaded, so I just let her
off my ends a little. I was all right with it, but really? Not a very good
stylist if she's trying to make everyone look like her, even if her hair
was nice as long as it was. Her job is to style people's hair they way
THEY want it styled. Not make clones of herself. lol

She also made me feel kind of bad for wanting to cut my hair, as
though I was doing something to potentially damage my appearance.

Again... easily persuaded. Not anymore, though. Now it's a matter
of me not being too stubborn. x3 cut

Wow, you actually look kinda good with a shaved head, you still manage to look quite feminine.

Also, and this is a TMI:
I was once told by a boyfriend that I looked like a guy when we did it doggy-style. But it's not you, it's really me, I'm just not used to girls with short hair.

megpeg
December 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
I got made fun of a lot for my hair in elementary-middle school. Always got told it was poofy and that I looked like a puff ball and whatnot. I suppose it was quite big, but it got a good daily brushing in a high humidity area which equals lots of frizz. Looking back at photos, I think it looked quite good despite the abuse it was being put through.
If it wasn't frizzy, it was spiral permed, which "made it better". Yeah, not when it's shoulder length. I had the worst case of triangle-head ever!!!!!!
I was very self conscious about my hair growing up. I had a 'mushroom cut' when I was about 7 and got called a mushroom-head for a long time. I cringe when those pictures get pulled out from storage!!! lol

Vapunzel91
December 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Well mine might not be the same for everyone and some might agree with these, but:

One time, our water tank froze and broke. I showered at a friends' but I felt too guilty to spend the twenty minutes to wash my hair. In class, one of my friends said, "I like how stringy your hair is." I know he was saying my hair looked nice, but I felt really self-conscious because there was enough grease in my hair to cook a meal with.

Elenna
December 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Some girls told me that my hair was like a carnation. I had wury uncut hair at that point in time. Still it was my natural hair, wurly not straight.

LovelyL
December 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
The thing that gets me about these comments: do the people making them not realise that the person on the receiving end will instantly dislike them (like, until the end of time) rather than actually feeling bad about their hair?

I'm getting better at "disliking" this type of person "until the end of time", but I know I've been prone to just feeling bad after nasty comments...
probably just a case growing up and becoming more mature :o

rena
December 22nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
This isn't really mean as much as disconcerting...But back in the days when my hair was allowed full reign over my head, I earned the now permanent nickname of "fuzzy".

Yeah I guess its a cute endearment and all but really? At least thats not why they call me that anymore...Usually...

arc691
December 22nd, 2010, 06:48 AM
When I was little an old man told me I was an FT - Fit Thrower. I had no idea what he was talking about, then he said my hair was red and that meant I must have a temper to match! I still remember how much that hurt my feelings! :rolleyes: To this day I can't stand it when people refer to my hair color as red! :mad: And I never threw a fit in my life! My mom would never have let me get away with that even if the thought had occurred to me. :)

halo_tightens
December 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
I got my first really short cut in 5th grade. I didn't realize at the time that the texture and thickness of my hair would cause it to turn into one big POOF, though. It was truly awful. :(

One day, some guys were sitting behind me on the bleachers at school, and they started making buzzing sounds and clapping their hands around my head, saying that bees were swarming out of the beehive. :no:

Kome
December 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
I had a teacher in a tech school I went to always ask me when I was going to cut my hair.

Sidani
December 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
First of all your hair is awesome, so the first two were just morons, or possibly had one of those weird hair phobias (although I'm afraid of birds, so I shouldn't get all judge-y I guess) and I was going to quip that apparently the second one trolls funerals looking in caskets and judging how long the recently deceased's hair was. Upon further reflection, I'm going to guess that they might have been thinking of animated characters...who do tend to have awesomely long hair. At least, I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former, because, ew.

Awww, thank you, Torrin! you make me feel so good about my hair! :flowers: You are such a sweetheart! And I love your analyzations! LOL!!

Waveepagee
December 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I always get sort of weirded out when people (but i do this too sometimes!) say, "Oh, your hair looks pretty today!" today? What about every other day? even though that's not the intention I still laugh when I think that's what they mean!

Blessed Christmas everyone!!!

Uni&Corn
December 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
When I was twelve, I went to get my hair cut and the lady asked me if I was balding. My hair is fine, but not THAT fine >:[

When I was thirteen, my best friend told me my hair was boring and plain. It shouldn't come as a surprise that we had a fall-out a couple years later...

thirstylocks
December 22nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
People can be so awful!!

My once frenemy (now we're not on speaking terms) told me that my hair might be long but its totally frizzy and messy. She also said long hair with no layers isn't fashionable anymore. I think she said that because she had short, severely layered but still flat hair.

Then I told her I didn't mind because there are a lot of styling options with long hair like mine =) That shut her up.

Waveepagee
December 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
One time I caught my friend playing with my ponytail and when I turned around she said, "Your hair is soooo thick! One strand of it is as thick as my whole head of hair!" I don't think it was meant to be insulting, but it gets old sometimes.
Blessed Christmas everyone :D

kiwiipop
December 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
When I was twelve, I went to get my hair cut and the lady asked me if I was balding. My hair is fine, but not THAT fine >:[

:agape:How rude! You just can't believe some people.

Venefica
December 23rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
I had waist length hair when I was 20 and then I cut it off, my cat who used to like to play with my hair was so mad at me, she did not want to be held for days. Now that my hair is long again however she is happy.

My boyfriend once said that my hair looked very nice, but not quite as good as the hair of one of my favorite fantasy characters Nynave from Wheel of Time who is one of my inspirations. Needless to say I was not happy about that "compliment."

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I usually only get good comments on my hair. but back in 2007, i went to a salon for a hair cut and the hair stylist just acted disgusted with my hair. she kept talking about how i must straighten it all the time (and i never really did) just going on and on about how damaged it is. i found it really rude

sami
December 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
When I was little (6 I think) a 'helpful' cousin brought a barber (!!) around to cut my sister and my hair (another sis escaped with a trim cos everyone loved her thick hair). Needless to say we bawled our eyes out. The mean bit, which isn't mean really is that when back at school I was queueing up to use the girls' toilet at lunchtime. The kindly dinnerlady came over and said "no dear, not there", took me by the hand and led me over to the boys' line! I was horribbly embarrassed and waited until she'd moved on before fleeing!

JudeInStitches
December 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
When I was younger I didn't know you shouldn't brush wavy/curly hair (it didn't help that I took insanely boiling hot showers, and would always blow dry my hair on hot) because it causes it too look puffy. So I would brush my hair a lot which only left me with really big puffy/frizzy hair. So I got made fun of it... a lot.

longlockenvy
December 26th, 2010, 12:04 AM
"why dont you do something more with your hair? here is some money, go get a hair cut." - mom

Messyhair
December 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Urgh, when I had my hair butchered against my will (taking it from hip-length to shoulder length when I had only asked for a trim back to waist), lots of people commented on how much better they liked my hair shorter. Well, thanks, but I didn't need to hear that at that point at all. :(

ancilla
December 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I had a botched haircut the summer before I entered the 6th grade, and ended up with boy-short hair, and NOT in a cute style.

My hair was very thick and poufy back then, and I didn't know how to style it at all. I got mistaken for a boy all the time. I had no friends in school and kids made fun of me and called me "Afro Puff" It was horrible.

I think that experience is why I am so obsessive with my hair and with keeping it long and perfect looking. It's sad to say, but its the only thing that makes me feel feminine and pretty.

Second Growth
December 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=ddiana1979;1374159]I simply cannot win with my mother (in any aspect of my life, really, not just hair). . .

When I leave it down she says I look "frowsy".

When I put it up in a bun, she says I look like Lilith Crane from "Frasier" (who I happen to think looks awesome, BTW).

And last but not least, when I recently got engaged, "You're 31 now, you have a Ph.D., and are going to have a husband soon. . . when are you going to cut your hair & attempt to look like a real adult?"

Thanks Mom. If only you were paying for my therapy. *sigh*[/QUOT

----------------------------
My mother once greeted me when I came home from college for the summer with "Let's make an appointment for you to get all that awful hair cut off!" Not even "Hello." I felt like going back to the airport and flying away again.

She did eventually get over it and once even told me my my hair was pretty.

Second Growth

ChayahSaahene
December 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM
How has my hair been insulted? Oh, let me count the ways. If it is possible to have a hair disaster of any type, I have had it - so many times the door was opened. To give you some examples, all quotes came from other people.

I have had bad hair colors that left my hair "doo doo brown", "grandma grey", "seaweed green", and "bozo orange". I have had bad perms that made me have "poodle hair", "a caucasian afro", and "finger-caught-in-the-lightsocket look". I have had dreadlocks twice (which were absolutely beautiful) but unappreciated by some others which called them "doo-doo rolls". That some others I just mentioned were my grandmother and father. The last horrendous bleach job left me with a "frazzly platinum pile of crap" causing me to shave my head.

Soooooooo, now I have perfectly healthy, henndigo'd hair that absolutely no one says a mean word about. :)

catastrophe
December 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
When I was in primary school, there was one boy in my group of friends that called me "trampoline head." Yes, my hair was frizzy, curly, and short, and in all likelihood could have been used as a trampoline, but really? Through high school, he still made comments of that sort to people. No tact.

hermosamendoza
December 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
i've had the 'you need to layer it, it's so ugly just long and straight' from my sister since we where in high school and stupid me went and did it for years even though i hated it just to get her to shut up.

the one that makes me say huh was a friend saying my hair was too long (for her she would add in quick) made fun of every single long hair picture I had for inspiration on facebook. then when she saw me in person asked if she could play with my hair caue "it's soooo long"

she wanted to brush it. i told her no my hair was fried from dying it and it hurt to brush it dry. i comb it with conditioner in the shower. it wasn't really fried but i was insulted she would make fun of me then ask to play with my hair.

myria
December 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I did a faux-short ponytail (from Rapunzel's resource) and got a ton of compliments about how much better I looked. I was not impressed. :rolleyes:

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 03:38 AM
If they could cut it/ Did I brush it today

Venefica
January 17th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I am into BDSM, I am a submissive and at one point I had a part time Dom (Yes my hubby knew about him, met him and approved him, I did not cheat on my hubby and I never will.) when I met this Dom I had just bellow shoulders hair my natural blond, then between two times I saw him I cut my hair short and dyed it black. My Dom told me the hair looked great, but he preferred it long, he said submissive woman should have long hair. I do not really think it was mean, it was just an opinion.

Before I met my hubby I was talking with another Dom online and we where considering having a relationship. I backed out however as this man had a wife which was not supposed to know about it. Many would not consider BDSM play to be a sexual relationship however I will not be involved with cheating. Anyone I play with who have partners that partner have to know or it is a deal breaker for me. Anyway I was 16 and I had almost waist length dark blond hair, I was at the time thinking about cutting it, my potential Dom said no no no, submissive women should have long hair.

I have seen this other places in the BDSM community, long hair on women, especially submissive are really popular and cutting ones hair can lead to some nasty comments. I think it have to do with traditional gender roles and appearances.

As as side comment, Darkmartian, your hair is gorgeous. I love long hair on men. So if that is how the Devil look then I bet some women would not mind a trip to hell. :P

Igor
January 17th, 2011, 03:43 AM
My grandmother used to ask me “When are you going to cut all that long icky stuff?” every single time she saw me
Then I shaved my head. Next time she saw me, it was about chin length. She then said “Why did you cut your long hair? It was so pretty!”

Epic facepalm moment…
:rolleyes:

Freki
January 17th, 2011, 04:00 AM
My parents would always call me "Roseanne Roseannadanna" because they thought my hair looked like Gilda Radner's character. :p

bondgirl
January 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM
In the Dutch equivalent of middle school/high school I was picked on a lot by some classmates. They said I was ugly and called me sheep, because of my frizzy curls. :steam

Also, according to my boyfriend, when his sister told their family about my and my curly hair, they called me poodle for a while. They never did it to my face, but I still felt hurt, mainly because of the sheep thing.

Chamy
January 17th, 2011, 06:02 AM
The meanest hair comment i have ever gotten was when i was in fourth grade. It came from my so called best friend. I had my hair in a bun and had a headband to keep it off my face, and she said that: "You really should'nt wear your hair like that, its really ugly, everyone think that it is. And you will never get a boyfriend if you have your hair like that" It is really the meanest person i have ever known, when we started fifth grade she started bullying me.
I see her out on the town sometimes, and she looks miserable, and every time i see that i feel all warm and good inside. And i really couldnt be happier being spiteful. :D

Aredhel77
January 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
One of my parents once said to me: "Why do you spend all that money on hair conditioners...? Do you think it's going to make you look slimmer...?"

Like....what??!!

whisper
January 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I color my hair every..well it used to be once every 3 months but now I'm down to once every 6 or 7 weeks. When I do color, I get a blow out so I can go without wetting it for a few days to let the color "cure". While the comments I get while I'm a temporary straight-y are complimentary I can't help but feel that my normal everyday curls make me look like a hag.

Owner of the company (male): Oh! Your hair looks so much more...poli...um...professional!

Co-worker (male): You should wear your hair like that every day - the world would be your oyster!

Um...thanks...I think...But really, is the world so superficial that I am perceived and treated differently because my hair is usually not straight?!

And when I was in college a group of 3 or 4 blonde straighties passed by me in the hallway and one said to the other..."some people are so lucky...when it rains they get frizzy".

GlassWidow
January 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
One of the reasons I went with short hair in junior high was because my mother would constantly hassle me for not combing/brushing it. I think it's one of the reasons why I have these urges to fight against my waves...I keep hearing her voice in my head saying it looks "unkempt".

And to those that tell me to tease my hair, I just pull a lock in front of my face and say something to it like "you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny," and then look expectantly at the other person. Sure, they think I'm weird, but they drop the idea of teasing pretty quick.

Johanna
January 19th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Since I stopped dying my hair, my mum has commented every time I've seen her 'Geeze you've got a few grays!'

Thank-you mother dearest....

Dark Queen
January 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I guess the closest thing to a "mean" comment was when a girl I knew told me I'd look, "so much better" if I cut it short and added layers. Then again, the girl who said it was wearing the exact style she told me to get, go figure ;)

AspenSong
January 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
My grandmother and Aunt rode me like non other when we lived next to them because I stopped cutting my hair and my hair was eventually about TB length. I loved it, my dad loved it...but they wouldn't leave me alone. I got told constantly that it was "stringy" and "straggly"...They'd try to bribe me into cutting it. Tell me how horrible it looked and couldn't figure out why I didn't see it.

It was bad at times. Between being told that I could possibly look prettier if I'd cut it, to being told I'd never find a husband because I was too heavy.....it was just lovely. lol

Then, I very foolishly gave in. Just because living right next to them, I saw them often and I was tired of feeling like either crying or screaming at them for it and the comments. So I hacked it off to shoulder length and then spent the next years cutting and messing with it...somehow convinced I wasn't meant to have long hair.

Thankfully I stopped all that! :)

Lianna
January 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
It depends on the guy lol. I've talked to a guy about my hair before and he actually asked "...but it's real, right?" as if he was making sure that was a fact. Don't think that he would have cared much either way but some of them do.

I agree. When I had a pixie nobody even looked at me, at just shoulder length I stop traffic? I think lots of men notice hair. Nothing else changed about my appearance.

On topic. My mom is also waiting for my hair to grow, and it's annoying. She keeps saying only "those silly people" cut their hair. Then I do a little dusting on her and she says it looks so much better. :D

Amraann
January 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I forgot about this one..

A friend of hubby's came to visit this past summer. He said that my hair looked stringy.
But he really had an attitude towards me about everything. Not sure why since we had not had a problem previously.

xovictoryxo
January 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
are you wearing a wig?

Lil Red Vampire
January 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
From Aredhell77

One of my parents once said to me: "Why do you spend all that money on hair conditioners...? Do you think it's going to make you look slimmer...?"

Like....what??!!

Oh. My God. I can't believe they said that to you.....awful

Aredhel77
January 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
From Aredhell77

Like....what??!!

Oh. My God. I can't believe they said that to you.....awful

I know! However, I should have added this was a looong time ago. My mother and I understand each other better now and I don't receive catty comments like that off her really any more.

However, it stung at the time! I can't work out the logic of that quote LOL!! :confused:

SandraRebekka
January 22nd, 2011, 03:24 AM

Very nicely pointed out. I believe that women dress up mainly for the opinion of other women. A constant competition it seem to be. I must agree that most men are not going to ditch you because you happen to have to flat hair!

SandraRebekka
January 22nd, 2011, 03:29 AM
I agree. When I had a pixie nobody even looked at me, at just shoulder length I stop traffic? I think lots of men notice hair. Nothing else changed about my appearance.

On topic. My mom is also waiting for my hair to grow, and it's annoying. She keeps saying only "those silly people" cut their hair. Then I do a little dusting on her and she says it looks so much better. :D

Could it be that they do notice when women take care of them selfs, including hair. Long hair does attract attention but I think the attention will only be positive if said hair is in good condition right?

samanthamelinda
January 22nd, 2011, 03:53 AM
Could it be that they do notice when women take care of them selfs, including hair. Long hair does attract attention but I think the attention will only be positive if said hair is in good condition right?

lol no not really. My "mean" hair comments always came from guys, or should I say boys? In 6th grade my hair was probably between bsl and my waist if I remember correctly and really, really thick. I think I was trying to grow out my bangs at that point, too. This boy used to mess with me so badly, and for some reason he gave me his petname "Shaggy." And of course it's written in my yearbook lol.

Another one was, "You look like a sheepdog." I've been called It before. Some offhanded comment was, how long does it take you to dry that, a week?

The first time a flat iron had ever touched my hair (or that I had ever seen one for that matter) was probably when I was 20 years old and I was taking cosmetology courses. Oh it was beautiful afterwards but one of my friends in class goes, "I've been dying to do that to your hair for so long." ugh hahahaha :)

Mesmerise
January 22nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
I remember when I was about 13 or 14 my best friend (so called best friend lol) said: "When your hair's not permed it's straighter than Bronwyn's"... The stupid thing is that Bronwyn actually has really lovely straight hair lol and mine isn't very straight at all. It's sort of errm... more or less wavy lol... I'd ADORE hair that straight.

This falls into a "mean" comment though...cause she meant it as an insult. I look back now and laugh, cause I remember trying to convince her that my hair wasn't straight at all, but I couldn't prove it of course, cause I had an awful perm!

podo
January 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Wow.. I am simply amazed at how many posts in this thread were from family members - often mothers! I am suddenly so much more thankful that I have my family!

When I was about 11 I let my mom's cosmetologist friend cut my BSL hair to shoulder, and then PERM it! It took 2 perms to "break through the hair shaft". I can't even describe what was left - I looked like Shirley Temple until I got to wash it, and then it was.. um.. just.. yeah. I started growing out the perm, but when I was 15 or so I still had a long way to go. I'd put it in a high pony and my dad would say I looked like "the north end of a south-bound Keeshond" (we had 2 Keeshonds). He meant it as a funny comment, not a criticism, and that's how I always took it, but the phrase has stuck with me ever since.

I don't really have any stories from school since I didn't have any friends until I was 15-16 (and they were all out of school already, so still no friends during school) but I know people would talk about me so I'm sure there were some nasty hair comments.

PeaceLoveHair
January 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
My hair stylist told me my hair was just long and boring when I asked to to just cut and inch because I was growing it out. The thing is, she told me she was growing hers out too!

Aleria
April 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Just after I chopped and dyed, my mom told me she loved it and thought that it was nice to see it styled and not just "hanging there". Despite the fact that I've had longish hair most of my life, and it was layered, wavy, thick and I had bangs (unlike her between chin and shoulder, stick straight thin hair...)

AnqeIicDemise
April 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
"pareces rancho viejo."

You look like an old ranch. In this case, referring to the ranches of my country, which are predominantly made of stucco walls and thatched, hay roofs in the poorer countryside. -.-

I much preferred the 'your hair looks like cleopatra's hair when she let the braids out.'

The first comment came from my mother. The second from a classmate, grade 4.

ladyveg
April 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM
One Thanksgiving I was relegated to the kids' table. My then 5-year-old niece asked me, "Don't you own a comb, or a brush?" Her mom just laughed.

Luna12345
April 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM
A lady at a hair salon was blow drying my hair straight and I didn't like the way she made it look, it had frizz so I asked her kindly if she couldd go over some parts again and she did but the whole time she was complaining about how my hair was the curliest hair she's ever seen in her life and how if she were me she would shave it all off and wear a wig.

MeganE
April 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
It's not horribly mean, but at the end of a haircut, my stylist handed me the hairtie I'd used for a ponytail on the way in and said, "Maybe you won't need this anymore, eh?" I didn't need it, I was wearing it up because I hadn't washed it, in anticipation of the stylist's shampoo job. But it really wasn't that bad, I've generally received very positive comments about my hair.

And to those that tell me to tease my hair, I just pull a lock in front of my face and say something to it like "you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny," and then look expectantly at the other person. Sure, they think I'm weird, but they drop the idea of teasing pretty quick.

That is SO FUNNY! I had to reward you with all the best animated smileys.

:applause: :flower: :bounce: :pegasus: :lol: :sun: :cheese: :rockerdud: :waving: :love:

I can't stop laughing!

MeganE
April 4th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Oops double-posted!

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I was just told that my hair is too big for me and has to be thinned out. However, she was referring to a particular time when it was drizzling out. Of COURSE my hair is going to be big and poofy then.

Syaoransbear
April 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I've been told that I should just shave my head and start over.

sneakybea
April 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Wow, there really are some mean people out there! I can't believe some of the things people have said about everyone's hair!
I haven't had a lot of bad comments (or a lot of good ones--although I think maybe I just don't trust or hear them), but I did have a couple of friends tell me "you should color your hair--it would look thicker." Now, my hair does get a lot smaller when I wear it up, which I do a lot. But 1. I've never complained about my hair looking thin (if I had, and was asking for a solution it would be different) and 2. I don't actually think my hair does look thin. So while they may have meant well, it struck me as a bit rude.

And this one probably doesn't count as mean, because it came from a child; a little girl I tutor asked me to take my hair out of my bun, and when I did, she said "I don't like your hair down--you look like somebody from Jamaica." ??? I think maybe it was because I twist my hair in a bun, and it comes down in a large sausage curl, which maybe looked like a dread lock to her? Who knows with kids?!

Aud200
April 5th, 2011, 09:24 PM
And this one probably doesn't count as mean, because it came from a child; a little girl I tutor asked me to take my hair out of my bun, and when I did, she said "I don't like your hair down--you look like somebody from Jamaica." ??? I think maybe it was because I twist my hair in a bun, and it comes down in a large sausage curl, which maybe looked like a dread lock to her? Who knows with kids?!

Haha, this one is funny! Jamaica?? :cheese:

People have been, are, and will continue to be plain ol RUDE...that's for sure! Some of these comments are unbelievable!

telegraph64
April 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I once was asked if something was nesting inside of my long hair. I told them no, but karma may have led something to nest in their hair! :(

Miss Catrina
April 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My best friend has commented on how thin my hair is, or "wispy". She didn't mean anything by it, but... yikes.

Alexannee10
April 6th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I think it was the «you should cut your hair if you want it healthy!» or «you should go to the hairdresser for a real haircut»
uummm .. thanks? pff.

Malibu Barbie
April 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I had a women come up to me laughing, then she said, "Everytime, I see your ponytail I just want to cut it off". She thought it was funny.

Rafusen
April 6th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I used to work with a woman who often told me that my hair was too plain and too long. "Why don't you ... *tsk* just DO SOMETHING WITH IT and make it look NICE for once?" I was doing something =_= ... avoiding heat styling, oiling, using a BBB religiously, stretching washes, etc. Grrrr ...

Anathema
April 6th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I was out at a bar, and a woman behind me tips her beer glass over and makes a total mess on the table she's sitting at. I was talking to someone at that time, but I could hear her say "See that woman's hair? Lets use it to soak the beer up, instead of just hanging there being all useless!"

I remember looking at her with a hesitant smile, shrugging my shoulders and deliberately NOT passing her the napkins that were placed just beside my glass...

Prelude
April 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I can't really remember a negative comment per say. I remember I wasn't well liked in school and I always kept my hair in front of me when I was sitting at my desk in fear that someone behind me would cut it. But one comment that I wasn't sure what to make of was one I received when I was in grade 8 .A girl in my class walked up to me and asked why I dyed my hair. I replied in didn't and when she walked away I heard her say to her friends in a mocking tone "oh she streaked it then" when in truth I had spent the previous weekend at the beach with my hair braided, so it must have been bleached a little by the sun.

Topaz
April 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've always had nice compliments on my hair, with the single exception of my mother. When I was a teenager and my hair was only a little past BSL, she would call it a 'mess of hair' while making a snarly face. On occasion she would grab up a pair of scissors in one hand and my hair in the other and say she was going to 'chop that mess' off. Even after I was married and moved out, I dreaded going over because she never failed to comment on 'that ugly mess of hair.' She was not a pleasant woman at all, never was, and I can only imagine the insults that would be flying at me now that my hair is a couple inches past waist length, and here I am a Granny of 53. Boy would she be furious!

wavykisses
April 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I don't know if it's mean but yesterday my sister in law came to my house
and said: Did you cut your hair? looks shorter
me: No it is actually longer, I haven't cut it in 4 months
her: noooo it is shorter you did have a haircut
me: No I just told you
Her: well looks shorter!.
me: crying all afternoon and feeling down
I will never put my hair down again for her to look at it, I still feel depressed
about it, because at least for me my hair is actually getting longer as the
time goes by not shorter :(

BlueCanary
April 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Last time I saw my sister in law she was cranky and PMSing. I asked her to borrow a mirror so I could see the back (I'd forgotten to bring one and was doing a flip pony) and she said, "Your hair is too long. It doesn't look good. You should cut it." I didn't take it personally because she was being a real twit to everyone right about then, and frankly her hair is less than beautiful, so I wouldn't be taking hair advice from her anyway. She did later apologize though.

talecon
April 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
mines is not a comment or compliment but a reaction. when I wake up in the morning my poofed up hair tends to really shock some people - its like they never see it coming shudder:

TakeAPotatoChip
April 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
In high school on picture day (my first in years since I'd been homeschooled) my sister insisted on making me look 'super nice' (hair & makeup) so I gave in and let her. She blow dried & then straightened my hair and my hair HATES heat, always feels limp, dry, lackluster, etc., but my sister thought I just wasn't using the right products/techniques :disgust: so she assured me I'd look fine which I did.... for half an hour. Hair felt crappy on the bus ride. Anyway while waiting in the line for the pictures I noticed this chick staring at me.

"What? Is my makeup smudged?"
"No. Your hair."
:confused:
"Did you even know it was picture day?"
:surprise:
Then she did this little snarky laugh.

:rant:

It was the laugh that offended me really.

GrowingOut
August 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM

You have the kind of son most parents DREAM about.

I'm trying to be that kind of girl for mine, and I've grades down pat.

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM

A lot of village women of China have beautiful long locks... I would've just said "thank you! :D" to piss the person who said that off LOL!!!!

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM

OMG you are my hero!!! That's hilarious and took some serious kajones to do!!! hahahaha!!! Go you!!!!

Rufflebutt
August 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
I was going around looking for a Boar Bristle Brush and encountered some interesting sales people. The first said I needed *item in hand* because my hair was so dry and brittle. The second told me that because my hair was "so thin" I should use *item in hand*.

a) my hair is and was not dry and brittle and b) I have the thickest head of hair of anyone I know.

It's like they were trying to get me to buy something by criticising me when they clearly hadn't even looked at me.
Some people think they can tell hair texture and thickness by looking at someone's hair only without touching or feeling. People always try to tell me that my hair is thin because it's straight and have no volume. Usually inviting them to try putting my hair in a ponytail shuts them up, because then they can actually experience for themselves how much hair I truly have.

Seeshami
August 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
I get a lot of "holy crap your hair."

And recently I have been responding with, "Yeah, he doesn't like you." and then I get to come up with hilarious reasons why the naughty mess doesn't like some one. Like their shoes match, that has been my favorite.

Rufflebutt
August 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
are you wearing a wig? I actually get this one a lot. I can't help but feel a bit insulted. I mean, does it really look fake to you?

spirals
August 21st, 2012, 09:38 PM
mines is not a comment or compliment but a reaction. when I wake up in the morning my poofed up hair tends to really shock some people - its like they never see it coming shudder:

Ha! My former roomie once told me she used to "stifle a laugh" many mornings in order to spare my feelings. In junior high the boy I had a crush on called me "mophead."

renia22
August 21st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Jeez people can be horrible. Nothing like getting a back handed compliment or rude comment about our hair (or weight!). A friend once told me in front of a bunch of people that my hair way too thin & I needed a body wave (yes, a body wave lol. This was the 90s. Do they still call them that?). So embarrassing. This is not about hair, but another time I lost a lot of weight and was really proud of myself, and I had someone ask me in front of all of my co-workers if I had cancer :/

akilina
August 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM
One for me is that "short hair makes your face look really round"

But it is sort of a good thing.....it keeps me from wanting to chop short! :)

Tisiloves
August 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
"Sort your hair out, it looks like an exploded matress" -My parents and relatives.

Well if you will cut my very thick, wavy, slightly coarse hair into an ear length bowl cut of course it's going to poof. :rolleyes:

Geneva99
August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
The one comment that I remember was from a store clerk at a clothing store at the mall a few years back. She thought that my hair was weird. I was confused. How is my hair weird? It's curly, but not weird. She on the other hand had a perm..... a frizzed out perm. I guess anything that didn't resemble her hair was weird. :confused: :shrug:

Moonfall
August 22nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
, Ugh, last year, I decided to go to my girlfriend's hairdresser. Don't ask me why - it was an Asian one, and since my hair is anything but Asian straight, I should've realized earlier that they probably weren't used to my type of hair. While washing it, the hairdresser asked me several... Questions.
'Wow, what have you done to your hair? Have you coloured it too much? Don't you ever cut it?"
I have never coloured my hair and I had gone for a trim a few months ago.
Well, after that little comment, they surely won't see me back anymore.

Evadne
August 22nd, 2012, 12:58 AM
The only comment I've gotten that comes to mind was from my boyfriend. The other day we went to the movies and I wore my hair down and parted in the middle. He said he didn't like it cuz it looked flat and elongated my face too much, even though I actually liked it because the frizz was rather tame considering I didn't use any heat on it (which I'm always fighting).
He also thinks I look like a hippie (in a not so good way) but my style is rather bohemian and I think the hair compliments the look.

Anyway, all the mean comments you guys have gotten, baffle me.
I noticed a lot of "your hair is boring, you should cut it". To me, long hair is the opposite of boring. It's dramatic and flexible! Even rare! You can do so many different up-dos or get a really sexy and romantic look while it's down.
Nearly everyone has hair that's shoulder length or shorter. THAT'S boring. Bunch of sheep! If they don't like the look of long hair, well then they can thank us for doing them the favor of bringing that to light for them. Now they know to just keep on going to the salon and chopping it all off. Keep on torturing it with heat and chemicals. Fry it til it's within an inch of it's life, and then dye it all off and wonder what happened to their perfect hair. Whatever they think, their negative comments are unnecessary and uncalled for.

I also can't believe there are so many people out there who have the balls and desire to say such nasty things to someone's face like that. It's one thing to gossip a little in your head or at home with a friend, but to someone's face??? What the heck is going on in their little worlds that they feel they have the right to rain on someone's parade like that? It's not even just hair comments either, it happens with everything!

Sorry, I'm probably overreacting a bit, but I just don't get it. Why so mean?

Green Eyes
August 22nd, 2012, 04:21 AM
It's really my story but u heard this from a friend, in her 4th year at high school there was a girl in her class that had TBL strawberry blonde ringlets and I'm told it looked amazing however some idiot in their chemistry set her hair alight with a Buson burning. Poor lass came back in the next day with a cropped pixie.

I swear if that me I would kill whoever that did it.

auburntressed
August 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
It's really my story but u heard this from a friend, in her 4th year at high school there was a girl in her class that had TBL strawberry blonde ringlets and I'm told it looked amazing however some idiot in their chemistry set her hair alight with a Buson burning. Poor lass came back in the next day with a cropped pixie.

I swear if that me I would kill whoever that did it.
Someone set my hair on fire when I was in science class in high school, too. But it was with a can of lysol that they improvised into a blow-torch. I did not have to cut off a lot of hair - just a tiny section.

That poor girl... if I'd have had to have my hair cut because of burn damage, my mom would have pressed assault charges. Luckily for me, I was able to hide the fact that it happened at all from my mom at the time.

Green Eyes
August 22nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
Someone set my hair on fire when I was in science class in high school, too. But it was with a can of lysol that they improvised into a blow-torch. I did not have to cut off a lot of hair - just a tiny section.

That poor girl... if I'd have had to have my hair cut because of burn damage, my mom would have pressed assault charges. Luckily for me, I was able to hide the fact that it happened at all from my mom at the time.

No I agree it's a right shame but like I mentioned before I would have given the person who did it a right kicking

Garnet66
August 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
I can a few hair comment that stuck with me all these years. When we lived in Hawaii a neighbor once told me that I'd never grow my hair. And the one that hurt the most is yesterday when dh told me that he and the kids knew I'd never grow my hair because they all know how I am. It's hard not to get discouraged with a comment like that.

This is a weight related one. My dad once told me "you'd be so much prettier if you lost some weight". Ugh! To hear that from my own father.

Ayjay
August 22nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
When I was a teen I did my hair so that it had 2 braids going around my head and joined together in the back. My dad saw it and called me a "Halo Head" and since then I wouldn't do my hair like that again :P Silly Dad I know he didn't mean it in a mean way.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2012, 05:42 AM
You're too small for long hair.

Tota
August 22nd, 2012, 05:52 AM
I have this female friend who believes that after 25 all women should cut their hair to shoulder length or shorter and style their hair to look "well-groomed". We were classmates in high school and then roomates for a few years and she frequently dropped comments about how little hair I have and that it's so thin it would never look good long. Ok fine, maybe she was (is) unhappy with her own hair so it made her feel good to compare herself to me and to belittle me.

When I stopped dyeing my hair and decided to grow virgin hair she said it will look boring once it's all virgin because my natural hair is just so ... colourless. Yes, comparing to her beautiful natural flaming orange hair it might. But come on, if I don't care why should she?

Then I stopped going to the salons and my thinned out hair (hairdressers liked to cut my hair in layers, layers and some more layers) didn't look as thin as it used to. Then I stopped using sulphates and silicones and my hair became even less thin and miserable looking. The comment was: Oh, you poor thing, you try so hard to make your thin hair look thicker. Eeeeeem no, I don't. It's just I learned how to be good to my hair ;)

The last time we met the comment was: Oh, your hair is soooo long (no, it's just MBL), you will cut it soon, won't you?

I was so fed up with her comments that I had to say something back:

ME: Why, does it look bad?
HER: No ...
ME: Does it smell bad?
Her: No...
ME: Is it harmful in anyway to you, me or anyone else?
HER: Come on, don't be stupid, how can hair be harmful?
ME: So why should I cut it?
HER: Because it's so long!

She's a good friend otherwise and I love her a lot, but now I just give her a dirty look when she starts commenting my hair and then we change the subject :D

ETA: Another one: I was working as a part-time waitress a while ago and some guy called me to the table because he wanted to pay the bill. He then gave me a tip and said (in front of all his friends and family that were there with him): Here, have this to pay a hairdresser. The whole table started laughing loudly at me ... It was just when I decided to grow out my virgin hair and had about an inch of dark roots, but really? So primitive.

PinkyCat
August 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM

Awwwww! I'm sorry they said that and made you feel bad - But I also find it so incredibly cute I just want squeeze you!! :puppykisses: In a grandmotherly way of course!

gillybeanxo3921
August 22nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
The last time I got my hair cut they told me my hair was fried all the way to the roots.

Funny thing is, my hair is soft and shiny and I haven't flat ironed in over a year. I have at least six inches of virgin hair.

duchesswannabe
August 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
ETA: Another one: I was working as a part-time waitress a while ago and some guy called me to the table because he wanted to pay the bill. He then gave me a tip and said (in front of all his friends and family that were there with him): Here, have this to pay a hairdresser. The whole table started laughing loudly at me ... It was just when I decided to grow out my virgin hair and had about an inch of dark roots, but really? So primitive.

Feel sorry for that bunch of idiot henchpeople that felt they had to laugh with the guy. Maybe also his abominable manners embarrassed them so much they felt they had to laugh to diffuse it. Still, one of them should have made him feel like a hineyhole.

bunnylake
August 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM
The meanest comment I've ever received came from a receptionist at a hair salon.
I went in for a trim, and the stylist was very nice and didn't cut off too much so I was pleased. He of course blowfried it and styled it, which looked nice but not how I'd normally wear it. When I went to pay, the receptionist said "you're hair looks much better now, it was a MESS before! I was looking at it when you came in and omg bla bla bla" it was so embarrassing. And I actually thought it looked pretty good when i first went in!
When I got home I called and complained to the owner. He offered me a free blowout. Um no!

DancingQueen
August 22nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
7th or 8th grade, I think. I had long, curly hair, and noone ever told me not to brush it. Huge frizz-issues, and nothing seemed to help. One of my 'friends' told me I had witch-har.

Rufflebutt
August 22nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
I just remembered that when I was little my hair was extremely long. About classic length at the longest it reached. Kids weren't very nice about it, though. They would come up to me and seem almost ANGRY, telling me to cut it or they would tug on my hair.

Kiwiwi
August 22nd, 2012, 07:46 AM
The meanest comment I've ever received came from a receptionist at a hair salon.
I went in for a trim, and the stylist was very nice and didn't cut off too much so I was pleased. He of course blowfried it and styled it, which looked nice but not how I'd normally wear it. When I went to pay, the receptionist said "you're hair looks much better now, it was a MESS before! I was looking at it when you came in and omg bla bla bla" it was so embarrassing. And I actually thought it looked pretty good when i first went in!
When I got home I called and complained to the owner. He offered me a free blowout. Um no!

Whoa!
I may have said "Excuse me?! I will not pay for being insulted!" and walked out without paying. I may have. I would want to.
Pffhhh! So disrespectful!

CurlyCurves
August 25th, 2012, 12:42 PM
"Your hair looks better straight"

A girl in school (who ironically had frizzy hair herself) called me 'Frizzhead', which hurt my feelings at the time.

I can't think of any more at the moment, if I do, I'll be sure to post :)

AutumnLocks
August 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I used to get lots of nasty comments about my hair when I was a little girl. "Redhead, redhead, 5 cents a cabbage head" Stupid childish stuff like that.
As far as men not liking flat hair? All the men I have dated in my life, including my DH have expressed a preference for soft, touchable hair. Not crunchy, teased hair that looks like it is right out of a time warp.

Mischamiu
August 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I once said to a friend my mul wouldn't let me dye my hair because it would damage it, her reply was "why? it doesn't look that great anyway" I felt very hurt, she is one of my closest friends but sometimes what she says is just too hurtful I don't tell her anything about because I think she is a bit insecure but she still hurts a lot of peoples feelings...

Elithia
August 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
From a friend in middle school: "Your hair's not curly, it's frizzy." (It was, but only because I didn't know not to brush it at the time.)

From the same friend: "You need to stop parting your hair down the middle. Only blonde people look good with a center part, and your widow's peak makes it look stupid."

From a well-meaning but blunt friend: "Your hair looks so much better short." Which it doesn't.

KwaveT
August 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
This was not to me but to my mother about me. Person told her because of my hair that I look like a wolf. My mother herself thinks my slight frizz and curls looks like a rat's nest. "Your hair looked so much better short". I find out later that she is jealous of my spirals and wish her hair was like that. My sister is jealous of my waves and spirals too. "Why did you have to be the one to get the curly hair". It is like she thinks curly hair got wasted on a man when it should have been her. Two women envious of a man's hair (mine). I know the truth now. That is about the worse that I deal with.

gratitudinous
August 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe people are so tactless! I've never really had any terrible things said to me about my hair, but I also didn't go to school hardly at all, so no opportunity. Big (((Hug))) to all my fellow awesome longhairs.

This was not to me but to my mother about me. Person told her because of my hair that I look like a wolf. <snip>

I'd post that in THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27610) thread! :D

KwaveT
August 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Wolf comment was not intended as no complement. They were basically telling my mother that my hair was unkempt, messy, or whatever adjective to that effect.

HylianGirl
August 25th, 2012, 09:23 PM

I've heard that one too, I am 5 feet tall, so I've been told that I'll look even shorter if I have long hair, and short hair will make me look taller. Hey, I don't have a problem with my hair or my height, and I don't want to change either ò.ó

Anyways, I once was in a class, and there was this English teacher who was known to make comments about random people watching his class, and one day (during the class!), he was walking between the students and talking, sudenlly, he grabbed some of my hair (and held it as if he was disgusted by it) and asked "why don't you take care of it?". It made me feel so embarassed I don't even remember what the class was about x.x I just wasn't expecting for something like that to happen I had no action...

Schrei777
August 25th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've had so many mean comments directed at my hair due to my inability to keep it a 'normal' color, that it barely phases me anymore.

The most recent that comes to mind since having my black and blue hair came from a customer a couple of weeks ago at work. I went way out of my way to help her out then when she was done she looks at me and says "Honey why would you detract from such a pretty face with such ugly hair. You would look so much better if it were a normal color." That's what I call a backhanded compliment lol.

Elithia
August 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I've got another one ... I was 12 or 13, and my hair was edging up on hip. I went with my mother when she got her hair cut short. As my mother was sitting down in the chair, the stylist looked over at me and said, "Well, you're the one that needs a cut!"

Anapeli
August 26th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I have curly hair and I did the keratin treatment about 18 months ago. A dad from boyscout who
I don't know tells me "why did you do that to your hair? You look old. I don't like it" I
Just responded with "thanks"

frogs
August 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
"Oh my god, boys cant wear handbags. You are so gay."

1. Im was (am) a girl with a shaved head (not anymore though..), get used to it and if you cant, just go away and dont say anything mean about it please.
2. Stop using the term "gay" as something negative.

Okay, its not their fault that people mistook me for a boy but hey, i got curves and my figure isnt boy-ish at all.

TheWhiteRabbit
August 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
"Do you brush your hair with an eggbeater?"
"Your hair is so gross, you need to wash it with shampoo and conditioner"
Thank you person with damaged hair, you should give me more hair advice for me to ignore.

HazyMoon
August 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
My mom told me recently to try using Rogaine or go to the doctor because I have thin hair at my crown... there was a heavy dose of "you look bald" mixed in.

My hair looks fine! I certainly don't look bald!

Diamond.Eyes
August 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
"Your hair is long and undyed, are you a home-schooled Christian or something?" From a rude student at cosmetology school.

"How does it feel to be a soul-less ginger?" From a boy in the local theater who thought he was being witty. I've heard that before..I just thought it to be odd because he was an 18 year old boy...kind of immature. :p

lydiajo
August 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
My sil told me that I needed to cut my hair before my dd was born. Didn't do it. On top of that, I carried her in a sling and she never pulled at my hair.

The other one was lots of folks telling me that I needed to cut my hair as I was turning 40. That was almost 20 yrs ago.

Bianca
August 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hmm, in 6th grade I think. I had just started to dye my hair, and had gone for a orange/copper color. The boys started teasing me calling my hair "swamp hair" I dont really know why. I have never seen a orange swamp, at least not around here :D Boys will be boys...

Lisabunny
August 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I've had many but the latest was "Your so grey! Dye it" My answer was "What? and have a damaged mess? No way" This was at my craft group.

jellycatty
August 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
"You should cut it all short or grow it all out. Both just looks weird"

LOL people have been telling me that for years.
:')

Asprettyasme
August 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Tisiloves
August 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM

1. Im was (am) a girl with a shaved head (not anymore though..), get used to it and if you cant, just go away and dont say anything mean about it please.

Okay, its not their fault that people mistook me for a boy but hey, i got curves and my figure isnt boy-ish at all.

I was once mistaken for a boy with waist-length hair, people aren't very smart.

ETA: Not that boys can't/don't have long hair, just that it's not necessarily the haircut that makes stupid people confused.

KwaveT
August 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM

I get that one from my entire family except they want to say it is only for girls. I get so sick of it. I guess we have a society that thinks men don't have anything to carry. I fill that pocketbook slam full.

Tisiloves
August 27th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I get that one from my entire family except they want to say it is only for girls. I get so sick of it. I guess we have a society that thinks men don't have anything to carry. I fill that pocketbook slam full.

I still don't know how men can be expected to do anything else if they have more than 2 things to carry, or skinny jeans.

Kayleigh
August 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I've had another one last week, it had been quite a while so I guess it was overdue :P
My friend told me 'You really do have thin hair, don't you?' Hello, stating the obvious! I said that my hair was not naturally thin, but that bleach, dye and iron deficiency thinned it out. But the weird thing is that her hair is twice as thin as mine, I wonder if she doesn't notice or that her comment was just out of insecurity.
She was also complaining about her own hair though, stating that she hadn't had a haircut in two months and that her hair looked awful. Then I told her I hadn't cut my hair in 9 months! And she looked at me in disgust, while if I hadn't said anything she wouldn't even have noticed.

frogs
August 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Thats is so rude, and i understand it annoys you, especially comming from your family. I dont get how a haircut can be "for girls" or "for boys". (same thing with colours and clothes and everything else.) Aren´t we all humans?

sparrowswing
August 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I've had a lot of people over the years tell me my hair is very pretty - complimenting the color, length, strightness, etc. - and then immediately turn around and tell me how I need to cut it into layers, dye it, perm it, and tease it daily for it to look good. Didn't you just tell me it already looks good? How would destroying it be an improvement?

But if we're talking about the comments that have hurt to worst, those were from my childhood. I always wanted Rapunzel hair, at least knee-length but dragging on the floor would have been acceptable. My mom never let it get past WL, but that was fine because I didn't really know how to take care of it yet.

I was living in a very small, extremely conservative, very religious town. A lot of the other kids would constantly call me a witch or say that I was evil because my hair was long, straight, and dark. For some reason they thought light hair was angelic and dark hair was demonic, so anything darker than medium brown was considered a mark of the devil. I actually had a kindergartner tell me once that the color/length of my hair meant that I was "in bed with the devil"!

Of course, once I was older and learned that there were other religions (seriously, I didn't even know about Catholicism until junior high), it no longer bothered me. And when several of my friends were Wiccan, I kind of liked the whole witch connotation, even though I've never considered myself anything of the sort.

But it still bothers me that I spent a whole decade of my life thinking I was going to burn for eternity in Hell because of my hair.

kallarina
August 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I think my worst one comes from my mother. She's not catty, she's very supportive of me, she's a wonderful person, but something about working in a salon ruined her perspective of hair, I think.
I finally decided after eleven years of dyeing my hair (she started coloring my hair when I was nine) that I wanted to start growing out my virgin hair. It took a long, long time to make this decision, for the simple fact that my mom has told me my entire like that my natural hair is just ugly. It was an ash blonde, now it's more of a brown, with some blonde-ish strands thrown in. To die for? No. But to go so far as to say its ugly? She's done it my entire life. I have a bit of a complex about it now, I think. The specific comment that hurt me the most though, was when I told her I wanted to go virgin, and she said, "Really? Why? I mean, they invented hair dye for people like you, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?"
Thanks, Ma. 'ppreciate it.

lapushka
August 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM
My friend told me 'You really do have thin hair, don't you?' Hello, stating the obvious! I said that my hair was not naturally thin, but that bleach, dye and iron deficiency thinned it out. But the weird thing is that her hair is twice as thin as mine, I wonder if she doesn't notice or that her comment was just out of insecurity.
She was also complaining about her own hair though, stating that she hadn't had a haircut in two months and that her hair looked awful. Then I told her I hadn't cut my hair in 9 months! And she looked at me in disgust, while if I hadn't said anything she wouldn't even have noticed.

Bleh, just let her talk, the least she knows the better. And from the looks of your avatar, your hair isn't thin, but if it were... so what?

sharonluvscats
August 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
My favorite one is "you're hair look so long and pretty you should cut it all off and donate it!" Ummm...really I should remove one of my best features. Should I also cover up my nice blue eyes with bland colored contacts? I mean seriously people.

Kayleigh
August 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Bleh, just let her talk, the least she knows the better. And from the looks of your avatar, your hair isn't thin, but if it were... so what?

My hair is quite thin, but I've learned to live with it. And when people say nasty things I always try to remind myself it says more about them than about me. And I don't think she intends to be mean, but I sometimes get so irritated because this 'friend' gets offended by nearly everything I say and she then makes me feel like an awful person for speaking my mind, yet she does exactly the same or worse and I can't say anything about it or she gets upset! I love her, but I just hate the effect she has on me, she makes me so angry sometimes. I think I was more upset that she made the comment than actually about the comment itself.

HylianGirl
August 27th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I've had a lot of people over the years tell me my hair is very pretty - complimenting the color, length, strightness, etc. - and then immediately turn around and tell me how I need to cut it into layers, dye it, perm it, and tease it daily for it to look good. Didn't you just tell me it already looks good? How would destroying it be an improvement?

But if we're talking about the comments that have hurt to worst, those were from my childhood. I always wanted Rapunzel hair, at least knee-length but dragging on the floor would have been acceptable. My mom never let it get past WL, but that was fine because I didn't really know how to take care of it yet.

I was living in a very small, extremely conservative, very religious town. A lot of the other kids would constantly call me a witch or say that I was evil because my hair was long, straight, and dark. For some reason they thought light hair was angelic and dark hair was demonic, so anything darker than medium brown was considered a mark of the devil. I actually had a kindergartner tell me once that the color/length of my hair meant that I was "in bed with the devil"!

Of course, once I was older and learned that there were other religions (seriously, I didn't even know about Catholicism until junior high), it no longer bothered me. And when several of my friends were Wiccan, I kind of liked the whole witch connotation, even though I've never considered myself anything of the sort.

But it still bothers me that I spent a whole decade of my life thinking I was going to burn for eternity in Hell because of my hair.

That's awful! I can't believe a kindegarden would say that, makes me wonder and worry about their criation... I'm glad you got to see it in a diferent way than theirs, long dark hair is beautiful! And your hair on your siggy looks gorgeous ^-^

hermosamendoza
August 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I was between 1st and 2nd grade and I got confused for a boy by a lady at burger king. She said a crown fro the princess and gave it to my sister and said a crown for the prince and my mom goes "uh, she's a princess too."
that comment stung for years!!!

stew
September 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
i used to get mistaken for a boy all the time when i was a kid. there was a new girl (now a good friend of mine) in my class in the second grade. she had to use the bathroom, so the teacher told me to take her as she was new and didn't know where it was. she has since told me about how confused she was that a boy was taking her to the girl's restroom.. :lol:

i chopped my hair very short again when i was about 18 and used to get "gay" comments all the time. i also had friends of mine telling me how much better i looked with long hair, asking me why i cut it, telling me how all the boys didn't find me attractive anymore, etc.

considering my cut was a necessary result of hair loss.. these comments really stung. they're one of the reasons i am now so obsessed with having long hair again.

jen5972
September 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
When I was young, my hair was super short (not by choice). A few times, I remember having someone call me "young man". They weren't intentionally being cruel, but it hurt like crazy!

Jorja
September 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM
My son once said I looked like Hagrid. This was long before I came here, I would blow dry my wavy hair straight and any moisture in the air would make it would frizz up. And I dyed it dark brown every 4 weeks. He was young enough to forgive (lucky for him!)

My mum would often say I looked like a witch (thanks mum!)

beautifulending
September 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
When my hair was middle back lenght a girl at the movies said that my hair brings out my back fat.....I hate people making others feel ashamed of their bodies.:mad:

beautifulending
September 11th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Double post sorry.

ApatheticFairy
September 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
My boyfriend met me when I had BSL aqua-colored blue hair. After we got together, it faded to a pretty gross mucus green, so at his insistence, I dyed it dark red, which I hated because I am predominantly cool-toned. I bleached it out to a medium blonde and I'm now growing out the color and am naturally a very dark blonde, bordering on ashy brown, really trying for classic virgin hair (I've got about 3 inches of roots! YAY!)

Bf: "You are such a sexy redhead."
Me: "...I'm not a redhead..."
Bf: "Yeah, but when you were, it was really hot."
Me: "So you're saying you hate my natural hair?"
Bf: "I'm not really into the blonde thing."

Shot to the ego. The way I really am isn't sexy or whatever? Grr.

So now I'm considering putting henna on my damaged hair to red it up at least a little for him, even though every red I've ever tried I've hated on me.

Oh, and at work "Your hair is always up in those prong thingies... it looks so weird. Can't you just use an elastic like everyone else? Why do you have to be so different?"

I explain about using hair forks and not wanting to damage my hair since I'm growing it out. They then espouse how awesome their hairdresser is because for hair to grow, it ***needs*** to be cut regularly (these people have collarbone to APL hair at the longest) and tell me I need to get it cut by a pro because then I'd love wearing it down.

...no, I won't. At that point, I just take a mini-vacation in my head and make encouraging sounds while getting back to my job.

melusine963
September 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I know it's a little mean, but this comment made me splutter all over my laptop screen with laughter. The 'I don't give a damn' look really does take a lot of effort.

maborosi
September 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM

:rollin:

~maborosi~

Alex Lou
September 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
So now I'm considering putting henna on my damaged hair to red it up at least a little for him, even though every red I've ever tried I've hated on me.

:( To your story.

Please only use temporary dyes to please a man. Henna is permanent, the guy may not be.

battles
September 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM
My boyfriend met me when I had BSL aqua-colored blue hair. After we got together, it faded to a pretty gross mucus green, so at his insistence, I dyed it dark red, which I hated because I am predominantly cool-toned. I bleached it out to a medium blonde and I'm now growing out the color and am naturally a very dark blonde, bordering on ashy brown, really trying for classic virgin hair (I've got about 3 inches of roots! YAY!)

Oh, and at work "Your hair is always up in those prong thingies... it looks so weird. Can't you just use an elastic like everyone else? Why do you have to be so different?"

I explain about using hair forks and not wanting to damage my hair since I'm growing it out. They then espouse how awesome their hairdresser is because for hair to grow, it ***needs*** to be cut regularly (these people have collarbone to APL hair at the longest) and tell me I need to get it cut by a pro because then I'd love wearing it down.

...no, I won't. At that point, I just take a mini-vacation in my head and make encouraging sounds while getting back to my job.

Oh, no no no! Please don't do anything permanent to your hair for someone else. :( Anything you do to your body should be to make you happy. And anyone that truly loves you will love you as you are, they won't try to change how you look to make them happier.

jessicac1
September 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Owhh some people can be mean! everyones hair here is lovely from.what ive seen!
ApatheticFairy don't ever let a man influence your look! He should love/like you for who you are, and as long as you are happy thats the most important thing! My bf prefers long brunette hair but if i wanted it shorter and another colour as long as I was happy hed be happy.

Thankfully my bf doesnt think my hair care is wierd.
My family think its odd tho lol. 'CO washing?? eww' and 'your hair is so flat and straggly and nothingy why do you bother treating it like a temple' that did hurt me quite a bit i'll be honest.

Mopolop
September 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM

:( I don't think you should if you don't like how it looks on you. You're the one who has to live with it, not him.

HylianGirl
September 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Wow, how dare he say these things to you? If it were me I'd get angry at him ò.ó Look, don't change (especially into something you don't like) to please others, especially when they talk like that to you. A guy should accept who you are and not try to change you. Especially if he knows you don't want it.

Mopolop
September 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I haven't had any really mean comments. My gran recently said "darling I WISH you would get your hair cut, it looked so much better shorter", and my mum regularly nags me too.

My favourite backhanded hair compliment was from my bf/ ex bf (it's complicated):

Him: "I like your hair."
Me: "Really?"
Him: "Yeah! I mean it's not GREAT...you couldn't do a shampoo advert or anything, but it's alright...well it's more than alright, but it's kind of frizzy...but it's still nice!"

He means well... :lol:

Hollyfire3
September 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Today, a sort of friend (I know him, but not too well) actually said to me, your hair is super dry. And then another of his friends was like "your hair is so poofy, why is it so poofy?" Now, these all may be true, but the fact is, I'm a wurly, I damp bunned last night because I didn't have time to apply product and scrunch like usual, so it was frizzy this morning, frizzy and damp, so I had to fluff it and went out the door with damp hair, and well, come around 1 it was finally dry, but it was frizzy and dry looking on the ends because I'm growing out heat damage so without leave in, yeah my ends look frizzy. I even tried explaining, I'm a wurly haired person, and I tried to brush my hair this morning, so it poofed. Nope, they proceeded to then poke and prode the mess on my head....really guys?

Hollyfire3
September 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, how dare he say these things to you? If it were me I'd get angry at him ò.ó Look, don't change (especially into something you don't like) to please others, especially when they talk like that to you. A guy should accept who you are and not try to change you. Especially if he knows you don't want it.

this. I really don't like the fact that he thinks he can dicatate your hair color and such, but that's just my opinion.