PDA

View Full Version : Heated Scissors?

Hana212
December 8th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I have been researching 'long hair friendly' hairdressers in my area, and I found one that uses ammonia free hair dye and heated scissors so that no split ends come from trimming/cutting.

Has anyone heard of this or had this done before?? :confused:

(on a side note, how do I tell if my S&D scissors are blunt? and if heating them does work, how would I go about it?)

Dragon
December 8th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I have never herd of that.

Gabriel
December 8th, 2010, 03:52 AM
You should be able to tell if the frequency of splits in areas you S&D has increased and other factors for damage are not causing the damage. The scissors should cut without having to force them or multiple tries on the same strand.

Personally I wouldn't use heated metal to cut my own hair. Human hair is not the same as synthetic hair and cannot be "sealed" in the same manner. I remember someone starting a thread about this a little while ago...

Be sure to read the end of her update thread, if nothing else. She concluded that it did cause more white dots (frayed splits) for her.

here:

Hot Scissors (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24340&highlight=heated+scissors)
"Hot Scissors" Update (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38317&highlight=heated+scissors)

Hana212
December 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Thanks for those links Gabriel.. having a look now. I'm so terrible at searching the threads. :( I knew this must have come up before but when I looked I couldn't find anything specific.

fashionaddict
December 8th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Could this be Thera-Cut that you are talking about?
Hairdressers use scissors that are plugged in like you would a lamp or anything else for that matter. However these scissors are especially designed to be used for such a purpose. I have had it done a few times. Not because I believe it to work better than other methods of hair cutting/trimming but because then they do not go all scissor happy on my hair and if I tell them 1 cm or half a cm then they actually listen. :)

aenflex
December 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
This thread has been done before and if I remember correctly, there was some debate on whether heat would actually be good for the ends of hair.
I personally don't think it could be good, I don't think the heat could make that much of a difference in the precision and efficacy of the trim, as long as the shears are good and sharp.
But that's just my non-expert opinion :)