PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my own hair

aquadreamer
December 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hi ladies. I'm looking for a pair of hair shears that can enable me to cut my own hair. I have really healthy waist long hair and my stylist at the salon always feels the need to tell me that waist length hair is not "modern" no matter how pretty it might be. Also, the cost of cutting is really high, and since I'm only trimming every 6 weeks anyway...
so what's a good pair of hair shears? Do they need to be very sharp? Does cutting hair with blunt shears damage hair? If they the shears need to be kept sharp, how do I keep it sharp?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm just so new to this whole cutting your own hair thing. :) I tried to do a board search, but couldn't find a lot.
Thank you so much, ladies :)

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
$10 conair/ cheap HAIRCUTTING (that is the key) scissors will be perfect... the key is their sharpness... haircutting (specifically) scissors' blades come VERY close together... scissors meant for other purposes (sewing/household/kitchen) have a microscopic gap that will bend and tear your hair instead of slicing the cuticle evenly perpendicularly. I'm a cosmetologist, and when we're first learning they tell us to start with the $10 dollar pair. They are just as sharp and will do just as good a job, but are meant for much LESS usage (aka perfect for you). The professional brands are meant to cut 10 heads of hair a day for months, and can thus get sharpened and put up with more "use" (a lot of this has to actually do with the joint between the blades, and not the blades themselves)

hope this helps!!!

xxooo

aquadreamer
December 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Thank you so much! :) I actually bought a pair of $20 Tweezerman's Shears before. I let my mother cut my hair twice, and always imagined that I got more split ends (which I rarely do) as a result of cutting my hair at home, so I went back to the salon.
So I can continue using that with no damage to my hair?
I know this is a lot of questions, but does the way you cut your hair matter? Is it okay as long as you cut it off in the perfect shape, or do you have to only cut off a few strands at a time to prevent damaging it? My hairstylist always take 2 hours cutting my hair because she cuts only a small strand at a time, but my mother cut it off with three snaps :)
Thank you very much!

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Just as long as those shears are ONLY being used on hair. Unnatural substances (string, paper, etc. DRASTICALLY wear on the shears sharpness and create tears in the metal, which in turn shreds your hair (at a level we cannot see).
I also have my mom cut my hair, be the key is that:
#1 your hair is WET, as wet as possible, because it puts less stress on the cuticle and helps it stay sealed
#2 she (or you) cuts it at a VERY perpendicular angle. The most haphazard the cut (aka 3 chunks, instead of a time-consuming process) the less likely your getting a straight slice. When hairs are cut at an angle, it gives the ends a head-start to unravel, much like ripping a hair or getting a razor-cut. That's why your stylists even & precise cuts yielded less damage over time: the ends of your hair were more like... a brand new pink eraser at the top of a pencil (i hope that visual makes sense!!), instead of being slanted ends with much wider space (and propensity) to unravel...

soo glad to help!!!

musicallberrii
December 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I second the comment about making sure the scissors are only used on hair. My mom bought a pair of hair cutting scissors at Sally Beauty Supply before (they were silver with a gold handle--I can't remember the brand name..) and passed them down to me. They are 10 years now and they're in perfect condition and sharp as they ever were. I would really check out a beauty supply store, their scissors can be expensive but they last foreverrr

Locksmith
December 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I got my hair scissors at a Sally's for about £15 or so, and they've served me well thus far. Another vote for never using them on anything but hair. (I have a similar rule about my sewing scissors never being used for anything but fabric and throw a fit if I see anyone trying to steal them for nefarious purposes! It really does make a difference. My family now thinks I have some kind of weird scissor-obsession. :p)

Eolan
December 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I normally cut my hair dry. Cutting vet hair seems to difficult for me, since there is shrinkage afterwards. Is it true that cutting it wet causes less damage? I think alot of the self trimmers on LHC cuts their hair dry.

Fairlight63
December 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I also cut my hair dry because when my hair is wet it is usually just washed & all tangled, I don't comb my hair until it is dry. My hair is too delicate to comb when wet to detangle it, I would break off strands.

lapushka
December 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Mine's cut when it's dry.

If you have really thick hair and your mom is going to keep cutting your hair off in a few goes instead of bit by bit, then I'd buy more professional scissors if I were you. Just the entry level kind, though - not too expensive.

Amraann
December 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hi ladies. I'm looking for a pair of hair shears that can enable me to cut my own hair. I have really healthy waist long hair and my stylist at the salon always feels the need to tell me that waist length hair is not "modern" no matter how pretty it might be. Also, the cost of cutting is really high, and since I'm only trimming every 6 weeks anyway...
so what's a good pair of hair shears? Do they need to be very sharp? Does cutting hair with blunt shears damage hair? If they the shears need to be kept sharp, how do I keep it sharp?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm just so new to this whole cutting your own hair thing. :) I tried to do a board search, but couldn't find a lot.
Thank you so much, ladies :)

First off.. Whatever you decide please stop going to a stylist who feels the need to critique how you choose to wear your hair. (unless you ask)
Not to mention that long hair is actually "in style" now (not that that matters)
I just find her comments to be non-supportive and it is not like she is giving you advice on maintaining it.

As suggested make sure the scissors you buy are for hair cutting and never use on anything but hair.
You will probably not have to worry about having them sharpened. If you buy expensive hair cutting shears there are companies that you can send them to in order to have them sharpened.
Some beauty supply stores offer that as well. Or at least can suggest a company for you.

My hair is not very thick on the ends very fairytailish so one or two snips is all I need.
If your hair is thicker that may be why your stylist does it slowly.

jenwexler
December 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Get hair scissors form CVS/Harmons and cut it dry. That's what I used to do.