PDA

View Full Version : Kinky at ends?

Alex Lou
December 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
So I was really bored in class today, but I had some scissors and started snipping split ends. Then I spotted a curly (think snake-like, back and forth) hair. I have these interspersed here and there and I don't like them, so I typically pull them out when I find them. I've only noticed them in the last year or so. When I pulled it out, I saw that for the fist 4 or 5 inches it was only wavy, then really kinky at the end. I found a few more, and they were all fairly straight toward the roots and abnormally darker than the rest of my hair. It doesn't look like typical damage: these hairs are very coarse and strong, and show no signs of splitting.

A little background: my hair was straight until puberty. It's been wavy for 15 years, with more curly spots on the sides of my temples. My brother's hair went from straight to kinky all over at puberty. In the past year or so I've noticed dark, coarse, kinky hairs around my hairline. I've also been really, really stressed this past year. I've never been pregnant and I'm not now. No changes in contraceptive use in 7 years.

So my question is:
Why would my hair be curlier at the bottom? Is it damage? Is it stress? What is it?