PDA

View Full Version : looking for supplement info/suggestions

nytquill
December 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have done some reading myself but I thought I would ask the experts too ;)

I'm looking to expand my supplement routine. I eat reasonably healthy but not great, but mainly I am having some good results from supplements I'm currently taking (that I learned about on here) and am curious about a few others but just totally overwhelmed by all the choices.

Current regime:
B-100 complex (100mg of b1, b2, b3, b6, pantothenic acid, choline and inositol, 100mcg of b12 and biotin, .4 mg folate) once daily.

Additional biotin 250mg 3x daily.

Vitamin D3 25 mcg 3x daily.

MSM 1,000 mg 3x daily.

I'm taking these not just for my hair but I have also noticed a decrease in insulin resistance (attributed to the biotin) and more level moods (MSM?). I'm thinking when I run out of the B-100 complex that I will buy B-50 for next time since I probably don't need quite so much.

My interest is piqued regarding EPO, fish oil/omega 3, and silica. Looking for benefits for hair and nails (my nails are kind of soft) primarily. But it's just so confusing finding out what works and what doesn't and what's the best format or dosage or whatever. And then I think too, what about the ones I'm not thinking of or haven't heard of yet?

So I'd like your opinions please :)

feralnature
December 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
This is what I take:

Multivitamin plus minerals
Vitamin A,
B complex
Vit. C
Vit. D
Vit. E
Biotin
Cod Liver Oil
MSM

Not sure of the doses off the top of my head, I will try to come back and post that later.

ddiana1979
December 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I take GNC's Ultra Nourish-Hair (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4273803) in addition to a multivitamin (usually Centrum Performance). GNC also offers a similar product called GNC Women's Hair, Skin, & Nails Formula. I haven't been on the Ultra Nourish-Hair for long, but so far, I've noticed less shedding.

The Omega-3 supplement I take is rather expensive, OmegaBrite (http://www.omegabrite.com/), but I'm using it to elevate mood (I have major depressive disorder), so I feel the extra expense is worth it, since the brand was explicitly recommended to me by my doctor.

~BoHemiAngel~
December 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
My interest is piqued regarding EPO, fish oil/omega 3, and silica. Looking for benefits for hair and nails (my nails are kind of soft) primarily. But it's just so confusing finding out what works and what doesn't and what's the best format or dosage or whatever. And then I think too, what about the ones I'm not thinking of or haven't heard of yet?

So I'd like your opinions please :)

Hi Nytquill,

Healthy fats are great for hair and nails! Evening primrose oil or borage oil (both high in gamma linoleic acids) are great, but it's important to balance the amount of Omega-6 oils (like those found in EPO) with high doses of Omega-3's, found in fish oils (and to a lesser extent, flax). Omega-3's are exceptionally important for anyone dealing with insulin resistance.

In general, the therapeutic dosing for EPO, borage oil, or black currant oil is about 1500 mg's per day. You want to look for one that has the highest amount of GLA in it, as different products have different amounts of GLA. Borage oil is the highest, I think, but also the most expensive.

As far as therapeutic dosing of Omega-3's, you should look for a product that has at LEAST 1,000 mg of EPA in it, as well as 750 mg DHA. I take a liquid fish oil by a company called Seroyal that's really good. (I know, liquid fish oil = yuck, but the potency is WAY higher than you'll find in capsules.) It's also important to get a good quality fish oil that is free of heavy metals and other contaminants.

Sorry I don't have a referance for the above-mentioned numbers; they were just taken from a class lecture since I am studying nutrition in school.

Silica's great too- you can get high amounts in Horsetail (herb), green beans, and beer! ;) I like making daily infusions of horsetail tea, because it's so full of minerals.

Since you said your nails are soft, I would highly recommend an herbal mineral infusion (such as the Horsetail as I said above, or maybe combined with Nettles, alfalfa, red raspberry, etc...) and making sure you are getting sufficient protein in your diet.

Hope some of that was helpful! :heart:

nytquill
December 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the recommendations and info! :)

christine1989
December 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I can't stand fish in any form so I take a liquid flax seed suppliment with borage oil instead. It dosen't do too much for growth but it definatly reduces hair shedding and combats dryness. I noticed since taking it I get less frizz. As for nails a product called "Nailtiques" is the BEST! My nails grow fast but they are very soft and bend so eaisly. Nailtiques is a clear polish you paint on your nails that makes them really hard and resistent to breakage. I have tried everything for nail health/strength and it is the only product I would actually reccomend highly.

redwoman
December 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I won't prescribe dosages, but puritans pride.com has a buy one get two free sale (think its going on now) where I get my basic multivitamins. Decent shipping cost too. They even sell different oils you can use in your hair under carrier oils. Look them up and save a LOT of money.

CarpeDM
December 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I take EPO, an omega blend, biotin, biosil, MSM, calcium/magnesium, a high quality b complex and a multivitamin every day. I don't think that the EPO or omegas have done anything for my hair or nails which is fine with me because I don't take them for that reason. The Biosil on the other hand has created new hair growth (I can see new hairs sprouting up) and helped with my nails which break easily. I only started taking biotin and MSM this past July and for the first three months my hair and nails grew really fast (I had over two inches of hair growth in three months which is more than average for me), but then the growth stalled and not much has been happening lately. If you are interested in silica you could try out Biosil. The calcium and magnesium also helps my nails, but I don't know if it really does anything for my hair.

einna
December 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I take multivitamines that include omega 3.

I took brewers yeast for a while, and noticed my nails growing faster and stronger, and I think my hair got a little better to, but it tastes horrible.. Worth a google search though :)