PDA

View Full Version : going to florida in a couple of weeks need help.

goldilocks
June 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I am going to FLorida in a couple of weeks I need so help and ideas on how to handle wurly/curly hair in humidity and at an amusement park. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CurlyNinja
June 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Honestly, it's already so hot here and it'll be sweltering when you're walking around...you'll probably just want to wear it up and get it off your neck.

That said, I try to go for gel and plenty of moisture in the hair to keep the frizz at bay, especially in the humidity.

goldilocks
June 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks, those are great tips I think I need to carry a hair-stick or ficcare or something so I can do an updo during the day. I think you are right that updo's will be what I am going to want to do.

Curlsgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hey! Fancy meeting you here! :D I went to Florida a couple of weeks ago and Disney World for a day. Also I rode with my DH on a motorcycle most everywhere. I desperately tried to protect my hair as much as possible but I am afraid I didn't do too well! At the beach, I could not wet my hair before going in the water OR rinse when I got out. I was with other people that made it impossible to do so. So I wore a hat except when in the water. I sprayed a mixture of water/leave-in conditioner in before I went out there and also on and off during my whole trip. Mostly I kept my hair braided in a simple English braid. At Disney world I wore a hat too with a braid. I CO'd twice during my trip with Suave, oiled and then braided again. If you can it would be best to wet your hair thoroughly with plain water before going swimming and rinse thoroughly just after. Best results would be from a swim cap but I just cannot bring myself to wear one. I look too goofy LOL. I found even with braiding my hair tangled so I would gently finger comb now and then to try to keep it from being too bad. I don't think I would want to live there but I didn't seem to get any damage from just that much of it! Have fun on your trip!!!

chelles2kids
June 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I would suggest a wet updo and even some oiling on top of that wouldn't hurt.
It's not gonna be the purtiest 'do, but you'll be cool and it won't be sticking to you everywhere.

Humidity in Florida is torture.:(

Now, having said that, I hope you have a great trip and try not to stress over your hair too much.
Enjoy yourself!;)

Michelle

Cereus
June 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Florida in the summer is hard on your hair. Two years ago I attended training in Orlando for the summer. In preparation I had my hair cut in a pixie! It still turned into a huge frizz ball. I tried using Frizz-ease. It just got worse! A fellow student had long curly hair and she just put it up. How I envied her. I haven't cut my hair since (well other than two micro trims)!

morningstar
June 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Goldilocks...I too am going to Florida in a couple of weeks. Orlando. :) We should PM each other and maybe we could have a quick meet. LOL
I am planning to wear my hair up and my DDs will also wear it up and braided. I was thinking about a hat or a visor for the sun.
I will be watching this thread for more ideas. It has been years since I have been to Florida and I have forgotten how humid it gets.

DaveDecker
June 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Updo.

The only time you'll even want to think about letting your hair down is when you're inside in the A/C, and after you've had a long while to cool down. Or maybe not even then.

PseudoScot
June 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Use a Buff or a Scarf over your updo - protects your head from sun plus you can wet those and put them on your head which will really cool you down! I'm not a curly or anything so can't really speak about frizzies but keeping it covered should help!

Florida Mom
June 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hi.

I live just north of Orlando.

It is really hot here already. I wear my hair up everyday, completely off the neck. For walking around the parks, I wet bun my hair. And use lots of leave in conditioner too.

Hats just make my head sweat.

Have a great trip!

Curlsgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Use a Buff or a Scarf over your updo - protects your head from sun plus you can wet those and put them on your head which will really cool you down! I'm not a curly or anything so can't really speak about frizzies but keeping it covered should help!

Oh I forgot about that! One day I wore a bandana and my hair was MUCH better when I let it down that night! It did help the frizzies VERY much!

Future CCC-SLP
June 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I live in Orlando and it was mid 90's today. I wouldn't even consider wearing your hair down as the second you walk outside you start sweating :steam
I do recommend updos that are off your neck and damp or wet if you can stand it. The cooler your head the better. Since I am outside for parts of the day, I usually wet my hair in the morning and it keeps me cool!

On a non-hair related note, if you aren't out in the sun often don't forget lots of sunscreen! Maybe hats will help with hair and sun exposure! The UV index has been 10 pretty much since January.

Oh and have fun on your trip! Orlando is a great city!:cheese:

yldchyld
June 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I am going to FLorida in a couple of weeks I need so help and ideas on how to handle wurly/curly hair in humidity and at an amusement park. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I live in Longwood, which is on the other side of Orlando from the Parks.
Wear your hair up or you will die a sweltering death. ;) Maybe braid it wet to keep cool.

I don't even go outside to work in my garden between noon and four.

goldilocks
June 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
So basically it sounds like I really want to keep my hair up and more than likely damp. This is great I knew I could count on all of the great people for help here at LHC. You are all wonderfull. Thanks for all of your help.

physicschick
June 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
If you're me, you won't want to dampen your hair because humidity-induced frizz will already make it impossible to detangle. :lol: Definitely braid or bun, whichever keeps the frizz and tangles down more for you. Also, bring something to aid in detangling--oils, kimberlily's defrizz spray, heavy duty silicone detangler spray, something.

If you plan to go on amusement park rides, you'll want to choose your hairtoy accordingly. A Ficcare might be good; hairsticks are probably bad.

1MegMeg
June 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Good morning! Welcome to our wonderful city. :) I live in Orlando too and I will echo what everyone else said - you will definitely want your hair completely up and damp when you put it up, if that works for you. It is very hot and very humid already.

Future CCC-SLP already mentioned sunscreen, but it bears repeating. The UV index is 10 every day here. Plan on using lots of high SPF photostable sunscreen.

lora410
June 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Yup, it is hot a sticky here and i wear mine up or else it feels platered to my head. I live in tampa and it is quite humid. I am used to it ,but when I first moved here the air felt so thick and heavy that it was hard to breath.

ladystar
June 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I live In Miami, Fl and It is Hot Hot Hot! :mad: Here I say the same keep your hair up with some oil in it. That’s what I do, when I go to the beach I try to cover my hair with a hat or a bandana. Have a Blast ! Orlando Is fun. I am looking into moving there Hopefully sometime this year. :cheese:

jastark84
June 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I live in Tampa and I don't even think of wearing my hair down during the summer. I always wear it in a bun or braid anyways, but, keep it moisturized, and up is what I say. If you will be in in the water at all bring some oil to put on it to prevent it from getting nasty if it's salt water.

missy60
June 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Another trick I have heard mentioned is soda water. Buy a few bottles of it when going to the beach or pool, when rinsing is not possible. The carbonation is suppose to stop all action of chlorine or salt water. You being a blonde I know this would be a concern for you. What about just leaving your conditioner in on your length after showering and doing a bun or something talk about deep treatment.

Ursula
June 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
If you'll be swimming in salt water, bring a chelating shampoo with you, or have a chelating treatment ready to go once you're home again. That should remove any salt buildup.

I can't think of anyone here who has had serious problems just from swimming in the ocean. The salt-related damage has come from things like salt-water spray used to mimic the effect of the ocean, when they liked the way their hair was on vacation.

For an amusement park, two braids might be the best option. You probably don't want to risk any expensive hair toys getting lost or damaged. Two braids would let you pull them forward and out of the way, in a way that a bun or one braid can't be brought forward, so it doesn't interfere with the head rest on rides. (Two braids is very comfortable for flying, as well, for that reason.) Probably braid snugly, so that it stays together better. (See the article "Ursula's Braid 911" for tips on snug braiding. I can't remember if I've posted it to the new articles section yet, but it is definitely in the archive.) Two braids also effectively keeps your hair off of your neck.

It may also help to bring along or buy the ingredients to make SMT, or other moisture treatment. Well moisturized hair tends to handle humidity much better than dryer hair. Maybe do a couple moisture treatments before you leave, and bring along a good moisture conditioner for while you are there.

I find a white or light colored scarf over my head keeps things much cooler in the summer, but then, my hair is quite dark and gets hot in the sun. Since your hair is lighter, it may not be an issue.

morningstar
June 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Thank you goldilocks for starting this thread and the PM you sent me. I will answer you tonight. There are a few LHC members from this area....hmmmm?
As I mentioned I am so glad to see this thread since I live in Michigan and haven't been to Florida in years. My twins have waist length hair and I plan on damp French braids for them.
I will make sure to take everything to keep our hair protected.
I am thinking of getting a buff.

goldilocks
June 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you for all of the sugestions. Missy60, that is a great idea about the soda water for rinsing I would have never thougth of that. And Ursula, the chelating shampoo tip is perfect. I forgot about that and needing to se it after chlorine and salt water. I will definately have to get some of that for when I get back.

Pikkukala
June 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I can't help with the humidity but as for long hair and amusement parks (from the one who works at one)...

I'd advise wearing braids - either one or two, whichever you prefer. Take sure that any hair ties/clips/bands are secure and are not likely to fall out (and remember to take spares). I'd suggest avoiding most hair toys/sticks/etc. Hats and hair scarfs are likely to be either not allowed or advised against on some rides.

I have very rarely seen a updo which will survive being tossed around on the rides in potentally all weathers. Many updos can also get in the way of comfort on the rides - you will want to be able to rest your head on the head rest if one is provided. If you want to go for an updo the try updos where the hair is gathered to the top or sides of the head rather than the back.

Loose hair, ponytails or any other style which leaves hair to fly around I would say are a certain no. Getting hair stuck in restraints is not fun - and not easy to avoid when strapped into rides. The ride operators and assistants are often not very aware or kind to long hair (I have long hair myself and I don't want to count the amount of times I've accidently pulled/caught customers' hair whilst working - and I also know co-workers who think that pulling loose long hair is great fun).

Generally just use your common sense and listen to what you are being told. Keep your hair close to you and be aware of where any locks or catches are (where operators will often be checking/securing). Also, when you're asked to keep hands out of the way take sure your hair is out of the way too.

... that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably think of more later.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much from a newbie on here :), and that it is somewhat helpful to someone.

goldilocks
June 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks Pikkukata, that is great advice. To keep your hair secured while at parks and such. I never would have thought that attendants would pull loose hair just for kicks. (horror):run:some people!!

Pikkukala
June 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Pikkukata, that is great advice. To keep your hair secured while at parks and such. I never would have thought that attendants would pull loose hair just for kicks. (horror):run:some people!!

I sometimes have problems keeping my hair out of the way if I'm down there on my day off and I should really know what I'm doing. I've had a co-worker go out of his way to try and grab my hair (without success) and I've had a co-worker pull my hair "accidently" when I haven't been paying attention (but others have had time to yell "hair!" at me to give me seconds to pull my hair out of the way - so I really doubt the accident claim).

Most of the times when I've caught people's hair it's when I'm checking restraints and their hair is loose and drapping over the bar/belt - if people aren't listening when I warn them that I need them to move their hair so I can check their restraint I still have check it (normally by pushing or pulling on it - depending on the ride) although I try to do my best not to pull the hair. I've also see the nasty tangles that people's hair can get into when it is loose on rides and seen the strands of hair sticking out of parts of seats/restraints where people have gotten caught.

goldilocks
June 4th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I sometimes have problems keeping my hair out of the way if I'm down there on my day off and I should really know what I'm doing. I've had a co-worker go out of his way to try and grab my hair (without success) and I've had a co-worker pull my hair "accidently" when I haven't been paying attention (but others have had time to yell "hair!" at me to give me seconds to pull my hair out of the way - so I really doubt the accident claim).

Most of the times when I've caught people's hair it's when I'm checking restraints and their hair is loose and drapping over the bar/belt - if people aren't listening when I warn them that I need them to move their hair so I can check their restraint I still have check it (normally by pushing or pulling on it - depending on the ride) although I try to do my best not to pull the hair. I've also see the nasty tangles that people's hair can get into when it is loose on rides and seen the strands of hair sticking out of parts of seats/restraints where people have gotten caught.

All I have to say abut that is OUCH!!!! sorry about spelling your name wrong. My screen is a bit wonky. the "L" looked like a "T" to me.

Isilme
June 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'm in no ways an expert since I live up in the north of europe. But I just wanted to say, keep your hair contained when riding rollercoasters...I can only think of getting my hair caught between the wheels of the train and the rails...*shudders*
Have a nice trip!

morningstar
June 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
This has been informative and I am going to wear braids! What exactly is chealating shampoo? I can't believe I don't know this...

goldilocks
June 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
A chelating shampoo is one that takes minerals out of your hair that have been deposited there by chlorine and other minerals that are in water. here is a link to a short definition of shmpoos. (warning there is a REALLY GROSS pic of some NASTY hair). HTH

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/10/clarifying-chelating-and-neutralizing-shampoos/

goldilocks
June 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Just a general question, do you always need to use a chelating shampoo after you have been at the beach or swimming in a pool? Or is it only when your hair needs it?

Gladtobemom
June 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have incredibly unruly hair in humidity. It gets BIG.

For Disneyworld and the like, I have two different plans, both work well.

I don't do any hairpins, hair sticks, or anything else hard.

Oil & Dorothy Braid plan.
Wash hair, cleaning scalp really well.
Spread hair out to dry for a while, until just damp.
Oil fairly well with coconut oil.
French braided pigtails (takes up lots of the length and bulk) while damp, anchor with hair safe elastic.
This is pretty much my plan for camping too.

Oil & English Braid plan
Oil the length pretty well, a bit more than normal.
Do a simple English braid (Check out Dianyla's directions).
Loop it up and anchor the tail under the braid at the nape with a Bunjii (You will probably only be able to do 3 loops, but it'll hold like iron all day).

I usually wear a Buff on one or both wrists.
I can put the buff over my hair at any time.
If I stop by a water cooler and wet the buff, wring it out, then put it over my hair, it's like instant air conditioning.

CurlyOne
June 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
We go to florida a lot to visit family and the humidity sucks!!!

All I can say is keep your hair up and use some aloe gel to keep the fuzzies down on the top of your head.

goldilocks
June 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks GladtobeMom and Curlyone. The buff is a great idea. I will be keeping my hair in a braid or up pretty much the whole time. Maybe it will be time to keep shea butter or conditioner in my hair for a defacto deep treatment. thanks for all the ideas.

missy60
June 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Just a general question, do you always need to use a chelating shampoo after you have been at the beach or swimming in a pool? Or is it only when your hair needs it?

I would think with you being a blonde you would know if you get any discoloration right off. I would use one then for sure but if your hair isnt acting funny or have a funny color I wouldnt do it.

goldilocks
June 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
That is probably true Missy60, I guess they would prbably be very drying. I would think that being blonde it would show up pretty quickly.

curly girl fla
June 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I live north of Orlando, and, as many have said, the heat and humidity are horrendous. I have curly hair that loves to frizz, and I've found the only thing that helps keep it under control when I wear it down is tons of moisture and a small amount of a hard-hold gel worked through with my fingers after any other leave-ins/stylers are applied to soaking wet hair. The old Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee is the best one for me, hands down. I would never use it as my main styling aid, but add it as a finish on just about everything and anything else I use during the summer months. Be safe, use tons of sunscreen, and have a fabulous trip! :-)