PDA

View Full Version : Too long for Heidi braids?!

nmarie33
December 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I discovered this morning that my hair is getting too long for Heidi braids. The ends of my braid tassels stick out past my ears, if that makes sense - I can't really wad them up and hide them under the braids. Is there some kind of variation I can do to fix this, or is one of my favorite styles now lost to me forever?

Madora
December 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is dutch crown braiding your hair (using the lace braid technique).

Raponsje
December 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I am having the same problem. A crown braid would be an option. I just never had the nerve to try it. It seems nearly impossible.

Juneii
December 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I wish my hair could do that, I can't get the ends of my braid to cross because they aren't long enough... Although that was a few months ago, I am going to try this again.

Did you do a dutch braid as well or is it just a regular pig tail braid?

SpinDance
December 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I do a sort of modified version shown here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4465&pictureid=57420

Perhaps something like this will work for you. I usually hold it in place with a Flexi8 or a couple of Amish pins on each side. The ends are tucked in the opposite side under the lace braid edge.

pepperminttea
December 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Where you starting the braids? Could you start them lower/further back, or perhaps cross them at the back first, so it eats up a bit of length? :)

misstwist
December 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Where you starting the braids? Could you start them lower/further back, or perhaps cross them at the back first, so it eats up a bit of length? :)

Hey! I was gonna say that. :slap:

You may be getting almost long enough for a coronet braid.

GeoJ
December 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I will cross my braids at the back of my head, then bring them up over my head. Since there is braid all the way around, it doesn't matter where the ends are, they can always be tucked in. If I start the braids a little loose, I can pin the hair down on the back of my head to eliminate the part.

nmarie33
December 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Dang - I think I'm just at an inbetween place where I'm too long for the regular way, and not quite long enough for SpinDance's crisscross kind of thing. I usually start my pigtails down low under my ears. I think I'll experiment with some of the ideas in this thread tonight, thanks everyone. What a bummer to have to revamp such an easy and nice-looking style! But I'm glad for the extra hair length, of course. :D

Juneii
December 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM

:o that just might do it, should I be doing a dutch braid instead? I generally start my braid at the nape of my neck because I thought that was how many did the milkmaid braids, I watched some youtube videos on it >__<

spindance - woah, that looks incredibly intricate!

spidermom
December 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
One thing I used to do that was sometimes successful was to take my tassel and make a pin-curl of it, pinning it flat. Heidi braids have always been a problem in my slippy-slidey hair, though. They don't stay where I put them but slide and pull.

Intransigentia
December 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not quite long enough for Heidi braids, but today I'm trying the Frida Kahlo variation, as recently discussed in Renegray-land. (instructional video link (http://www.compaiblog.com/2010/09/tutorial-frida-kahlo-style-do.html)) The scarf does a nice job of disciplining the ends that otherwise don't come quite close enough togehter, and i'm thinking they'd work on ends that go too far but not far enough around too.

pepperminttea
December 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm not quite long enough for Heidi braids, but today I'm trying the Frida Kahlo variation, as recently discussed in Renegray-land. (instructional video link (http://www.compaiblog.com/2010/09/tutorial-frida-kahlo-style-do.html)) The scarf does a nice job of disciplining the ends that otherwise don't come quite close enough togehter, and i'm thinking they'd work on ends that go too far but not far enough around too.

Ooh, I really like that idea, thanks for the vid link! :)

Juneii: The ones I've seen are usually just English braids, pinned up, rather than Dutch braids started at the nape, but your version sounds stunning!

Anje
December 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I will cross my braids at the back of my head, then bring them up over my head. Since there is braid all the way around, it doesn't matter where the ends are, they can always be tucked in. If I start the braids a little loose, I can pin the hair down on the back of my head to eliminate the part.
This is what I would suggest as well.. Cross in back, then pass over the head. Whether cross again at the crown seems optional.

SpinDance
December 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
nmarie33, it's not quite the same, but shorter braids done like mine can be tucked completely inside the lace edge and pinned down over top of them, so the ends disappear. It looks more complicated than it is. Then as the length increases the circle can be made, getting larger depending on length.

nmarie33
December 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Woah that Frida version is cool and does look like it could hide some too short/too long issues.