PDA

View Full Version : Help! Looking for cute, easy up-do for THICK curly hair...

HappyEeyore
June 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
My 16yo dd is going on a trip to a humid climate, and I need to find an easy to do up-do for her, for her very very thick and curly BSL hair.

Any favorites you could share with me?

Thanks so much!
Erica

Mary <><
June 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
This might be more simplistic than you are looking for, but how about a peacock twist with a strong sturdy stick or a cute clip or even a slide to hold it? She could have little pieces hanging down by the face and neck. Soft, and easy! HTH!

coppercurls
June 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I have to 2nd the peacock twist. Maybe a sock bun?

sapphire-o
June 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
It's not updo but how about a single braid? They look great, are easy to make and don't require any expensive hairtoy you might lose on the trip. :) Many of those ladies in India wear braids, and it's hot and humid there. I think thick curly hair would be especially great for braids since the braids would look so nice and fat, and won't come apart easily. :)

goldenwaves
June 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Have you heard of a figure eight bun? They'r really easy and look great. Here's a link to how to do one: http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/message/1048750751/Figure+8+Bun+Instructions+&#37;26amp%3B+clamp+informat ion

That website also has a number of other great hairstyles that could be suitable. :)

sahiba
June 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Can anyone give me a link to peacock twist please.

Riot Crrl
June 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Sahiba, check out the very first video here: http://ficcare.com/videos.aspx

It is almost the easiest updo to make I think, for like SL/APL/BSL hair. For longer hair it is fairly useless as the ends will just flop over. But I think for BSL and very curly it's a very good option since the ends will curl and shrink up and look cute.

It's kind of like a French twist except without worrying about tucking the ends in at all and just letting them stick out on top.

JillieRose
June 4th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Figure 8 bun (trust me on this one) will not work in BSL, thick, curly hair.

I know this because I have thick, curly BSL hair, and there's just not enough hair to make it look finished. It's more like a figure 6!

Peacock twists are good, as are braids. Or two braids. Or just a regular cinnabun with scrunchie if you're not dressing up.

Riot Crrl
June 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM
It is true, figure 8 is not even a concept. I can only make like half of the 8.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Actually, half of the eight might not be a bad idea. I use to do this and you will only have one loop to secure but it held for me very well and looked cute too. I second the braid for comfort if she can learn or already knows how to do it.

If she does the peacock twist, tell her after she gets it done to mist or wet the hair sticking out the top to arrange it so it doesn't stick straight up like curly hair tends to do! That will look very cute!

Medvssa
June 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I find the most secure and out of the way to be a braided updo. A snug braid, tied with a small elastic, coiled and held with three (sides and top) bun pins (like amish pins but with a short wavy section on each wire-arm)