PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Is caffeine bad for hair growth? I'm a college student and I also work part-time :thud:, so it's something I consume on a regular basis. Will this stunt the growth of my hair? I know it makes it less shiny, etc.

Intransigentia
December 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Heh, I have no idea. I am a slave to the Mighty Bean and its cousin Cola, and my hair is very shiny and seems to be growing the expected 1/2"/month. Would it be shinier and growing faster if I quit? Maybe, but I love caffeine more than I desire that possible incremental improvement.

Crazycatlady
December 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
For me, personally, I have had average growth over the past year and my hair has lots of shine. I have people comment on it all the time..."Oh, your hair is getting so long, and it's so shiny." And I do drink plenty of coffee, probably 6 cups a day. I've heard that caffeine can block your body from absorbing certain nurtients from your food, especially iron. But I have a healthy diet and I take supplements as well. I worry about it sometimes, but I still drink my coffee. :p

Copasetic
December 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I'm a caffeine addict have never noticed less shine or slower growth.

spidermom
December 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
2 cup a day strong coffee drinker here with slightly above average growth rate, thick, healthy, shiny hair.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Good to hear. I'm going to keep drinking unhealthy amounts of coffee and soda. Onward!!!! :whip:

jujube
December 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Do not drink coffee and hair does not grow faster, or look shinier. I don't think such a minor drug has considerable effect on hair health, or overall body health, unless you drink 7 Red Bulls a day, in which case your heart condition would seriously worry me.

selenechiba
December 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I usually drink coffee continuously throughout the day and have never noticed a difference in growth, texture, or shine from those times versus the times in which I did not. (I wouldn't worry about it unless you're also noticing other health disturbances that you might associate with excessive caffeine.)

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Here is where I read that caffeine can affect shininess:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/shiny-hair-10-tips-to-getting-smooth-and-shiny-hair?page=3

Mutinous
December 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I've never noticed anything bad. And Starbucks is my drug of choice.

jenjen10
December 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I don't think it makes a difference but I am not willing to give up my coffee to find out! :coffee:

littlenvy
December 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
No clue!
I know that topical application of caffeine to hair roots will help it grow. Drinking coffee on the other hand, I don't know. Unless you are drinking coffee as a meal replacement and therefore leaving yourself short on nutrition ... :confused:

Kirin
December 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm guilty of my Arabica habit! No fear, hair grows nonetheless!

Cailie
December 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM
My hair growths well and I drink coffee everyday too.

One thing to mention : be sure to drink much more water than coffee each day, because coffee (and tea) is a diuretic (makes you loose water) so it can't be any good for moisture and hydratation overall (skin / hair / etc.)

This is what I do. I enjoy my 1-2 cups of coffee daily, but I make sure to drink my 6-8 glasses of water too :)

aenflex
December 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
From what I understand, in some circles, it's used topically as a growth aid/stimulant. Anything that improves circulation to the scalp/folicles should help growth.

Igor
December 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
We have other threads on this and people have even quoted and linked to studies on the effect on hair growth.