PDA

View Full Version : Worst Hair Cut By Choice OR Hair Cut Regrets

Dragon
December 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
What’s the worst hair cut you have had by choice or regretted?

Mine was when I let a hairdresser cut my hair how ever she wanted to. It did look good but the problem was that she cut my layers that short that I couldn’t tie them back in a pony tail any more. Nothing worse then going to tie your hair up and realise you can't do it any more :( I also regret this hair cut.

myria
December 7th, 2010, 02:08 AM
The worst haircut ever was the last one my mother made me have when I was about 14. I had my hair cut from apl (because having hair that long is babyish, apparently :rolleyes:) to a just above chin length, thinned, shaved-at the back, layered bob. My hair is frizzy and curly when its shorter so if it wasn't straightened every day i looked like rod stewart in the '70s. It took ages to grow it out because of the straightener damage. Needless to say, I hated it.
The one I regret most is being convinced by a (now ex :pins:) boyfriend to cut my hair from tailbone to collarbone about 4 years ago.

Purdy Bear
December 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
The very worst was when I was 11. My mother promised that I could go to the hairdressers for the very first time, I arranged the appointment etc., On the day she literally took a pudding basin, plonked it on my head and cut off my TBL hair into a horrendous ear length bob. I then had to go to the hairdressers to cancel the appointment and show them my mothers handy work. I think the hairdresser was in tears when I left.

I spent the next 6 months or so, being told I was a boy in a skirt at my new secondary school, even the teachers didnt know I was a girl.

naereid
December 7th, 2010, 02:37 AM
In 2008 I thought it would make my hair curl nicer if I cut it short and put a bunch of layers in. It didn't - it was just a mess with bits of hair sticking out randomly. At least I learned that my hair needs length for nice curls!

It was nice when I got it professionally styled - like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5205&pictureid=67898

But then I realized I have no idea how to deal with it on my own and that I can't tie it up properly any more... I so know what you mean, Dragon. :grnbiggri

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5205&pictureid=89944

(I love that LHC albums are blocked to non-members! I would never post these pictures otherwise.)

BeachBabe91
December 7th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Oh gosh, I can pretty much say that every hair cut and trim I've decided to get was a bad idea... because a few days later, I realize I want to grow my hair long and about 90% of the time it doesn't turn out the way I want. :P

linnepinne
December 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
My worst cut ever was when I was about 16, and had almost APL, all the same length hair, and decided I needed a change. A big one.
So i found a picture in a magazine of a SUPER layered (shortest about ear length, and longest ablout the same length as my own hair) cut with really cool side swept bangs. It was sort of unusual an very voluminous and playful. I was sick of my stick straight flat hair.
So I went to my favorite salon, who had several stylists working there, and i'd always been pleased so far, no matter which one of them i got. But today I got a new girl, who seemed very grumpy. She told me that she she could try to do the hairstyle, but it would probably not look the same as the picture. And she gave me no further explainations or any new ideas of what to do instead that might suit my hair/face better. But I was a bit shy and figured she was a proffessional, she could probably make it work.
And when she was finishing me of, I told her I wanted my bangs like the picture aswell (my har was still in just a middle parting), but she refused! She claimed that that would be a to big a change and that I would just be unsatisfied and come back to complain.
I was so shocked and surprised I just went home with my new horrible cut (which she did'nt even TRY to STYLE the same as the picture, she just dryed it and did nothing else), and I dyed it black the next day to get that dramatic change I so desperatly needed.

A few months later I was back to get my hair trimmed (made sure I booked a specific time with a girl named Maria, who always listened and gave good input) and I found out that the new girl had been fired. I was not the only costumer she had been horrible to.

dropinthebucket
December 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Oh my, these are quite some stories! Hugs to all the traumatic cut victims.

My own hair, and my son's, are the devil to any hairdresser. I'm sure it gives them nightmares. I realized the full evilness of our hair when I started cutting it myself. We have weird, wonky flips that are never the same twice. What looks normal and straight and even when you first cut it, looks lopsided, uneven, and longer in places the very next day!

spidermom
December 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I walked into a salon with BSL hair on impulse and got a stylist who was about 8-1/2 months pregnant and probably shouldn't have been on her feet. I got such a bad, lop-sided, layered haircut that there was only one way to fix it - get a short pixie at a different salon 2-3 days later.

Madora
December 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I did it to myself about 3 years ago. I was depressed and just wanted shorter braids, so cut off about 3 inches of both braids.

Results: Now I have hair that is partly classic and partly waist.

Memo to self: never cut hair when depressed!

spoonshine
December 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
This is easy. In grade 4, I made my mother cut my very long hair into a mushroom cut to fit in with all the girls in my class that had the same cut. What can I say, it was best not to stand out in that place. It served its purpose but I missed my hair extremely.

Arndis
December 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to comb or brush my hair myself, and I cried when my mother did, because she pulled hard. So when I was in grade 5 my mother was sick of the crying and cut it all off to less than 1 inch long. I had less hair than the boys, in the early 90s, when girl hair was very girly, and often permed and hairsprayed to death. I never let her touch it again, not ever. It hadn't been particularly *good* hair before, but having it all hacked off that way made me much uglier and much more of a social outcast than I already was.

It took until university for me to both realize that I could, and be able to afford, to go have it cut at even a cheap salon, and start using real shampoo and conditioner regularly instead of dish detergent as mandated by my mother.

Wanderer09
December 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
When I was about 5 I wanted to be a boy, so I got my mom to let me have a buzz cut (which I think she was pleased about because she didn't want to deal with my hair, lol). Hated it instantly because I couldn't do anything with it, and I never went that short again.

cmnt831
December 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
A few years ago, I went into a salon to get a chin length bob. What I actually got was neither a bob nor chin length. :rolleyes: I too had to go to another salon a couple days later and get a pixie cut to fix it. The best part of the whole thing was that I had the woman at the second salon give me hot pink highlights, which I absolutely adored. :D

jujube
December 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I once went to a trendy and expensive salon and I told the guy do to whatever he wanted. I got out of there with an oblique Twiggy-style haircut and horizontal S-shaped bangs. No, I don't have any pictures.

erika_d
December 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
The very worst was when I was 11. My mother promised that I could go to the hairdressers for the very first time, I arranged the appointment etc., On the day she literally took a pudding basin, plonked it on my head and cut off my TBL hair into a horrendous ear length bob. I then had to go to the hairdressers to cancel the appointment and show them my mothers handy work. I think the hairdresser was in tears when I left.

I spent the next 6 months or so, being told I was a boy in a skirt at my new secondary school, even the teachers didnt know I was a girl.

Whoa. I'm trying to figure out why a mother would do that... :confused: I' sorry to hear that.

Mine was similar in that I got a really short haircut when I was in grade 5 (which I LOVED-I LIKE short hair as well as long) but everybody thought I was a boy!!! I remember on the first day of school that year there was a new kid...the rest of us had all been in the same class together so we knew each other...anyway, the teacher told us to count how many boys were in the class and how many girls and this kid kept counting me as a boy!! And everybody else knew different...and it was just embarassing all around. I still remember it like it was yesterday. :(

miss_purple
December 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
It was in the last day of summer when my mom decided I need a haircut for the 1st day of school, so she took me to a hairdresser. From shoulder length I got an ear-length haircut. I was 15, in love with my previous year deskmate... and very ashamed of my haircut. He just left me alone in the desk and moved in with someone else.

hermosamendoza
December 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
at my school in elementary there was a horrible outbreak of lice and the only way my mom could think to get rid of it and stop spending money on those horrble smelling chemicals was to cut our hair all the way off into a pixie. I got confused for a boy so much. I remember when I was in kindergarden or first my sister had waste length hair and i had a pixie an older lady at burger king came up to give us the crowns and she said 'one for the princess' and put it on my sisters head and then said 'one for the prince' and put one on my head. i just wanted to cry and my mom said 'that's a princess too.' the old lady just said oh and walked away.

So i have an obsession with long hair being feminine and short hair being boyish and manly. funny thing though my mom had long hair in high school and cut it all off and has never had long hair since. my sister had long hair and then in high school cut it off and has gotten shorter and shorter. i'm the only one who can stand long hair past my shoulders. My goal is TBL :D

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Oh, oh me!! This one time I got a "scene" haircut. My top layers were only a couple of inches.

It was a mess.

lapushka
December 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The really short-short pixie cuts: such a mistake. The fact that I listened to other people who kept telling me that that style suited me: even worse. The times when I shaved my head. Yes, times. Plural. The fact that I experimented a lot in high school and cut my hair into all sorts of odd shapes and layers, one of which was a punky style (spikes in the back, flat up front) for which I was ridiculed because I'd cut my almost BSL wavy hair for it. Decades later a similar style actually became popular. OMG. What trends can do to people. :lol:

DARKMARTIAN
December 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
For me it was LONG LONG ago.....like mid to late 80's, before I started growing my hair. And it wasnt really a cut either. What happened was I got my hair "permed". Yeah in accordance to one of the the "styles" back then, but its not something I enjoy reminiscing about.
Now please forget that you read this.

*this post will self destruct*

Amraann
December 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I was about 11 or 12 and I had hair a few inches above my waist.
I wanted long layers and all my mother would do was angle the bottom.
So her friend and fellow cosmetologist said she would do it.
I was very clear in explaining where I wanted the shortest layer.
What I wound up with was a bi-level hair cut that I can only describe as a mullet. Short layers on my sides with the length down my back.

I was so upset. The sides of my hair stayed up in clips for months and months after that until they grew in.
To this day I cringe when I see women who have their hair cut like that.

cmnt831
December 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
For me it was LONG LONG ago.....like mid to late 80's, before I started growing my hair. And it wasnt really a cut either. What happened was I got my hair "permed". Yeah in accordance to one of the the "styles" back then, but its not something I enjoy reminiscing about.
Now please forget that you read this.

*this post will self destruct*

Too late, the image is seared on my brain. :lol:

DARKMARTIAN
December 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Im ruined....tarnished for life....http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/smileyWorried.gif

Olyve
December 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
When I was about 10, I thought it was wise to cut my own hair. However, I couldn't get it even and I ended up going from waist length hair to shorter than chin length with the underside in the back shaved. I am VERY thankful my mom walked in when she did and I got caught.

The downside is I kept my hair shoulder length/APL from then on and now at 25 have decided I want it longer and healthier.

adiapalic
December 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
It was just once, and by choice. I was about 6 or 7 years old and my hair was mid-back length. My sister had hers cut to her shoulders, and begged me to do the same. I admit, I really wanted to see what it looked and felt like... and my big sister did it and wanted me to as well--so, what's stopping me?

That was it. That night I cried my pillow full and prayed that my hair be back by morning. It wasn't. So I said, "Self, don't do that again!" and I haven't. :p :flower:

Mutinous
December 7th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I tried to imitate Pete's Wentz' emo fringe style once. And never again!

misslicorice
December 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
When I was twelve, I decided I wanted hair like Scully from the X-Files. My hair had always been long, but I decided I would be okay with cutting it off to a little longer than chin length. The woman who cut my hair had different ideas; she hacked off all of it until it was maybe a half an inch longer than a pixie cut! It was absolutely awful.
The next day when I went to school, everyone and their dog had to comment on my brand new hack job, claiming they liked it, etc. When you're a slightly melodramatic 12 year old with a bad haircut, it's the end of the world, especially when everyone keeps mentioning it! :lol:

Gilly
December 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Im ruined....tarnished for life....http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/smileyWorried.gif

Is there any photographic evidence of the perm???

If not, you are quite safe, if there is.........:couch:

Olyve
December 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Reading through the thread I am reminded of one other hair cut- that was not by choice. My mom thought she was a stylist :rolleyes: and that to add layers into my hair she would put it into a ponytail on the top of my head and then CUT IT!

I ended up with a Florence Henderson style (http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9130/0316091735mflorencehend.jpg) for most of 8th grade. Although my top area was longer as was my bottom layer but it looked just like that- I had to wear my hair up in a pony until it was decent enough for my to get shaped up so it wasn't horribly short. :rolleyes:

Becky Safari
December 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Oh let me tell you!

I was in high school and went to a stylist asking for Nicole Kidman's haircut in Practical Magic (I had the length and a few pictures) and the stylist ended up giving me a fashion mullet. That consisted of two layers, the short one had bangs...all the way around?? And the rest was just long and curtainy UGH

mellie89
December 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
When I was 12, I wanted to get my hair cut like Paige from Trading Spaces. :p

It ended up being blunt and ear-length, whereas I think I wanted something more layered. Regardless, it was a truly terrible cut for me. It made my face look like it was about 87 miles long. Luckily, I was young enough to get away with it. I didn't even care too much at the time, and it grew back to APL within two years.

Octave
December 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
When I was still in kindergarten I wanted to twin/wrap a few strands of hair in some colorful yarn (does that even makes sense?) at a yearly festival.
Was really happy when I got it, but then one morning decided that I got bored of it and didn't want it anymore...
So as silly as I was I took a pair of scissors and cut the entire thing off along with the hair. :rolleyes: The end result was that I had hair that was sticking up in the middle of my head and shorter than the rest.
My mum decided to take me to the hair saloon so that they could fix it....let me put it like this: they didn't fix it at all only made it worse! I ended up with a short haircut, with all my hair cut evenly and ended up looking like a boy. :(

Had bad layers cuts as well that only gave me split ends and it looked awesome for the first month...but nothing beats that kindergarten experience. :laugh:

enfys
December 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
All my hair cuts for about ten years have been by my own hand. I cut my fringe which I decided I didn't like but everyone else loved. That's taking a while to grow out.

I cut my hair just a few inches at a time so I could get used to it, so they weren't disasters.

Nope, I've been very lucky I think that there has never been a time where I have been distraught over a haircut. I've always made sure I could still tie it up if it went bad :p

bluesnowflake
December 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I regret not verifying what 2 inches meant with the stylist- she cut off a lot more than I was expecting and I cried for a long time.

christine1989
December 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
My stylist is great and has never given me a bad cut- the worst is what I did myself. I trimmed my bangs once then cut a little more to even them out....then a little more to even it out again.....then just a little more.... You can guess what the result was- the world's shortest bangs!

rags
December 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mine was by choice, and it was just a month ago. Having never had short hair as an adult, I decided to get my BSL hair cut into a pixie. There is a reason you make it to your forties without short hair!! (as in - you really, really don't like short hair!!) I bless the stylist every day who wouldn't listen to me wanting it about 2" long and cut it about 5" long. It looks just like a pixie someone has been growing out. It's cute and different, and I hate it. I'll never have hair too short to tie up again if I can help it!

Shellby
December 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The worst hair cut I did not actually get, thank goodness. When the group Wilson Phillips was big I wanted the super short hair of Chynna Phillips. I had BSL hair. Thankfully my hair dresser said NO. She told me I would hate it in a day or 2 and didn't want to see me upset or feel she caused it. She was right of course. I think I should get a wig in a super shortie style so I can have it for a day, because when I see the pictures I still want it! :p

kmoc123
December 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Agreeing to go from waist length to GI Jane....OMG...that was stupid! And very cold...my hair keeps me warm! THANKFULLY, now it is almost classic length...took a while and I won't be chopping it off anymore!!!

feralnature
December 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Too late here too. It's seared, baby, it's seared!

lilravendark
December 7th, 2010, 05:31 PM
either the bowl cut by my mothers friend in high school or the day my friend was getting a haircut and I couldn't be patient enough to sit there and watch so i decided to get the chop my hair was classic length it got cut to in between chin and shoulder length with a fringe and permed down the bottom. I regretted it the next day when I woke up and realised what the hell did I do!? I ended up chemically straightening it the next day because I couldn't manage the stupid looking half perm lol

jaine
December 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I got a fashion mullet a few years ago that I completely wasn't expecting...I went in for a trim of the awesome haircut he had given me 3 months earlier. I can't say I blame him though because fashion mullets were very popular in Europe that year and he was doing his job, being trendy.
Other than that, my worst haircuts have been self-induced experiments. :)

thatjengirl1
December 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Of course i regret every cut i've had cuz i wish i had really longhair right now! lol but i would say my worst hair cut regrets were always getting bangs. i would cut, they would grow, i would cut, i dont know why i wouldnt just finally understand that i didnt like bangs

musicallberrii
December 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
When I was 12, my mom told me I could go and get my first hair cut at the hair dressers.. what a mistake it turned out to be! I ended up with a ear length bob, blunt bangs above my eyebrows and skunk-like bleached streaks that looked gray! Talk about awful..

missmegnetic
December 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS

that I am still growing out... I cringe when I think of how faboosh my hemline/weightline could be today....

*sigh*

if only......

OperaTeacherMom
December 8th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I have gone for chin to shoulder length bobs more times than I care to count, both with and without layers. I hate them every time, don't know why I keep doing this to myself!

meerikal
December 8th, 2010, 02:46 AM
My worst cut to date was an attempt at a below shoulder length layered look when I was in my sophomore year in college. The hairstylist did not look at the amount of curl shrink that occurs when my hair is dry and I walked out looking like Anne of Green Gables after the dye incident. :( Felt like it took forever to grow out.

SandraRebekka
December 8th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Oh my, a dish detergent. All my sympathy.

terrylillyd
December 8th, 2010, 03:31 AM
My mom gave me a pixie cut herself when I was in elementary school. I don't know why, if she thought it was cute or if it just made taking care of my hair easier. It wasn't cute. I was mistaken for a boy a few times, and I was made fun of at school because all the other girls at my school seem to have long flourishing hair.

Mina17
December 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
My most recent haircut was the worst. I had hair that was between shoulder and APL and asked for layers. I am terrible at communicating what I want done, and I ended up with the shortest layers at mid-ear. As you can imagine, it looked terrible so I came home and had my mom cut the length straight across halfway between chin and collarbone. That helped make it look marginally presentable, though now I have somewhat of a helmet head and with my wavy hair the layers stick out.

sophiamarie
December 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
In the early eighties I had hair almost waist length. I decided to go to a "trendy" place I heard about and asked for "something more modern". What a mistake. The stylist (male) was like a man possessed that I willingly handed myself over to him with long hair. He proceeded to cut the longest part to above shoulder length, and added short spikey "punk" hair at the top and sides. He said when he was almost done, "I'm trying to make your hair explode!". I was absolutely in shock, went home, saw my husband and started to cry. He kept hugging me and saying it will be alright while trying not to laugh at my new "look". What a disaster.

Regan
December 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
i had a fashion mullet, too LOLOL
i remember i went to get it cut with a friend, and i remember her looking at me and just shaking her head... oh man. i don't think i hated it at that time, but now when i look back on it... it makes me insane.

luluj
December 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
"THIS"... MY CHOICE TO GET RID OF HAIR DYE ONCE AND FOR ALL...I cried all the way home:(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5611&pictureid=74214

hela
December 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I see I'm not the only one :p

I was about 14 that I made the mistake of telling a hairdresser to cut my hair the way she wanted. This is a picture of me after the cut:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3555/hongomostaza.jpg

I have to thank her, though, because after that dreadful cut I vowed to never again cut my hair, much less allow any hairdresser to get creative with me :couch:

Another very, very bad choice was cutting a very ridiculous fringe to myself that I'm still growing out. Oh well... :D

virgo75
December 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The 1st worst haircut was when I was 10 and my mom tried to use a round brush to blow dry my curly hair straight. And it was a tiny round brush.

My mother accidentally got the brush trapped in my hair near the root right at the crown. Instead of taking the time to take the brush out, she just cut the brush out of my hair. :shake:

The next day I had to stay home from school and she sent me to the salon by myself with a note. I don't know what the note said, but I went in there with hair to my (imaginary) bra strap and came out of there with hair that was about 2 inches on top and 1 inch the rest of the way around. :cry:

I've had my hair chopped off by accident and on purpose multiple times since then, but none were as devastating as the first one.

Bonkers57
December 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Ha-ha! I've had some good haircuts, but I've also had some bloody awful ones. The worst one had to be this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Amaryllis_Dance/img002.jpg
It was cut with a razor - my poor hair was butchered! (I also regret my ex, so I cropped him out of the pic :p )

This comes in a close second:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Amaryllis_Dance/img003.jpg
The dreaded POODLE PERM!

WhisperingMoon
December 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
my worst haircut of choice was to chop off 13 inches in DEC 2007 to achieve the asymetrical short bob of Victoria Beckham. I did this right before I deployed to Iraq, thinking it would be better to increase my performance and have my hair out of the way and less maintenance. Was I ever so WRONG!!!:mad:It was constantly in my face and getting in the way! errr never doing that agin. Buns are very safe and better for hair protection anyways!

Laurenji
December 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
When I was 6, my mom tried to give me bangs. Since I have crazy cowlicks, this didn't work very well, so she took me to a cheap salon and told them to cut it off the whole way round the same length as the bangs. Yes, I looked like a boy.

The other time was just after freshman year of college when I decided I wanted short hair. I can't really describe what I got; none of it was longer than chin, but the front was shorter, more bang-length. So I guess kind of mullet-y. I really liked it at the time, looking back it was actually quite hideous.

Laurenness
December 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I think the worst mistake was perming it. My straight texture was already good, but my mom convinced me too. Now I'm still growing it out. Grrrrrr.

patienceneeded
December 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hmm...worst cut would have to be in 7th grade when I had a little girl mullet going on. It was AWFUL. My hair was totally flat and it looked terrible. I don't know what I was thinking. After that grew out I decided to get a perm in 8th grade...total poodle-head. I keep growing it out and then get bored and cut it off. So, now I've decided to commit to the grow-out and I'm glad I found this group to help me stay motivated to grow!

DreadfulWoman
December 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I see I'm not the only one :p

I was about 14 that I made the mistake of telling a hairdresser to cut my hair the way she wanted. This is a picture of me after the cut:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3555/hongomostaza.jpg

I have to thank her, though, because after that dreadful cut I vowed to never again cut my hair, much less allow any hairdresser to get creative with me :couch:

Another very, very bad choice was cutting a very ridiculous fringe to myself that I'm still growing out. Oh well... :D

Hey, how did you get a hold of my fifth grade picture?

LittleHealthy
April 12th, 2021, 11:23 PM
Im reviving this thread to say I regret cutting my fringe on the 4th of January 2021.
My 'i' hair cannot take having less out of its length, my hair looks ridiculously thin now, and the bangs are annoying as I need to either pin it back or style it, daily.
It's growing out now, slowly but surely.
I hope it's at least cheek length by December... I hate knowing it's going to take years to reach the rest of my length!!
https://i.postimg.cc/wBjwPQ7g/Screenshot-20210413-151555-Instagram.jpg

Eastbound&Down
April 13th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Im reviving this thread to say I regret cutting my fringe on the 4th of January 2021.
My 'i' hair cannot take having less out of its length, my hair looks ridiculously thin now, and the bangs are annoying as I need to either pin it back or style it, daily.
I hope it's at least cheek length by December... I hate knowing it's going to take years to reach the rest of my length!!

If it makes you feel better, I think the bangs look really nice on you. I like bangs in theory, but the upkeep and maintenance is just not my jam.

Bat
April 13th, 2021, 08:15 AM
I actually think they suit you, :O
------
My regret for mine atm was putting ash in my hair to tone it, now it's swampy ash lol

lakhesis
April 13th, 2021, 09:00 AM
My mom kept my hair at chin length bob with bangs when I was a kid. It would be probably mean to say it was the worst, but I remember I was kind of sad when it was time to cut my hair again.

But she put a lot of thought into creating the haircut. I had even thinner, baby fine hair which was completely unmanageable. She drew a portrait of me with the haircut - front, side and back and gave it to a hairdresser. I know that the hairdresser kept it even years after I was already allowed to grow my hair.

sipnsun
April 13th, 2021, 10:26 AM

I think it looks great on you, but I feel you about losing thickness! Your hair looks very healthy and silky!

My worst hair cut would have to be in middle school which is already such an awkward time. I was totally obsessed with Cyndi Lauper and talked my mom into letting me cut my hair into a rat tail and spike and dye it orangy-red. There is not a picture that survived, I destroyed all evidence that ever happened!:cool:

Bat
April 13th, 2021, 10:30 AM
That's a shame! I'd have loved to have seen that!

sipnsun
April 13th, 2021, 10:33 AM
That's a shame! I'd have loved to have seen that!

I have 4 brothers and they would have tortured me by sharing it with everyone LOL! They were so mean...

Bat
April 13th, 2021, 10:35 AM
I have 4 brothers and they would have tortured me by sharing it with everyone LOL! They were so mean...
That is brothers for you! :D

Madeline C.
April 13th, 2021, 10:43 AM
My worst hair cut was when I was 15 and decided that I was tired of my frizzy poofy hair that would never lay flat(didn't know I was curly hair lol) I had my mom take me to a salon and I got a long bob just below chin length. The stylist straightened it and it looked amazing... Until I washed it. After my first wash, I became a beautiful triangle head with my hair literally sticking out sideways.

My second worst cut was self inflicted. I decided I wanted side swept bangs (the oh so popular emo type from the early 2000s). They weren't horrible because choppy bangs were the style, but they took a lot of tamming and I maintained them for an embarrassingly long time. So yeah, I'm forever cured from bangs.

Brittny
April 13th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I am cringing as I write this entry. My worst haircut was when I was 13 I had waist length virgin hair. It was very pretty and healthy but for some reason I did not like it because a lot of the girls at school had highlights. I guess back in year 2013 highlights were the new style for all the young girls. I allowed my older sister to cut my waist length hair above my shoulder with KITCHEN scissors :scissors: then got highlights at a salon. :shudder: I don't know why the huge cut, but afterwards I looked like a little boy for a long time.

My worst hair cut was when I was 15 and decided that I was tired of my frizzy poofy hair that would never lay flat(didn't know I was curly hair lol) I had my mom take me to a salon and I got a long bob just below chin length. The stylist straightened it and it looked amazing... Until I washed it. After my first wash, I became a beautiful triangle head with my hair literally sticking out sideways.

My second worst cut was self inflicted. I decided I wanted side swept bangs (the oh so popular emo type from the early 2000s). They weren't horrible because choppy bangs were the style, but they took a lot of tamming and I maintained them for an embarrassingly long time. So yeah, I'm forever cured from bangs.

We should start a class action lawsuit to get compensation for the trauma we endured during the early 2000s emo hair trend. I also fell victim to the side swept bang style and even took it a step further by teasing my hair on the regular to get that nice poofy hard-helmet look. I regularly took a razor to get that "layered" aesthetic as well. :rolleyes:

AmyBee
April 13th, 2021, 11:45 AM
I am cringing as I write this entry. My worst haircut was when I was 13 I had waist length virgin hair. It was very pretty and healthy but for some reason I did not like it because a lot of the girls at school had highlights. I guess back in year 2013 highlights were the new style for all the young girls. I allowed my older sister to cut my waist length hair above my shoulder with KITCHEN scissors :scissors: then got highlights at a salon. :shudder: I don't know why the huge cut, but afterwards I looked like a little boy for a long time.

We should start a class action lawsuit to get compensation for the trauma we endured during the early 2000s emo hair trend. I also fell victim to the side swept bang style and even took it a step further by teasing my hair on the regular to get that nice poofy hard-helmet look. I regularly took a razor to get that "layered" aesthetic as well. :rolleyes:

I second the lawsuit idea. I shudder to think about it!!

Eastbound&Down
April 13th, 2021, 01:01 PM

The BACKCOMBING for the 2010s al la Jersey Shore lol I'm so glad I never did it but my sister was really into the backcombing and bumpit trend. So much damage.

Dark40
April 14th, 2021, 08:44 AM
My worst hair cut or regret is when I was 13 years old and my step-mom pushed me into getting a hair cut when my hair was almost HL! I was so sorry afterwards that I had gotten a chin length bob back then! Because, I feel that if I had kept all of my hair I would be at my long-term goal right now. Which is either ankle length or floor. I am so glad I don't cut my hair anymore! I only do small trims whenever it needs it.

L. L. Zamenhof
April 14th, 2021, 11:35 PM
Two horrible haircuts that stand out.

In fifth grade, my dad gave me crew cuts for my biannual haircut. One time I told him to leave the back alone after he did the rest of it. One day at school with a skullet and he was ready at home to finish shaving my head.

Then when I was in my twenties I went to a Cost Cutters (or someplace similar). I wanted like a regular haircut, maybe a fade. I don't remember what they asked for. But what I ended up getting something a beet farming would get. Not at all good. I didn't have my glasses on when she cut my hair, and I didn't feel like saying anything at the end. My wife ended up shaving my head when I got home.

JasminxCat
April 14th, 2021, 11:57 PM
When I was around 13 I bought a razor comb from Sally's and gave myself heavy layers with the shortest being 3 inches and with side swept bangs. It was super choppy but I wanted it to be.. I was in the emo/scene phase then. I layered it too much that I had to chop off half of my length so it was at my neck by the time I was done with it. I liked it for a week and I remember thinking I was so cool. But oh man

Jools69
April 15th, 2021, 03:43 AM
The most recent one for me was about 6 years ago, when I decided to have spiral perm on my APL hair. I had asked the stylist to give me ‘lots’ of layers, as I read somewhere it would improve the look of my long face. Instead of lovely spirals sitting nicely on my shoulders which I’ve had from previous perms, I was left with a huge frizzy puffball and straight bits, with the top layer at eyebrow level and the bottom just touching my shoulders. shudder:

It wasn’t entirely my fault though. The stylist had applied the neutraliser incorrectly: she sponged the liquid on from a bowel instead of squeezing it straight from the bottle and had asked a student to help with one side. She had cut my hair before and after the perm, taking off more length and blow dried it so much that I wouldn’t notice before I left.:steam I complained later and another stylist tried her best to reperm the ‘straight bits’. For weeks afterwards, I shed a lot of hair in clumps in the shower. It only improved a bit when it started to grow out. Took me 3 years to fully grow out, maintaining at shoulder for 3 years before attempting to grow it long.

Note to oneself: do not rush into it, research the methods and techniques and not just look at the pretty pictures, ask the stylist their approach to the application and runaway if the salon asks you to sign a waiver to absolve them from responsibilities, if they make a mistake.

ipickee
April 15th, 2021, 06:01 AM
I shaved my head in April or so 2020. I don't necessarily regret it, but I do regret the grow out process. Such a pain!

L. L. Zamenhof
April 15th, 2021, 07:21 PM
I shaved my head in April or so 2020. I don't necessarily regret it, but I do regret the grow out process. Such a pain!

Growing out from a shaved head is a slog. If you haven't done much trimming in the last year, though, you're almost past the hardest part.

Feline
April 15th, 2021, 09:42 PM
When I was 5 and about to go to kindergarten, my mom took me to a dept store salon (Steinbach's in Asbury Park, NJ) and got me a Shirley Temple perm. There are few pictures of this, thank God. Then when I was 16, someone gave me a gift certificate for a trendy salon in the nest town. They gave me a pixie cut, which Mom was thrilled with. "So cute!" I was thrilled, too, until people started mistaking me for a boy! I've been growing it out since senior year of college (1975)

baanoo
April 16th, 2021, 04:17 PM
When I was 5 and about to go to kindergarten, my mom took me to a dept store salon (Steinbach's in Asbury Park, NJ) and got me a Shirley Temple perm. There are few pictures of this, thank God. Then when I was 16, someone gave me a gift certificate for a trendy salon in the nest town. They gave me a pixie cut, which Mom was thrilled with. "So cute!" I was thrilled, too, until people started mistaking me for a boy! I've been growing it out since senior year of college (1975)

:lol: when I was a kid, I had long hair and wore in a ponytail or braids every day. Our neighbors commented to my mom on how cute it was that “you let your oldest boy grow his hair out” - I 100% was indignant but simultaneously didn’t care at all.

When I was 18 and cut a pixie for the first time, I did feel the need for extra eye makeup but I think that was more about (a) it being 2001, and (b) feeling like I needed to somehow rebalance my face?

Lady Stardust
April 17th, 2021, 02:09 AM
:lol: when I was a kid, I had long hair and wore in a ponytail or braids every day. Our neighbors commented to my mom on how cute it was that “you let your oldest boy grow his hair out” - I 100% was indignant but simultaneously didn’t care at all.

When I was 18 and cut a pixie for the first time, I did feel the need for extra eye makeup but I think that was more about (a) it being 2001, and (b) feeling like I needed to somehow rebalance my face?

That’s interesting, I’d forgotten but I started wearing eye makeup when I got a pixie cut. I think the style can bring more emphasis to the eyes, so it felt like the natural thing to do.

Simsy
April 17th, 2021, 04:58 AM
Right before high school graduation, dad made me cut my hair from around BSL to shoulder. In fairness it was really damaged and I didn’t know what I was doing with it at either length, but I got to walk across the stage in front of my entire class with triangle hair because curls do that.

I get why it was necessary but I still regret that cut.

lapushka
April 17th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Yep, I had BSL length, went to a hair salon just before graduation, and they put me with a student, unbeknownst to me, and she gave me an 80s rocker style (totally layered up, even the bangs). When I just had asked for a slight layered effect. The manager had to cut out all the layers and I left with an "Amélie" do, but it did not look cute on me, not one bit! My mom was so shocked when she came and picked me up with the car. Her eyes went totally wide. Yep, that happened!

Other than that, I really have had no major regrets, yes here and there not really getting what I wanted but not as bad as this!

Bat
April 17th, 2021, 11:28 AM
The most recent one for me was about 6 years ago, when I decided to have spiral perm on my APL hair. I had asked the stylist to give me ‘lots’ of layers, as I read somewhere it would improve the look of my long face. Instead of lovely spirals sitting nicely on my shoulders which I’ve had from previous perms, I was left with a huge frizzy puffball and straight bits, with the top layer at eyebrow level and the bottom just touching my shoulders. shudder:

It wasn’t entirely my fault though. The stylist had applied the neutraliser incorrectly: she sponged the liquid on from a bowel instead of squeezing it straight from the bottle and had asked a student to help with one side. She had cut my hair before and after the perm, taking off more length and blow dried it so much that I wouldn’t notice before I left.:steam I complained later and another stylist tried her best to reperm the ‘straight bits’. For weeks afterwards, I shed a lot of hair in clumps in the shower. It only improved a bit when it started to grow out. Took me 3 years to fully grow out, maintaining at shoulder for 3 years before attempting to grow it long.

Note to oneself: do not rush into it, research the methods and techniques and not just look at the pretty pictures, ask the stylist their approach to the application and runaway if the salon asks you to sign a waiver to absolve them from responsibilities, if they make a mistake.

My past self has experience with the waiver! I had a split dye, I left and it was fine, but the next day a large section of scalp had lifted up and scabbed, I almost went to the doctor, luckily it didn't hurt if I didn't touch it and it eventually came right, I wish I'd run away when the waiver form came out!

Bat
April 17th, 2021, 11:31 AM
That’s interesting, I’d forgotten but I started wearing eye makeup when I got a pixie cut. I think the style can bring more emphasis to the eyes, so it felt like the natural thing to do.

It's because hair can be your Armour, when you chop it up you need replacement Armour and eye makeup helps with that. That's what I think anyway!

Edit: also hair helps with UV protection, same with kohl around the eyes

Could be instinctive too!

Jools69
April 17th, 2021, 12:09 PM
My past self has experience with the waiver! I had a split dye, I left and it was fine, but the next day a large section of scalp had lifted up and scabbed, I almost went to the doctor, luckily it didn't hurt if I didn't touch it and it eventually came right, I wish I'd run away when the waiver form came out!

Ouch, that sounds very sore. Sound like the time in the early 80s when perming solution was a lot harsher, I had a scab on my neck for ages after having a perm. Another time, it nearly got in my eyes and the stylist had to immediately wipe it out.

Bat
April 17th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Ouch, that sounds very sore. Sound like the time in the early 80s when perming solution was a lot harsher, I had a scab on my neck for ages after having a perm. Another time, it nearly got in my eyes and the stylist had to immediately wipe it out.

Yikes! You got lucky in a way, they stuff would make you blind easy, perms are coming back in season, but more popular with men for some reason

Jools69
April 18th, 2021, 12:58 AM
Yikes! You got lucky in a way, they stuff would make you blind easy, perms are coming back in season, but more popular with men for some reason

Indeed. Luckily it didn’t actually go in, but was very close! :shudder:

Indeed. I’ve noticed perms come and go in trends. In the 80s, I knew a few men whom also had perms for their mullet hair styles.

I do love perms and would love to have another with very long hair one day, if it wouldn’t be so damaging.

LittleHealthy
May 11th, 2021, 03:16 AM
Brittny, I would also like to join the class action against the early 2000s emo hair trend. Been there, done that. All my high school photos are of me with basically only one of my eyes visible... Those fringes... the Wakk Stain blue wash out dye I used to put in my fringe... Ugh... Can you remember that song called 'I Must Be Emo'? At least that's what I think it was called. XD

Imaginaera
May 11th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Whoa, your hair horror stories are so much worse than mine! Mine isn't really so much a horror story as an impulse quarantine chop. I forgot my length goals for a second and just chopped my TBL hair to BSL. It was probably good for my hair health in the long run, but I miss that length! I would be at classic by now if I hadn't cut it. Curse you, COVID lockdown!!
Wish I had just cut in some layers. I definitely like my hair better with them, but I didn't have to set myself back 8 months of growth to do it! Oh well. "No regerts."

Arciela
May 11th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Mine was probably when I got a razor "scene girl" cut back in 2010, it ruined my hair, thinned it and it took *forever* to grow out and fix. I also dyed it black at the same time, then wanted it back blonde, I had to sign a waiver and everything. It got back blonde alright...and thin, damaged, brittle, it was so bad :lol: I find less is more with my hair, gotta leave it alone and just let it do its thing.

LittleHealthy
May 13th, 2021, 11:51 PM
Whoa, your hair horror stories are so much worse than mine! Mine isn't really so much a horror story as an impulse quarantine chop. I forgot my length goals for a second and just chopped my TBL hair to BSL. It was probably good for my hair health in the long run, but I miss that length! I would be at classic by now if I hadn't cut it. Curse you, COVID lockdown!!
Wish I had just cut in some layers. I definitely like my hair better with them, but I didn't have to set myself back 8 months of growth to do it! Oh well. "No regerts."

Oh man, every time I trim I have the same mentality "my hair wouldve been X length had I not trimmed X amount last month" etc. Enjoy the fresh ends while they last, I guess!

Arciela, you had to sign a waiver?! That's wild :D We live and we learn. Back then it was basically a requirement to ruin your hair in some way before reaching adulthood. These days the teens don't seem to be making those kinds of mistakes!

Ylva
May 14th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Back then it was basically a requirement to ruin your hair in some way before reaching adulthood. These days the teens don't seem to be making those kinds of mistakes!

Right?! I was just thinking about this a while ago as well. It's almost like... like... they've learned to appreciate their natural selves!? Why did it take me until almost 30 to do the same, and why are my eyebrows so terrible?

QueenElla
July 24th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Oh man, so many... The pixie I got in 2016, maybe? But my hair was breaking off because I tried to go from black box dye to bleach on my own, so I desperately needed it... Maybe the haircut I got in March 2020, my hair was between APL and BSL and I cut it all off to be above shoulder length due to damage from going black dye to bleach again (... see a pattern here? hehe). I wanted it cut to collarbone length but the stylist got a bit scissor happy. My last trim in November 2020 was also quite bad, the stylist cut one side about 1.5 inches shorter than the other. I am pretending I don't notice, until my hair reaches waist... :whistle: I've sworn off salons forever, basically.

floridaorchid
July 24th, 2021, 04:22 PM
The day before valentine's, I got a hair cut that had bangs. She cut them two inches above my eyebrows. My hair barley weighed enough to keep them flat.
I was 15, and devastated.

wo
July 29th, 2021, 12:50 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/fRY5p2CG/Point-Blur-Jul292021-144455.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VJLjbF3g)
I had about 15 years of bad decisions, but here's a curly mullet I rocked for my early teen years. Perhaps I was subconsciously trying to match my beloved poodle at the time.

blessed_momma21
August 13th, 2021, 08:01 AM
This isn’t a hair cut but…. I permed my thin and fine hair in 2017! CRINGE! Worst decision of my life! I chopped it all off into a chin length bob in 2018 and that was the start of my healthy long hair journey. Been growing ever since.

cinamio
August 21st, 2021, 12:58 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/T3dFCRBs/F52-E2223-F075-44-F7-90-A1-3-FB04066-A300.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

About 3 years ago, I cut my hair from waist length, to Bsl, then to shoulder length. I had been trying to grow my hair out, and the longer it got, the curlier it got which hid growth. I got tired and just chopped it off. I regretted it, and then relaxed it and got a keratin treatment. To grow out of this awkward length, I kept it in a low pony tail (if you can even call it that):lol:

Laurab
August 22nd, 2021, 08:48 PM
I actually don't think I have any hair cut regrets.
I guess I wish I was a little better about vocalizing when I want something different. I had the same hair person through middle school and most of high school, and then I've been with my current hair person from senior year of high school until now. When a hair stylist asks me if I'd like anything to be different, I default to saying no, same as always. There have been times where I actually have wanted something different, but for whatever reason I blank out when they ask.
I'm getting better at it, but it's still not a strength.

MoonLady
August 30th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Hair cut regrets? Letting my dad trim my hair! He has had training but it was AGES ago, so I really should have known. Asked for a little trim on a U shaped, mostly blunt hair cut, and end up with a V shape and so many not fully blended layers. I think it was last winter, but it set me back an inch or two because I had to slowly even it back out to mostly blunt, so I got more trims than I actually needed this year. I was so sad trimming healthy hair to make my hemline what looks good on me. V shaped hair cuts make my fineish hair and lower density look so straggly and unhealthy, even when it is healthy.

Shorty89
August 30th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Yep, I had BSL length, went to a hair salon just before graduation, and they put me with a student, unbeknownst to me, and she gave me an 80s rocker style (totally layered up, even the bangs). When I just had asked for a slight layered effect. The manager had to cut out all the layers and I left with an "Amélie" do, but it did not look cute on me, not one bit! My mom was so shocked when she came and picked me up with the car. Her eyes went totally wide. Yep, that happened!

Other than that, I really have had no major regrets, yes here and there not really getting what I wanted but not as bad as this!

I think we need pictures of this :lol:

Dark40
September 2nd, 2021, 10:30 AM
My worst haircut regret is when I cut it 3 months ago by hearing voices telling me that I need a trim or a haircut, and I really didn't need a trim or a haircut. So, what I've decided from now on is to not listen to those negative voices anymore. I've also made the decision to not trim or cut my hair for 5 or 6 years. I'm going to use a youtuber and a LHC member's method named, "gossamer." I hope I spelled her name correctly. ::shrug:

illicitlizard
September 2nd, 2021, 07:53 PM
My worst haircut regret is when I cut it 3 months ago by hearing voices telling me that I need a trim or a haircut, and I really didn't need a trim or a haircut. So, what I've decided from now on is to not listen to those negative voices anymore. I've also made the decision to not trim or cut my hair for 5 or 6 years. I'm going to use a youtuber and a LHC member's method named, "gossamer." I hope I spelled her name correctly. ::shrug:

Oh no, I'm sorry ended up with a cut you didn't need or want due to outside pressure. Definitely don't listen to the negativity and do what YOU want when it comes to your own body. 5 or 6 years of no trims is a very impressive goal, good luck on your no trimming journey!

CurlySpaceGirl
September 3rd, 2021, 02:15 AM
I had a haircut 2 years ago which I really liked. It was shorter than I was used to, but with enough layering that it looked really nice. I took a photo, so I could get it cut in again when I wanted to. Last December I took that photo to a salon and asked if they'd do the same thing. I had layers cut so short that I couldn't even tie my hair up afterwards. It was so short that it looked really thin, too. I've been growing my hair ever since. I'm back at collarbone length now (but still with wierd layers, just longer), but I'm not sure I trust going to a salon again just yet...

Bri-Chan
September 3rd, 2021, 06:36 AM
Reading about your experiences, I think I'm quite lucky.
All the haircut I ended to dislike were made when I was 14. I had emo hair, with a big side fringe but I felt in love with the perfect straight bangs look. So I did it. I had it as a kid and hated, and as teenager my reaction was the same. It's not something that suits my face shape. Some months after, I went to the hairdresser again (I went every 3 months to retouch my layers) and I asked for a layered side bangs. Now, I can understand that maybe my hair wasn't long enough, but he could have told me. I ended up with this extremely layered mini bangs. I hated it. Same hairdresser, about 3 months later. I wanted to cut my hair, from MBL to SL. Oh, I've always brought a photo of the cut I wanted, so every mistake wasn't for my way to explain things. So, I wanted this short hair cut, and to retouch my layers and to cut them shorter. And to reshape my ex- layered baby bangs in emo bangs again (they were long enough at this point). Well, he cut like half inch in a tiny section of my bangs, just that literally, and cut my hair straight across at shoulders. No layers. Nothing. That was a very no-sense haircut, for the first months I often weared extension to make it look a little bit decent and just looking as growed out layers. I remember members of my family saying it was my hair's fault because my hair was/is too thin for that haircut. Well, I can say he didn't try :mad: first of all, is ******** and that was a totally different haircut. Also, I don't get why people want to justify someone who just did a bad job with an haircut. And in the following years another hairdresse cut very heavy layers into my hair succesful several times so that's "not my fault". And, again, if you think I want an hair cut that doesn suit my hair, why don't say that.

Dark40
September 4th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Oh no, I'm sorry ended up with a cut you didn't need or want due to outside pressure. Definitely don't listen to the negativity and do what YOU want when it comes to your own body. 5 or 6 years of no trims is a very impressive goal, good luck on your no trimming journey!

Yes, I'm also so sorry it ended up with a cut too didn't need or want due to pressure. Yes, you're right I definitely don't need to listen to the negativity and do what I want when it comes to my own body. Thank you for saying that 5 or 6 years of no trims is a very impressive goal, and thank you for wishing me luck on my no trimming journey!

zhivago
September 5th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Every haircut I've had at a hairdresser has been hellish. Probably the worst ever was my last mother-mandated one when I was 11. It was at the beginning of summer. My hair was just past collarbone length (longest it had ever been) and she tricked me into going by telling me we were going shopping and then dragging me into the salon to have it chopped up to my chin. Supposedly it was to make it more manageable for the summer heat, but in reality it just gave me a bad rash on my neck because it was too short to tie up. She used to force surprise haircuts on me as punishment all throughout my childhood and absolutely never allowed it to get anywhere below my shoulders, which caused a lot of heartache for me at the time because every single little girl my age had long hair and I felt so alienated.

I have been vehemently anti-hairdresser for years now and the only person I allow to cut my hair is myself.

Jools69
September 5th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Every haircut I've had at a hairdresser has been hellish. Probably the worst ever was my last mother-mandated one when I was 11. It was at the beginning of summer. My hair was just past collarbone length (longest it had ever been) and she tricked me into going by telling me we were going shopping and then dragging me into the salon to have it chopped up to my chin. Supposedly it was to make it more manageable for the summer heat, but in reality it just gave me a bad rash on my neck because it was too short to tie up. She used to force surprise haircuts on me as punishment all throughout my childhood and absolutely never allowed it to get anywhere below my shoulders, which caused a lot of heartache for me at the time because every single little girl my age had long hair and I felt so alienated.

I have been vehemently anti-hairdresser for years now and the only person I allow to cut my hair is myself.
I feel your pain with similar experiences and anxieties.

I don’t understand why some parents feel the need to do this. Perhaps they think it would be easier and more comfortable, or they have a ‘vision’ on how their children should look and behave.

Ylva
September 5th, 2021, 04:01 PM
From age ~6 (when I got rid of my long hair) to about 12, my mom kept having my hair cut into a chin-length bob with bangs ("polka hair" as it's called here). I think I did express I didn't like that haircut, but she insisted that I looked cute, and it sure was convenient for her. It's such a stereotypical girl child haircut.

That is one haircut I would never in a million years consider for myself.

Guitargod
September 12th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Worst idea ever was when I was a teen and wanted long hair so I decided to get a mullet.

Kathie
September 13th, 2021, 02:05 AM
My mother also kept my hair short when I was young and I really hated it. I was very girly when I was young, I didnt like shorts or pants - only skirts. So short hair was really upsetting for me.

When it grew a bit I learnt how to french braid my own hair, I was around 9. I learnt a french twist around 14. Left to my own devices I could look after my own hair, I actually really enjoyed playing with it! So I don't agree with "it will be easier for you to manage". Because I was keen to look after it myself and take the time to learn to put it up.

Dark40
September 27th, 2021, 08:23 PM
I have a haircut regret. About 3 months ago I cut my hair because a negative voice told that I needed a trim or a haircut. Well, from now on I am not going to listen to anymore negative voices telling me to do such things like that to my hair ever again. Because, it's keeping me from reaching my long-term goal.

Belgrade Beauty
October 1st, 2021, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna go with, mid fight with ex, I comb it, and can't comb it out, its so tangled. I'm obviously upset by the fight and I take the scissors and chop it to shoulders. It was mid back=longest I ever was before now.

Twig
October 9th, 2021, 06:07 AM
When I caved into my ex MILs nagging and whining to cut my hair into something short and "practical, and less work." We were young and broke and living with her, and well, you know. So now you get why she's the ex. :pins:

Sassy9226
November 4th, 2021, 07:15 PM
I rage cut my hair after my daughter was born because it was falling out in chunks. Went from tailbone, to chin bob. I cut it all crooked and my mom had to fix it for me. I am finally back down past tailbone now, it's been 7 years.

valkyrie90
November 4th, 2021, 08:00 PM
I rage cut my hair after my daughter was born because it was falling out in chunks. Went from tailbone, to chin bob. I cut it all crooked and my mom had to fix it for me. I am finally back down past tailbone now, it's been 7 years.

Literally every single one I met when I was pregnant with my baby and after I gave birth to him told me I should cut my hair. I said no, I can handle it. I see too many women cutting their hair short because of post-partum hair loss and it upsets me. Cutting is far from the solution.

Hedwig
November 5th, 2021, 03:19 PM
This March I got the worst hair cut of my life - accidental mullet! It was seriously hideous.

illicitlizard
November 5th, 2021, 08:25 PM
This March I got the worst hair cut of my life - accidental mullet! It was seriously hideous.

Oh no! Mullets seem to be trending nowadays (although under the guise of being a better blended "shag" version) so perhaps the stylist was in the mullet zone. I ended up in mullet territory when growing out my hair and it was truly awful.

Hedwig
November 6th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Oh no! Mullets seem to be trending nowadays (although under the guise of being a better blended "shag" version) so perhaps the stylist was in the mullet zone. I ended up in mullet territory when growing out my hair and it was truly awful.

Yes, I made the mistake of going to a hair salon in a trendy neighborhood. I think hair stylists in Berlin nowadays are so keen on cutting mullets, you have to make sure to tell them that you don‘t want one.

illicitlizard
November 6th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Yes, I made the mistake of going to a hair salon in a trendy neighborhood. I think hair stylists in Berlin nowadays are so keen on cutting mullets, you have to make sure to tell them that you don‘t want one.

Ah yes, the stylists who assume everyone is trying to be on trend when they get their hair cut. I hope the grow out is going alright for you!

Hexana
November 7th, 2021, 03:41 AM
Got my worst haircut (not intended) when I was 13 or 14. My ex-SIL was training to be a hairdresser and I asked her to cut me some blunt bangs (I had APL hair). When she cut the bangs I didn't even get to see myself before she said "oh, now the length difference is too much, we need to cut all of your hair to even it out a bit"... Well, I ended up looking like one of the Beatles. I hated it...

momof3mary
November 7th, 2021, 06:59 PM
Pretty much every haircut I've ever had.

Celestarella
November 8th, 2021, 06:49 AM
When I was very young I had long hair down to my waist the majority of my life, and I started begging my mom to let me cut it short. She was hesitant enough that young me decided I could "do it myself" by watching that scene in the Lindsay Lohan parent trap when she cuts her hair. In my 6-7 year old mind, this made perfect sense. Needless to say, it didn't go well. I ended up hiding the cut hair in my closet from my mom and wearing a hat for a whole day so she wouldn't find out.

Well, she did lol. My hair was in so many weird different layers and looked AWFUL. Ended up having to go get it cut very short and not in a style that looked cute at all.

Sassy9226
November 8th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Luckily I didn't have to deal with anyone encourage me to cut. I was just kind of done with it, between baby and ppd, I just couldn't deal with it.

lapushka
November 9th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Age 17, right before graduation, like less than a week before. From BSL to an Amélie cut, but it did not suit me as well as the actress. At all! ETA/ A student hairdresser had given me short layers, very short ones when I asked for long layering, from the bottom up a bit, you know that subtle layering. Yeah. No. That's not what I got, not one bit. And so the manager had no choice but for a uniform cut to cut it to the shortest layer, which was right below my ear. And the student had given me those layered bangs that were in in the 90s too and that you hairsprayed in place. :rolleyes: Totally the opposite of what I was looking for. I had BSL length hair, zero bangs & layers, and just wanted a couple long layers put in to make if flow nicely with my dress.

Hellebore
November 9th, 2021, 04:22 PM
I have two.

First, when I cut all of my hair off in 2014 and went back to a bob. My hair was I think HL or TBL, and I felt like I just needed to go back to bobs for some reason. I immediately hated it, but kept my hair short for years because I just didn't want to go through the hassle of growing it out again.

Second, when I went in for a trim and reshaping right before my elopement. The woman who cut my hair was the pinnacle of why people are afraid of hair stylists. She ripped at my very fine hair while complaining that it was due to damage, and then cut off several more inches than we agreed. She also parted my hair in the center for some reason and told me to wear it like that from now on, even though I have been wearing a side part since I was sixteen.

Now I feel like I'm going to be stuck at WL forever. My husband feels like my hair has already bounced back (it hasn't).

If I hadn't cut my hair in 2014 it would be so long now! Sigh.

7up
November 9th, 2021, 06:18 PM
I have a funny story from all the way back in 7th grade and I was desperately wanting one of those emo punk cuts that I had been seeing all over MySpace. I don’t really know how to describe it properly but it was like thing ends and super layered at the top, but it looked really amazing (to me at the time). After much pleading my mom finally let me go to the salon and when it came to it I showed them a reference picture and the lady who cut my hair processed to do an attempt I’ll give her that… but the end result was so far off from the reference picture my mom had to leave the salon in horror because she didn’t have the heart to tell me I looked completely botched. She had basically given me a mullet and the length at the front of my head came to right above my ears!! I didn’t know any better and I think I even said I liked it after but truth is I was horrified. Nonetheless the next day when I had school I showed up with it styled and tried to rock the mullet to the best of my ability but then the school principal came up to me and the other kids like he would do to joke around and when he noticed me he just opened his mouth in shock and said “did you lose a bet? “ I think I was equally shocked that he said that and it was like the second after he realised how messed up it was of him to say it and tried to joke it off and basically rushed away from the scene but it was far to late because I heard it and so did my friends and that was it for me and my hair. I made my mom get me extensions the same weekend and proceeded to wear them for the next two years.
Now I look back and laugh at what he said and look at it as a funny memory but oh my did those words haunt me for a long time.

Ylva
November 10th, 2021, 02:03 AM
7up, that is absolutely disgusting behaviour of your principal. I'm glad if you can laugh at it now but it makes me so mad because I also experienced bullying from a teacher back in the day.

Jools69
November 10th, 2021, 02:20 AM
This was the mid 80s when perms were in and I had seen girls at school with spiral perms. I wanted one, but didn’t know what it was called. So when my mother took me to the hairdresser, I called it a ‘long hair perm’. The hairdresser was adamant that I needed it cut short and layered, but I refused. As I wanted to keep my long hair. I think it was below shoulders - perhaps APL at the time. She then proceeded to wrap my hair for a ‘normal’ short perm and it came out all frizzy. She then said I need it cut. I still refused. I had to walk home alone, as the salon was only a few blocks away. My mother laugh at me when she saw it and phoned the hairdresser to get it then cut, so that I wouldn’t be teased at school.

Poinsettia
November 10th, 2021, 02:46 AM
My worst hair cut that I regret was when I was 13/14, because I wanted to look cool. (Don't we all make bad decisions based on looking cool?)

My hair back then was BSL if I remember right and my mom was constantly telling me that I should get a hair cut because I wasn't doing anything with it. Looking back on it I don't know why my mom told me this, it was actually very pretty even if "I didn't do anything with it".

But well I thought about it, yes a drastic change would be nice, and saw how Paris Jackson looked back then: she had this very short but long layered pixie cut in 2013 (on her it looked really nice!) and so I kept that picture to show it to the hair dresser and well... it didn't go as planned. Instead of looking cool I looked like a weird boy at the end of it. Also I was only 14, didn't wear makeup at all and that made it not easier to look like a girl, I think. The layers were also way too short and I had to try really hard to hold my tears back.

I was not happy about that cut. To make matters worse the next day my school class had a field trip and most people didn't recognize me at first, hahah. At least now I know that a pixie cut does not suit me at all. I'm not sure if the experience was worth it, just to learn that it doesn't look good on me, because it actually made my self confidence drop very low, I did not feel good at all, for at least 2 years. Growing that out was a pain too, especially because my hair is a little wavy and back then I didn't have a straightener. Gave me some weird mammoth tusk waves in the front that just didn't want to get straight no matter what I tried.

The next hair cut I regret is also my latest, hahah. But it's fine I only cut it to a short bob length and that is a lot better to grow out than a pixie cut, even though it still takes forever to do so. To conclude this: short hair just isn't my thing.

Celestarella
November 10th, 2021, 04:36 AM
I have a funny story from all the way back in 7th grade and I was desperately wanting one of those emo punk cuts that I had been seeing all over MySpace. I don’t really know how to describe it properly but it was like thing ends and super layered at the top, but it looked really amazing (to me at the time). After much pleading my mom finally let me go to the salon and when it came to it I showed them a reference picture and the lady who cut my hair processed to do an attempt I’ll give her that… but the end result was so far off from the reference picture my mom had to leave the salon in horror because she didn’t have the heart to tell me I looked completely botched. She had basically given me a mullet and the length at the front of my head came to right above my ears!! I didn’t know any better and I think I even said I liked it after but truth is I was horrified. Nonetheless the next day when I had school I showed up with it styled and tried to rock the mullet to the best of my ability but then the school principal came up to me and the other kids like he would do to joke around and when he noticed me he just opened his mouth in shock and said “did you lose a bet? “ I think I was equally shocked that he said that and it was like the second after he realised how messed up it was of him to say it and tried to joke it off and basically rushed away from the scene but it was far to late because I heard it and so did my friends and that was it for me and my hair. I made my mom get me extensions the same weekend and proceeded to wear them for the next two years.
Now I look back and laugh at what he said and look at it as a funny memory but oh my did those words haunt me for a long time.

I had emo/punk hair back in the day! So many stylists were afraid to even attempt it!