PDA

View Full Version : SMT dried out my hair?

jezebel17
December 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Since it is getting pretty cold here in NYC my hair seemed to be lacking moisture so I did a smt. I used VO5 condish, aloe from a plant, and honey. I left it on for about 3 hours with a shower cap and winter hat on. When I rinsed the treatment out my hair felt normal, but started feeling brittle and dried out as it dried. Could the honey have anything to do with this since it is winter here?

christine1989
December 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Aloe actually dried out my hair the first few times I used it. After using it more my hair seemed to get used to it but the first time my hair ended up poofy and dry.

HintOfMint
December 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Honey is a humectant which is great for hair when there is enough moisture in the air. Humectants work by balancing moisture levels between itself and the air, so often it is drawing moisture from the air, inwards. However, when it is very dry, the humectant will draw moisture out of the hair and into the air. SMTs, at least outside of a steamy bathroom, are not a great choice for winter.

Athena's Owl
December 7th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I was just going to reply with what hint of mint said. :)

instead of using honey and aloe in your winter SMTs, I reccomend doing a heavy application of coconut oil, baggying your head, and then wrapping your head up in a warm towel - and then after one to eight hours of this, do a nice CO or CWC wash.

emollient moisturizers are much better for winter.

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Once a product that contains a humectant is rinsed off the hair, it is not going to dry the hair out under conditions of no humidity. Some of it may remain on the hair but not in the quantity to do that.

Your result was most likely because of the honey. Some, not all honeys, can leave a residue on the hair (this has nothing to do with honey having humectant properties and is probably about honey filtering and the removal of beeswax particles), that has been reported here on the boards, to cause the exact same result you have, under all kinds of humidity conditions.

It is best removed with shampoo, based on reports in the Honey thread and when done so, the dryness is a temporary condition. Sometimes, more than one shampooing is required. It makes no difference whether the honey used is raw or pasteurized. It can happen with either kind.

duh_its_Sarah
December 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
^I wonder if I should try it then still in the winter......

Annalouise
December 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I'm having the same experience with honey. Thanks Ktani and everyone for explaining why that is. I heard honey is conditioning but I experience it to be drying.

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'm having the same experience with honey. Thanks Ktani and everyone for explaining why that is. I heard honey is conditioning but I experience it to be drying.

You are most welcome!

From all of the descriptions I have read on the boards here with this result "hard feeling hair" etc. I believe that it is because of beeswax. When the residue is removed with shampoo? Soft glossy hair. If the hair were really being dried out instead of coated, that would not be the case. And from descriptions of beeswax used on hair? They match this result perfectly.

princessp
December 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I had the same problem and have since stopped using it for this reason. HintOfMint Thanks for the tip about winter and moisture. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the Spring.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Honey has never dried out my hair, but I have read that aloe can be very drying.

I use a honey and olive oil mask, you should try that and see if it helps at all.

Here is the link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60898

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
You are most welcome!

From all of the descriptions I have read on the boards here with this result "hard feeling hair" etc. I believe that it is because of beeswax. When the residue is removed with shampoo? Soft glossy hair. If the hair were really being dried out instead of coated, that would not be the case. And from descriptions of beeswax used on hair? They match this result perfectly.

I agree with this, if I don't shampoo after using a honey treatment, my hair does not feel good.

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I agree with this, if I don't shampoo after using a honey treatment, my hair does not feel good.

It is the only explantion that makes sense to me because this result has happened in humid summer weather too, with a honey lightening treatment. Humidity has 0 to do with it, in my opinion.

Tia2010
December 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
My hair doesn't seem to like aloe in my SMT, it makes my hair feel dry. Have you tried leaving out the aloe to see if you get a better reaction?

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM
My hair doesn't seem to like aloe in my SMT, it makes my hair feel dry. So maybe it's the aloe and not the honey? Have you tried leaving out the aloe?

While this may happen with aloe (which can build-up on hair), this kind of result has been reported from doing honey lightening treatments all year round, with no aloe present because it is not recommended for honey lightening (it contains Vitamin C), using just honey and distilled water (other honey lightening treatments include spices and oils). It does not always happen. It depends on the honey used.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Is there an SMT post/blog I'm missing somewhere?

ktani
December 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Is there an SMT post/blog I'm missing somewhere?

There are different honey filtering methods used to remove impurities like beeswax particles from fresh honey. They involve different filter "sizes" etc. from fine to super fine mesh and more.

Check out the posting dates - July - this is just one example - it was not the cinnamon!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=678368&postcount=3950
"I have a problem, how do I get it completely off my hair? It feels horrible and I can't finger comb it without cringing..."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=678392&postcount=3951
"I do not know what recipe you used but no matter. I would try shampoo, followed by a vinegar rinse. It sounds like honey residue."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=678438&postcount=3954
"Thank you, I hope it helps. I used cinammon, distilled water and honey."

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=681216&postcount=3965
"I just washed my hair and it ended up beautiful."

aenflex
December 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I never had sucess using AVG in my SMT's :( I use honey/conditioner/coconut oil instead.
60% condish
20% honey
20% coconut

little_cherry
December 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM
If honey is an issue, Maple syrup is a wonderful substitute.

Anje
December 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
If honey is an issue, Maple syrup is a wonderful substitute.
Agreed. But if you can't get the real stuff (or don't want to waste it on hair because it's expensive), the fake pancake syrup stuff works too (and smells interesting but yummy). So does corn syrup. And molasses.

jezebel17
December 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Now that I think about it I didnt rinse out the SMT too well. However, my hair was more or less back to normal by the next day. I did a deep oil treatment with my coconut oil last night before cwc and my hair is super soft today.

Im going to try SMT with condish and aloe only to see whether the honey or aloe is the problem.