PDA

View Full Version : Recs for vacuum cleaner under $200?

Curlsgirl
December 6th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Ours is completely fried but I can't afford to spend a fortune on a fancy one. Of course I have the problem that all long hairs have of the hair getting wound around the roller and being hard to get out. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

christine1989
December 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have gone through a ton of vacuums and from (A LOT) of experiance I can say that anything under $200 is going to be very prone to breaking and probobly won't last longer than a few years (at the very most). I would reccomend trying to find a good quality used vacuume like an Oreck or Kirby. You could get a much lower price and still end up with a vacuume that will clean well and last without constant trips to the repair shop. I have an Oreck and it is 6 years old and hasn't been to the repair shop once :). Pretty good for a vacuume.

MandyBeth
December 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Dyson is expensive, but ever so worth it. PLUS, they have a handy dandy slot in the bar to run scissors (or a seam ripper) so you can get rid of the hair.

Under $200 - they will all break rapidly. I am the queen of murdering vacuums. I've killed a Kirby, Oreck, um, any brand just about. My Dyson, he's trucking right along.

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
DYSON!!! (^(oo)^)v

Basically, if you spend under $200 on a vacuum cleaner, it will break in a year, and you'll have to buy another one. After 2 years you'll be in the same place as if you'd just bought a Dyson in the first place. Not only does the brushbar on the Dyson have grooves, as mandybeth pointed out, it actually detaches completely from the cleanerhead assembly, which means no more fumbling around on the floor, trying to rotate the bar with your fingers to get the hair unraveled. Instead you ca just pull the brushbar off, hold it over a trash can, cut all the hair off right into the trash, and then put it back (^(oo)^)

girlcat36
December 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have this model by Eureka; I've had it for two years. I have really bad indoor allergies and this vaccuum is a good value for the price:
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-6500A-Airextreme-Canister-Filtration/dp/B000X3CNTK
You can remove the wand from the power nozzle by stepping on a lever at the power head. That is what really sold me. A wand that does not detach is a deal breaker for me!
If you really want to save some money this is an awesome vaccuum for the price point:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020BQGK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DASBI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RR8ARSFAM6YTWC43V8P
I can't say enough about it--I am in love with this cheapie vaccuum! It even has a powered nozzle. It's my 'upstairs' vaccuum.
Yes, I have both vaccuums. I vaccuum a lot.

In a perfect world, I would have a Rainbow, but they are prohibitively expensive.
As for hair winding around in beater bars, I just use a pair of manicure scissors every now and then and cut all the hair free. Takes just a minute.

CurlyGirlCa
December 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I have the pet Dyson (purple). I love it but my husband and son hate it - which wouldn't necessarily matter, but they do the weekly vacuuming. (Not up to my standards - but I'm not doing it - so I keep my trap zipped!)

estherbeth
December 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure how awesome it is, but I've seen the Shark Navigator vacuum advertised a lot lately, and it seems really good, according to most reviews I've seen. Under $200, too ($159 on Amazon, for instance). My vacuum cleaner just went up in smoke (literally - I tried to vacuum yesterday morning and smoke began boiling out) and I want one.:cheese:

Curlsgirl
December 7th, 2010, 05:52 AM
DYSON!!! (^(oo)^)v

Basically, if you spend under $200 on a vacuum cleaner, it will break in a year, and you'll have to buy another one. After 2 years you'll be in the same place as if you'd just bought a Dyson in the first place. Not only does the brushbar on the Dyson have grooves, as mandybeth pointed out, it actually detaches completely from the cleanerhead assembly, which means no more fumbling around on the floor, trying to rotate the bar with your fingers to get the hair unraveled. Instead you ca just pull the brushbar off, hold it over a trash can, cut all the hair off right into the trash, and then put it back (^(oo)^)

Are particular Dyson models better for hair picking up? :)

spidermom
December 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
My vacuum is high priced, but I just wanted to say Hi Curlsgirl, haven't seen you around in months and months. Happy holidays!

Curlsgirl
December 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
My vacuum is high priced, but I just wanted to say Hi Curlsgirl, haven't seen you around in months and months. Happy holidays!

:crush: HI SPIDERMOM!

StephanieB
December 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Are particular Dyson models better for hair picking up? :)
Yes!

The Dyson Animal (purple ball, not yellow) is designed better than other Dysons, for picking up pet hair.

Anything under $200 is going to break down within a short period of time, especially if you have dogs or cats or other furry pets, long hair or several long-haired people, and/or a lot of kids traipsing in and out. That's just the way it is.

I bought my Dyson Animal on a very good sale (it was a refurbished) on Overstock.com. The last time I looked, they still had plenty of those.

My suggestion - save every penny you have until you can afford to buy one of the better quality vacuums. Do without just about everything you pay for to get that vacuum. You won't be sorry!

Curlsgirl
December 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Okay just bought a Oreck XL gold. I'll let you all know how it does!