PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin for hair?

terrylillyd
December 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know anything about the using gelatin for healthy hair? What kind would you buy? How do you take it? Eat it, take supplements, put it on topically? How does it help your hair

I made the mistake of using cellophane in my hair when I got my roots done right before Halloween. I guess the 2 chemical treatments was too much for my hair to take, it has been breaking off :( I'm so depressed it has taken me so long to grow long hair that was healthy and unbroken. I'm too sad to take pics of my hair. I have been using coconut oil, I have some jojoba oil on it's way and now I am wondering about gelatin. I'm doing anything I can too save my hair.

littlenvy
December 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I took gelatin capsules for about 3 weeks. The time was too short to judge if it did anything for my hair. The problem was that gelatin capsules made me stink! I mean STINK! I guess I should have known since its made from animal byproduct like hooves and ears and snouts.

I have been doing some gelatin treatments directly to my hair; and while I like the after effect, I can't really tell if it helps or not.
If you want to know ...In a teacup I disolve half a packet of Knox clear unsweetened gelatin in cold water and then add more hot water. Dip my hair in that (just the lenght)until it becomes all covered. Take it out and wrap it in a ziplock beg. You do not want it to dry on your hair. Keep it on for about half an hour. Rinse out, condition really well and then rinse out the conditioner.

I have also tried adding it to conditioner .... and all I have to say about that is DON'T do it. It will make your conditioner super thinck and nothing else.

Some people mix gelatin with their shampoo. I haven't tired that.

1hunky5monkeys
December 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Here's a link to a previous thread that may be helpful to you about gelatin. Good luck with your hair! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22715&highlight=Gelatin

LaurelSpring
December 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I used Knox for Nails for awhile and I believe that I did see an increase in growth. These are just packets that you dissolve in water and drink. Very easy.