PDA

View Full Version : 2b-F/M-ii-hair care routines

1hunky5monkeys
December 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
If there is already a thread for this, someone please direct me there. :)

I'm looking for those of you with the same/similar hair typing as myself. I'm trying to figure out what my hair prefers. :confused: I'd love to hear of what does/doesn't work for your hair in regards to products, washing, drying, oiling (types of oil, etc.)even hair toys. :) Does your hair like cones, protein? What wash method do you use? (i.e. CWC, CO, WO.........) I'd love to hear your complete hair care routine.

TIA!

lovinmylife
December 6th, 2010, 06:25 PM
:wave: hello there! I am 2b/c, F/M, and ii and recently I have not been doing a whole lot to my hair! lol. I have had a MASSSSIVE shed (and am waiting for some more test results to come back), so hte less the better right now. I felt like I was going bald! Even though I know I wasn't.. I could definitely tell that my hair was thinning, etc. I feel like I might be on the road to recovery now though.

But as of currently, I have been using Cones, on and off. If I use no cones my hair tends to get dry, so I was my hair 2-3xs a week one or twice no cones, and once cones. Or I have recently been using nioxin as a shampoo (for thinning hair) and then a hydratiing conditioner and that seems to be going good.

My hair seems to get curlier in the winter. lol. So.. Im not really sure what I will be doing. hahha. I don't want to use products in my hair until im sure im not going to lose all of my hair. :(

So I have been using headbands for going out, or just letting my hair be natural (and crazy, and curly! lol), and braiding my hair at night. Nothing too exciting, but hopefully my hair continues to get more healthy then I can start doing fun things again! :)

1hunky5monkeys
December 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
:wave: hello there! I am 2b/c, F/M, and ii and recently I have not been doing a whole lot to my hair! lol. I have had a MASSSSIVE shed (and am waiting for some more test results to come back), so hte less the better right now. I felt like I was going bald! Even though I know I wasn't.. I could definitely tell that my hair was thinning, etc. I feel like I might be on the road to recovery now though.

But as of currently, I have been using Cones, on and off. If I use no cones my hair tends to get dry, so I was my hair 2-3xs a week one or twice no cones, and once cones. Or I have recently been using nioxin as a shampoo (for thinning hair) and then a hydratiing conditioner and that seems to be going good.

My hair seems to get curlier in the winter. lol. So.. Im not really sure what I will be doing. hahha. I don't want to use products in my hair until im sure im not going to lose all of my hair. :(

So I have been using headbands for going out, or just letting my hair be natural (and crazy, and curly! lol), and braiding my hair at night. Nothing too exciting, but hopefully my hair continues to get more healthy then I can start doing fun things again! :)

Hi! :)
Sorry to hear about the shedding. :( I know how devastating a massive shed can be. I experienced it the first three months after delivering each of my babies. Not fun at all! Then I experienced it another time and had testing done. They found my b12 level was very low and put me on shots. I'm not sure if that was causing my shedding- though it did stop soon after.

Hopefully your testing will reveal the cause. :grouphug:

To me there's nothing more annoying about having problems than not knowing why you're having them! :confused:

einna
December 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi :) My hair is 2a/2b, F to F/M, ii. It is naturally dry, with waves mostly in my "underhair". Its layered, with the longest part just APL. My goal is BSL or maybe waist.

My hair care routine is not settled yet, I have been changing it a lot in the last months. After joining here, I have decided to uphold the two-week rule before more changes.

- Wash every 3-4 day, just started CWC.
- Occationaly deep rinse.
- Leave in conditioner or oil (coconut, biosilk).
- Deep conditioning treatment once a week (Joico k-pak).
- Protein treatment in ends every 3 weeks (Joico k-pak).
- Rinse out with cold water.
- Very little heat and styling products.
- Use cones.
- Regular trims (every 3 months).
- Growing out virgin hair.

Things I plan to try soon:
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Sleep with braids (just getting long enough).
- Jojoba oil.
- Satin pillowcase and braids.

Long term plans:
- More organic/natural products.
- Cut sulfate.
- Try cone free products.
- Try CO.

Kyaatje
December 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hi :waving:

I'm trying not to wash to often (dry-ish hair) So I think I wash every 5 days or so.
atm I'm applying Nightblooming's triple moon anointing oil on my scalp and coconut oil on my lenght the night before I wash. I use lots of oil braid my hair and sleep :p
I wash with a shampoo bar (cv or sch and once every 2 months godiva from lush as clarifier)
and then I wrap my hair in a towel for a bit and put a tiny bit of Nightblooming's panacea on my ends and my lenght.
Then I let it air dry. If I go to work I sometimes dry it with a blow-dryer but I try to avoid that.
And in the days after I sometimes use Aloe Vera or coconut oil or panacea as needed

hth

1hunky5monkeys
December 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My routine is not yet settled either! :justy: I have tried CWC-no bad results, just not quite satisfied. I am currently doing CO, which my hair seems to really like. I mix VO5 pomegranate conditioner with biolage conditioning balm. Yesterday I followed with ACV rinse that was mostly water with 1 tblsp ACV. The result was clean, soft, shiney hair. :)
As far as oils go, I use coconut mainly. I recently started using EVOO-the only problem is-my hair must reeeeaaallllyyy like it! No matter how much I apply, my hair soaks it all up. I've tried applying it on dry and wet hair with the same results. It makes my hair really soft though. :shrug:

Kyaatje
December 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
LOL how even hair that is technically alike can love different things !
My hair doesn't like co, and I had to give up on acv rinces because I got really crunchy ends ! Oh and olive oil : also a no go for me : it feels like my hair gets coated and it is really hard getting it out. The only moment my hair seems to like it is in a deep conditioning treatment or added to henna :rolleyes:

1hunky5monkeys
December 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
LOL how even hair that is technically alike can love different things !
My hair doesn't like co, and I had to give up on acv rinces because I got really crunchy ends ! Oh and olive oil : also a no go for me : it feels like my hair gets coated and it is really hard getting it out. The only moment my hair seems to like it is in a deep conditioning treatment or added to henna :rolleyes:

The first time I tried ACV rinse, I mixed it 3 parts water/ 1 part ACV. It made my ends crunchy too. Now I mix 1 tbsp to about 32 ozs water. I do this once a week.

I'm also no cones or protein right now. Maybe that has something to do with results? IDK. :shrug:

Kyaatje
December 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
The first time I tried ACV rinse, I mixed it 3 parts water/ 1 part ACV. It made my ends crunchy too. Now I mix 1 tbsp to about 32 ozs water. I do this once a week.

I'm also no cones or protein right now. Maybe that has something to do with results? IDK. :shrug:

I experimented with very little to a lot of acv but with the same results, I didn't want to give up because with hard water and soapbased shampoo I always thought a acid rinse was necessary ... but my hair is much happier now I stopped :confused:

I haven't used cones in over 5 years or so, so that is not it. The protein I'm not sure, I never thought about protein before I came to LHC but I don't think it is in the shampoo

Oh well, I'm not always sure about the why but I listen to my hair and keep it happy even if I don't understand the mechanics :p

jaine
December 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
My hair is 2c, F/m, ii or iii. I really like drying it in an updo with gel, to smooth it out and loosen the waves. I've been doing that since pixie length (minus the updo when it was too short for that)

My hair also seems to dry out very easily and it's impossible to "weigh it down" unless I haven't washed it in almost a week. So I use a lot of conditioner, and leave-in conditioner, and when I use shampoo it's heavily diluted with conditioner. A few years ago I used cones but if I avoid drying it out then I don't seem to need them any more.

maxzeen
December 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I am a 2c. I do a CO wash with White Rain conditioner coconut scent (smells good!) on my scalp and a heavier more moisturizing conditioner on my length. I do this about three times a week, depending on how my hair is. I also use coconut oil the night before I wash. HTH!:)

1hunky5monkeys
December 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I experimented with very little to a lot of acv but with the same results, I didn't want to give up because with hard water and soapbased shampoo I always thought a acid rinse was necessary ... but my hair is much happier now I stopped :confused:

I haven't used cones in over 5 years or so, so that is not it. The protein I'm not sure, I never thought about protein before I came to LHC but I don't think it is in the shampoo

Oh well, I'm not always sure about the why but I listen to my hair and keep it happy even if I don't understand the mechanics :p

Definitely listen to you hair. Gotta keep it happy!!! :flower: