PDA

View Full Version : Any other 3a curlies?

jesis
December 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hey ladies, I'm new here and I was wondering if there are any other 3a curlies out there. I've only seen a few on posts here.

I notice in my hair that there are a lot of fluctuations. One day I might have giant, perfect spiral curls and the next day I will have large, loose waves. I do the same routine every time I shower. I tried plunking, but it made my curls tighter and I really prefer my big curls.

Any suggestions on how to get these everyday? Also, how can I get my hair to dry faster. It takes WAY too long, especially with winter creeping up on us. I would prefer not to have to wash everyday, and I asked for satin pillowcases for Christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

girlcat36
December 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM
There's lots of us! Here's a good thread for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

jesis
December 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks so much :D

Cailie
December 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Me Me !! I'm a 3a with curls !

but I don't master the curl styling very well and I don't like the tight curls that plopping gives me either ... I usually dry my hair in bun waves, which gives me something like 2b/c hair ...

I'll be reading this thread too ! :D

jesis
December 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM
That thread is 418 pages long, lol. There are a ton of curlies here. :D

jeanniet
December 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm a 3a. My siggy pic doesn't show much curl, but my hair is like yours--the degree of curl varies from day to day (and so does the length, lol). Generally I'll have a mix of spirals and waves. I have to admit I'm pretty lazy about my hair and just live with what it does for the most part. I use a very wide-toothed comb and that's usually pretty good about keeping the curl in, but other than that I don't put much effort into it.

Faster drying is something I'd like to achieve but it's not going to happen with the amount of hair I have. I use two T-shirts with a Turbie Twist on top (first one T-shirt, then the other) to absorb the bulk of the water, and then I leave my hair loose to air dry. It still takes about five hours in the winter. I just try to wash when I know I won't have to go out right away.

cmnt831
December 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am, though as my hair has gotten longer, the curls are pulling straighter and just corkscrew on the ends. Although some will "rope" all the way up. :) Have a look in my album if you want to see how my hair can vary - from 1c to 3a. :p Best curls happen on wash day and unless it's super humid, they start to turn to waves on day 2.

jesis
December 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm a 3a. My siggy pic doesn't show much curl, but my hair is like yours--the degree of curl varies from day to day (and so does the length, lol). Generally I'll have a mix of spirals and waves. I have to admit I'm pretty lazy about my hair and just live with what it does for the most part. I use a very wide-toothed comb and that's usually pretty good about keeping the curl in, but other than that I don't put much effort into it.

Faster drying is something I'd like to achieve but it's not going to happen with the amount of hair I have. I use two T-shirts with a Turbie Twist on top (first one T-shirt, then the other) to absorb the bulk of the water, and then I leave my hair loose to air dry. It still takes about five hours in the winter. I just try to wash when I know I won't have to go out right away.

When do you comb? I only like to comb during conditioning in the shower, if I comb any time after that I tend to lose curl, but since I'm new to curling (I was a flat-iron addict for years) I'm open to suggestions.

I've noticed I can't put my hair in anything to help it to dry or it changes the texture of my curls. If I put it in a towel, it makes them frizzy, but if I put it in a t-shirt or Turbie Twist, it makes them too curly for my taste.

I am, though as my hair has gotten longer, the curls are pulling straighter and just corkscrew on the ends. Although some will "rope" all the way up. :) Have a look in my album if you want to see how my hair can vary - from 1c to 3a. :p Best curls happen on wash day and unless it's super humid, they start to turn to waves on day 2.

Ahh!! I don't want to lose any curl as my hair gets longer :(!! But I have pretty thin hair and I get trims often so I hope that helps me to keep my big spiral waves.

princessp
December 6th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Me! Well sometimes anyway. The longer my hair gets the more 2C it becomes. So at the moment I classify mine as both.

cmnt831
December 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Ahh!! I don't want to lose any curl as my hair gets longer :(!! But I have pretty thin hair and I get trims often so I hope that helps me to keep my big spiral waves.

Part of my curl problem is that my underlayer is 1c and only the canopy is 3a, so it doesn't have full support, so to speak. But at bsl, my spirals were lovely - if I do say so myself. :D Right now, I'm seeing how long it will grow, so the curls will have to take less priority. Some time, I may go shorter and enjoy the curls, instead.

jeanniet
December 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I comb before the shower to get out any tangles, but not in it, because for some reason I seem to lose more hair. Then I comb again when my hair is almost dry, very gently. This does pull out some of the curl, but not a lot, and usually it curls back up again overnight.

I suppose I should try combing in the shower again, now that I have a different comb, but then I'm doing herbal rinses and I don't know how it would work with those.

CurlyGirlCa
December 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I've given up trying to make my hair do anything. I'm just along for the ride. Also second day looks different than first day.

I wash it a night and 1st day) then mist it in the morning and scrunch it with curl liquid and sculpting foam.

2nd day) use Deva Curl Refresher then scrunch - usually enough product that I don't have to add anything more. I just recently got the KMS Salt Spray - also good for second day (not first day) mist lightly (not too much) and scrunch and it looks pretty nice.

I find the days that I think it looks crappy are usually the days I get the most compliments - I don't know why.

Nera
December 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I didn't lose any curl when it got longer!

And for the spiral thing and the drying;
It's really trying out different things and see what you like.
For example, my hair always get's really shiny with big curls if I sleep with damp hair.
When I want it to dry faster, i seperate my hair in different sections every few minutes. I just flip the hair over from one side to the other and change this. But this doesn't give those nice curls. Good luck with it and I'm glad you can see that there are a lot of curlies here! (:

milagro
December 7th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm 3a as well. Now that my hair is longer it tends to get some 2c areas. I remember when my hair was waist/TB it was totally big waves with curling ends (last 3-4 inches).
I have the same problem, it's impossible to predict how the hair behaves any certain day. Sometimes it is neat big curls, sometimes poofy waves, and generally a mix of the two. I guess it depends on weather, cycle, star alignment :D as well as routine.
For me the best is diffusing but I do it very seldom because my hair hates heat. Not combing is good for the curls but makes the top untidy especially if I plop - my hair naturally lays in a very messy way and plopping only increases that. So everytime after air-dry I have a dilemma whether comb and ruin curls or let them hang in disorder all around my head. Now I comb and scrunch ends only with a little water and mousse. Any suggestions about curl preservation, fellow curlies?

ETA I put my today's hair in the siggy :) You can see it's not the best but quite average I should say.
It doesn't show for some reason, tho.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm 3a as well. Now that my hair is longer it tends to get some 2c areas. I remember when my hair was waist/TB it was totally big waves with curling ends (last 3-4 inches).
I have the same problem, it's impossible to predict how the hair behaves any certain day. Sometimes it is neat big curls, sometimes poofy waves, and generally a mix of the two. I guess it depends on weather, cycle, star alignment :D as well as routine.
For me the best is diffusing but I do it very seldom because my hair hates heat. Not combing is good for the curls but makes the top untidy especially if I plop - my hair naturally lays in a very messy way and plopping only increases that. So everytime after air-dry I have a dilemma whether comb and ruin curls or let them hang in disorder all around my head. Now I comb and scrunch ends only with a little water and mousse. Any suggestions about curl preservation, fellow curlies?

ETA I put my today's hair in the siggy :) You can see it's not the best but quite average I should say.
It doesn't show for some reason, tho.

What I usually do to get my curls to lay perfectly is comb and part my hair in the shower. Then I put in my oil and my gel RIGHT when I get out of the shower (my hair is still dripping wet). I drape an old t-shirt over my shoulder and let them airdry. When they are completely dry, they are crunchy, so I use a moisturizing lotion to scrunch my hair up again and get it all out. I never run a comb through my hair between showers.

Hope that helps!

I didn't lose any curl when it got longer!

And for the spiral thing and the drying;
It's really trying out different things and see what you like.
For example, my hair always get's really shiny with big curls if I sleep with damp hair.
When I want it to dry faster, i seperate my hair in different sections every few minutes. I just flip the hair over from one side to the other and change this. But this doesn't give those nice curls. Good luck with it and I'm glad you can see that there are a lot of curlies here! (:

I'm glad to hear that someone didn't lose any curl. I see you have 3b curls, too, and I can see them in the picture, so I'm wondering if with my only 3a curls I might lose it. I'm just starting to love my curls, I really don't want to lose them! I guess we'll see.

I've given up trying to make my hair do anything. I'm just along for the ride. Also second day looks different than first day.

I wash it a night and 1st day) then mist it in the morning and scrunch it with curl liquid and sculpting foam.

2nd day) use Deva Curl Refresher then scrunch - usually enough product that I don't have to add anything more. I just recently got the KMS Salt Spray - also good for second day (not first day) mist lightly (not too much) and scrunch and it looks pretty nice.

I find the days that I think it looks crappy are usually the days I get the most compliments - I don't know why.

My hair stylist told me not to use Deva Curl unless I came personally into her and let her "show" me how to use it. She said it would do more harm than good to my hair if I used it incorrectly. I'm still not sure if I believe her, but I'm an avid NaturallyCurly.com user (it's my most visited site, but this one is slowly creeping up on it) and I have only heard good things about it. I really want to try it, especially the curl refresher.

milagro
December 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM
What I usually do to get my curls to lay perfectly is comb and part my hair in the shower. Then I put in my oil and my gel RIGHT when I get out of the shower (my hair is still dripping wet). I drape an old t-shirt over my shoulder and let them airdry. When they are completely dry, they are crunchy, so I use a moisturizing lotion to scrunch my hair up again and get it all out. I never run a comb through my hair between showers.

Hope that helps!

Yes thank you. I don't like wet combing but I think I will try just arranging hair sections in the shower and no plopping, just scrunch and airdry.
BTW I never get the infamous crunch, is it good or bad? Does it affect curls formation or preservation? I use med-hold mousse, not gel.

Margeaux
December 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Me :) I define my hair as 2c/3a but I must be the curliest 2c on here :P

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Yes thank you. I don't like wet combing but I think I will try just arranging hair sections in the shower and no plopping, just scrunch and airdry.
BTW I never get the infamous crunch, is it good or bad? Does it affect curls formation or preservation? I use med-hold mousse, not gel.

I'm not sure about the crunch, it's probably a good thing. I can decrunch my hair and then throughout the day it will get bigger and bigger. Not necessarily frizzy, just more volume, and I don't mind that at all! I would personally think that the crunch would only be there to allow curl preservation, but it could also be that I am using too much gel. I'm still new to this, though.

Plopping never did anything for my hair to be quite honest. I plopped and left it in the t-shirt for 4 hours once and when I took it out, the curls were just tighter and my hair was still wet. It dried frizzier and the curls were oddly formed.

Scrunching and airdrying has always worked the best for me to get my giant curls.

Here are pictures of my left and right sides today. I showered about 2 hours ago and just did my normal routine. My hair is still kind of wet and crunchy, so that's why it seems so flat, but it usually gains volume throughout the day, like I mentioned before. I have a straight strand here and there sometimes and I contribute that to using my flat iron about once a month.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2010-12-07at10183.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2010-12-07at10184.jpg

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM
What kind of updos does anybody do for their curly hair?

milagro
December 7th, 2010, 09:51 AM
jesis, that's adorable :flower:
Your clumps are rather big, do you comb through the length and with what? If I comb wet I get stringy, though tighter, curls.

What kind of updos does anybody do for their curly hair?
Normally a bun or ponytail, half-up sometimes. If I'm in the mood I can do braids but it takes a lot of time and gel for all these layers.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
jesis, that's adorable :flower:
Your clumps are rather big, do you comb through the length and with what? If I comb wet I get stringy, though tighter, curls.

Thanks so much :D

I use a really wide tooth comb while I have conditioner in my hair. I've read that for curly hair, the best time to comb is only when slathered in regular, or deep, conditioner. I rinse my hair afterwards, that way I have all of the tangles out, but I don't really affect the shape of my hair.

I think I get the bigger clumps because I put my oil and gel in right away when I get out of the shower, that way it doesn't have a chance to dry into smaller pieces.

Hope this helps :D