PDA

View Full Version : Hair circumference q?

feb26
December 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I just measured my hair today, it's as thick as my thumb...does this mean I am now a ii or how does this work? Hair is still quite fine.

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
If your pony circumference is only a thumb width, than I would say you are the thinnest type in the classifiers...
I'm right there with you, my pony circumference is maybe equal to two thumb widths.

Loreley
December 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
According to Fia's hairtyping system:

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

I think your hair is rather on the thin side.

feb26
December 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM
See this is where I'm confused..when french braided the thickness is 1 thumb. When up in a pony its almost 2 thumbs...I suspect this is because all the hair strands are pushed together, does this make a difference?? have repeatedly been told my hair is fine but acts thick, "like a sponge"...I am half Portugeuse, half Russian/German heritage.

PrincessBob
December 6th, 2010, 11:55 AM
When my hair is braided it just seems to get thicker in circumference.

Night_Kitten
December 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I think the ponytale sercumfence is the one that counts for the typing, because then all the hair is together and the measurement is more accurate

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
You may have thin and coarse hair? It took me a long time to figure out that my hair was thin/coarse and not thick/fine as I always thought and was told it was. So many stylists have commented on the thickness of my hair, when in reality there are NOT a lot of strands on my head, but the ones that are there are thick and slightly coarse.
Aside from helping compare routine and narrow down fundamentals, I don't see the big deal with hairtyping anyway. The key is to find what works for you :)

Carolyn
December 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Did you measure with a tape measure or are you just guesstimating? Measuring with a real tape measure will tell you exactly where you are. Measure around the base of your ponytail but not over an elastic.

feb26
December 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thumb is guesstimate; just measured as described (thank you!!) 1"