PDA

View Full Version : The worse stage in hair for styling

allmixedup88
December 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM
My worse stages would have to be pixie to CL & CL to SL
I had to straighten and flat iron my hair everyday or it looked hideous, which made a process, which should have taken only a year take years!!! CL was cute b/c I had a bob, which I ended up hating/resenting so I had to grow it out. Now I am inbetween SL and APL and my hair is much easier to style, I am heat free (minus my bangs) & I can wear it curly and free....

Now you've heard my story.... what were (was) your worse stage(s) for styling

miss_purple
December 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I would say the multiple layers between nose line and shoulders.

Coan-Teen
December 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
SL, absolutely. My hair will dry in whatever shape it sits in so if I don't carefully monitor my hair the entire time it's drying, it will stick out in crazy directions with weird bumps. Can you tell I'm in that phase now? :)

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Growing out a pixe from 2 inches of hair to about 10-12 inches.

Eireann
December 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I would agree with pixie to chin, because you can't pull it back. I trimmed a LOT to keep the layers looking nice and to avoid the mullet look (not that there's anything wrong with a mullet, if you like it. . .it's not for me though.) Fortunately, my stylist at the time was also growing out a pixie, so she was very sympathetic.

little_cherry
December 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
For me? Anywhere between pixie to BSL...I'm at APL now and cannot do many buns/styles that others do at APL simply because of my thickness. All I can accomplish is a crappy cinnabun and a sock bun.

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Pixie to APL was a nightmare; hair poofing out in all directions with no defined wave or curl. At APL, I finally had enough length for a defined wave pattern and to change my cowlicks into spiral curls.

Aveyronnaise
December 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Ugh, for me it is the stage i am in now , just before APL. My hair is too thick to really do anything cool with. I am enjoying it finally hanging on my back.
This summer is going to hard if it doesn't grow enough to do anything interesting.

Tia2010
December 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Growing out my pixie was the worst for me. That was even worse than the layers I'm trying to grow out now. Atleast when it's longer I can pull it up .... with the pixie I had to wear lots of hats ( which I will admit was fun :D) till it grew.

allmixedup88
December 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
SL, absolutely. My hair will dry in whatever shape it sits in so if I don't carefully monitor my hair the entire time it's drying, it will stick out in crazy directions with weird bumps. Can you tell I'm in that phase now? :)

I hated HATED shoulder length. My hair would get all crazy and go different places, even now with "SL- APL" hair it's still freaking crazy, LOL LOL

I can't wait until it's waist so I can just bleack this hair and call it a year or 2 lol

HairFaerie
December 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Definitely pixie to shoulder!

Even at shoulder I am finding myself using my 1 1/2" curling iron once in a while just to add some life to it. I also got a Caruso set of rollers, which I like too. Since I am growing out my bangs, it makes it all the worse. If I don't do anything with it, it just hangs there and looks silly to me! AGH!

Hopefully after APL, styling won't be an issue as it may look halfway decent on its own. *Crossing fingers*.

allmixedup88
December 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Since I am growing out my bangs, it makes it all the worse. If I don't do anything with it, it just hangs there and looks silly to me! AGH!.

hahaha that is too funny

kwaniesiam
December 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Pixie to ponytail length. Definitely. Once you can put it up its easier to forget about.

Gilly
December 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
The one I am in NOW!!!!

I am really determined NOT to cut my hair off even though it is really trying my patience, I can't just put it up in a pony and forget it, the side layers are still too short and stick out everywhere at every opportunity and during the day I develop "horns" on either side of my head where my fringe decides that it has ahad enough of doing what I want and will chuck a hissy fit and stick out all over the place!
I can't wait for Thursday as its payday and I am going to order some soft headbands so that I can at least keep the top and the sides tidy, I will have to pull a bit of fringe out of the front of the headband as I have a really high forehead and I want to disguise it a bit!

kristymarie87
December 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Mine still drys like that at almost APL!! I told myself over 2 inches ago that 1 more inch and id be past that phase...

I hated HATED shoulder length. My hair would get all crazy and go different places, even now with "SL- APL" hair it's still freaking crazy, LOL LOL

I second that! SL-APL is a nightmare for me! I think mainly because even though most of my hair is almost APL and drying wavy, the rest is in layers about SL and poking out in random places....plus its very frizzy too :S

Bring on BSL!!

lillylonghair
December 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Actually, pixie to chin wasn't bad for me because I would just pin it up in really cute styles!

APL to BSL has been the worst for me b/c it's still too short to do a lot of cute buns and braids that I am dying to try!

sunshine80
December 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
My hair was fried to the root in march..so I think this is a horrible stage because you grow it out a little and then your cutting off the burnt hair...I feel like Ill never be to healthy apl so I can start styling it ugghhh....

Akiko
December 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Pixie to shoulder for me, too. It has been more than two decades since I have gone through that stage. I know I will never go back to that painful length. When I cannot make a ponytail, I really fuss over my hair!

Unofficial_Rose
December 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
1) Biggest pain-in-the-arse length: pixie to chin. Simply because, as others have said, it was too short to tie back, had to be washed and styled every day to not look stupid (I have wavy hair).

2) Ugliest length: chin to shoulder. A just-above chin length bob = chic. One inch below chin to just above shoulder = frumpiest soccer mom imaginable (on me at least). Had to be ponytailed/put in French Twist every day to avoid frumpy look. At least a) it looks nice up and b) doesn't have to be washed every day, or styled.

Now it's to my shoulders with a few long layers I can bear to wear it down. I can't speak for any other lengths, because I haven't had hair past my shoulders since I was a teenager. Here's hoping though. :beerchug:

RachieBaby
December 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Somewhere between chin and shoulder length! I straightened it every day... this was also before I decided to grow it out lol

Quixotica
December 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM
All stages from pixie to shoulder. It was awful growing out my hair....I swear, I'll never cut it again! :rolleyes:

mrs_coffee
December 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Pixie to chin, where I am right now, because I really can't do anything to make it look decent. It mostly looks like a shaggy mess and this is normally where I would get frustrated and chop it off.

pepperminttea
December 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I didn't like chin length. Long enough that it's a hassle to wash it and keep it looking okay, but too short to tie completely back. I've never gone any shorter.

Dragon
December 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Anything shorter then ponytail length. Nothing worse then not being able to get your hair off your face.

Vorvolaka
December 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
My current APL+, with SL layers is annoying. I can pony-tail it , bun it or wear it down but that is it. I can't until my layers grow out!

smileycat
December 7th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Pixie to SL was a nightmare, but I learned 18 years ago that I never wanted to go through that again so kept it below actual CL but above SL for years. My hair does all sorts of weird bendy flippy stuff right at SL, so getting 3 or so inches past that is always horrid for me.

freckles
December 7th, 2010, 04:44 AM
just wanted to say at first I interpreted the OP "worse stages would have to be pixie to CL" as pixie to classic, and I was thinking, that is going to be a looooong awkward stage to put up with! :lol:

milagro
December 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I would say the multiple layers between nose line and shoulders.
For me it was chin to shoulder. When shorter my hair was virtually straight with just a little wave and loads of volume so no styling was actually necessary except for the fringe. When longer it turned to a minor lion's mane. That's why I had multiple chops at this stage :D
Below shoulders there also are some difficulties but at least on a bad hair day you can always just put it in a ponytail or something.

Felix_D
December 7th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I am so glad to hear you all say that chin to shoulder is the worst! I'm in the middle of it right now (and growing out a pixie, bleach, & bangs!!) and seriously struggling to not cut all off to my old short bob.

I still have another 3 inches (6 months!!) to go before it reaches shoulders. Aaaarrrrrggghhh!

milagro
December 7th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Felix, have patience :flower: You just have to live through it.
If it gets in the way try some hair toys to fix it. I recollect I used a lot of hairbands, scarves, grips etc.

Sunny_side_up
December 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
choppy layers from nose level to just passing shoulders. Little layers regularly coming loose from updoes and falling forward and then me having to shake my head when my hands were busy... then some more fall forward:p yep no more shorter layering for me! If i do decide on layers again they will be long! From shoulder down. But i will be enjoying more even length for a while yet ;)

allmixedup88
December 7th, 2010, 07:22 AM
1) Biggest pain-in-the-arse length: pixie to chin. Simply because, as others have said, it was too short to tie back, had to be washed and styled every day to not look stupid (I have wavy hair).

2) Ugliest length: chin to shoulder. A just-above chin length bob = chic. One inch below chin to just above shoulder = frumpiest soccer mom imaginable (on me at least). Had to be ponytailed/put in French Twist every day to avoid frumpy look. At least a) it looks nice up and b) doesn't have to be washed every day, or styled.

Now it's to my shoulders with a few long layers I can bear to wear it down. I can't speak for any other lengths, because I haven't had hair past my shoulders since I was a teenager. Here's hoping though. :beerchug:
oh my gosh I felt the same way about the frumpy soccer mom thing so i kept cutting it into a bob!

Crazycatlady
December 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM

My story, too! I do think I will have to purchase some rollers soon though. It's a little below my shoulders now (the longest layer in the very back) and just hangs there. I really hope as it gains more length the weight will do something (anything!) for it. :( If I don't use products for volume and shape, I feel like the way it hangs there, I look like a hag.

sunshine80
December 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
just wanted to say at first I interpreted the OP "worse stages would have to be pixie to CL" as pixie to classic, and I was thinking, that is going to be a looooong awkward stage to put up with! :lol:

lol omg that would be bad!

LawyerGirl
December 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I think jaw to chin was pretty horrible.