PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Another thread from me asking opinions on colour!!!

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Pretty much every thread I make has to do with this same topic, so you know it is on my mind often.

Those of you who colour their hair will understand how I'm feeling, you know when the colour you have just washes you out? Makes you feel bleh and just not at your best? I am having that issue big time. I'm known on here for changing my mind often, so I dont need the lectures about waiting or how I might change my mind...I am aware of all that, but I would like oppinions as I have no one else to ask and I trust you :D

Sooo at the moment, I still have that brown temp dye in that just doesnt want to fade past where it is now, it's been about 2 months and I have tried a lot but I dont think it will fade much more, and on top of that I didn't like the colour underneath anyways, thats why I put the temp in, so here are the options I am concidering....

Blonde, I've been blonde the majority of my life, usually it's a very light bleach blonde (naturally a dark blonde), I've been dying it that colour pretty much my whole life. My eyebrows and eyelashes are blonde, I wouldnt have to worry about colouring them. The downside to this is of course the bleach....but if I were to take this way I would do my whole head till it was the colour I want, then instead of dying my roots every month I would just do some random hightlights through them in the same blonde, this way in time my natural dark blonde would grow out while blending into the light blonde via highlights. It's damaging but I've done it a billion times before and it always looks good. My hair is also very strong, in the past I have bleached it 3 times in one night and it looked fine afterward. This would also be fun because I can play with my manic panic again! Also, my mother has waist length bleach blonde hair, it is in great condition and she doesnt even try to take care of it haha.

example: when I first joined LHC I was a bleach blonde (aqua streak in the first pic...not green)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3575&pictureid=69425
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3575&pictureid=69424

My other options were henna again, it always looks great and give the hair that "wow" factor, plus it's hair friendly. Last time I did a thread about colour everyone wanted the red pretty much ahaha, my only problem with it was that in some lights it was a little too clown orange and that I couldnt use my manic panic with it much, and my eyebrowns and eyelashes and what not would have to be made up everyday.

Then the least drastic option would be to put blonde highlights in the light brown I have now, but I'm more of an all or nothing type girl and I would want blonde...I dont like the effect of streaky blonde hightlights on brown hair, it shows way too much...

So yes, I am torn between the light blonde with just touching up with highlights as it grows in natural, or the henna.....eek!

Oppinions? again it would be much appreicated if you didnt just say dont do it or whatever, that doesnt help much :o

For ref, here is what my hair is now. If I were to make it blonde it would have to be toned for sure to get rid of the orange but I could do it, I turned my hair from black to light blonde last year...wasn't that bad ;)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/IMG-20101126-00636.jpg

and the henna red...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/29300_388987170913_501835913_4107914_6314377_n-2.jpg

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Personally I like the darker-toned colour on you. Not that the blonde didn't look good, but the darker tones bring out your eyes and are more complimentary of your skin tone, IMO :)

kschr2004
December 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I agree with aenflex, I like the darker colors on you, either the light brown or the henna red. If you are concerned about the color you have it now, have you thought about going a little darker? That would really make your eyes pop even more. You have beautiful eyes!

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I agree with aenflex, I like the darker colors on you, either the light brown or the henna red. If you are concerned about the color you have it now, have you thought about going a little darker? That would really make your eyes pop even more. You have beautiful eyes!

aw thank you, I've been every shade of brown, including many that are very dark, but it just doesnt feel like me :( and I hate having to make my eyebrows darker and wear mascara everyday. Lighter colours make it so I dont have to do anything to my eyebrows, they look more natural on me in real life.

Lunami
December 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I love you in the blond hair and bangs, it looks fantastic. I would say it really suits you well :D

kschr2004
December 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
aw thank you, I've been every shade of brown, including many that are very dark, but it just doesnt feel like me :( and I hate having to make my eyebrows darker and wear mascara everyday. Lighter colours make it so I dont have to do anything to my eyebrows, they look more natural on me in real life.

You're welcome. :) I understand about the eyebrow thing, I have to darken mine now that my hair is a darker color. Though mine are bleached already due to using Proactiv daily.

I would suggest highlights or lowlights, but those can be really damaging, even more than color.

I say do what makes you happy. When I went blonde again for a year recently I just couldn't stand it on myself! I didn't feel like myself until I went darker again.

TinaDenali
December 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I really like the blonde on you! You look stunning and mystical and fye... not that you don't look good with the brown and red, I just think the blonde suits your face wonderfully!
I'd say the blonde if it were up to me... :)
And maybe you could just lighten it to the point that it was close to your natural color then you wouldn't have to keep up with roots. But, it sounds like you like to play with color, so perhaps that's not really what you want... :D

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think the blonde washes you out, but the brown brings out your eyes and flatters your skin tone. I don't like the henna at all.

KittyLost
December 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Blonde....but if I were to take this way I would do my whole head till it was the colour I want, then instead of dying my roots every month I would just do some random hightlights through them in the same blonde, this way in time my natural dark blonde would grow out while blending into the light blonde via highlights. This would also be fun because I can play with my manic panic again!

This sounds like a good plan to me :)

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
This sounds like a good plan to me :)

Thanks :) Either way I am going to talk to the hair dressers at the beauty supply store and ask them for oppinions because I dont like the really yellowy blonde that happens right after you bleach, so I would have to get a toner and everything to ensure that. Also, there is the threat that the roots will turn white and the rest yellow! That happened when I went from black to blonde and yikes it was weird looking!

Coan-Teen
December 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'd say it depends on what you want to look like. I think you look good in all the colors but the red, which I think does wash you out a bit.

To me, blonde looks more edgy on you, especially with the heavy bangs, whereas the brown looks softer but also really pretty. I completely get the eyebrow thing, though. I have very light eyebrows and even with blonde I have to darken them slightly to get them to stand out. The blonde would eliminate that difficulty entirely.

However, just my two cents, the brown absolutely does not wash you out. It looks very pretty. Have you considered adding chemical red streaks to the brown to make it more dimensional? I think that would look fantastic, but it wouldn't do anything about your eyebrow/eyelash issue. Like I said, it depends on what you want. ^_^ HTH!

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I'd say it depends on what you want to look like. I think you look good in all the colors but the red, which I think does wash you out a bit.

To me, blonde looks more edgy on you, especially with the heavy bangs, whereas the brown looks softer but also really pretty. I completely get the eyebrow thing, though. I have very light eyebrows and even with blonde I have to darken them slightly to get them to stand out. The blonde would eliminate that difficulty entirely.

However, just my two cents, the brown absolutely does not wash you out. It looks very pretty. Have you considered adding chemical red streaks to the brown to make it more dimensional? I think that would look fantastic, but it wouldn't do anything about your eyebrow/eyelash issue. Like I said, it depends on what you want. ^_^ HTH!

aw thanks for the compliments :D I do agree the brown looks nice, its more of the fact that brown doesnt feel like me, you know? I was born blonde, my parents are blonde, it feels weird and unlike myself to be brunette, its fun for a while but then I start thinking about when I get married and whatnot and I dont want to be brunette for that. I like the idea of looking somewhat edgy...it suits the part of my personality that is kind of hidden in the soft brown colour :o

Coan-Teen
December 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
aw thanks for the compliments :D I do agree the brown looks nice, its more of the fact that brown doesnt feel like me, you know? I was born blonde, my parents are blonde, it feels weird and unlike myself to be brunette, its fun for a while but then I start thinking about when I get married and whatnot and I dont want to be brunette for that. I like the idea of looking somewhat edgy...it suits the part of my personality that is kind of hidden in the soft brown colour :o

Yeah, I get that. The one time I henna-ed my hair came out auburn and I hated every second of waiting for it to fade. Brown was not me. It sounds like you really want the blonde back and you already have a good plan for growing out natural once you do. I say go for it. It suits you. :D

PiroskaCicu
December 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I say blonde. You look so beautiful and sweet with it, and natural.

Schipperchow
December 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I think that an ash blond would look very nice with your skin tone & eyes.

Vampire
December 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I love that dark brown on you

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Well, there you go. It sounds like you really want the blonde, so I'm not sure why you're asking for opinions.

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Well, there you go. It sounds like you really want the blonde, so I'm not sure why you're asking for opinions.

I do favour blonde but I like to hear oppinions on how other people see it before I do something so drastic and I dont really have anyone to ask in real life :/

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Got'cha! Hope you will be happy with your decision, whatever it turns out to be.

Dyefree
December 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hmmm well I think you look very striking as a blonde..... It looks very natural and has a wow factor when comined with the fringe :)

kristymarie87
December 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think the brown suits you best.....i think a darker red would really suit your skin tone...but its up to you!

pepperminttea
December 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to squint between the brown and the bleach blonde to get an idea of your natural colour. I do think it's a shame so many dark blonde and light brown haired people dye over their natural colour, I've always thought it was a beautiful shade. Really though, I think you can pull off any colour.

Maddy25
December 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to squint between the brown and the bleach blonde to get an idea of your natural colour. I do think it's a shame so many dark blonde and light brown haired people dye over their natural colour, I've always thought it was a beautiful shade. Really though, I think you can pull off any colour.

I wish I could have my natural colour, its a medium/dark ash blonde. I just dont have the patience to grow it out no matter what I do, cant deal with roots :o

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Didn't you get your hair cut short to get back to your natural color not so long ago?

Since you change your mind so often, and since you don't like dealing with roots, I still think that your natural color would be best because it's light enough that you could have fun with temporary colors, which would fade out over time instead of giving you roots to deal with.

CarpeDM
December 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM
With your coloring, I like the henna red the best.

Unofficial_Rose
December 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Either the blonde or the henna. The blonde is stunning on you.

The brown's a bit "meh" in my opinion (but then I like dramatic colours).

If you don't feel at your best as a brunette, definitely go blonde. :)

princessp
December 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Dag, you are so cute you look good with all those colors! If I had to list favorite to least I would go blonde as favorite, red second, then dark.

rossjen
December 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I really love the darker color on you, it really makes your skin and eyes stand out. I think you could pretty much go with any shade of blonde and look really good. I don't think the red flatters you as much.

jojo
December 6th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I personally prefer the brown as it suits your skin tone and eye colour. The red would look better if it was a little darker and the blonde I feel makes you look washed out.

Why not go for a shade similar to your natural colour then the roots wont be as obvious.

kabelaced
December 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The brown hair picture is my favorite! :)

That, or try and find a color that's close to your natural color, and dye it that. The blonde seems to wash you out, in my opinion.

jaine
December 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
What about the reddish color from your wig pics? I really loved that color on you more than the brown or blonde or henna.

Clarisse
December 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Why don’t you bleach your hair now, then wear temporary colors till your hair has grown out and then wear your hair either natural or with temporary dye in it. Permanent hair dyes are designed to be... well, permanent. I like the blonde best on you

melikai
December 6th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Didn't you get your hair cut short to get back to your natural color not so long ago?

Since you change your mind so often, and since you don't like dealing with roots, I still think that your natural color would be best because it's light enough that you could have fun with temporary colors, which would fade out over time instead of giving you roots to deal with.

This.

Why don't you lighten it only a little bit, back closer to your natural colour? Why do you have to go to the extreme of bleached, very light blonde? :confused:

Demetrue
December 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
How about light golden brown?

Maddy25
December 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
This.

Why don't you lighten it only a little bit, back closer to your natural colour? Why do you have to go to the extreme of bleached, very light blonde? :confused:

This is what I am trying :) I bleached last night to lighten, I did this myself. I have an appointment at my salon for them to do the rest, hoping to get my naturalish medium ash colour as a base and then some highlights for fun. Wish me luck!!!!!!!! I'll need it because of course right after bleaching I have yellow hair :o

dropinthebucket
December 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
OMG, that henna with your blue eyes! so jealous! If you toned the orange down a bit with some indigo added into your henna mix (not too much), you might get something incredible. And maybe some Manic Panic red over it to push up the red factor. Of course, if you're not sure about henna and indigo (which are PERMANENT - did I say "permanent" loudly enough? :D) and you think you might want a change again, then maybe the blonde.

TinaDenali
December 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
This is what I am trying :) I bleached last night to lighten, I did this myself. I have an appointment at my salon for them to do the rest, hoping to get my naturalish medium ash colour as a base and then some highlights for fun. Wish me luck!!!!!!!! I'll need it because of course right after bleaching I have yellow hair :o

You'r brave!! :couch:

Good luck, Maddy!!! I hope it turns out great!!

Of course, you'll have to post pictures when it's done! :D

Maddy25
December 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
You'r brave!! :couch:

Good luck, Maddy!!! I hope it turns out great!!

Of course, you'll have to post pictures when it's done! :D

I will I promise :) Thank you!

Arndis
December 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I really liked the hennaed pic in the first post, but one, it looks like a very processed photo, and two, I love red hair. The top photo is a much more natural photo, and I am not anywhere near as confident about putting red hair on that one. If I were blonde naturally and didn't want to deal with roots, I'd think about leaving the base colour alone and buying half a dozen bottles of Manic Panic to do wild colour streaks regularly. :)

Have you tried the lipstick test, to know if you want warm or cool shades? Try on a very blue-pink lipstick, somewhere between bubblegum and fuschia. Next try on an orangey one. If the pink looks better, you probably have a blue-based skin tone and should be wearing cooler colours. If the orange looks better, then you probably have a yellow-based skin tone that looks good with warmer colours.

My natural hair colour is bleah brown and does nothing for me, so I keep dying it various shades of warm red for the compliments and the ability to wear more colourful clothes.

erika_d
December 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I like both, but I think I like darker just a tad bit more. I would keep it about that same depth of color but make it a bit cooler, without any red tinges

melikai
December 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM

I hope it goes great! If they do a good toner, you should be able to avoid the dreaded yellow. Mine used to do that too - I didn't know how yellowy it was until I saw pictures much later. :o

Mutinous
December 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm glad you chose the blonde, I think it looks best on you. Be sure to post pictures with your end results!

Khiwanean
December 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I like the brown and the blonde (especially as it is in the first picture). I'm not terribly excited about the henna, but did you henna from blonde? It might look better over the brown you have now than it did in that picture if that is the case. As it is, I like brown the best.