PDA

View Full Version : I keep having to go to class with wet hair. D:

Alix
December 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
And in the winter here we get tempuratures that hover around 0 a lot and my hair has a tendency to freeze. :justy:

I have morning practice till 7, and then class at 8.30 so between eating breakfast and showering and doing everything else my hair isn't dry by the time I have to walk to class, and I don't own a blow dryer.

Even if I did I wouldn't use it cause it takes way to much time.

So, do you guys have any protective styles I can do to keep my hair safe until I can get it to dry? I do wear a hood to block out the wind, but the ends keep slipping out. I'd like to be able to do some protective styles but it's just past APL, and thick and slick, so I'm having issues finding stuff to do other then a braid with a long tassel or a pony tail.

Help pleaase?:flower:

More info that I probably should have put in the first place: I'm a rower, so it's rowing practice, it's indoors now, but we row between 7000 and 11000 meters on a given day, you get real sweaty real fast, and my hair winds up dripping, so it needs a wash.

I do stretch washes too, I only wash my hair after practice since it's MWF. Unfortunatly, I also have class MWF at 8.30

kschr2004
December 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM
So, do you guys have any protective styles I can do to keep my hair safe until I can get it to dry? I do wear a hood to block out the wind, but the ends keep slipping out. I'd like to be able to do some protective styles but it's just past APL, and thick and slick, so I'm having issues finding stuff to do other then a braid with a long tassel or a pony tail.

Help pleaase?:flower:

I see that you have thick hair. Can you do a basic bun or a cinnabun at your length? I find that works well for me at APL. My hair is also slippery, so I use either a Ficcare, a Fakkare, or a Flexi-8 to hold it in place. Those all work really well for me.

The thing to do is wait to bun your hair until the last possible minute, so that it is damp rather than soaking wet. It is possible though that it still won't dry during the day. What I do to help counteract that is take my hair down about halfway through the day, and then do a half up to help it to dry.

kdaniels8811
December 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Why not stop washing your hair so much? I used to wash daily since it was greasy that fast. When I stopped washing so much it quit get greasy so fast. Now I condition only and only every 3-4 days. Just a thought. I imagine you must be freezing with wet hair!

akurah
December 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Put a warm, dry towel over your hair (such as a turbie towel) around your head until you have to leave. Also, what kind of practice is it? Washing hair daily may be unnecessary, also try dry shampoos. And perhaps wrap your hair in a winter scarf.

Alix
December 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Why not stop washing your hair so much? I used to wash daily since it was greasy that fast. When I stopped washing so much it quit get greasy so fast. Now I condition only and only every 3-4 days. Just a thought. I imagine you must be freezing with wet hair!

I only wash my hair every two days, I should probably put that in my first post. I have practice MWF. Which is also when I have class. I shower and wash my hair after practice because it gets really dirty from the sweat.

ddiana1979
December 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
When I was in college at Purdue (which gets quite cold in the winter), I always washed my hair the night before (usually I'd do it when I got home from class, so it'd have several hours to dry hanging loose before I went to bed). That way it was dry when I went to class. I had a really bad incident once when I was sledding. . . I fell into a creek, and by the time I got home, my hair was so frozen that when my grandmother tried to touch it (she was planning on blow drying it to thaw me out), literally about 2 inches broke off. From then on, I've been extremely careful about wet hair in cold weather.

Alix
December 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Put a warm, dry towel over your hair (such as a turbie towel) around your head until you have to leave. Also, what kind of practice is it? Washing hair daily may be unnecessary, also try dry shampoos. And perhaps wrap your hair in a winter scarf.

I'll try the warm towel idea! And I updated my first post, it's indoor rowing practice MWF which is also when I have class.

Dolly
December 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
If you can't manage a cinnabun, try looking up www.quikbuns.com (also made under the name of EZ Buns). A friend of mine had some of these, and she said they were great for shorter hair.....she said the hair wouldn't slip out and they worked really well.....

And, yeah....to get rid of some of the moisture, try the warm towel....also maybe a microfiber towel, as they are supposed to soak up more moisture.....

Alix
December 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm also going to attempt a cinnabun, I haven't tried that one yet, I'm going to have to find stuff to secure it with, I'll find something.

Qadupae
December 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I see that you have thick hair. Can you do a basic bun or a cinnabun at your length? I find that works well for me at APL. My hair is also slippery, so I use either a Ficcare, a Fakkare, or a Flexi-8 to hold it in place. Those all work really well for me.

Adding to kschr here, I wonder if you can make 2 buns on either side if your hair is too thick, but too short for only one? Your braided pigtails look nice too ^_^

Dolly
December 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm also going to attempt a cinnabun, I haven't tried that one yet, I'm going to have to find stuff to secure it with, I'll find something.

You can use a couple of chopsticks....or pencils....or just about anything really.....the cinnabun in my avatar is held with one ketylo stick (no pins or anything).....my hair is not thick, so you might need two sticks.....

spitfire511
December 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Can you do a basic bun or a cinnabun at your length?

This - I'm APL, and I basic bun a lot. If I'm honest, I usually do it with an elastic, which isn't optimal I know but all I manage sometimes with the two kiddos. I sometimes have a hard time getting sticks to stick because of layers. You might try a figure 8 as well. I'm just getting long enough to get that one to stay a bit.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works out well! :D

allmixedup88
December 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
french braid it then put it into a bun :-)

LaurelSpring
December 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Once it turns cool I switch to shampoo and bath at night. Its way too cold to go out wet! Once it gets warm I go back to morning showers.

Carolyn
December 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm assuming from what you wrote that your practice is something that gets you all sweaty and you want to wash your hair afterward. Get a microfiber car towel. They have then in automotive departments. Some are little but there are bigger ones. I think I got my bigger ones at Target. They soak up a lot of moisture. Keep your hair wrapped in that until you are almost ready to go then do some kind of a quick updo or braid. A calorimetry may not cover enough of your head to be warm enough but there are knit slouch hats, ski hats, or tams that would cover all your hair and keep your head warm. The slouch hats have plenty of room for a bun. If you knit, there are lots of free patterns on the net and on Ravelry.

BrightEyes7
December 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I would suggest getting a Turbie Twist. I just got one and it has cut my drying time dramtically!! Normally my hair takes 3 hours to dry in the summer.

Also I think a cinnabun would work for you.

Maybe you could get a snood. And wear it to protect your hair while outside until it dries. :shrug:

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Try putting your hair into a high ponytail for exercise, then let the sweat dry in it. As long as you don't do that too many times in a row, it won't make your scalp stink; I promise.

amaiaisabella
December 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
What about those little knitted caps or berets to cover your hair? It wouldn't freeze and you'd look stylish doing so! ;)

IcarusBride
December 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I fold up my wet hair on top of my head and tie a scarf over it, similar to religious hair covering. It keeps my head warm enough that the hair won't freeze. I let it down when I get to class/work, and usually by the end of my first class or an hour or so into work, it's dry and I can put it up in a normal daily updo.
Hope it helps! I have very thin hair, though, so it might take you more than an hour to dry your hair, and this becomes less practical.

Lianna
December 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I usually do a damp sock bun, but where I live isn't cold, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Thanks for the EZ bun advice, Dolly! I'm getting two, the double bun was adorable. :flower:

Coan-Teen
December 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Your hair should be long enough for a sockbun if it isn't long enough for a cinnabun. That would definitely eat some length and help keeps your ends safe. As for drying faster I second the microfiber car towel. They are fantastic.