PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair & dandruff?

yogachic
December 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
My 8 year old has oily hair and dandruff. I only notice the dandruff after washing her hair and when its still wet.

I've been using only clarifying shampoo with her, if I don't her hairs a grease bomb within a day. Even with clarifying shampoo she requires her hair to be washed every 2 days max.

I've never seen combination hair like this, but I have dry hair so I've never had to deal with it. Any helpful comments?:)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
How about using a mild shampoo daily instead?

bedazzlecat
December 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not 8, but I have hair that is oily at the top, dry at the ends, and a scalp that seems to flake the oilier my hair gets between washes. It has gotten somewhat better as I've stretched washing out to every 3 days and it itches a whole lot less. The flakes get worse whenever I use shampoos and conditioners with cones, so I avoid them. I recommend a moisturizing shampoo that doesn't have cones. I use Garnier Fructis and Prell to clarify, and even though I get greasy hair, I still oil my hair at the ends while it is wet. Dandruff shampoo does not help, except if my scalp is reacting to something.

It seems somewhat unusual for a child that young to have such oily hair and dandruff. Those things tend to happen to people during/after puberty. Have you asked a doctor about this? She may have a scalp condition.

blue_nant
December 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
i had a scalp condition when only a little older than she is. sebhorrhea they called it. i still get it at the change of seasons and if i'm under stress.

it has gotten better over time with fewer washes and diluted shampoo.