PDA

View Full Version : dandruff

Jules diamond
December 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hi LHC

This is a quick post before running out the door. I've had dandruff for a while now. I'm not sure how it started, but I've been experimenting with things over the past few months to get rid of it.

I've tried oiling my scalp with jojoba, using shampoos with no cones or sulphates, using only cones, CO, SO, and I've just tried out an ACV rinse which actually seems to have made it worse.

I'm at a loss of what to do to get rid of the dandruff once and for all.

For now I'm going to try the ACV rinse another few days and see if it's just the first day that was harsh.

What do you think is going on? Have you beaten dandruff down? What did you do?

Chiara
December 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
honey masques have worked well for me; follow the link in this post to read more http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59650

Darkhorse1
December 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Dandruff is something I've battled since I hit puberty and am now 41. What a nightmare---when highly stressed, mine flares and my worst flare caused hair loss and painful, itchy scales on my scalp.

There are various stages of dandruff, and depending on that stage there are products to help. A bit about dandruff--for one, it starts below the scalp, which is why many products need to be left on the scalp to absorb into it.

For mild to moderate or seasonal issues causing itchy scalp, I use head and shoulders for oily scalp. This has saved me from washing frequently and can help me stretch my washes to almost 3 days (I work with horses/ride horses so wearing helmets/sweat means I have to wash my hair). head and shoulders is ph balanced so it's very mild and I don't get build up. it is also safe on color treated hair.

For a moderate to severe case, I found Nizoral worked the best for OTC, however Nizoral can't be used on color treated hair. Also, there are a few down sides to Nizoral. The smell is HORRID (and this was the least offensive of all medicated shampoos I looked at) AND, it causes itching! The pharmacist explained that the nizoral gets under the scalp to kill the fungus that causes dandruff, but as it heals, like a scab, it itches. It was brutal! BUT, it did work.

For severe to extreme cases, you need to see your doctor. My worst case required a specific drop that saved me from making my scalp bleed. The hand fuls of hair I lost was sooo freaky!! The hair DOES grow back btw. Doctors can also prescribe a specific shampoo not available OTC.

Stress is a huge trigger for dandruff, so if you are finding yourself stressed, try a zinc based shampoo to start (Head and ShoulderS) and work from there. I know Fructious has a dandruff shampoo, but Fructuis has never worked for me, so I never tried it.

Good luck and feel free to ask me more questions--I've studied at length with this. I never found ACV worked for me. made my hair shiny as a kid though ;)

Copasetic
December 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi LHC

This is a quick post before running out the door. I've had dandruff for a while now. I'm not sure how it started, but I've been experimenting with things over the past few months to get rid of it.

I've tried oiling my scalp with jojoba, using shampoos with no cones or sulphates, using only cones, CO, SO, and I've just tried out an ACV rinse which actually seems to have made it worse.

I'm at a loss of what to do to get rid of the dandruff once and for all.

For now I'm going to try the ACV rinse another few days and see if it's just the first day that was harsh.

What do you think is going on? Have you beaten dandruff down? What did you do?

I have heard that "dandruff" is often misdiagnosed. Flakes don't mean that you have dandruff. It could be a dry scalp, or some other conditions. I am currently dealing with a crazy amount of white flakes. It is seriously out of control. When I scratch my head it results in a snowfall of flakes. And sometimes when I part my hair there are a ton of visible flakes in my part. It is driving me insane. I am thinking about trying an anti-dandruff shampoo, but I am worried that my issue might just be a dry scalp.

Dandruff is something I've battled since I hit puberty and am now 41. What a nightmare---when highly stressed, mine flares and my worst flare caused hair loss and painful, itchy scales on my scalp.

There are various stages of dandruff, and depending on that stage there are products to help. A bit about dandruff--for one, it starts below the scalp, which is why many products need to be left on the scalp to absorb into it.

For mild to moderate or seasonal issues causing itchy scalp, I use head and shoulders for oily scalp. This has saved me from washing frequently and can help me stretch my washes to almost 3 days (I work with horses/ride horses so wearing helmets/sweat means I have to wash my hair). head and shoulders is ph balanced so it's very mild and I don't get build up. it is also safe on color treated hair.

For a moderate to severe case, I found Nizoral worked the best for OTC, however Nizoral can't be used on color treated hair. Also, there are a few down sides to Nizoral. The smell is HORRID (and this was the least offensive of all medicated shampoos I looked at) AND, it causes itching! The pharmacist explained that the nizoral gets under the scalp to kill the fungus that causes dandruff, but as it heals, like a scab, it itches. It was brutal! BUT, it did work.

For severe to extreme cases, you need to see your doctor. My worst case required a specific drop that saved me from making my scalp bleed. The hand fuls of hair I lost was sooo freaky!! The hair DOES grow back btw. Doctors can also prescribe a specific shampoo not available OTC.

Stress is a huge trigger for dandruff, so if you are finding yourself stressed, try a zinc based shampoo to start (Head and ShoulderS) and work from there. I know Fructious has a dandruff shampoo, but Fructuis has never worked for me, so I never tried it.

Good luck and feel free to ask me more questions--I've studied at length with this. I never found ACV worked for me. made my hair shiny as a kid though ;)

Have you tried that extra strength Head and Shoulders in the dark blue bottle? My friend said he uses that one like three times a months and it cured his scalp issues.

myria
December 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I get dandruff occasionally too. If its very severe I agree, you should probably see your doctos.
I usually try oiling my scalp with coconut oil mixed with glycerin, especially in the winter my scalp gets dry from central heating.
If that doesn't work try making a paste from 2 soluble aspirin and your normal shampoo, rub it into your scalp, leave it on for a couple of minutes then rinse really well. Don't do it if you're allergic to aspirin though.
Or you could try head and shoulders. It doesn't seem to work on me (I think it's because I don't wash my hair everyday) but they have a menthol one that smells nice :)

GoddesJourney
December 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have heard that "dandruff" is often misdiagnosed. Flakes don't mean that you have dandruff. It could be a dry scalp, or some other conditions. I am currently dealing with a crazy amount of white flakes. It is seriously out of control. When I scratch my head it results in a snowfall of flakes. And sometimes when I part my hair there are a ton of visible flakes in my part. It is driving me insane. I am thinking about trying an anti-dandruff shampoo, but I am worried that my issue might just be a dry scalp.

Have you tried that extra strength Head and Shoulders in the dark blue bottle? My friend said he uses that one like three times a months and it cured his scalp issues.

This is more or less what I was going to say. If it's dry scalp, it's dry scalp. If it is just terrible dandruff that has lasted forever, you can try that dark blue bottle from head and shoulders. It has selenium sulfide, which is a great ingredient for stubborn dandruff. It worked for my husband, who really struggled for a long time. He had both dry scalp and dandruff. The dry scalp was from using shampoo and no conditioner. The dandruff, who knows? Part of it was that he didn't really scrub his scalp well while washing. He used that stuff for a few days and then maintained once a week, then every two weeks, then once a month... It smells terrible and it seems to last a couple of days, but it really works and so is worth it. Plus, it's way cheaper than the other brands that have the same ingredient.

Roscata
December 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
"Henna dye blocks UV so your hair doesn’t become sun damaged, strengthens your hair so it won’t get split ends, makes your hair glossy and shiny, eliminates dandruff and ringworm, and kills head lice and nits." Copyright © 2006 Catherine Cartwright-Jones All rights reserved Tapdancing Lizard LLC

principesse
December 6th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I have tried several dandruff shampoos but the only thing that has worked long-term was Kerastase's dandruff treatment, which I had done at the hairdresser's. It's basically just a tube of dandruff shampoo that they used on my hair once and it has worked really great so far. You use it only once.

Jules diamond
December 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the reply! Nope. No itch from me, yet. But my younger sister has the same case as I do, so it might be the shampoo.

What helped get rid of yours the fastest and most permanently? I was also wondering what effect conditioning has on dandruff, from what you've found. I'm not an avid conditioner, since I've got oily hair, so I was wondering if that could have an effect.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I have beaten the dandruff, but not with natural, "cute" ways like scalp oilings... I use a prescribed %2 ketoconazole shampoo weekly. Kaboom, flakes are gone forever :)

But mine's a hereditary disease. Your case might be different.

Locksmith
December 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I have beaten the dandruff, but not with natural, "cute" ways like scalp oilings... I use a prescribed %2 ketoconazole shampoo weekly. Kaboom, flakes are gone forever :)

Ditto here. I had dandruff for years and years - finally went to the GP, who said it was probably a combination of fungal infection + my stupidly dry skin condition, and prescribed me shampoo. All gone. It recurs if I use SLS though, so shampoo bars for me. :(

Dreams_in_Pink
December 7th, 2010, 06:06 AM
It recurs if I use SLS though, so shampoo bars for me. :(

I use SLS to clean my scalp before applying the shampoo. After i rinse that out, i can easily lather all my scalp with medicated one. My flakes disappeared this way :shrug:

Locksmith
December 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I use SLS to clean my scalp before applying the shampoo. After i rinse that out, i can easily lather all my scalp with medicated one. My flakes disappeared this way :shrug:

Mm, the medicated one had SLS in it. With me it is related to dry skin and eczema that flares horribly on contact with detergents like SLS though, so that's probably a factor once you take out the medicated aspect of the shampoo.