PDA

View Full Version : The tangles thread

beez1717
December 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I just did a search for tangles and I didn't find a thread which specifically dealt with tangles and the like, and so I was wondering if we could start one here. It seems like my hair tangles on a daily basis and yet it's 1C 2A hair! I wonder why that would be, and if there is anything I can do to keep my hair from tangling and, if there are any methods that can detangle hair efficiently. I don't want to rip at my hair but sometimes it feels like that's the only way I know of to detangle my hair when i'm in a hurry!

So like I said before I want to start the thread on how to banish those tangles from your life, or at least tame that monster.

Gabriel
December 6th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Posting your washing routine, what products you use and the tools you use to untangle your hair will help people give you advice. You might also want to state what your daily style habits are for wearing your hair.

Other things to consider are if you have previous damage still present in your hair, whether or not you chemically treat your hair (texture/color), and other things like that.

Ripping through your hair in frustration is never good.

I have 1C/2A hair and I use a plastic seamless wide tooth comb in the shower with conditioner to help keep the limited tangles I get at bay.

I use two other wide tooth combs on dry hair- a horn comb that has wider spaced teeth and a wood comb with less widely spaced teeth. It depends what I feel like that day and how my hair is getting styled. I also have a Denman 7 row brush that I use on occasion that is really great at not tangling my hair.

I've recently ordered a Tangle Teezer but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you how that is yet.

I don't get a lot of tangles though. I take a lot of preventative measures that work for my hair though. I sometimes will work a pea sized amount of my conditioner through the length of my hair after shampooing and conditioning to add some more slip.

I also wear my hair up daily and sleep with a satin pillow case. I usually wear a sleep cap/wrap as well so my hair is contained.

I use a variety oils on my length regularly. Jojoba is a favorite for me to help add slip.

I notice for me my hair will get especially tangle-y if I don't remember to clarify every once in a while.

*Rose Red*
December 6th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I just bought a detangler from Aubrey Organics, but I did not try it yet. Maybe I´m going to try it this evening, I will tell you later! I hope it works, because I hate it when my hair (no curls) tangles.

DARKMARTIAN
December 6th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Ripping through your hair in frustration is never good.

I really need to concentrate on being good more often....

milagro
December 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM
My hair always tangles but I noticed tangling got much worse when I developed split ends. Those little forks sort of get laced to each other and don't allow other hairs lay as they should.
If you're a 'cone user a silicone leave-in can help a lot, too.

Madora
December 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
To reduce the tangles, try and keep your hair in a braid or banded ponytail, especially at night.

Dealing with tangles:

Be patient..take your time! Don't just comb down, hit the tangle and try and remove it with the comb!

Separate the section that has the tangle from hair that is not tangled. Then use your fingers to try and undo the tangle. It takes time..be gentle..and your hair will benefit.

Never, ever, use a brush to detangle!!

You might find it helpful to use a conditioner (after shampooing) and gently comb your hair while it's full of conditioner (working from the ends of the strands and up the strands towards the scalp...a little at a time). Work slowly..hair is weakest when its wet.

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Not sure how helpful I can be as a 1a, but for me what makes the biggest difference is fully detangling in the shower with my fingers only. If you do it with conditioner in and you're patient, you should be able to detangle without breaking hairs.

shell78
December 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have a pretty serious tangling problem that has developed and become worse over the past few months..

TL;DR: I used to deal with overconditioning so I've been using lighter products. My hair got dehydrated and with it more tangles seem to be forming, so I've been using heavier products which don't seem to be helping. I CO about every third day and prefer to wear my hair loose. My detangling method of choice is wide tooth comb, in the shower, saturated with conditioner.

The details:

My hair is on the loose side of curly and fine. In the past I've struggled with being overconditioned so I quit the heavy conditioners and used mostly Suave coconut which worked well for at least a year. I was using Devcurl No-poo on my roots and my favorite gel is the Fuzzy Duck one.

Around September I went to my stylist for a dusting and then DH and I went on a hiking trip to Colorado shortly afterward and hiked, among other trails, Hallett peak - windiest trail I've ever hiked - I think someone told us winds were up to 80 or 90 mph. I think my hair was mostly loose, but I was wearing a Buff over it, so it was somewhat protected, but not ideal. I'd only packed my trusty Suave coconut for the trip, so I know I failed to restore moisture to my hair.

Upon returning home I pulled out my heavier conditioners - my favorite was Devacurl's deep treatment, heaven in hair, which I often used as a leave-in.

It didn't seem so bad at first so I blamed the trim and figured he didn't take as much of the ends as I needed.

I experienced a pretty heavy shedding in October and November, but my hair still seems somewhat thick, on the average side of average, as opposed to the thick side of average. I haven't measured circumference lately but it's not thin enough for me to be too concerned about it - and the shedding has slowed to a more normal shed rate.

Now it's December and I've been looking at my ends and I really don't see any splits or reasons why it would be tangling - they still look fine. The places that my hair tangles the most is my nape (I'm a bit curlier there) and my canopy (it's always been a bit dryer and weaker than the rest of my hair.)

I've been trying heavier conditioners to see if they would help - I had a sample stashed of Jessicurl's weekly deep treatement, used that as a leave-in which didn't really help. Saw a 'teflon for hair' thread here so I tried the Biolage conditionting balm for awhile - didn't really have a 'teflon' effect for me. I revisited CO-washing with Devacurl One Condition since it was the worst culprit of overconditioning several years ago. It's the best detangler of the products I've tried switching to, but the tangles still persist.

I also used to get pretty heavily overconditioned from coconut oil, so I tried that too. It seemed to help a little, but still tangles.

I also got Whole Foods' Everyday Shea conditioner thinking that shea butter would help restore my moisture balance and help with the tangles - not really; One Condition works better.

Last week I decided maybe I'm overdue for a protein treatment, so I picked up the highly acclaimed K-pak reconstructing treatment. My hair felt smoother as I applied the treatment, but in the next washing my hair was just as difficult to detangle as before.

I also picked up a detangler - Biosilk pre plus detangler. It has all kinds of color additives so it's a bright purple. It seems to help detangling a bit, but I'm still spending a lot of time in the shower working at it, so I know my hair wants more.

I avoid silicones and I CO wash usually with Suave coconut but more recently DevaCurl No-poo. I used to gel after every wash, but since my tangling has gotten worse, I've gone without gel and used more conditioner left in.

I tend to wash about every 3 days. I don't want to wash more often even if the tangles were slightly better on day two - I'd rather fix my moisture problem if I can.

Here's a photo that kind of shows what I'm dealing with:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6754&pictureid=89893

Any ideas on what I should try next? My hair is thirsty and I'm not sure what to feed it!

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
shell78 - May I ask why you avoid cones? Just curious b/c I got the worst tangling of my life when I decided to try going cone free - that experiment was quickly abandoned, and my hair went back to its usual cooperative self (^(oo)^)v

shell78
December 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hi piggy!

I avoid cones because I avoid sulfates. I avoid sulfates because they are drying and dehydrate curls. My CO routine has worked well for ~3 years so I don't think that silicones are my solution.

KLin
December 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I am looking for answers for tangles as well. More for my son who has tangles, and can not really take good care himself, so I am trying to help him.
We Co for him and use fingers and wide tooth comb. I will work in a little extra conditioner in damp hair for him. His hair is always down unless it needs to be ponied for Karate. (He will be 6 in Jan.) Oh he is cone free because he uses what I use.
Looking for help as well...

CrisDee
December 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
My hair used to tangle HORRIBLY when I was a kid. But after they invented conditioner, I had much less problem with it - and since I've been CO washing, my hair doesn't tangle at all! :)

hermosamendoza
December 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
does anyone know what to do for knots at the nape of the neck? Ever since I was a little girl i would get a huge not there and can't get it out. so i just cut it all off and start over. which is probably why i can never get to my goal of tbl.

someone mentioned silicone leave in stuff. any specific one that worked for you?

Anne~
December 6th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Tangles :mad:! I despise them!

I have finally found my holy grail tangle remover. It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product. Probably has cones but I use their hair serum too I am a cone head. I never comb or brush between washings so I swear by this product. It's downfall is the cost. Holy cow. :rolleyes:

littlestarface
December 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I was made for this thread, my hair is one big tangle :rolleyes: After I wash, before I wash, inbetween wash, tangles everywhere, even after a braid it still has tangles :lol: and yes I comb it till its tangle free before I braid it.

Only thing that helps my tangles is oil, it just makes them easier to comb out. I get those back of the neck knots and I just have to finger comb with extra oil on my fingertips, then comb from bottom up very gently with the tip of the comb very gently.

milagro
December 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
someone mentioned silicone leave in stuff. any specific one that worked for you?
I did :) Redken Fresh Curls Refiner worked pretty well for me. And it lasts forever.

Nera
December 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I was also thinking about making a thread or group for this problem... My hair structure is pretty much tangled for about 50% I guess, so it's a hard to maintain my hair and not to take dreadlocks. Oil and going CO helps of course, but I will read this thread for more advice from fellow tangled!

littlestarface
December 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I was also thinking about making a thread or group for this problem... My hair structure is pretty much tangled for about 50% I guess, so it's a hard to maintain my hair and not to take dreadlocks. Oil and going CO helps of course, but I will read this thread for more advice from fellow tangled!
A group would be perfect for us :thumbsup:

RachieBaby
December 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
- Detangling hair in the shower with lots of conditioner and finger combing
- conditioners with cones
-Using a wide tooth comb and using coconut oil

I found the best way to not get any tangles is to keep my hair in braids or buns, especially at this time of year. :)

christine1989
December 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
My hair never gets big tangles but gets a TON of small ones. It always looks smooth and tangle free but when I go through it with a comb I hit about 10 of them. The only thing that seems to help is oiling them then picking through them with my fingers.

Cleopatra18
December 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I have such a terrible tangling problem! I completely gave up.detangling in the shower makes my hair happy but i always get breakage and i'm sick of it.My hair is always up but it dreads so bad and my roots are all one gigantic tangle for some reason :S:S
I do use cones and oils but it doesnt help as much as i would like them.
My hair is a mixed texture and once it's up it just becomes weird(half straight,half wurly/curly).
the tangles at the nape are also the worst even though i condition it very well and it's the softest part of my hair :shrug: