PDA

View Full Version : First crown wrap straightening!

PraiseCheeses
December 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those who fight their natural texture. I'm working on learning to work with the waves and curls, but at this point I'm just so used to straight hair! I *finally* got around to straightening via wrapping and leaving overnight - and it. is. awesome. :cheese: I wish I'd known about this years ago!

Here's what I have naturally (yes, it's a rather old pic but it's the only one I have right now):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=89869

and here's how it came out, first thing in the morning (i.e. this is no glamour shot by any means!):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=89868

I need to tweak it a bit of course, but I'm thrilled it worked so well the first time! :cheese:

(I hope the pics show up in the thread okay...)

Athena's Owl
December 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM
looks great!

I cant do this. either my hair is too long or i'm not coordinated enough. i do like my curls, though.

AnnaJamila
December 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Wow, that actually worked!!! I was always skeptical about how wrapping would work, but that looks beautiful! And damage free, which always helps!

sunshine80
December 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
wow its so straight! looks really pretty!

Capybara
December 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
That looks so pretty! I like the before picture (I'm partial to waves, 'cause I don't have many :o) and the after picture! You've got great volume!

MNoelH
December 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I just can't figure out how to make this work. Can you provide instructions on the way you did it?

Yours looks absolutely lovely.

PraiseCheeses
December 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Aww, thanks so much for the compliments and sharing my excitement! :blossom:

MNoelH, I based what I did off of the instructions in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17291) thread. I wrote up with more detail in my blog, but basically what I did was this: I first separated a circle of hair at my crown and clipped it up out of the way, which left me with a ring of freehanging hair. Then, starting at my right temple, I brushed the ring of hair counterclockwise around my head so it lied flat, pinning with bobby pins where the ends flipped out. Now I had a counterclockwise swirl of hair pinned flat to my head. Then I took the crown circle hair out, combed it straight back, divided it in half down the middle, and pulled both halves down and slightly toward each other so they formed a gentle X near my nape where they crossed over each other. Then I kept wrapping them around to the front of my head in opposite directions, pinned the ends, and covered the whole thing with a scarf and went to bed.

I think next time I'm going to try positioning the pins so I can easily remove them from underneath the scarf once the scarf is secured to eliminate the bumps, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the first attempt! Good luck when you try it! :D

Copasetic
December 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
It looks great. I tried this once and my hair ended up a total mess. I think my hair is too long and too thick to pull this off. I'm glad its working for you :)

Cailie
December 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, looks great !!!

I have tried a few times too in the past ... sadly, with no success :(

Dragon
December 6th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Looks great :)

milagro
December 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I's amazing :flower: and it suits you so well.
I could never get so smooth length and ends. crown and roots - easily but the rest would be just oddly kinky.

Tia2010
December 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Great job :hifive: I've been wanting to try wrapping but don't think I'm that coordinated ... But seeing your great results make me want to try !

2peasinapod
December 6th, 2010, 12:59 AM
It looks great! I have to admit, I think your curls are gorgeous, so I was a little nervous, but your hair looks stunning straight as well! It suits you either way. Good job! :cheese:

KittyLost
December 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Those are some very good results!

You can still have straight hair without the damage :)

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
It looks great! Wrapping does work, once you try it a few times and get it down right, at least for me. There was a learning process though. I used to do it when my hair was a bit longer than it is now. But I am almost back to the length where I can wrap it, and I am excited!

rena
December 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I'm one of those who fight their natural texture. I'm working on learning to work with the waves and curls, but at this point I'm just so used to straight hair! I *finally* got around to straightening via wrapping and leaving overnight - and it. is. awesome. :cheese: I wish I'd known about this years ago!

Here's what I have naturally (yes, it's a rather old pic but it's the only one I have right now):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=89869

and here's how it came out, first thing in the morning (i.e. this is no glamour shot by any means!):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=89868

I need to tweak it a bit of course, but I'm thrilled it worked so well the first time! :cheese:

(I hope the pics show up in the thread okay...)

:( I'm so sad I can't see the pics but I take your word for it!

Oh please please pleeeeeaaase tell me what you did! Though I'm learning to like my natural texture I STILL battle to-the-death with it most of the time :D And once it gets long enough, I would love to have such a nice trick like this under my belt!

Athena's Owl
December 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I first separated a circle of hair at my crown and clipped it up out of the way, which left me with a ring of freehanging hair. Then, starting at my right temple, I brushed the ring of hair counterclockwise around my head so it lied flat, pinning with bobby pins where the ends flipped out. Now I had a counterclockwise swirl of hair pinned flat to my head. Then I took the crown circle hair out, combed it straight back, divided it in half down the middle, and pulled both halves down and slightly toward each other so they formed a gentle X near my nape where they crossed over each other. Then I kept wrapping them around to the front of my head in opposite directions, pinned the ends, and covered the whole thing with a scarf and went to bed.

You know it's my hair at the crown the gives me problems when I try to wrap. I'm going to give it another go. my hair is really long and quite curly, but if I can pull this off, then anyone can. off to get clips!

alwayssmiling
December 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I love wraps, they work wonders for my frizzy hair. Yours looks beautiful.

I blow dried my hair straight yesterday so tonight to eek out my straightness I will sleep in a wrap so I don't have to do anymore damage. I also sit under my dryer with a wrap on which seems to help speed things up. My head is covered with a silk scarf.

spidermom
December 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Beautiful! I wonder if I'd look like a bubble head if I tried it; too much hair!

PraiseCheeses
December 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
rena - Don't be sad; a few more posts and you'll find a whole new world awaiting you here! :P

Athena's Owl Good luck! Please post about your results! You'd be a shining beacon of hope for many here! :cool:

spidermom - From what I remember of your other signature pics, I'm thinking you might look something like this (http://64.19.142.13/f00.inventorspot.com/images/toad1.jpg) while your head was wrapped if you tried. :D

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!:flower:

tinti
December 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Wow, it looks gorgeus :D

christine1989
December 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM
What perfect results!

Athena's Owl
December 10th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I managed to get my hair wrapped! I've had it wrapped and full of bobby pins and in a sacrf for hours, and I'm about to sleep on it. I hope it's dry by then...

but if it doesn't turn out well this time it doesn't matter. I managed to wrap may hair at this length! it was seperating out the crown that did the trick.

Cleopatra18
December 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I managed to get my hair wrapped! I've had it wrapped and full of bobby pins and in a sacrf for hours, and I'm about to sleep on it. I hope it's dry by then...

but if it doesn't turn out well this time it doesn't matter. I managed to wrap may hair at this length! it was seperating out the crown that did the trick.
How did you do it? I'm dying to wrap my hair but the only time i did it i felt like i got a ton of breakage from combing that way and flipping the hair 100 times while it was wet/damp,I have looked at your pictures and your hair is gorgeous,are you sure you're ii only?

Athena's Owl
December 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
yes, it's not that thick, the curls just make it look like it has more volume.

What I did - after washing I pulled my hair back fairly smoothly, mad a pony tail and did a braid with long satin scarves as the other strand, and went to bed.

when I got up and too the braid out, my length was still damp but the crown and ends were kinda dry. I misted the ends a bit, and combed my hair out, sectioning off a good portion of hair at the crown. I put that in a bun, and wrapped the rest.

to wrap, i simply smoothed from where I started, laid it down and pinned it. I only concerned myself with making the three inches I was going to pin down flat, and then moved along. it was faster than I thought.

then I took my bun out, divided that in half, and bunned one half. I got it gently untangled and then started guiding it along the wrap, pinning it down.

The third section was a bit tricky, but I gently got it wrapped too, and then I wrapped my hair with a headscarf to disguise all the pins.

I used large size bobby slides.

now that I've taken it out, I still have some stubborn wave patterns in places. it's as good a job as I would get from a salon blowout - well, maybe a bit better. My hair is resistant to going straight. I think I could do a better job with practice, but as it is now it's fine for updos.

and I have a party tonight so I have to find me a party hairstyle!

PraiseCheeses
December 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
What I did - after washing I pulled my hair back fairly smoothly, mad a pony tail and did a braid with long satin scarves as the other strand, and went to bed.

when I got up and took the braid out, my length was still damp but the crown and ends were kinda dry. I misted the ends a bit...

That sounds like a good idea. It's really hard to wrap the crown hair so you don't wind up with any odd bumps, but by letting it dry first, that problem can be eliminated if it's already dried into a more natural pattern. I may be stealing that. :p Thanks for posting it!

I'm so happy you've met with some encouraging results! :D

I've done it a couple more times since my first post, and I'm starting to believe in "beginner's luck." The first wrap went up really easily and came out really well. Subsequent wraps turned up kinks in the crown and escaped ends, and kept falling in my face when I was pinning up my wet hair. (However, both wraps still came out better than if I were to use a hairdryer.) I have noticed that it's much easier to get the hair into the wrap when the ends are very wet, because they're much more willing to stay put rather than sproing out all over the place.

I've also noticed that since I put coconut oil on my hair from ears down while it is wet, the oil can be distributed rather too close to my scalp when I am brushing my hair around my head. It's not so much that my hair looks greasy, but I can tell I'm going to have to be really careful about not using too much oil. Still a lot of work that needs to be done!