PDA

View Full Version : Trim or not? Need opinions

swan
June 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
OK, i admit i must be able to decide about this on my own, but i am not. i had a trim at the end of May 2007 and ever since have been S&D-ing (basically getting rid of damaged ends when i come across any during finger-combing). up until about 2 months ago i was wearing my (with curls stretched Waist and otherwise shrinking to above BSL) hair down almost all the time. but for the past 2 months it's been always up except for sleep. my ends seem to be in a very good shape (i can't find any splits). but first of all, the hemline is terribly thin, something that i don't mind much. my only problem is that some of the ends are somewhat rough (not split though) and i sometimes feel a trim would make me feel better about it. on the other hand, i'm afraid my bad experience with the hairdresser last year who didn't understand what 1/2 inch of trim meant happens again. i cannot do self-trim either as just combing my 3b 3C hair is a project in and of itself. one part of me badly wants a trim and the other part is wondering what happens if i just left it to grow for another year with no trim at all. thoughts? TIA :)

spidermom
June 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'd go for the trim. I'd rather lose more length than I really wanted than to battle with bad ends. Of course, best of all is that you find somebody who trims only a little. Ask around. Go to a salon and pretend to be looking for a new style in the books while you're really observing the stylists. Or go to a barber shop; they seem to know exactly what you mean by "1/2 inch off the very tip-ends, please."

maskedrose
June 3rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'd get a trim, myself. It really helps if you show them how much you want off, rather than just saying "I'd like half and inch off the ends". However, if you mostly wear it up, dry, thin ends might not be much of a concern for you.

swan
June 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks both :)
i mostly feel not getting a trim for more than a year might be harming my hair more than helping it. so in a way, other than dry ends, i'd feel very unorthodox if i didn't trim. but i'm still undecided :(

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
That is exactly why when I trim I do it myself. I do not trust anyone to just cut what I say! But if you have no splits and don't mind the thin ends then why trim? If you do I would only do maybe a half inch at MOST. Have you thought of doing Feye's trimming method? It works very well. I do it after I wet my hair THOROUGHLY. If you did go to a salon SHOW them with a ruler how much a half inch is and tell them under no circumstances do you want any more than that cut. Period. Be VERY clear. If it were me I would go to someone who is recommended by a trusted friend too even for a small trim.

frizzinator
June 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Since the ends are the oldest hair, they are the driest hair you have. What do you think about giving the ends a bit more moisture for a couple of weeks before definately deciding to trim? My ends always look dry, no matter how much I trim.

Have you tried Fey's self trimming method? It really works well and it's easy, but it still required doing it several times for me to be comfortable doing it. It felt empowering to be able to trim it myself, and it looked good too. If you try it and are not happy with the results, surely a hairdresser could re-trim it for you. If the curls prevent you from doing it, do you think it would help if you kept your hair damp with misting during the process?

When I trim in front of the mirror, I think about what the hairdresser used to do, such as visually measuring both sides of the front to be sure they are the same length. When I finish, sometimes I think the back looks too long, and I will blindly trim just a bit of it off with my hands behind my back slightly above the waist.

Saranne772
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I would say trim slightly. Just enough to improve the ends

swan
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
thank you :)
asking for recommendations on a trusted hairdresser is a good idea. the only thing is that i think in my circle, i'm the only one who cares so much about the length and so my folks cannot tell me if the hairdresser is a 'happy cutter' or not. but i'll make sure to ask around if i decide to trim.
no, i've never trimmed myself. i just mentally can't bring myself to think i will comb out my curls, focus on cutting only small bits and pieces at a time etc.and not getting nervous. maybe because i've got so much of natural layers now after a year of not touching my hair that i feel i may make a mess and then to go to a slon to fix it later, which would mean cutting more than what i wanted. i won't be able to make time for this till late June/early July so i've got time to think more.
this morning after washing i realized my hair doesn't look full to me anymore. i know my shedding has calmed down a lot one i changed a few things recently, so so it can't be real. i think it's just the length and thinner ends that somehow give me the illusion of lesser hair. or at least that's i rather see it now :)

FrannyG
June 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Well, if you're going for a trim, and it does sound as though it's time for that, please interview the haircutter before he or she does the trim. Sometimes people's idea of a half inch is like two inches, until they get a look at a tape measure.

I hope you can find someone you can trust. I know you'll be very happy after a little trim. It can make all the difference in the world.

Best of luck. :flower:

Leisa
June 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't trim unless the ends were hellish from dying and frying and bleeching...etc.

If your hair is just naturaly dry at the ends then I would treat the dryness, instead of cutting.

I put Dabur vatika oil on my ends regularily. Also, if the ends are dry then don't brush or comb except VERY gently until they improve. That creates breakage and splits.

So my advise - dont cut. oil the ends daily and stop handling your hair. In one month I bet you'll see an improvement.

Dry hair can be rescued, damaged hair cannot.:) (a few split ends does not constitute damaged hair unless they are all split).

Aronomy
June 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Unless it is chemically or mechanically damaged, I would not trim. I enjoy a blunt hemline as much as the next person, but the length! I want long hair :D now :D.

(I'm a mood for just growing and growing, so listen to others, lol).

swan
June 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
thanks Leisa :)
i put coconut oil after every rinse which is every day and don't comb or brush but just fingercomb. i think i should add to my conditioner time in the shower. currently, iether skip it if i can or just keep it on only for less than 5mins.
i don't know why....but i just feel maybe hair not cut for more than a year is weird !

Leisa
June 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
thanks Leisa :)
i put coconut oil after every rinse which is every day and don't comb or brush but just fingercomb. i think i should add to my conditioner time in the shower. currently, iether skip it if i can or just keep it on only for less than 5mins.
i don't know why....but i just feel maybe hair not cut for more than a year is weird !

Hi Swan:) I haven't cut my hair in 10 months which I know isn't the longest time on the planet, but still...
My hair looks totally fine you wouldn't see any damage.

If the hair is healthy there is no reason to cut it. Unless you want a really blunt hemline.

I don't plan to cut mine at all unless it is unhealthy or gross looking and I see no reason why it would be because I treat it well (thanks to LHC) and I'm not acquiring any damage.:cheese:

swan
June 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
i think you guys convinced me to hold off. early July i'll start getting some honest opinions to see if others think natural layers look bad on me, and if they don't then i'll shoot for another year of no trim :)

dandelion_seeds
June 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
hold out for as long as you can! My ends are in good condition but I am impatient to rid myself of the layers

I haven't had a hair cut in exactly a year this month, and recently polled my friends "to cut, or not to cut."

not surprisingly, all the males responded "No way!", "don't touch it!" etc. and it was the females who suggested pics of "trendy bobs" and the like (yuck!)

swan
June 7th, 2008, 05:20 AM
yay to a year of 'no cut'. i had my one year anniversary at the end of May so maybe shooting for the 2nd anniversary together?