PDA

View Full Version : OMG you guys I DID it!!

nytquill
December 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I finally pulled off a wearable-in-public 5 strand flat braid! Oh I am so pleased with myself I can't even tell you.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q314/nytquill/DSCF1472.jpg

Since coming to LHC I've been working on adding more and more different buns and braids to my repertoire. I only have two or three go-to styles but I like to KNOW a bunch of different ones for when I feel like mixing it up a bit more. So I learned to do a french braid on myself...then a four-strand braid, flat and round. Then I tried 5-strand braid. I understood how it was supposed to work but I could never get it sectioned right at the beginning or I would drop a strand somewhere in the middle or...you get the idea. Just couldn't pull it off.

But every once in a while I get a wild hair to try it again, like today. Except today for some reason it finally clicked, where to hold which strand and how to hand them off and particularly the sectioning, and I actually got a nice even braid pattern all the way to the end. Just tickled pink!

Not sure I have enough fingers to handle 6 strands though :lol: So I think I will go on to learn a 5-strand round braid and stop there. Obviously I need to do this one a few more times too, to really master it - what with the tower of Piza impersonation going on, among other things. But I've done enough braids to know how much better things get with a little practice so it doesn't bother me, it's a first pancake and I'm just proud of myself! :D

LissaJane
December 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Whay that's so cool!
And to think I'm having trouble perfecting the french braid :/

mali
December 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Congrats! It looks so neat and cool!

bunzfan
December 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Oh my you sure have some braiding skills there... i can just about do a four strand one. Well done you

Dragon
December 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Congrats, it looks great.

1hunky5monkeys
December 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Great job! It looks wonderful! :)

nytquill
December 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Whay that's so cool!
And to think I'm having trouble perfecting the french braid :/

I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. A year or so ago I couldn't do a french braid on myself either. Heck, when I started on LHC I knew basically a ponytail, a braid, and a little twist-and-clip move with a claw clip. I always figured it was something either you're taught by your mom when you're very young and you grow up knowing how, or you just miss out. I figured I just didn't have what it took. And then I came here, and really set my mind to learning how, and things started to click. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be doing gorgeous french braids before you know it!

mali
December 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
You could make a tutorial(article),because you're so good! Unless there's already one and than I'm confused:confused:.Altough,you should try.You'll help us all!

chelseamichelle
wow! I could never do that :p

yellowchariot
nytquill, that looks amazing!

I still can't get past dealing with 3 strands LOL :D :p

mrs_coffee
December 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
That is so lovely. I can't believe you did that on yourself. Great job!

renarok
December 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Very very nice job, now please come over and braid mine!

Gumball
December 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Wow! Your skills rock! That braid looks great!

Debra83
December 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Did it take you less than 3 weeks to do that?

sunshine80
December 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM
very pretty!

LissaJane
December 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. A year or so ago I couldn't do a french braid on myself either. Heck, when I started on LHC I knew basically a ponytail, a braid, and a little twist-and-clip move with a claw clip. I always figured it was something either you're taught by your mom when you're very young and you grow up knowing how, or you just miss out. I figured I just didn't have what it took. And then I came here, and really set my mind to learning how, and things started to click. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be doing gorgeous french braids before you know it!

Aw, I don't feel bad. It's my fault really, I've been procrastinating learning how to do a french braid for years (even though I'd always wanted to learn).. I can do it, I just need to make it neater.
Thanks, mebbe someday I'll be in the 5-strand league :p it really does look really cool.

strwbrry dakri
December 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Impressive - You did a great job!

Sarahmoon
December 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well done! I can't do that to save my life :roll::laugh:

Madora
Nytquill, that looks smashing! Golly, you must have arms of steel..and a LOT of determination! Congratulations on a terrific 5 strander!

spidermom
Oh my goodness; so pretty!

MissManda
December 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Your five-strand braid looks nice and neat and so long too! :flower: I wish my five-stranders would look as long as yours does!

enfys
December 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
That's lovely and even all the way down. Congrats!

nytquill
December 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, thanks everybody for all the lovely compliments! You all made me smile even more than getting the braid done ;)

girlcat36
December 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
That is really beautiful!

Cowgirl16
December 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Wow:thumbsup:I'm impressed, it looks great!

allmixedup88
December 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
whoa that looks so cool!

Nae
December 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Wowzers!!! I gotta work on my braiding skills so I can pull that one off too once the hair gets long enough. I bet I could practice on yarn.......yeppers!

That is really, really beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Fairlight63
December 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Looks great! Where did you learn it from? any links?

MaryLA
December 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Nice braid! Wish I knew how to braid like that.

Bonkers57
December 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Good on you! It looks very good. I'm not looking forward to trying to master some of those intricate braids...even though they look so nice.

1nuitblanche
December 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Ooh - that looks super cool! I like it.

princessp
December 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Wow that looks amazing, I haven't attempted that one yet. Nice going!

dolcebeatrix
December 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
OOOOh! So pretty!

gossamer
December 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Wow, nice!!
I can't even imagine how that works, let along figure out how I'd manage two extra strands. Congratulations!

nytquill
December 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks, you guys! :D

This page (http://how-to.ask.com/other/how_to_do_a_5_strand_braid) is what I used to refresh my memory about the crossing pattern (the 2nd paragraph in particular). There is an LHC article for 5 strands but it's for making a round braid and I wanted a flat one.

Next time I make it I'll pay more attention to exactly how I held/transferred the strands and see if I can write out some instructions. I didn't pay exact attention this time, just focused on keeping my thumbs free to manipulate things.

dropinthebucket
December 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
That looks awesome! I'm still working on basic 3-strand - but I can dream! One day I'll work my way up, especially with inspiration like your pic! :)

may1em
December 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Awesome! And you're so encouraging to everyone else, too! :)

Looks great - hope you wore that with pride.

AnnaJamila
December 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Oooooh that's pretty!!! My hair is too slippery to braid easily... And, well, I'm lazy! :D But I need to work at it, you've inspired me!!!

beez1717
December 6th, 2010, 02:45 AM
you are an inspiration for me to ramp up my learning of braids because your braid looks so pretty! congrats! Will you wear it often?

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Wow that looks really cool! :bowtome:

(^(oo)^)

LocustSpawning
December 6th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Wooooow.... I REALLY wish I could do that! I can barely do an average blade on myself if I can't see it properly and it's not at the side, haha. It looks really good.

jessie58
December 6th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Well I am impressed. :cheer:
I cannot even manage a regular 3 strand braid. :o

nytquill
December 6th, 2010, 04:40 AM
you are an inspiration for me to ramp up my learning of braids because your braid looks so pretty! congrats! Will you wear it often?

Well it takes a little longer to do - not ages or anything, but it's not something I can pull off if I'm in a hurry - so when I have less time in the morning it's not ideal. But I definitely plan to try it more often on days when I have the time! Gotta keep practicing it until I get it down pat!

Aw,shucks, you guys are really too kind :o

Vorvolaka
December 6th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Any time I try a 5 strand, I end up in a fankle! Well done!

DARKMARTIAN
December 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Wow totally cool......;)
I can braid a rope and a three strand like the wind......but ive never even attempted a four strand let alone FIVE!!! :o...

Perhaps some inspiration is to be found here.....:)
Great work nytquill!

Valdeon
December 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Good for you! 5-strand is an arm-killer for me :guns: Still got to practice a lot to make it look as neat as yours! ;)

How on earth have you managed to braid it so neatly to the very end? :applause

jenjen10
December 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Wow! I am impressed... I can barely do a three strand french braid that I can wear out in public!

Alvrodul
December 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I am officially in awe! :bowtome:

tinti
December 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Wow, it's so pretty! Good job!

aenflex
December 6th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Good for you! It really looks pretty good - I don't think I could do that without failing a lot 1st :)

nytquill
December 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Alright, I did it again and tried to think about it more as I went along. I can't post articles yet but here's how I did it. If someone wants to make an article out of it you're welcome to, and welcome to edit it so it makes good sense, since I don't have a lot of pratice writing this kind of thing. Tomorrow is my day off and I will try to take some pictures/make some drawings to go along with this, to make it more visual.

I start out by separating into 5 reasonably equal strands. This is the hardest part. I split my hair into 2 uneven sections, holding the larger one in my left hand (I'm left-handed so you may need to reverse all of this). I split the left hand side into 3, putting the left-most strand in between my pinky and ring finger, the 2nd strand in my middle finger and the 3rd in my index finger. I discovered a lot of the time I don't actually hold the strands between my fingers but just curl or crook one finger tightly around the strand or kind of pinch it against the palm of my hand with the one finger. It works for me, it may not for you.

And then split the right-hand section in half as best as possible. I find that it helps to sort of half twist my left hand so the fingers are pointing up, so gravity helps hold the left-hand strands in place while I try to use my left thumb/index to help section the right side.

Number the strands left to right 1-5. The overall idea is to take 1 over 2 and under 3, and then take 5 over 4 and under the new 3 (originally #1). Here's how I manage it. You may find a different way that works better for you of course!

So starting position is: strand 1 between left pinky and ring. Strand 2 in the crook of left middle. Strand 3 in crook of left index. Strand 4 in crook of right middle. Strand 5 between right ring and index. First step is to cross strand 1 over strand 2. To do this I transfer strand 3 to my right index finger, and grab strand 2 with my right thumb and pinch it against my index finger. This leaves my left hand holding only strand 1, which I switch to my index finger. Reach over with your left ring finger and grab back strand 2 by pulling it under strand 1 (actually I usually use my middle finger to do the grabbing and then hook my ring finger around it afterwards). So although strand 2 is the strand that you're moving, you're effectively crossing 1 OVER 2.

Now I'm going to renumber the strands 1-5 from left to right, to make it easier to keep going. So now you have strand 1 (formerly 2) in your left ring finger, and strand 2 (formerly strand 1) in your right thumb. Strand 3-right index, strand 4-right middle, strand 5-right ring. Now you need to pass strand 2 under strand 3. With my left thumb I reach over and hook strand 3, pulling it across into my left hand (middle finger). So again you're actually moving strand 3, but the effect is that strand 2 crosses UNDER strand 3.

Now renumber the strands again. So you have strand 1-left ring, strand 2 (formerly 3)-left middle, strand 3-right thumb (I often end up switching it to right index in the process of swapping strands), strand 4- right middle, strand 5-right ring. Now you need to pass strand 5 over strand 4. This is essentially the same as step 1, but on the opposite side, but I do it a little differently probably because I'm working on my "wrong" (non-dominant) side at this point. I pass strand 3 to my left index, then reach over with my thumb to hook strand 5, pulling it over strand 4 and pinching it between my left thumb and index finger.

Renumbering again, you now have strand 1-left ring, strand 2-left middle, strand 3-leftindex, strand 4(formerly 5)-left thumb, and strand 5(formerly 4) -right middle. You'll want to switch it to right ring at this point. You need to pass strand 4 under strand 3. Reach over with your right thumb and hook onto strand 3, pulling it over strand 4. Put it in your right middle finger. Now you are back to the original starting position, so you just repeat from the top!

christine1989
December 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Its perfect! I could never pull that off. You have some serious skills! :)

feralnature
December 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I am impressed and because of this thread will perhaps give this a try. Thanks :)