PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have problems with "frizzy" hair?

Starblanket
December 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM
The reason why I put frizzy into quotes is because I'm not talking about the type of frizz caused by damaged or dryness. The individual hair strands flip out and make the hair look frizzy despite there being hardly any damage.
The only way that lessens the "frizz" is rope braiding my hair while it's wet. I've had this my entire life and am wondering if anyone else does too, particularly wavy-haired people. It's quite irritating, not to mention strange. :p

spidermom
December 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Oh my goodness, yes-yes-yes. However, my husband tells me that when the light hits it just right, it looks like I have a halo and reminds him of what an angel I am. Frizz is a good thing!

Peter
December 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Yes, I do. I would guess that it's just part of being a wavy, but then again, some folks on here have lovely waves with far less "frizz" than mine.

I tend not to wear braid waves for this reason. Maybe someone else will come along with a solution.

Alix
December 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
My hair frizzes out a lot, it helps if I wait to go outside until it's completely dry but that doesn't often happen. Also my frizzies tend to be a lot kinkier then my natural wave so thats always fun as well.

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah...I have random curly hairs that look like 3b even though the rest of my hair is 2b or 2c. I deal with them in much the same way as you; I dry it in some sort of updo. I gel it and comb it before putting it up so that all hairs are lying in the same direction. This makes my hair look smooth even though it would be a fuzzball if I dry it loose.

Starblanket
December 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
LOL--I must have a really large halo then, it happens throughout my entire length. :D

Has anyone ever successfully gotten rid of the frizz without drying it in some sort of updo?

UltraBella
December 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Using aloe vera on my hair helps me with my natural frizziness. In the winter I have frizz and static usually, but I started diluting a coney conditioner with water as a leave in spritz and then lightly distributing jojoba oil through my hair while still damp, it makes my hair soft, shiny and amazing. Tames my frizz :)

akuamoonmaui
December 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Have you tried satin/silk pillow cases? I noticed a difference the next morning...

spitfire511
December 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I started diluting a coney conditioner with water as a leave in spritz and then lightly distributing jojoba oil through my hair while still damp, it makes my hair soft, shiny and amazing. Tames my frizz :)

I think I'm going to have to try this! I have the same problem. I've been doing the same with a bit of regular conditioner as leave-in, but if it's not coney, then it seems to just exacerbate the problem!

Starblanket
December 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Have you tried satin/silk pillow cases? I noticed a difference the next morning...

I actually purchased one for myself as an early Christmas present, it's still being shipped however. How much of a difference did you notice? I hope it works!

ddiana1979
December 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Even though I've got straight hair, I have the same problem. After experimenting with a few things suggested on the LHC board, I've found that putting a dollop of aloe vera on my freshly CWC'd wet hair & letting it air dry helps a lot. It makes my hair really shiny too. With static-y hair, I use a bit of Static Guard sprayed on a brush, and lightly brush through my hair.

tinywife
December 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I've had this problem forever and tried many leave-in conditioners with no success. What I found actually works: honey! I mix a VERY little honey (just 2 drops for my bob-length hair) with about 2 tablespoons of water and smooth it over my wet hair. Then I comb through it. Ta-da! It dries frizz-free and beautiful! Of course, you'll have to use more for your long hair, but don't use too much - I did this the first time and it ended up hard and "crunchy" from the drying sugar. Although even then, it wasn't at all sticky. I guess that part evaporates?

Starblanket
December 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I mix a VERY little honey (just 2 drops for my bob-length hair) with about 2 tablespoons of water and smooth it over my wet hair.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. I think I'll try doing a honey rinse and leave it in although, my hair tends to get weighed down easily. Thanks for the tip. (:

Does anyone have any ideas as to what causes the individual hair strands to flip out?

Roseate
December 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have any ideas as to what causes the individual hair strands to flip out?

I think it's just the waves not being perfectly lined up, one strand being more wavy than the next, that sort of thing.

There are 2 ways I can keep it down; either confining it as it dries (bun or rope braid), or by doing the full curly-girl treatment (leave in CO, then hang head over and scrunch flaxseed gel into soaking wet hair, plop (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop) in a flour-sack towel, then let down and don't touch til dry). The CG method gives me curlier results but is more trouble the longer my hair gets. I tend to just go with a damp bun these days.

lapushka
December 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Wavy and F hair is not a good combination. I get that kind of frizz also. The hairs at my temples are the most fly-away. They dry quicker than the rest of the hair and fluff and frizz a lot if they're not smoothed down with something. I use a coney curl cream for that or some regular conditioner as a leave-in. Don't know why it happens.

Cowgirl16
December 5th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I know the "Frizzy" your talking about! I used to twist my hair as it was drying too. I have found that doing a SMT weekly and using oil on my hair when it is dry has helped alot. I like Garnier anti=frizz oil (it has jojoba, avacado and other oils in it). Also I really like Africas Best oil; you can find it at Walmart and it is really inexpensive (less than $3 for 24 oz). Hope that helps:blossom:

naereid
December 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, and it drives me crazy because it makes my hair look damaged and dry. It's gotten worse since I hennaed. Aloe vera gel and oiling don't seem to help, so I'm considering going back to cones.

jaine
December 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've also had good luck with the curly girl method...scrunching a hard-hold gel into sopping wet hair right out of the shower (no twisting or squeezing to get the water out, and no towel) then blotting with paper towels to get some moisture out...then leaving it to air dry all day. Scrunching the crunch out after it's 100% dry - but no combing or brushing. I have a picture in my album of the result...very smooth clumpy waves with no frizz: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4650&pictureid=83741
I've read that some people can dry this method faster with a diffuser but that never worked for me; it just separated the extra curly hairs from the others and gave me frizz.

Xandergrammy
December 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Oh my goodness, yes-yes-yes. However, my husband tells me that when the light hits it just right, it looks like I have a halo and reminds him of what an angel I am. Frizz is a good thing!

I like this, spidermom. I'll have to ask my DH if he feels the same way about my frizz.

To the OP, I've come to terms with my frizz. There's always going to be some. I just try to keep my hair moisturized (check out the Movie Star oil shampoo thread) and not touch it very often. And I never brush it unless it's right before I wash it. And also check out Kimberlily's Anti-Frizz Spray.

Xandergrammy
December 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Also I really like Africas Best oil; you can find it at Walmart and it is really inexpensive (less than $3 for 24 oz). Hope that helps:blossom:

How do you use this oil, Cowgirl. I have a whole bottle of this and currently use it in my mister (Kimberlily's Anti-Frizz Spray)

alwayssmiling
December 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have awful frizz that has been the bain of my life. Its not the usual frizz, its a halo of wirey, thick coarse hair that is totally a different texture to the rest. Its right on the crown and pings up like a corkscrew. I can pull and pull at a stand and it is very difficult to break it is so thick. :eek:

If I have been out in damp weather they are very prominant, they can be smoothed and softened using conditioners but to be honest they are always visible to some degree. Only flat ironing makes my hair super frizz free...so I have to weigh up whether I am prepared to live with a bit of frizz for the sake of long pretty hair - though I keep hoping that as my hair gets longer they may be weighed down somewhat. :rolleyes:

Annalouise
December 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM

This works for me or a sleep cap.

GRU
December 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Check out the Wurly and Curly thread!!! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) for all kinds of great "been there / done that" advice.

Not brushing/combing hair and careful handling while drying, in addition to plenty of moisturizing products, would be my suggestions.

growingmyhair
December 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure frizz means a person has curly hair. I have frizz. A friend of mine all her life was dead sure she has slightly wavy hair that is "terribly frizzy" and about five years ago she figured out that her hair was indeed curly.

Annalouise
December 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Check out the Wurly and Curly thread!!! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) for all kinds of great "been there / done that" advice.

Not brushing/combing hair and careful handling while drying, in addition to plenty of moisturizing products, would be my suggestions.

Yes, the moisturizing products is key!

I'm pretty sure frizz means a person has curly hair. I have frizz. A friend of mine all her life was dead sure she has slightly wavy hair that is "terribly frizzy" and about five years ago she figured out that her hair was indeed curly.

That's funny. How did she figure out her hair was curly? Did she start moisturizing it?

BrightEyes7
December 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I do a deep oil soak (coconut) before almost every wash, even if it's just 30 minutes. I've also noticed good results from going SLS free.

Another thing that I *think* has helped is I have started rinsing my shampoo out rightside up and then again upside down. Then I rinse it one more time right side up real quick before putting on my conditioner. It seems like a lot of extra work but it's not. And I notice a difference on days I forget to do it!

But I think it's just a curse of being a wavy or curly... I think it's just the regrowth and since it's shorter hair it's a bit wavier/curlier.

ETA: I think the longer and more healthy your hair gets the better your frizz will get. That is what I've noticed since being here at LHC!

Debra83
December 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner has drastically helped me with dried, frizzies. I use a little as a leave in after I use it as the C's in CWC. It's got 3 different types of oils in it.

I started this thread with pics of the difference. Is your hair kind of like my first picture? I cwc'd in that picture but not with the GF product.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50881

kathyblack1
December 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hmm, I am noticing a couple of posters on this thread saying their hair is coarser than the majority of hair on their head. Perhaps, it's that the hair is a different texture all together. I have atleast 4 different textures on my head.

jesis
December 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM
This is what the olive oil and honey treatment helps with for my hair. My hair stylist recommends using pomade on your flyaways to get them to lay flat.

Yes, the moisturizing products is key!

That's funny. How did she figure out her hair was curly? Did she start moisturizing it?

I also thought my hair was wavy with a lot of frizz until just a few months ago. How did I find out it was curly? I let it airdry one day, without touching it with a comb or anything else, and looked at the texture of my curls. I also tried out some gel and scrunching, and got curly results with that. From there I started my curly hair regimen. :)

hazelnut
December 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I also have a frizz problem. I was hoping that it would just go away the longer my hair gets because I moisturize it like crazy, but still have problems with frizz.

Cailie
December 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I started diluting a coney conditioner with water as a leave in spritz and then lightly distributing jojoba oil through my hair while still damp, it makes my hair soft, shiny and amazing. Tames my frizz :)

I do something similar :

- on after shower wet hair

- get rig of excess water gently with towel

- use a tab of no-cone creamy deep conditionner** (just a little tab), rub trough hands and then distribute on the hair ... as a leave in

** using this one right now, with great results !
http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291790618.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291790618.jpg/1.html)

- then do the same with a tiny amount of oil if you feel necessary (evoo for me)

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291790833.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291790833.jpg/1.html)

- let dry the way you want. I find that letting it dry in 2 low rope braids gives me amazing hair and defined big curls

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291791639.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291791639.jpg/1.html)

- tadam !

Before night, when I don't wash my hair, I often spray some water and add a tab of deep-conditionner in the water to spray on my lenght.
This keeps it sooo soft (can also be done in the morning, if I want to wear my curls down and sleeping on them got my style sort of funky looking :p)

love those very small bottles to do the spraying, because I only make a little each time (always fresh mix for this)
http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1291790751.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1291790751.jpg/1.html)

The trick is NOT to overdo it !

musicallberrii
December 7th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Using aloe vera on my hair helps me with my natural frizziness. In the winter I have frizz and static usually, but I started diluting a coney conditioner with water as a leave in spritz and then lightly distributing jojoba oil through my hair while still damp, it makes my hair soft, shiny and amazing. Tames my frizz :)

I do this. I use a diluted bottle of conditioner with water and spray it on my hair when its almost dry.. it helps a lot with frizzys, even more so if I braid my hair after I do it! If I find that I have some frizzys through the day, just spray a little on my brush or fingers and brush it through my hair, and voila, problem solved! :)

Sheltie_Momma
December 8th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Product wise here is what works for me: Aubrey Organics Honey suckle Rose conditioner, conconut milk deep conditioning and Nightbloomings panacea. (not all at once!) I mean the shorter top layer of really curly hair (not damage) is still there - but is much better behaved. I also have it behind my ears which drives me batty.

Letting it dry in braids or a bun works well (although OP is lookign for alternatives to that) but sometimes I will bun up just that top nutty layer and let it dry bunned while letting the rest dry loose.

On special occasions, like portraits or date night, truth be told, I just flat iron those pieces, they never grow anyway. (Just separate out that top nutty friz section and the ones behind my ears and run the iron over them - I can't tell that it's hurting them much and they can't look any crappier in my opinion you know?)

aenflex
December 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Wash less often
light cones
Satin sleep cap
Coconut oil

My army against coarse hair, fly-away and occasional non-damage-related frizz :)
Good luck!

xoxophelia
December 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Lately I CO with VO5 throughout the week and put a small amount of jojoba oil through my hair when it is down or a bit more and put it in a bun. Then once a week I wash it with shampoo and conditioner..

When it is nearly dry I bun it for a little while to help it calm down. This has helped my hair a *lot*... I think the jojoba oil is making a huge difference.

jojo
December 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Chairlady of frizzy hair checking in :D hell yeah I have the frizz, my nickname at school was Kate bush because of the frizz, though I did used to brush it back in those days!

Morrocanoil or CHI serum really are very good, both coney which frizz goes into hibernation when it sees cones!

Brushing is a big no,no and the comb is your friend. Frizz is normally a result of waves which are not being brought out, since ive stopped doing the opposite my hair wants its less frizzy, i still have a halo but not the full "Hey its the hair bear bunch" look! anymore :D

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have a lot of frizz like that, especially in the winter.

To get it at it's ultimate, I have to braid it slightly damp then brush it. Biggest hair ever.

I usually oil the morning after washing (I wash in the evening) so my buns look nice and shiney. I've never found a long term solution. It's got better since my canopy breakage from the five year ponytail grew out (high school)...

Lianna
December 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
To get it at it's ultimate, I have to braid it slightly damp then brush it. Biggest hair ever.

Same here. If I do that it's not a pretty sight. Braids are not good for my hair.

GRU
December 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Could you beat this?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout-1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(scary thing is, I didn't even TRY to poof it out.... that's just what happens if I brush it!)

bluesnowflake
December 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Until the day after its wash my individual hairs wave in all different directions, causing a frizzy look. It dissipates the day after the wash, though- I never have been able to get it to do otherwise.

enfys
December 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Could you beat this?

No. No I couldn't. But I'm tempted to try anyway...

faeflame
December 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
It seems no matter what I do I have a halo of frizzies around the top of my head. Contrary to my siggie pic, my hair is straight and this just seems to be a crop of wiry, shorter hairs that like to hang out and make updos look frizzy for me. I've tried taming them with oil or leave ins, but my hair gets weighed down easily now that the perm is history.

Roscata
December 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure if this link was posted yet because I haven't read the entire thread (sorry), but the effect of frizz reduction is amazing.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+frizz

RitaPG
December 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yes, it is kind of annoying sometimes, especially when I walk around like that all day and don't notice that untill the end of the day.
A tiny amount of leave-in conditioner, or oil, works wonders for me :)

GRU
December 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
No. No I couldn't. But I'm tempted to try anyway...

Oooooh, do I detect a "frizz-off" competition? Instead of "Dancing With The Stars" we could have "Brushing With The Frizz"! :lol:

JulietCapulet
December 9th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Oy so much! It is one big battle.

jojo
December 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Could you beat this?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout-1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(scary thing is, I didn't even TRY to poof it out.... that's just what happens if I brush it!)

Oh dear! that is hey its the hair bear bunch hair! so happy to see your hair behaves its self these days!:D

Laurenji
December 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I always call this "my hair pretending to be curly when it isn't." Most of my hair is 1a/1b, but I get a few that are just really curly at the end and won't lie flat, whether they're moisturized, dry, conditioned, or whatever. It gets worse when it's humid, or when my hair has been dry and gets slightly wet.

I haven't really found anything to fix this except a tight updo, or a flat iron (except I don't use heat anymore...)

patienceneeded
December 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
My hair does the same...it's better on the day after I wash it or if I use oils. I used to use a few drops of a shine serum and it generally helps. I just switched to 100% Argan oil and it seems to work just as well. It's annoying, and if the weather is wet (esp. warm/wet) my hair gets huge and poofy. Keeping it contained helps also. I've noticed that the problem is worse when my hair is shorter. Perhaps the sheer weight of my hair helps pull the frizzies flat?

GRU
December 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Oh dear! that is hey its the hair bear bunch hair! so happy to see your hair behaves its self these days!:D

We've come to an understanding, me and my hair... http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/whip-1.gif

:lol: