PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Waist length thin hair?

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My main goal is waist length and maybe a little bit longer. My hair is so thin and fine that it looks awful minutes after I comb it. I'm a little worried about how it's going to look. Show me some beautiful waist length or longer thin hair!! :D

Annalouise
December 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. Your hair in the picture does not look thin though.:)

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Me too. I'm really hoping some people with long fine thin hair show up and offer us some inspiration. :D I've seen a few signature pics in some other threads with gorgeous, healthy fine and thin hair that looks good long, so maybe they'll pop in. If not, it's up to us to be that inspiration!

I went to college with a girl who had fine, thin hair down to her waist and maybe slightly past it. Probably a 1b in texture. Definitely a i in thickness. It looked gorgeous.

And BellCat, your hair looks beautiful and not-at-all-thin in your picture. :)

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
awh thanks for the compliments, but it really is thin if you look through my album. In my signature my hair is freshly combed, if only it could look like that all the time! :)

girlcat36
December 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
If you look at the first pic in my photo album, my hair is combed out, very thin, and waist length.
It doesn't look as thin as it actually is because I am wearing a black shirt in the picture.

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM
If you look at the first pic in my photo album, my hair is combed out, very thin, and waist length.
It doesn't look as thin as it actually is because I am wearing a black shirt in the picture.
wow your hair is so pretty and not too thin at all! i love the curls. I'm so excited to see how my hair grows out! hopefully my ends don't get too thin!

girlcat36
December 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
wow your hair is so pretty and not too thin at all! i love the curls. I'm so excited to see how my hair grows out! hopefully my ends don't get too thin!
Thank you :).
My ends are very, very thin so I've been microtrimming for the past few months.
I have two more inches to go before I get to waist with my hair curly, so that will probably take me six months with microtrimming.
My hair is thin, but it doesn't look any better short, so I will continue to grow.

luxepiggy
December 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Here you go (^(oo)^)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=87027

A rare side view photo!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/hairside.jpg

Randomly OT: I had no idea my hair used to be classic length. Whoa, said the little piggy ( ' (oo) ' )

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
My main goal is waist length and maybe a little bit longer. My hair is so thin and fine that it looks awful minutes after I comb it. I'm a little worried about how it's going to look. Show me some beautiful waist length or longer thin hair!! :D

I'm puzzled because to me your hair looks like it's already waist length...are you thinking of a different length? And the pictures in your album don't look thin to me...

girlcat36
December 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
BellCat, I checked your album, and I see no reason for you not to keep growing! I see what you are talking about---your hair is thin and fine, like mine(but mine is curly), and this type of hair tends to clump up at the ends, looking piece-y. It's just the nature of the hair type; I am finally learning this!
We get so used to looking at thick, full hemlines here at LHC that we forget what 'real' hair looks like.
I made a point of checking out all the hemlines at the bank yesterday. I was surprised at how thin and piece-y they were! We get skewed by all the hair pics here at LHC.

Wind Dragon
December 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
BellCat, I checked your album, and I see no reason for you not to keep growing! I see what you are talking about---your hair is thin and fine, like mine(but mine is curly), and this type of hair tends to clump up at the ends, looking piece-y. It's just the nature of the hair type; I am finally learning this!
We get so used to looking at thick, full hemlines here at LHC that we forget what 'real' hair looks like.

This, but I'm with others -- your hair really doesn't look like a i. Are you sure you didn't measure diameter instead of circumference?

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
my hair isn't at my waist just yet i want it kind of inbetween waist and hip i guess :S It looks so thin and scraggly when im out and about unless i brush it! i was suprised when i took my signature pic how much thicker my hair looks but its not really that thick at all :(

ETA: how do i measure the the thickness? i always just assumed it's i

Eire
December 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
how do i measure the the thickness? i always just assumed it's i

It's ponytail circumference. I think you are i if it's less than 2 inches.

1hunky5monkeys
December 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

jojo
December 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Looking at your hair id also say it looks waist length, your hands look to be placed at just above hip. to measure your circumference, put your hair in a pony and measure just over the elastic but not on top of the elastic, I think your hair looks very pretty and not too thin. There are lots of thin haired long hairs on here, it is do able and just as beautiful IMHO as thicker hair.

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
i just quickly put my hair into a side pony, although i still have a bit of amla oil in my hair it measures at 2inches in width :S

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I just did a search and pulled up this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine+thin) for those of us with fine and thin hair. Haven't looked through more than a few pages yet, but I bet we'll find some inspiration there!

luxepiggy, you're probably tired of hearing this, but your hair is amazing.

girlcat36: We get skewed by all the hair pics here at LHC.

I started to notice that as well. While out and about yesterday, not only did I notice a few thick ponytails, but so many more thin ones! A couple girls had hair (maybe BSL) tied back in ponytails that looked to be about the width of my thumb. Of course, they were dyed and fried, so who knows what their healthy hair would have been? In any case, it made me appreciate my 2.25 inch circumference.

Then I came back into here. :p

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
okay i just uploaded a photo of my hair into my album from the front- again just freshly co-washed and combed so it looks thicker or maybe it's not as thin as I think :s? if you see in the pic its not at my waist. It looks shorter from the front for some reason. I want it to reach my belly button

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
okay i just uploaded a photo of my hair into my album from the front- again just freshly co-washed and combed so it looks thicker or maybe it's not as thin as I think :s? if you see in the pic its not at my waist. It looks shorter from the front for some reason. I want it to reach my belly button

That makes sense! Waist length in front will be a lot longer than waist length in back; some length in front is hidden by pulling it over the shoulder and some hidden by the U-shaped hemline (which is beautiful, by the way!)

I think your hair looks like it has clumpy waves (a good thing - lots of people try to get the same exact effect with styling products). It definitely doesn't look thin to me! It's also very shiny and healthy looking.

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
thanks :) yeah definately i'm aiming for my hair to be at my bellybutton in the front i always thought that was waist :P

luxepiggy
December 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
i just quickly put my hair into a side pony, although i still have a bit of amla oil in my hair it measures at 2inches in width :S

wait, wait . . . width or circumference?!? ( ' (oo) ' )

I just did a search and pulled up this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine+thin) for those of us with fine and thin hair. Haven't looked through more than a few pages yet, but I bet we'll find some inspiration there!

luxepiggy, you're probably tired of hearing this, but your hair is amazing.

I started to notice that as well. While out and about yesterday, not only did I notice a few thick ponytails, but so many more thin ones! A couple girls had hair (maybe BSL) tied back in ponytails that looked to be about the width of my thumb. Of course, they were dyed and fried, so who knows what their healthy hair would have been? In any case, it made me appreciate my 2.25 inch circumference.

Then I came back into here. :p

Thank you! On the contrary, I never tire of hearing it - helps me maintain my vastly overinflated self-image, thus:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/medal-1.jpg

Hehe . . . just kidding! As you mentioned, being a member of LHC is good for one's hair humility (^(oo)^)v

BellCat
December 4th, 2010, 03:45 PM
wait, wait . . . width or circumference?!? ( ' (oo) ' )

Thank you! On the contrary, I never tire of hearing it - helps me maintain my vastly overinflated self-image, thus:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/medal-1.jpg

Hehe . . . just kidding! As you mentioned, being a member of LHC is good for one's hair humility (^(oo)^)v
em width i think :P not sure lol

Annalouise
December 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you :).
My ends are very, very thin so I've been microtrimming for the past few months.
I have two more inches to go before I get to waist with my hair curly, so that will probably take me six months with microtrimming.
My hair is thin, but it doesn't look any better short, so I will continue to grow.

Our hair is very similar in thickness, but yours is more curly.
My hair is about 2 inches from my waist and it is so thin at the ends. It kindof makes me wonder if I could even grow classic length. I've also found that if I let the curls clump together then my hair is less likely to tangle. If I brushed or combed my hair then all the individual strands would start to matt and its horrible.
My husband tells me I should cut my hair because its too thin to wear it long. But I tell him if I cut it I'll just have SHORT, thin hair. But he says that it looks less thin if you cut it blunt at the shoulders.
Its hard to keep growing your hair when your family and friends tell you to cut it. Oh well.:)

Luxepiggy - what do you use on your hair? It looks so shiny and conditioned! And it doesn't look thin maybe because it is straight so it stays together.

My ponytail is 2 inches measured by circumference.

nytquill
December 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Did you wrap the measuring tape all the way around your ponytail or did you measure straight across from one side to the other? Circumference = circle, all the way around. Width or diameter is a straight line through the middle. The i/ii/iii measurements are related to circumference.

Hair always looks shorter in front than in the back. For one thing the hair in the front of the face usually has a shorter terminal (maximum) length than the hair in the back. For another thing hair in the front tends to have more breakage since it gets caught in zippers and stuff more.

I used to always hate my thin hair. I had a massive shed when I was 13 and lost a lot of thickness that I felt like I never really gained back. Although by now it's been so long I have no real memory of how thick my hair was compared to now. But I was always haunted by this idea of "how thin my hair is." Wherever I went I would spot lovely thick ponytails and sigh to myself. When I signed up, same as you I automatically put myself as a i because "my hair is so thin."

Then one day for fun, I measured. 2 1/2". That's a ii. That means my hair is NORMAL. Maybe not lusciously thick but definitely normal-thickness hair. And then I started forcing myself to notice all the thin ponytails out there (and on here). And I realized lots of people have hair like mine, or thinner than mine. And my hair's not so thin after all. I also noticed how much curls affect my perception of the thickness of hair. I'll think "oh what glorious thick hair!" and then I realize, it's not that thick, it just looks big because it's curly. My hair is straight so I don't get the benefit of that little illusion - but then there's lots I don't have to deal with because I don't have curls.

Sure, there are some updos that don't look right on me. But there are lots of updos that don't look right on super-thick hair either. It's not necessarily a blessing. You just have to adjust everything, hair care, styling, etc. to your hair. The thick-haired folks have to do the same thing.

Your hair really doesn't look that thin to me but like I said I understand how you can be bothered by it and kind of have the thought of "thin hair" burned into your mind. And if your hair measures 2" around then you're in ii territory which is not thin, but normal.

If it'll make you feel better, here is a shot of my hair taken just this week. It's in a braided half-up but you can see how small the braid is and how thin the remaining hair is. It's not very thick, but it's actually not considered thin.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q314/nytquill/DSCF1469.jpg

Another thing that really has made a difference in my opinion of my hair is just finding the right hair care routine that makes my hair look its best. If you look at my signature, in the picture on the left the hair is kind of sticking out more at the ends, and clinging to the curve of my head at the top, and pretty dull looking and kind of stringy. This was with CO. I've changed to coconut oil shampoo (right picture) and that works so much better for me, my hair is more often glossy and shiny. It still isn't thicker but it looks and feels so much more glamorous that the thinness doesn't matter so much and it isn't as noticeable. It's always possible the products you're using on your hair are contributing to the problem as you see it, and that a change in routine might change your opinion too :)

jojo
December 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Dont go off bellybutton, go off the narrowest part of your torso, if i went off my bellybutton, waist would be at knee length! (slight exaggeration!:o) and measure your hair without oil!>>>>>>>>>>>runs off to check new photos!:)

mellie89
December 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
If your ponytail was 2" around when your hair was oiled, I bet you're a ii. My hair gets very compressed when it's oiled, so the circumference measurement is smaller. Try measuring after a wash, as soon as your hair dries. Your hair does not look thin to me in any way!

As others have said, make sure you're measuring around the base of your ponytail. I think you are probably doing it right, though. If your ponytail had a 2 inch width, its circumference would be over 6 inches. :p

Katleh
December 5th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have super thin hair and I'm also worried how it would look longer :/ Now I'm usually keeping my hair in bun so it doesn't look so thin. I do have some layers thou, but I'm afraid that even when I grow them out it doesn't change much :(

Here is my hair in rope braid and my pinky to compare :D

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/Murura/Picture33.jpg

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I dont know why all my life I just thought it was so thin..especially when I was younger I didn't treat it well at all with heat nearly every day and chemical dyes. Since I got it trimmed last year it has gotten thicker but I guess the idea has just stuck in my head and i'm constantly comparing it to everyone elses much thicker hair in my family.

Last night I quickly measured my pony tail across with a measuring tape not around so when I wash my hair next I'll measure.

If your worried about your hair too, I found that when I stopped using heat completely got a trim and ate LOADS of nuts and seeds my hair got thicker. I also started taking Biotin and MSM about a month ago as I heard the biotin thickens the stands? but haven't noticed anything change besides my nails,eyelashes and eyebrows growing like weeds and thicker babyhairs around my hairline :O ?? So if your not taking that already you should buy some and try it out.

BeatlesFanGirl
December 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
awh thanks for the compliments, but it really is thin if you look through my album. In my signature my hair is freshly combed, if only it could look like that all the time! :)

I checked your album and I think your hair looks lovely and healthy!! :) It doesn't look as thin as you may feel about it! Just don't care what others might think of your hair - focus on how your long hair makes you feel and what you want to do with your hair! :) (Oh yeah and try to take good care - healthy lifestyle, good products, no chemicals/heat - your hair will be thankful for that. :)

Velvettt
December 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
LHC measures length in a unique way. Bend to the side and see where you fold. When you stand up, that same place should be the slimmest place on your torso. That's waist. When you stand with your hands cupped over your hip bones, that's hip.

I know when I joined here, I was puzzled by the real world's idea of waist vs the LHC waist measurement. What I would call waist is hip, instead.

My hair is very thin. It used to be 3 inches, but a Mammoth Shed in 2007 cut it down to 1.5 inches. Over the last 3 years, it got back to 2.5, but I just had another shed and I'm back down to 1.75 inches. :(

BeatlesFanGirl
December 5th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I dont know why all my life I just thought it was so thin..especially when I was younger I didn't treat it well at all with heat nearly every day and chemical dyes. Since I got it trimmed last year it has gotten thicker but I guess the idea has just stuck in my head and i'm constantly comparing it to everyone elses much thicker hair in my family.

Last night I quickly measured my pony tail across with a measuring tape not around so when I wash my hair next I'll measure.

If your worried about your hair too, I found that when I stopped using heat completely got a trim and ate LOADS of nuts and seeds my hair got thicker. I also started taking Biotin and MSM about a month ago as I heard the biotin thickens the stands? but haven't noticed anything change besides my nails,eyelashes and eyebrows growing like weeds and thicker babyhairs around my hairline :O ?? So if your not taking that already you should buy some and try it out.

I understand your worry - I also feel that my hair is thin (circumference, not individual hair) and I hardly have any volume, while others always make compliments how beautiful my hair is. :D

You should reliese those 'oh my hair is so thin' thughts and use pisitive visualization on how you want your hair to be. That also works! :) Well, it worked for me. :D

I have an other question, did biotin cause breakout or spots? I want to try biotin but my skin is tend to break out. :S

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I understand your worry - I also feel that my hair is thin (circumference, not individual hair) and I hardly have any volume, while others always make compliments how beautiful my hair is. :D

You should reliese those 'oh my hair is so thin' thughts and use pisitive visualization on how you want your hair to be. That also works! :) Well, it worked for me. :D

I have an other question, did biotin cause breakout or spots? I want to try biotin but my skin is tend to break out. :S
Thanks for your advice! I'm going to try and accept it more and stop comparing so much :) your hair looks amazing in your av btw !! I've been taking the biotin the past month and I have broken out in a few random spots.. not what I would call cystic acne though. So I bought a multivitamin which contained alot of different Vitamin B's as I heard taking one with biotin stops the breaking out and it did! Thank god!

LHC measures length in a unique way. Bend to the side and see where you fold. When you stand up, that same place should be the slimmest place on your torso. That's waist. When you stand with your hands cupped over your hip bones, that's hip.

I know when I joined here, I was puzzled by the real world's idea of waist vs the LHC waist measurement. What I would call waist is hip, instead.

My hair is very thin. It used to be 3 inches, but a Mammoth Shed in 2007 cut it down to 1.5 inches. Over the last 3 years, it got back to 2.5, but I just had another shed and I'm back down to 1.75 inches. :(
your hair looks so healthy and shiny :)! did you do anything in particular to bring it back to its thickness the last time? Do you take any supplements to help?

Charlotte
December 5th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Hi there :waving: Your hair looks beautiful and very healthy. :)
My hair is only just ii in thickness and extremely fine (the photo below shows the resulting waves of a french braid - I do this to make it look thicker). The slightest puff of wind will make it blow all over the place and knot up badly. It does have highlights in the length which I guess make it slightly more fragile although it still shines a lot. I wear it up most of the time. It's now just past hip on the way to tailbone (I hope :o ). :blossom:

Velvettt
December 5th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks, BellCat. :) I did everything anyone could possibly do to stop the shedding. I really don't know exactly what stopped it. :shrug:

Since then, I've noticed that if I skip my vitamins, I lose more hair. I take CountryLife Maxi Hair vitamins, and Carlson Fish Oil capsules. I've taken those for years.

The recent shed was due to a temporary glitch in my thyroid medication. It's fixed now, but I'm still shedding more than I want.

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Charlotte your hair looks great! looking at everyone's hair is making me happier and more excited to reach my goal! :D I know what you mean about the wind, I have to plait my hair all the time when I go out to stop it from knotting like crazy!!!! Good luck with your growth! :)

Velvett, do fish oils work? I was thinking of getting some.

littlenvy
December 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Ladies! All your hair looks so beautiful :)

Gives me a lot of hope that mine won't looks so bad once I get to waist. :o

MsBubbles
December 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM
S

I am absolutely baffled that you would think your hair 'thin' if your thickness is ii/iii :hmm:

Maybe you have some lower layers to make you think your hair is 'thin'?

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
*snip*

Luxepiggy - what do you use on your hair? It looks so shiny and conditioned! And it doesn't look thin maybe because it is straight so it stays together.

My ponytail is 2 inches measured by circumference.

Thank you! I agree, from the back it looks less thin due to the straightness because the hairs sort of distribute themselves evenly from side to side. But as soon as I turn to the side, you can see that it's a very thin layer! You know that expression, sheets of hair? I've always thought of myself as having a sheet of hair rather than sheets!

I've been CO washing for a couple of months now, using Fekkai Brilliant Glossing on the scalp and Pantene Ice Shine on the length/ends. My hair loves cones - I've been using Pantene for over 10 years, never had to clarify. A final rinse with very cold water has also been part of my routine for years.

When my hair has air-dried somewhat but is still damp, I blow dry on low and finish it off with the cold shot.

That's it! My hair, unlike the rest of me, is very low-maintenance (^(oo)^)

CarpeDM
December 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Ok maybe I need glasses, but I don't see any thin hair here???

Annalouise
December 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Thank you! I agree, from the back it looks less thin due to the straightness because the hairs sort of distribute themselves evenly from side to side. But as soon as I turn to the side, you can see that it's a very thin layer! You know that expression, sheets of hair? I've always thought of myself as having a sheet of hair rather than sheets!

I've been CO washing for a couple of months now, using Fekkai Brilliant Glossing on the scalp and Pantene Ice Shine on the length/ends. My hair loves cones - I've been using Pantene for over 10 years, never had to clarify. A final rinse with very cold water has also been part of my routine for years.

When my hair has air-dried somewhat but is still damp, I blow dry on low and finish it off with the cold shot.

That's it! My hair, unlike the rest of me, is very low-maintenance (^(oo)^)

Thanks luxepiggy. Your hair is so shiny and pretty that I didn't notice the thinness from the profile shot. I have a couple questions for you - 1. do you trim? (do you think cones gives you split ends?) 2. do you do deep moisture treatments? and 3. do you use a leave in? Oh and one more question, 4. do you oil your hair? And sorry, one more, do you use a comb or brush?

I've never tried Pantene. I don't know why? Some people swear by it. I've been tempted to try the 'beautiful lengths' conditioner. Also, I think you are the only person I've met here who uses cones and doesn't use shampoo to clarify. That is interesting. I agree with you about not clarifying though. Last time I did that I ended up with dried out desert hair.:( I've been doing SMT's with a deep conditioner to get the moisture back into my hair.

Your hair is very inspiring.:) I've heard of others who always do a cold rinse at the end. I've never tried it myself. I'd like to get more shine in my hair so maybe I'll try the products you mentioned and see if it makes a difference. I think shiny hair is the best. Also, if the hair is shiny, then it distracts one's attention from the thinness. I think shine is REALLY important.:)

girlcat36
December 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Our hair is very similar in thickness, but yours is more curly.
My hair is about 2 inches from my waist and it is so thin at the ends. It kindof makes me wonder if I could even grow classic length. I've also found that if I let the curls clump together then my hair is less likely to tangle. If I brushed or combed my hair then all the individual strands would start to matt and its horrible.

You probably can get to classic. It will take longer, and you will probably have fairytale ends, but you'll get there. :)
I go back and forth over the "is my hair too thin to be long" thing. But I realize that if I cut it, I will have the same hemline but it will be a SHORT thin hemline. My hair always separates at the hemline, no matter the length.
Can you trim your own hair? I always do my own trimming, it was the only was to assure getting any appreciable length. I have had my fair share of scissor-happy stylists. They tend to cut back to the thickness they feel is appropriate.

Here is a pic of my hair at 27"(two inches from waist); it is waist when brushed out, but I never wear it brushed out.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/012-2.jpg

It's very thin, look at all the space between the ringlets. My ends are always going to look like that, I won't delude myself.
Should I cut it? Is it too thin to be long? I'm sure some would say yes, but I will continue to grow anyway.

Have you seen this thread? I am using this method to take care of my hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025

Angeletti
December 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Your curls are very pretty girlcat36, you should keep them : )

I'm in the same boat though, sometimes I feel I should just whack inches off my ends to make my hair not appear so thin at the bottom, but I'm hoping to start maintaining them soon so hopefully I will have nice thick ends a year from now.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=87143

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I'm in the same boat though, sometimes I feel I should just whack inches off my ends to make my hair not appear so thin at the bottom, but I'm hoping to start maintaining them soon so hopefully I will have nice thick ends a year from now.
wow angeletti your hair is sooo prettyy :) i hope mine looks that good when it reaches TB

girlcat36
December 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Angeletti! I have often come across pics of your hair here, and it always catches my eye! My dream hair!
Now I find nothing wrong with your thinner ends. It occurs to me that the longer the hair, the more acceptable I find thin ends.
So those of us with thin hemlines need to push through the APL to Hip area, and I think we will end up happier with what we have when we reach those lengths.
Getting there is difficult, we may be tempted to believe that our hair will look thicker at shoulder length and let someone talk us into a cut! :mad:

Angeletti
December 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks BellCat and girlcat36 : )

Annalouise
December 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
You probably can get to classic. It will take longer, and you will probably have fairytale ends, but you'll get there. :)
I go back and forth over the "is my hair too thin to be long" thing. But I realize that if I cut it, I will have the same hemline but it will be a SHORT thin hemline. My hair always separates at the hemline, no matter the length.
Can you trim your own hair? I always do my own trimming, it was the only was to assure getting any appreciable length. I have had my fair share of scissor-happy stylists. They tend to cut back to the thickness they feel is appropriate.

Here is a pic of my hair at 27"(two inches from waist); it is waist when brushed out, but I never wear it brushed out.

It's very thin, look at all the space between the ringlets. My ends are always going to look like that, I won't delude myself.
Should I cut it? Is it too thin to be long? I'm sure some would say yes, but I will continue to grow anyway.

Noooo, don't cut it!:) Your hair is in great condition. It looks really moisturized and shiny! Whatever you are doing it is working. I have started reading the thread you gave me, it's a long one. I think putting oil in shampoo is a great idea. I used to use a shampoo that had olive oil and coconut oil in it and it worked well for me. I do CO now and I wonder if I should add some oil to my conditioner? I thought CO would be really moisturizing but it turns out that I still need to do deep treatments, and probably, I should do an overnight oil twice a week.
I figure if one can keep their hair healthy and shiny then it really doesn't matter if it is thin because the hair will look nice and that is all that matters.

Don't you hate that about curly hair? You have to grow it twice as long to make it look as long as other people's hair. Not fair right. And then if you are really tall on top of that it would take forever to get to waist. You'd probably have to start growing it as a baby to reach knee length! (I digress...)

I think I will be trimming my own hair because last time I had it professionally done the stylist exclaimed about how THIN my hair was! :rolleyes: I know if I walk in to any salon they are going to tell me that my hairstyle doesn't suit me. So why pay someone to tell you that they don't think you look good!..:)

Ohh, that is fun isn't it? If I was to listen to them and my family and husband I'd have already cut off my hair by now.

vampodrama
December 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
My hair is not waist length yet (at least I don't consider it waist-length), but it is on the thin side (2,5 inches circumference). It is also very straight, sleek and has zero volume. But it does have killer shine! :D

I am going to grow it at least to tailbone and there is no one in the world who's gonna say to me that my hair is too thin to be that long. My hair, my business. And trust me, I have had plenty of "helpful" people saying to me that my hair would look so much better short and styled, and curled and whatnot.

Not gonna happen. My hair is going to stay long, straight, and completely natural (well, henna is natural too :p )

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
My hair is not waist length yet (at least I don't consider it waist-length), but it is on the thin side (2,5 inches circumference). It is also very straight, sleek and has zero volume. But it does have killer shine! :D

I am going to grow it at least to tailbone and there is no one in the world who's gonna say to me that my hair is too thin to be that long. My hair, my business. And trust me, I have had plenty of "helpful" people saying to me that my hair would look so much better short and styled, and curled and whatnot.

Not gonna happen. My hair is going to stay long, straight, and completely natural (well, henna is natural too :p )
yeah I know how you feel, everyone says to cut it into a bob- I don't think so!!! I will never cut my hair short, I can't pull it off and I love long hair!! I remember I had almost waist length hair and I went to a hairdresser for a trim and she cut it off to shoulder length! I felt like crying!!!

Babyfine
December 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I love this thread:crush:
I have been seriously thinking about chopping especially this morning as my hair looked so flat and icky
Everyones hair is so beautiful. And not so thin looking at all.

Annalouise
December 5th, 2010, 11:21 AM
....So those of us with thin hemlines need to push through the APL to Hip area, and I think we will end up happier with what we have when we reach those lengths.
Getting there is difficult, we may be tempted to believe that our hair will look thicker at shoulder length and let someone talk us into a cut! :mad:

I couldn't agree more. I feel like if I can get my hair past my waist then I will be happy.:)

Angeletti your hair looks great.

BellCat
December 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Dont chop your hair!! I get those days too! when i feel like that I just tie my hair up and try and forget about it :)

vampodrama
December 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
BellCat, I think your hair is really pretty. And to everyone else in this thread - as we all probably know already, we tend to look at our own hair much more critically than we look at other's hair. I generally think that I have the thinnest hair in the world. I *KNOW* that it's not true, I just have to remind this to myself every single day.

But you know, reading from random web forums (which tend to be about as brainless as the people who write there, it seems) that "straight hair should never be long, it looks disgusting", it really gets to me sometimes. I know it shouldn't but I can't always help it.

Thankfully I can always come back to LHC and see that everyone's hair really IS beautiful.

Angeletti
December 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I agree vampodrama, it's hard when hearing others constantly talk negative things and it gets to me all the time as well, I'm always paranoid because certain family members and others I know tell me to cut my hair due to it's thin ends. That's why I love LHC so much, so many people on here find beauty in all types of hair : )

girlcat36
December 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Some of you may have seen this thread already, so if you haven't--it was a shout out to all the i/ii's here at LHC.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57954

I think an important thing for us to do is to find a 'go-to' updo that is flattering and easy for the days that we feel the need to 'hide' our hair.
It will take some experimenting and creativity, but when you hit on an updo look that makes you feel pretty it will be worth it.
If we have to spend 30.00 to get a great hair toy to get get a great updo look, then it's money well spent, since you will be saving on a haircut!

Velvettt
December 6th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yes, BellCat, I think fish oil capsules do make a difference. A few hours after I've taken them, I can feel the difference in my skin, so I'm pretty sure it affects my hair as well.

Someone commented that no one in this thread looks like she has thin hair. That's true, for the most part. The reason? We don't post the bad pictures. You know the ones I'm talking about.

The pic where your scalp shows through in places because your hair isn't hanging evenly; the pic where your hair looks like lace because your shirt colour shows through so strongly; the pics where your hair is clinging to your scalp so you look bald if your hair is light coloured?

I've taken plenty of those pics. I don't post them. :D

BellCat
December 6th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Yes, BellCat, I think fish oil capsules do make a difference. A few hours after I've taken them, I can feel the difference in my skin, so I'm pretty sure it affects my hair as well.

Someone commented that no one in this thread looks like she has thin hair. That's true, for the most part. The reason? We don't post the bad pictures. You know the ones I'm talking about.

The pic where your scalp shows through in places because your hair isn't hanging evenly; the pic where your hair looks like lace because your shirt colour shows through so strongly; the pics where your hair is clinging to your scalp so you look bald if your hair is light coloured?

haha I definately know what your talking about!! What fish oil are you taking? Is Cod liver oil any good I think I have some already

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks luxepiggy. Your hair is so shiny and pretty that I didn't notice the thinness from the profile shot. I have a couple questions for you - 1. do you trim? (do you think cones gives you split ends?) 2. do you do deep moisture treatments? and 3. do you use a leave in? Oh and one more question, 4. do you oil your hair? And sorry, one more, do you use a comb or brush?

I've never tried Pantene. I don't know why? Some people swear by it. I've been tempted to try the 'beautiful lengths' conditioner. Also, I think you are the only person I've met here who uses cones and doesn't use shampoo to clarify. That is interesting. I agree with you about not clarifying though. Last time I did that I ended up with dried out desert hair.:( I've been doing SMT's with a deep conditioner to get the moisture back into my hair.

Your hair is very inspiring.:) I've heard of others who always do a cold rinse at the end. I've never tried it myself. I'd like to get more shine in my hair so maybe I'll try the products you mentioned and see if it makes a difference. I think shiny hair is the best. Also, if the hair is shiny, then it distracts one's attention from the thinness. I think shine is REALLY important.:)

1. do you trim? (do you think cones gives you split ends?)
No, I don't trim, nor do I S&D. I definitely don't think cones give me split ends, as I very, very rarely get them. I think in my entire life I've found maybe 20 split ends.

2. do you do deep moisture treatments?
Pre-LHC, I didn't (the second photo I posted and the one in my signature are both pre-LHC). Now I SMT once a month, and I've noticed my hair is softer than it used to be.

I've also just purchased a box of Pantene's new deep treatment ampoules on the recommendation of another LHC member, so I'm planning to use one of those in lieu of SMT, so I can compare which gives me better results.

3. do you use a leave in?
Nope - I find that almost any kind of product causes my individual strands of hair to clump together, which makes it look thinner and kind of stringy (>(oo)<)`

4. do you oil your hair?
Pre-LHC, no. Since joining LHC, I've been trying out different oiling regimes. Recently, I've been applying a 3 drops of Kiehl's Superbly Restorative Argan Dry Oil to the ends before I blow dry.

I literally *just* tried oiling with coconut oil before a CO wash for the first time, so I can't say if that's going to become a permanent part of my routine yet (^(oo)^)v

do you use a comb or brush?
Neither, actually. I fingercomb only, which I feel cuts down a lot on breakage (^(oo)^)

Oops, I think I should have been more clear about my wash routine. While I never use clarifying shampoos, I do CWC once in a while if my hair seems to be acting up for some reason.

I'm saddened to report that Pantene has recently changed their entire product lineup, and most of the new products don't work nearly as well for me as the Ice Shine collection, which was discontinued. If you want to try Pantene, I recommend the Color Preserve Shine (http://www.pantene.com/en-US/hair-care-products/product/color-conditioner.aspx) conditioner. Out of the new lineup, that's the only one that works well for my hair and makes it super shiny!

I totally agree about the importance of shine - that's actually how I found LHC! After my Pantene Ice Shine got discontinued, I tried a bunch of other products, and my hair became super dull and lost all its shine! I stumbled upon LHC while searching online for help (^(oo)^)

My ends looked like that when I was younger - just needs some time for the stragglers to catch up, and it should fill in nicely (^(oo)~) Once it does, then it's smooth sailing, and you'll start to get annoyed by how fast your hair seems to grow!

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Ah, yes. Those pictures . . . I think I must discard at least 5 pictures for every one I actually post . . . it's like the facebook profile picture discount (^(oo)^)

girlcat36
December 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Ok maybe I need glasses, but I don't see any thin hair here???

Velvett is right. We don't post the Gawd-awful pictures! I always try to take progress pictures while wearing a black shirt. It makes a HUGE difference:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010817-1.jpg http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/febsiggy.jpg

These pictures were taken on the same day; I only changed the shirt. The difference is stunning.
My pet peeve is that I look better in pale colors--aqua, lavender, baby blue--so I don't usually wear dark colors!:mad:

jojo
December 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC&#37;20pictures/012-2.jpg
I really love your hair Girlcat and after knowing you a while now, I can honestly say your hair justs gets lovelier the longer it gets, its beautiful.

girlcat36
December 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I really love your hair Girlcat and after knowing you a while now, I can honestly say your hair justs gets lovelier the longer it gets, its beautiful.

Thank you so much, jojo! :blossom:

Quahatundightu
December 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
There we go, I just put up new photos of my hair :) I definitely count as both thin and fine, my hair is around hip length dry & curly. These two photos are from only minutes apart, one more curly, the other with my curls combed out.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2713&pictureid=89891 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2713&pictureid=89892

I will always have thin hair, but I really hope I can make it to at least TB!

I just cut back all the growth I had last year in an attempt to thicken it up a bit (you can see what my hair looked like before in my siggy) Kind of disappointing, but it's always a trade off between length and thickness! Patience... :meditate:

girlcat36
December 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Quahatundightu--your hair is very pretty and delicate. Beautiful color!

Velvettt
December 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I can't say if cod liver oil is better or worse than what is labelled "fish oil", because I have no difference in results. I've used both. For me, the deciding factor is which one will make me burp fish later. :laugh: Only trial and error will tell you that.

Annalouise
December 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
1. do you trim? (do you think cones gives you split ends?)
No, I don't trim, nor do I S&D. I definitely don't think cones give me split ends, as I very, very rarely get them. I think in my entire life I've found maybe 20 split ends.

2. do you do deep moisture treatments?
Pre-LHC, I didn't (the second photo I posted and the one in my signature are both pre-LHC). Now I SMT once a month, and I've noticed my hair is softer than it used to be.

I've also just purchased a box of Pantene's new deep treatment ampoules on the recommendation of another LHC member, so I'm planning to use one of those in lieu of SMT, so I can compare which gives me better results.

3. do you use a leave in?
Nope - I find that almost any kind of product causes my individual strands of hair to clump together, which makes it look thinner and kind of stringy (>(oo)<)`

4. do you oil your hair?
Pre-LHC, no. Since joining LHC, I've been trying out different oiling regimes. Recently, I've been applying a 3 drops of Kiehl's Superbly Restorative Argan Dry Oil to the ends before I blow dry.

I literally *just* tried oiling with coconut oil before a CO wash for the first time, so I can't say if that's going to become a permanent part of my routine yet (^(oo)^)v

do you use a comb or brush?
Neither, actually. I fingercomb only, which I feel cuts down a lot on breakage (^(oo)^)

Oops, I think I should have been more clear about my wash routine. While I never use clarifying shampoos, I do CWC once in a while if my hair seems to be acting up for some reason.

I'm saddened to report that Pantene has recently changed their entire product lineup, and most of the new products don't work nearly as well for me as the Ice Shine collection, which was discontinued. If you want to try Pantene, I recommend the Color Preserve Shine (http://www.pantene.com/en-US/hair-care-products/product/color-conditioner.aspx) conditioner. Out of the new lineup, that's the only one that works well for my hair and makes it super shiny!

I totally agree about the importance of shine - that's actually how I found LHC! After my Pantene Ice Shine got discontinued, I tried a bunch of other products, and my hair became super dull and lost all its shine! I stumbled upon LHC while searching online for help .....!

Thanks for answering all my questions. :) I found out too that Ice Shine is discontinued. Hopefully the color preserve shine will work just as well. Thanks for telling me that you CWC once a week. That seems to be pretty normal for CO'ers. And probably your lack of split ends has to do with the fact that you don't brush or comb your hair. That is how I get splits is by physically breaking the hairs so I decided to only finger comb my hair when its dry to cut down on damage.

Let us know if the SMT or the Pantene deep conditioners work best. I've had mixed results from SMT's. Because I don't use shampoo at all I find the honey can muck up my hair a bit. Ktani said it is because of the beeswax in honey.

Annalouise
December 7th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Quahatundightu your hair looks great, congratulations on reaching waist. Velvett, I totally agree with you about taking the right pictures and it can make all the difference.:)

Capybara
December 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say that all of you ladies have gorgeous hair. And ... While I won't let thinning shears come near my hair ever again (caused splits :o ) I've always wanted thinner hair.

Surprise? I don't know, it just seems that thinner hair looks longer earlier than thicker hair. The length to width ratio is more dramatic, and I think it makes thin hair really aesthetically pleasing. My own hair, at lengths above my elbows, doesn't look proportional in terms of length:width ratio. Thin hair and thick hair are both beautiful in their own ways. I say, go for waist! It'll be lovely.

Girlcat, I've always admired your hair. So pretty!

erika_d
December 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I think your hair looks great. My hair is on the thin side as well, bu I'm embracing the nature of my hair and healthy hair looks great no matter what texture! keep growing!

vampodrama
December 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I just took a picture of my hair (have not done this a long time) and discovered to my utter shock that my hair is almost waist length! I always thought I was stuck forever in the obscure BSL land!

Unfortunately LHC is not letting me upload it.

Suze334
December 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm about to start maintaining at waist with a straight hem. Hopefully my hair will feel thicker.

Suze334
December 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm about to start maintaining at waist with a straight hem. Hopefully my hair will appear thicker.

Annalouise
December 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Suze, your hair is really pretty. Congratulations on reaching waist.

girlcat36
December 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Girlcat, I've always admired your hair. So pretty!

Thank you!!!!! :)

BeatlesFanGirl
December 8th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I am absolutely baffled that you would think your hair 'thin' if your thickness is ii/iii :hmm:

Maybe you have some lower layers to make you think your hair is 'thin'?

I explain. According to circumference measurement of my ponytail it's between ii and ii/iii. But I always feel that the END of my hair/hemline is thin. It's the litte devil in my ear that say that constantly. :D But everyone says my hair looks great. :D No, I don't have layers now (I had before)

Suze334
December 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Suze, your hair is really pretty. Congratulations on reaching waist.
Thanks so much!

BellCat
December 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
my pony circumference measured at 3inches so I guess i have i/ii hair :S

dropinthebucket
December 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Suze, gorgeous!

Jezerellica
December 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Oh, luxepiggy~THAT was what I was waiting to hear from you. What good news that is! My ends are thin and not what I like to see and if you have gone through this too and come out looking like you do now...well. I just feel a whole lot better! Thank you for sharing. = ) So how many years did it take, if I may ask.

My ends looked like that when I was younger - just needs some time for the stragglers to catch up, and it should fill in nicely (^(oo)~) Once it does, then it's smooth sailing, and you'll start to get annoyed by how fast your hair seems to grow![/quote]

Jezerellica
December 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm about to start maintaining at waist with a straight hem. Hopefully my hair will appear thicker.
I am beginning to think of doing the same thing. I love that it has reached TB, but I believe in quality over quantity. I just don't care for see-through ends. Especially when the top portion is so much thicker. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It is so nice to talk about this with people who understand. :D

excentricat
December 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
BellCat, a 3" circumference puts you exactly in the middle of the ii's. Embrace your normal hair, its thicker than mine.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

pinchbeck
December 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Its hard to keep growing your hair when your family and friends tell you to cut it. Oh well.:) I am in the same position as you with regards to those closest to me telling me to cut my hair. My mother actually gave me a hair salon gift certificate stating I needed to cut my hair to a more 'mature length'. Other people said my hair drags my face down (this is a classic poor exusse), and one friend on Facebook wrote me a message stating I look like an Eskimo and asked if I am in competition with Cher. Wow. So, my hair is at BSL and it pleases everyone except for me. Now I am going to silently grow the inches I cut off. lol

Keep growing your hair!

Suze334
December 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I am beginning to think of doing the same thing. I love that it has reached TB, but I believe in quality over quantity. I just don't care for see-through ends. Especially when the top portion is so much thicker. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It is so nice to talk about this with people who understand. :D
Same here- I was going for longer but I've decided to go for a (hopefully) thicker hem at waist. I also decided that my face seems to be "drawn down" at longer lengths so waist is it for now. I have a big tangle problem so I think this will be more managable.

MsBubbles
December 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I am in the same position as you with regards to those closest to me telling me to cut my hair. My mother actually gave me a hair salon gift certificate stating I needed to cut my hair to a more 'mature length'. Other people said my hair drags my face down (this is a classic poor exusse), and one friend on Facebook wrote me a message stating I look like an Eskimo and asked if I am in competition with Cher. Wow. !

Good grief! I'm afraid I would have to tell each and every one of them to buzz off, in my own way. You must be a very friendly and approachable person (which is a good thing, by the way :)) for them to all think they can just hurl their opinions at you.

trillcat
December 13th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I have thin hair, it is what it is and I like it, after much angst and hair hating. (my profile pics are outdated, it's longer now, and dark blonde, yes yes, I know I need to update)
My former scraggly ends now look, well, right at waist length. Its going all fairy tale and I like it! I like blunt cuts at around BSL, after that, I think the wispy ends look pretty. To my eye it is more pleasing to have the natural taper at the ends. I am sadly alone in my opinion of this among friends who tell me my hair would look SOOOOO much better if I hacked about 4 inches off of it. Not going to happen!

cuppycake
December 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Here you go (^(oo)^)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=87027

A rare side view photo!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/hairside.jpg

Randomly OT: I had no idea my hair used to be classic length. Whoa, said the little piggy ( ' (oo) ' )
so shiny. beautiful hair!

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Oh, luxepiggy~THAT was what I was waiting to hear from you. What good news that is! My ends are thin and not what I like to see and if you have gone through this too and come out looking like you do now...well. I just feel a whole lot better! Thank you for sharing. = ) So how many years did it take, if I may ask.

IIRC, it took about 2 years for my hemline to fill in completely once I reached tailbone with FTE (yes, I too had FTE and "can I call this tailbone" hair before! hehe), which was when I made the switch from pursuing length to maintaining it. When I say "completely," of course, I don't mean there is no taper whatsoever, more that the taper was no longer discernible as long as I had my hair loose:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=84739

For those who are curly, I'm pretty sure it should still work the same way, and that your hemline will eventually fill in as long as you're not at terminal. It will just take you a little longer to get there, but it definitely should happen in time, as long as you are patient and avoid drastic chopping! You can see here that even though I have my hair in sockbun curls, the general hemline shape and appearance are similar:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932

I am beginning to think of doing the same thing. I love that it has reached TB, but I believe in quality over quantity. I just don't care for see-through ends. Especially when the top portion is so much thicker. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It is so nice to talk about this with people who understand.

Actually, I did it the other way 'round: got to goal first, then waited from the shorter hairs to catch up. For me personally it was about the comfort of regular milestones. It's hard to gauge whether your hemline is filling in from month to month, but very easy to see gains in length.

Getting to goal first and then maintaining was really encouraging, because I only ever trimmed hairs that had exceeded my tailbone goal. So instead of growth & trims being this traumatic process of two steps forward-one step back, trimming was a nice reminder that I'd already reached goal and that I was in maintenance mode, which felt really good (^(oo)^)

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks for answering all my questions. :) I found out too that Ice Shine is discontinued. Hopefully the color preserve shine will work just as well. Thanks for telling me that you CWC once a week. That seems to be pretty normal for CO'ers. And probably your lack of split ends has to do with the fact that you don't brush or comb your hair. That is how I get splits is by physically breaking the hairs so I decided to only finger comb my hair when its dry to cut down on damage.

Let us know if the SMT or the Pantene deep conditioners work best. I've had mixed results from SMT's. Because I don't use shampoo at all I find the honey can muck up my hair a bit. Ktani said it is because of the beeswax in honey.

Shu Uemura Art of Hair

You'll be wanting to get some of their haircare products. I just CO washed with Full Shimmer Illuminating Conditioner and my hair is like shine central right now! \(^(oo)^)/

girlcat36
December 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I have thin hair, it is what it is and I like it, after much angst and hair hating. (my profile pics are outdated, it's longer now, and dark blonde, yes yes, I know I need to update)
My former scraggly ends now look, well, right at waist length. Its going all fairy tale and I like it! I like blunt cuts at around BSL, after that, I think the wispy ends look pretty. To my eye it is more pleasing to have the natural taper at the ends. I am sadly alone in my opinion of this among friends who tell me my hair would look SOOOOO much better if I hacked about 4 inches off of it. Not going to happen!

I'm with you. I love blunt cut ends until BSL, but after that I prefer fairytale. While I am in awe of blunt cut knee length hair, I find that I gravitate more towrds LHC pics of U shaped or fairy tale ends at the longer lengths.

It was really hard having fairy tale ends at shoulder length: :rolleyes:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010016.jpg

But I pushed through it. With my thin hair, I realized it doesn't matter what length it is----it will always be thin and fairytale on the ends!

The above picture was from three years ago, and this one is fairly recent:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/031.jpg

As you can see 'chopping' to acheive a thicker hemline does not work for me. I trim a little bit when my ends become insanely thin, and they look a little better for a short while, and then it's back to fairytale!

I guess the point here is that when people tell you that you need to 'clean up your hair' because it's scraggly and thin, they don't always know what's best for you!

Alun
December 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM
my hair isn't at my waist just yet i want it kind of inbetween waist and hip i guess :S It looks so thin and scraggly when im out and about unless i brush it! i was suprised when i took my signature pic how much thicker my hair looks but its not really that thick at all :(

ETA: how do i measure the the thickness? i always just assumed it's i

Trust me, that is your waist. Your hair looks better than mine, anyway.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Trust me, that is your waist. Your hair looks better than mine, anyway.
I suppose it is when i wrap something around my waist i can really notice it! Thanks :)

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
my pony circumference measured at 3inches so I guess i have i/ii hair :S
Nope, you have ii hair. Thicker than mine, too. Grrr....:D

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Nope, you have ii hair. Thicker than mine, too. Grrr....:D
haha really it doesnt look thicker than yours! I wish my hair looked as thick as yours!!!! :S so confusing :P

Annalouise
December 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
My hair is 2.5 in circumference. So its on the border between i and ii. I washed my hair with rhassoul clay once and OH MY, that really makes your hair feel 5x thicker. However, rhassoul clay is not for everyone and I gave it up after one use.

Pinchbeck- Thats what stylists tell me, long hair pulls my face down. My husband says long hair ages me. I think if you look like an Eskimo that is cool, and Cher has awesome hair. So two compliments for you right! (I'm Canadian too:)). You keep growing your hair too! I want to see a picture of it when you reach waist.

Luxepiggy - Thanks for the suggestion. I so want shiny hair. I'm glad you found a replacement for ice shine. :)

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
haha really it doesnt look thicker than yours! I wish my hair looked as thick as yours!!!! :S so confusing :P
Notice the black shirt in the picture. Dark clothes make a huge difference in photographing thinner hair. Mine's about 2.5 inches in circumference.

Also, notice the ends over the pants.... Instantly thinner with a different color.

Karala
December 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
My hair is 2.5 in circumference. So its on the border between i and ii. I washed my hair with rhassoul clay once and OH MY, that really makes your hair feel 5x thicker. However, rhassoul clay is not for everyone and I gave it up after one use.

Just a thought : for me, the trick to not getting weird hair (like, matted and tangly) when I wash it with rhassoul clay, is to make the rhassoul clay mix really runny ! (yoghurt consistency at least, maybe even almost watery) It does make a lot of difference for me so I thought I'd share...

Annalouise
December 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
:)Thanks karala for the tip!

Anshul585
January 4th, 2017, 04:36 AM

I'm in love with your hair. They're not at all thin. They are gorgeous as well as you.

Pumpkin3826
January 10th, 2017, 03:10 PM

WOW! I would do anything to have your curls, you have gorgeous hair! I do not think it is to thin to have long, I love the look of the individual ringlets!

Firsttimelength
January 10th, 2017, 09:36 PM
I'm encouraged and really appreciate the post. I too have thin fine hair but it's a bit wavy looks like that helps some. But the pic from Luxepiggy is awesome you all have such beautiful hair it's beautiful and exciting to see it. Keeps me on my long journey looking forward hoping to enjoy each stage in the in between.

hanne jensen
January 11th, 2017, 01:57 AM
I'm with you. I love blunt cut ends until BSL, but after that I prefer fairytale. While I am in awe of blunt cut knee length hair, I find that I gravitate more towrds LHC pics of U shaped or fairy tale ends at the longer lengths.

It was really hard having fairy tale ends at shoulder length: :rolleyes:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010016.jpg

But I pushed through it. With my thin hair, I realized it doesn't matter what length it is----it will always be thin and fairytale on the ends!

The above picture was from three years ago, and this one is fairly recent:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/031.jpg

As you can see 'chopping' to acheive a thicker hemline does not work for me. I trim a little bit when my ends become insanely thin, and they look a little better for a short while, and then it's back to fairytale!

I guess the point here is that when people tell you that you need to 'clean up your hair' because it's scraggly and thin, they don't always know what's best for you!

Your hemline does not look thin or messy. Your beautiful curls are defined at your hemline and it looks gorgeous.

Of the Fae
January 11th, 2017, 03:43 AM
Girlcat36, that second picture had the most amazingly beautiful curls!! So shiny and indeed well defined.. :O

Alun
January 12th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I have fine thin hair at around waist length. The bad news is that I haven't cut it for years and it never gets any longer than this. OTOH, I nearly always wear it loose, and that is not reckonned to be the best way to to protect it from ... erosion.

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2017, 04:01 AM
I have fine thin hair at around waist length. The bad news is that I haven't cut it for years and it never gets any longer than this. OTOH, I nearly always wear it loose, and that is not reckonned to be the best way to to protect it from ... erosion.

Are you a tall gentleman, Alun?

mousehouse
April 18th, 2017, 07:47 PM
This thread needs more love! I'm always trying to google waist length thin hair.. and all I get is pictures of long fine hair that's thick!

Minahs
June 6th, 2017, 09:51 AM
This thread needs more love! I'm always trying to google waist length thin hair.. and all I get is pictures of long fine hair that's thick!

I agree! I'm a new LHC member and I am craving for inspirational pictures too!

DarkChocolate
June 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Hip length thin hair. Pony circumference is 2.25.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27567&d=1496686769

wispe
June 6th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I post pictures of my hair bunned or braided in other threads regularly, but here's some pics from April and March (on days when it was being more or less behaved). My hair is on the thinner end of average, but where I've bleached it's even thinner. It's also fine and can compact down a lot. If I wear it down it's prone to being flyaway, or the ends flip out unflatteringly.

https://i.imgur.com/lCPMU3L.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/HjdQIuL.jpg?1

Cherriezzzzz
June 6th, 2017, 07:22 PM

Are you mistaking thinness for lack of volume? Maybe some volumizing line (Matrix made my hair unbelievably huge, shampoo and conditioner I borrowed from a friend cause I had none and stayed at her house.)

Cause girlcat36 does have thin hair, but very voluminous! (Shout out to girlcat36 you have some of my fav hair on LHC!)

I think voluminous, full looking hair is easy to achieve on long thin hair! Grow grow grow :)

lucid
June 6th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I think voluminous, full looking hair is easy to achieve on long thin hair! Grow grow grow :)

That depends on hair type. :p My 1a hair laughs at volume shampoos and other volume products.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/913/758/a12.jpg

But all jokes aside, braid waves do stay better in my hair now that it's longer and I can actually curl my ends, which wasn't possible when it was shorter :)

Minahs
June 7th, 2017, 05:36 AM
That depends on hair type. :p My 1a hair laughs at volume shampoos and other volume products.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/913/758/a12.jpg

But all jokes aside, braid waves do stay better in my hair now that it's longer and I can actually curl my ends, which wasn't possible when it was shorter :)

I know that feel lucid... I think maybe my hair is not that extremely straight (1b I guess), but it is hard to volumize too... trying to rock those braid waves now!

Thank you for the lenght pics girls! I'm so happy to see that thin long hair can look gorgeous too! You are my inspiration :rockerdud

lizardspots
June 7th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I have a length pic from a month ago in my signature *points down* I am getting more confident with wearing my hair down, though it can be easy to feel discouraged when I see someone with thick tresses.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 7th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I have a length pic from a month ago in my signature *points down* I am getting more confident with wearing my hair down, though it can be easy to feel discouraged when I see someone with thick tresses.

Your hair doesn't look thin to me at all, I'm sure you could happily wear it down. And even if it was thin, wear it proudly, it's your hair!

lizardspots
June 7th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me at all, I'm sure you could happily wear it down. And even if it was thin, wear it proudly, it's your hair!

Thanks Sarahlabyrinth :) I am feeling more confident to wear it down these days, now that I'm gaining length and it's healthier.

rachdun
June 8th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Your hair looks lovely lizardspots - looks really healthy too:)

Minahs
June 8th, 2017, 02:21 AM

It looks beautiful lizardspots!

Dendra
June 8th, 2017, 04:09 AM
I agree lizardspots, it is total fine hair goals! When I first signed up I saw your siggy pic and recognised that we have similar hair practises and felt hopeful that mine could one day look the same!

lizardspots
June 8th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Your hair looks lovely lizardspots - looks really healthy too:)

It looks beautiful lizardspots!

I agree lizardspots, it is total fine hair goals! When I first signed up I saw your siggy pic and recognised that we have similar hair practises and felt hopeful that mine could one day look the same!

Everyone is so kind, thank you all! :flower: And Dendra I am beyond chuffed that I am someone's hair goal?? Unbelievable! Thank you :crush: I am certain you can achieve your hair goals too. I have learned so much since joining LHC in January, it's really made a difference to the health of my hair. The main thing that has made the biggest impact is just treating it gently, because my strands are fine and delicate.

Aredhel
June 8th, 2017, 08:07 AM

Your hair looks lovely down and I agree that it doesn't look thin at all. My hair looked almost identical to yours when I cut it to that length a couple years ago, minus the 1b waves. :)

MrsDay
June 8th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I'm glad this thread got resurrected! In my intro I mentioned that I have fine and thin hair and have always been discouraged from growing it. Seeing these photos of others with hair like mine though is very motivating!

Dendra
June 12th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Everyone is so kind, thank you all! :flower: And Dendra I am beyond chuffed that I am someone's hair goal?? Unbelievable! Thank you :crush: I am certain you can achieve your hair goals too. I have learned so much since joining LHC in January, it's really made a difference to the health of my hair. The main thing that has made the biggest impact is just treating it gently, because my strands are fine and delicate.

Ahhh, good :o I'm glad.

Treating the strands gently makes such a big difference doesn't it, I can't believe how rough I was with my hair before!

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Your pictures are all very inspirational!

MrsDay
June 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM
Can I post a link to a youtube video here, or is that against any rules?
I stumbled upon a video of how to trim your own ends, and the woman in the video has knee length thin hair that is such hair-inspiration!! You ladies need to see it!

https://youtu.be/hWRJ57j1AyI

Zebra Fish
June 27th, 2017, 01:27 PM
That's Emichee :D She used to be on the forum. She always reminds me of an elf :o

lucid
June 27th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Her hair isn't thin though, it's a bit above average. But beautiful hair :)

MrsDay
June 29th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Her hair isn't thin though, it's a bit above average. But beautiful hair :)

Her hair is above average?? Wow! That gives me hope that my hair is considered "above average." :joy:

lucid
June 29th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Her hair is above average?? Wow! That gives me hope that my hair is considered "above average." :joy:

It sais in the video what her thickness is, 3.2" :) Average is about 3.

MrsDay
June 29th, 2017, 01:31 PM
It sais in the video what her thickness is, 3.2" :) Average is about 3.

Aww fooey, I'm still below average then. Haha her hair is gorgeous regardless.

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Yeah I think her hair appeared thin just because her ends were; she went through a lot of ups and downs with excessive shedding and thinning, so the bottom half of her hair was significantly thinner than her true thickness.:)

Alissalocks
July 1st, 2017, 03:46 PM
Mine is 2.25" circumference, thin indeed, but is waist length as of this summer (pic in signature).

It takes me so many tries to get my hair to stay together for a length pic, you have no idea. My ear is always sticking out, or pieces separate when I turn around, or some other thin hair issue lol :laugh: You can also see by the black straps in my top how see through it is, but it's there! And growing! So I'm very happy! :thumbsup:

terebinth
July 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM
Everything in this thread makes me feel so much better about my thin hair being able to grow nice and long! :cheer:

MoonRabbit
July 2nd, 2017, 07:48 AM
Cross posting this photo from another thread.

https://s25.postimg.org/uq57n8vfz/20170624_164232.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5wvnmlcff/)

My thickness is a bit under 2.5". My hair can appear thicker due to my wave pattern and all the volume I have, but I am under the average thickness. Waist+ almost Hip.

ShilvaA
July 2nd, 2017, 08:35 AM

https://s25.postimg.org/uq57n8vfz/20170624_164232.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5wvnmlcff/)

My thickness is a bit under 2.5". My hair can appear thicker due to my wave pattern and all the volume I have, but I am under the average thickness. Waist+ almost Hip.

I think we have very similar hair!

I will be dead chuffed if my hair looks as lovely as yours does when I get to the same length as you!

CindyOfTheOaks
July 2nd, 2017, 10:37 AM

Very pretty !

Aredhel
July 2nd, 2017, 11:42 AM

Beautiful!! You have my dream hair type basically.:crush:

queenbee1
July 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM

Gorgeous! I think we might be hair twins. I'm so excited to be as the same length as you and if my hair looks anywhere as beautiful as yours I will be SO glad :D

MoonRabbit
July 2nd, 2017, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone :flower:

That was a lucky tamed hair day. It rarely behaves well, usually I have a tangled mess to deal with lol.

Siveda
July 2nd, 2017, 02:14 PM
I agree with the rest! Very beautiful!

terebinth
July 2nd, 2017, 03:11 PM

Oh my gosh! Your hair is so, so beautiful! And I have almost the same hair type. It's gorgeous! I really love it. I hope my hair looks this healthy one day!

nikki_s
July 2nd, 2017, 11:31 PM

Beautiful!!!:heartbeat:
I am also quite envious, have always wanted that natural waviness. And it looks thick! Ponytails (and other updos) must look incredible too :D
Heather :D

Zebra Fish
July 3rd, 2017, 12:45 AM
Really nice hair MoonRabbit! I find it hard to believe it is only 2,5". My hair wabts to be like your hair when (if) it grows up :o

rachdun
July 4th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, MoonRabbit

Dendra
July 4th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, MoonRabbit

Agreed! Stunning. I already saw it in the other thread and thought the same!

And it does look deceptively thick, as wavy and curly hair seems to be able to.