PDA

View Full Version : Any correlation between growth spurts and shedding?

jenjen10
December 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think I have seen this addressed (I apologize if it has been) but I was wondering if anyone has noticed if major shedding seems to accompany a growth spurt or perhaps the opposite?

It would seem that if you hit a growth spurt, more hairs would be reaching their terminal length at the same time which could explain a "shed" :confused: Or does shedding just depend on a certain amount of "time"? Has this been discussed before? Any insights?

I seem to be having a huge shed and am hoping there is an upside I guess!

Fairlight63
December 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
That is what I think happened to me this yr.
From about Jan. to June I didn't hardly shed any. Then about June I started to shed a lot. Everytime that I touched my hair strands would fall out.
I keep track of my hair growth every month. From Jan. to June seemed like my growth had stalled or not very much anyway.
Then from June to now (I still seem to be shedding some, but not as bad) my hair started to grow about 1/2" a mon.

So, yes I think that for me the shedding meant that my hair was growing faster (want to believe that anyway, :D)

Sunny_side_up
December 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
My hair was heavily layered start of 2010, so i didn't really notice too much hair shed at first because of the mostly shorter lengths. So what collects in the plug hole is not lots of bunched up longer hairs like what i notice now.

Spring sees a growth increase for me, lots of small halo hairs appearing, then i started regularly trimming from summer. Had a good growth spurt from May onward. But then i think better weather/warm climate always brings out great growing for me :D

Serious shedding in the beginning of autumn :eek: Which has sort of lessened now phew! These winter months see me trying to get a balance of not over weighting my hairs with oils and avoiding dull dry ends from hot to cold atmospheres. Roll on spring:)

jojo
December 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I seriously hardly shed until it gets to September and then I still only shed 20 hairs if that but about 10 otherwise, my hair spurt is always from November to February so maybe there is some correlation. I remember ages ago posting if there was any correlation between shed and fast growing and I think there was a connection, cant remember for sure as it was yonks ago!

christine1989
December 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
That sounds like a logical theory and has definatly been the case for many of my friends. They complain about increased shedding for a while then complain about new hair growth sticking up. Personally I usually shed and grow at a consistant rate but my mom is one of those people who sheds loads then gets a ton of new growth right after.

Shell
December 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have noticed that after I shed a bunch, that I get length faster than usual. Then I start noticing lots of new hairs, and my length acquisition goes back to normal. I usually shed in the fall, then start growing through the late fall and early winter, then in late winter or early spring--new little hairs. I grow steadily over the late spring and summer, but nothing spectacular. Since I've been shedding a bunch, I'm hoping for a growth spurt :pray:.

kristymarie87
December 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I grow at a normal rate but recently (in september) i noticed i seemed to have stopped growing. In october i started shredding like mad (i still am) and in november i noticed id grown almost an inch without realising! Im still shredding loads now...i think autumn/winter maybe good growth time for me! Or at least im hoping!!

joiekimochi
December 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I notice that I grow my hair really fast from May to October, then I shed a bunch (this year is particularly bad since it's also my 5-year shed), then I notice a lot of new hairs sticking up around December, and from December to April, length grows gradually.

I live in an equatorial tropical island, and our four seasons are: hot and dry, hot and wet, cold and wet, and the shopping season.