PDA

View Full Version : Which way do you "twist" for updos?

Saranne772
June 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
The backwards thread on the Mane forum inspired me to make this poll.

Which way do you twist when making updos (twists mostly?)

Personlly I always twist counter clockwise

Isilya
June 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I twist counterclockwise too. I've tried to twist the other way, but it turns out loose and sloppy.

DotDotDot
June 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I twist clockwise. Being right-handed, that's what's easiest for me.

Isilya
June 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
I twist clockwise. Being right-handed, that's what's easiest for me.

I'm right-handed too :confused:

Alva
June 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Counter clockwise

pinkprincess
June 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm right handed and i twist anti-clockwise too

AJoifulNoise
June 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I can most comfortably twist clockwise. However, I can twist the other way. And, to do some styles I have to twist the other way.

Sherri
June 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I twist clockwise and I am righthanded. I can't seem to twist other direction. It is to awkward for me.

Guenever
June 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm right handed - and always clockwise..
I've tried to mix it a little, but counter clockwise is just so awkward for me.. I haven't got the same control..

Saranne772
June 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Im right handed and counter clockwise. This is unusual!

lirael
June 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I usually twist clockwise but I can go the other way too. I just have to concentrate a little more.

Lillian
June 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm a right-handed clockwiser :D

Snack
June 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'm right handed and I always twist my hair counter-clockwise. Clockwise is uncomfortable and awkward for me, for some reason.

BlueMeezer
June 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting. I'm right-handed and twist clockwise.

yogachic
June 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Right handed, I twist counter-clockwise.

Finoriel
June 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
For me there are different reasons for twisting clockwise. Most istructions twist clockwise, if I do it the same way there´s no need to mirror the movements when learning a new one. But I wrap log-roll and inside out bun counter clockwise :wink: just because of a bit more variation.
Another reason for me to twist clockwise most times is my deep side parting on the left. Twisting counter clockwise for twisted (not wrapped) updos makes my hair lie somehow funny and tends to end up not as comfortable as clockwise twisting does.
Oh, I´m bi-manual so for my hands it does not matter in which direction I twist.

jesamyn
June 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I have to vote since I started this, more or less! :D I twist clockwise. What's really odd is that I gather my hair with my right hand, then switch to my left for twisting. Then I switch again!

Kiraela
June 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm a lefty, and I twist clockwise. This is odd, indeed.

awesometruffle
June 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Right handed and clockwise here. But I just tried doing a counter clockwise twist, and to my amazement, it wasn't a complete failure--but it seemed extremely odd.

ETA: Also, I can't pick options correctly apparently--I voted for the wrong thing and I can't find a way to change it.

Lixie
June 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I'm right handed and twist counter clockwise.

Islandgrrl
June 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I can twist either direction. I'm left handed. I'm sure, with practice, I could twist cheese.

manyhorsesmane
June 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
ambidextrous and confused...:confused:, but seriousy....

Right-handed, clock-wise, but can do either, depending on the mood I'm in.... :D

....and why did my boss once ask me if I braided my hair too tight???:confused:

I twist Cheeze and bubblegum left-handed....does that help? :cheese:

Haith
June 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm right handed, and I twist clockwise. I had never even thought about it before today, but now I'm going to start twisting counter clockwise as well just to switch it up.

insideitall
June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I twist clockwise and I'm left handed!:cool:

It comes out fine if I try the other way but it feels really weird.

I just thought about it for a minute, and I would think that most lefties would twist clockwise, most righties counterclockwise. If I were to draw a circle with either hand, I would start by moving away from my arm, not towards.. kinda like turning rope for double dutch.

Or it could just be my weirdness showing through.

Cloverleaf
June 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I twist counter-clockwise, and I'm right handed. Clockwise seems awkward for me for some reason.

nomadhome
June 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
counter-- and I am right handed

hurricane_gia
June 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm right-handed too :confused:

Yep. Right handed, and clockwise.

Stagecoach
June 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Another righty here and I twist counter clockwise.

Wind Dragon
June 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Right-handed and clockwise here, though I draw a circle counter-clockwise. I can twist counter-clockwise, but it's kind of like trying to write with my left hand; if I work at it very slowly and patiently, I can turn out something recognizable.

On the few occasions I do use my left hand (like for handling the loop of my log roll while my right hand wraps the rest of the length clockwise around it and then grabs a clip,) it (my left hand) twists counter-clockwise.

Okay, now my brain is cross-eyed. :dizzy:

Sam-I-Am
June 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Right handed, counterclockwise!

Curlsgirl
June 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Right. Counter. But I adore cheese! :cheese:

Mitzy
June 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Clock-wise and Counter-clockwise. I had never even thought of it that way. I voted that I can do either, depending mostly on whether I am wearing a fringe and/or whether I have my hair parted to one side or the other, or straight back or in a middle part. I mostly twist to the right, and I am left handed. My hair is thicker on one side, so if I have it parted to one side or the other, it really makes a difference. I have to work to acheive balance with an updo, but once balance is reached, I can now wear it up all day which is a coup for me!! I used to get terrible headaches from updos, so figuring it all out has been an achievement for me.
So I guess I mostly twist counter-clockwise, is that right? But I voted either, because I can easily do either.

kwaniesiam
June 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Clockwise, I'm a lefty and it just feels like it should go that way :ponder:

AprilElf
June 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I twist clockwise, and I'm right-handed. I don't think I've ever tried twisting counter-clockwise ... :o

Gladtobemom
June 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
For a cinnamon bun, I usually twist clockwise.

For a pleat or a french twist, I usually twisth counter-clockwise. If I twist clockwise, my crown area shows sort of a hole, and I don't like to see that spot of scalp.

I do tend to lean toward the clockwise, but can go the other way if necessary.

jesamyn
June 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Oh dear. I just realized that if I twist on top of my head for my nightly bun, I twist counter...and still use both hands.

1nuitblanche
June 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I twist both ways. (This almost sounds like a dance?) I'm right handed, except for playing hockey, shoveling, toothbrushing (how does that fit in there?) etc.

Koala Kim
June 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
I twist cheese! :cheese:

Another righty. I usually twist counter-clockwise, but will twist clock-wise for a change of pace.

Sakura07
June 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Normally I twist clockwise, it comes most natural. Although when needed I can and do twist counter clockwise.

ZaBasDa
June 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm rather ambidextrous and it seems that both my hands twist in towards each other. So, left tends to twist clockwise and my right tends to twist counter.

Phalaenopsis
June 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I've always twisted clockwise. Don't know why, but it feels good :)

Katja
June 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm right handed, but I twist both ways. If anything, I might lean more towards counter-clockwise.

Exodus
June 4th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have always twisted clockwise. Haven't even thought of twisting the other way. Maybe should try counter clockwise sometime, just because.

cassie_g
June 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Right handed and counter-clockwise.

darl_in1
June 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm right handed and naturally twist anti-clockwise, though I can twist clockwise if necessary.

My theory is that it all depends on how you grab your bunch (so to speak..). Let me clarify that.....

Assuming that you bunch your hair in your non-dominant hand, then it depends on how you take hold of the bunch to twist.
So if you take your dominant hand over the top of the bunch and grab from the other side, then you will most likely start twisting upwards and anti-clockwise.
If you start by turning your dominant hand upside down (sort of) and grabbing the bunch underneath you will most likely twist downwards and clockwise. Does that make sense?

Or is it just me?

Wow....how sad is it that I sat here and developed an entire theory for this? *bangs head on table* Must. Spend. Less. Time. On. LHC.

Gumball
June 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Most of the time I generally twist clockwise. It's just more cooperative with my hands/arms. Sometimes if I'm trying something I may work at twisting counter-clockwise, but it proves to be a little more challenging. My arms go "NO! MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO!!!"

birthmarkie
June 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
<snip>My arms go "NO! MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO!!!"

LOL, Gumball :)

akka naeda
June 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm right handed, generally twist clockwise, but if needed I can twist anticlockwise.

Angellen
June 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I can twist both ways, but I twist primarily counter-clockwise. I think this is partially due to my being left-hand dominant (and it seems that many righties twist clockwise for this same reason). Twisting clockwise is just not as comfortable for me, though I try to mix it up on occasion.

mrs carol
June 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I'm right handed too and I twist counter clock wise, I just can't get a twist to stay up tight when I try to go clock wise.

RavennaNight
June 4th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Clockwise. I never tried the other way. Maybe I should. I never even thought about it before. I'm far from expert at bunning though. I'm usually a braider.

Nevermore
June 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I voted that I can twist both, but mostly I do it clockwise. I'm right handed.

Rae~
June 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Can I ask you to clarify some things, please? I know I'm overthinking this, so they are going to be very silly questions, but I want to see if our understandings of the question are all consistent. Don't worry, I realise this is just being way too picky, and I am prepared for ridicule and laughter. ;)

First question - and I'll use a cinnabun just as an example - but when you say twist, do you mean the (duh) twisting motion of the hair to form the "log" before you wrap it into a cinnabun, or do you mean the actual wrapping of the cinnabun?

Secondly - an even sillier question than the first! :D - re the twisting-to-make-a-log part: are people saying what direction they would be twisting the hair if it was dangling downwards? What I mean is, I twist my hair in a motion that feels clockwise, but that's only because I naturally hold my ponytail above/behind my head while I twist; if I was to let it fall dawn my back/over my shoulder and twist to get the same updo, I guess technically the direction should be called counterclockwise....?

Bring on the pointing and laughing. :D

Isilya
June 5th, 2008, 01:50 AM
That's not silly!

1) I twist the "log" counterclockwise and twist the entire bun the same way.

2) If my tail (this sounds somewhat strange :rolleyes:) is dangling downwards, it's still twisted counterclockwise. I went with the way I make the very first twist.

Did this make any sense?

magda
June 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I can do both, but counterclockwise is more easily.

zelah
June 5th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I twist counter-clockwise, because it feels more natural. I suppose once I managed to twist clockwise, but I wouldn't call myself adept at it. I just did it because twisting the other way made a strange "poof" in the hair at the top of my head.. if you know what I mean.

zelah
June 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Oh I just saw another poster included her handedness. I would like to add that I am right handed, but I twist with my left hand counter-clockwise. I'm sure that has lots to do with it!

zelah
June 5th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'm right handed and naturally twist anti-clockwise, though I can twist clockwise if necessary.

My theory is that it all depends on how you grab your bunch (so to speak..). Let me clarify that.....

Assuming that you bunch your hair in your non-dominant hand, then it depends on how you take hold of the bunch to twist.
So if you take your dominant hand over the top of the bunch and grab from the other side, then you will most likely start twisting upwards and anti-clockwise.
If you start by turning your dominant hand upside down (sort of) and grabbing the bunch underneath you will most likely twist downwards and clockwise. Does that make sense?

Or is it just me?

Wow....how sad is it that I sat here and developed an entire theory for this? *bangs head on table* Must. Spend. Less. Time. On. LHC.

I think that is a great start to a theory, if you twist right-handed! I twist with my left and always start underneath and end up twisting counter-clockwise. I think for the lefties, your theory just needs to be reversed.

Good job! (And thanks for putting that theory out there, as I was sitting here trying to make one of my own lol!)

justinekay
June 5th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm right-handed and twist clockwise. My hair seems to have a natural twist in that direction, my spirals go that way - but then maybe I've trained them by twisting them that way for so long!

morgwn
June 5th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I wind up always twisting the same way even though I'm essentially ambidextrous. Odd, I suppose.

Masara
June 5th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I had to wait to get home to answer this one. (I wasn't going to start waving my handing behind my head turning imaginary buns with other people in the room)

When I do a twist as in peacock twist etc, I twist my hair anti-clockwise. But when i'm doing a cinabun, I twist everything clockwise.

I think there is something in Darl_in1's theory because my hands are positioned differently depending on what I'm going to do.

Oh, I'm right-handed but not strongly lateralised.

Tarí Felagund
June 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I twist in clockwise,too.I am also right-handed and that's the easist way I think

funnybunny668
June 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Counter-clockwise left-handed twister here! LOL :)

Fillette
June 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I am right-handed and I twist clockwise.

Poolsoflaughter
June 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I used to always twist clockwise, but I have found that some styles hold better counter-clockwise. (so I do both);)

daydreamer
June 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I twist counter-clockwise (I think I voted wrong, doh!), can't seem to do it the other way. I'm predominantly right-handed but do have some ambidexterity when it comes to drawing and writing.

LadyMoon11
June 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM
counter-clockwise. I can twist the other way, but it is awkward.

Forever_Sophie
June 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Right handed and clockwise :)

MadHatter
June 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm right-handed, and I twist counter-clockwise.

susiemw
June 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I am right handed and I have always twisted counter clockwise.... until last week when I was following directions for some sort of updo and it really didn't look good....
when I looked at the photo the person had twisted clockwise so I decided to try it.

it felt awkward but it looked so good... much better than the other way so I'm going to be twisting clockwise on occasion from now on.

Susan

AnimaSola3o4
June 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Am I the only one who had a hard time figuring out which way they twist? LOL... I was visualizing it and a clock at the same time. :knuckle:

I twist clockwise, and am right-handed.

eadwine
June 8th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Both. I just tried yesterday. For a cinnamon bun it is clockwise, for my 10sec quick bun counter clockwise.

KaeleyAnne
June 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I almost always twist clockwise, but I can twist counter-clockwise if needed.

Morag
June 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
It depends on which hand I'm using. Left hand, counter-clockwise. Right hand, clockwise. I'm a lefty, so I guess I twist counter-clockwise more often.

Duchess of Erat
June 10th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Counterclockwise with my left hand.

FrannyG
June 10th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I can and do twist both ways. For some updos, I need to twist one way or the other for it to look right. I recently did an infinity bun, which I realized afterward that I had twisted the wrong way for the look that I wanted. It was kind of cute though, so I just left it.

Siava
June 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Counter-clockwise with my right hand. I tried and tried to do it clockwise - I just can't get it right that way.

homeschoolmama
June 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I said clockwise because most of the time that's what I do... but as I thought about it for a moment I realized that when I rope-braid I always twist counterclockwise!

I'm righthanded too, but in all things but penmanship I am "technically" ambidextrous.
love,
mom

birthmarkie
June 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
It turns out that I go counterclockwise.

sexyjacksparrow
June 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Counter-clockwise. I sometimes try the other way, but it's doesn't work.

Magrat
June 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I twist clockwise, am right-handed (mostly).
I can do a counter clockwise twist if I have to, but it takes a bit more care.

Lem
July 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I twist clockwise, am right-handed (mostly).
I can do a counter clockwise twist if I have to, but it takes a bit more care.
ditto! the clockwise is just automatic for me, I have to stay focused to turn in a counter clockwise:)

Belisama
July 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
I twist clockwise. I tried going counter-clockwise, but the bun kept falling out, and my hands didn't know what to do, and it took longer to eventually get a twist than it does to do a style and slip in the hair toy going clockwise. So I stick with what works. :)

janaana
July 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I twist my hair clockwise and although I am right handed I'd always use my left hand for this. My right hand isn't very hair proficient; it just holds the spare pins, brushes and extra bits of hair while the left hand does the technical bit.

Loreyanne_H
July 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I'm right-handed, but I twist mostly with the other hand. iAnyways, I use to twist clockwise for connabun and bee butt's.

StephanieB
July 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I'm overall right-handed primarily, but ambidextrous for some things.

I can do a French twist fairly easily either way, but it is easier to twist clockwise, and it comes out slightly more smoothly, with less fuss work.

My hairdresser, however, claims that my hair prefers to go into a counter-clockwise twist (the way it grows, sez she).

I never noticed which way my hair grows. How does one check this???

I know that I have either NO natural part OR several possible random natural parts (whichever way you wanna look at it). lol

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I twist both, but my favorite is clockwise....

julya
July 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I never noticed which way my hair grows. How does one check this???

I know that I have either NO natural part OR several possible random natural parts (whichever way you wanna look at it). lol

When I had a short pixie cut, it was easy to see the way my hair grows. I'm not sure how one could figure it out with long hair already. Maybe if you have photos of your hair from when it was shorter.

Elanor
July 15th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I usually twist clockwise and I'm right-handed.

Faepirate
July 15th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Counterclockwise is easier for me (and I prefer twisting this way), but I do twist both ways. I alternate the direction everyfew days - I'm trying to teach myself to twist both ways equally as well!

Country Cowcurl
July 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM
interesting question!! i've never really thought about it before.....i suppose i go counter-clockwise and twist it to the left

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Clockwise. When I twist strands for any purpose and for buns. Rope braids I can do in both directions.

KittyBird
September 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm right handed and I twist both ways. My clockwise buns are just as secure as the anti-clockwise buns ;)

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I can't get my head around doing the same thing in the same way every time. Variety is the spice!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
For twists I twist clockwise, for buns I twist anti-clockwise. I have no idea why...

terylenerose
September 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
I twist counterclockwise. I'm also right-handed, which doesn't explain anything much except that my right hand is also my twisting hand. Who knows. I should really practice twisting clockwise with my left hand more, though -- increases your coordination and all that to exercise both sides of your body. :)

Ebrox
September 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I twist counterclockwise and I'm right handed.

Kelikea
September 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
I twist the hair to the right, which I think is counter -clockwise, then wrap it clockwise (to the left). The exception to this would be if I do a rope braid twisting ccw (which to me feels like twisting right) because it needs to wrap ccw (also right) to stay twisted.

As if that made any sense...

Dovetail
September 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Huh. I'm right handed, and ususally twist counter-clock wise. I can do it the other way too, but I naturally do it CCW~

melusine963
September 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I generally twist clockwise, but occasionally I'll do it the other way to avoid getting permanent 'bun' waves.

Loveisaverb
September 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Haha, I had to do a demonstration with my hand to see which one I do.
Since I'm a righty, clockwise it is.
I'm not so good with counter-clockwise

zombi
September 30th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Both. I'm right-handed for writing, but I apparently do many things left-handed. I tend to rotate the way I twist for updos because I somehow think it might be less damaging?

Natalia
September 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I wonder if it makes a differance what hand you use like do more righty's twist counter clockwise or vise versa

piffyanne
September 30th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I usually twist counter-clockwise (in the start of rope-braids, and when wrapping buns!), but I HAVE been known to twist clockwise.

I'm right-handed, and my hairsticks usually are inserted from top right to bottom left diagonally.

Is it based on dominant hand?

sunshine-locks
October 2nd, 2012, 03:15 AM
I twist counter-clockwise and I'm right handed. Weird?

joflakes
October 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Clockwise here! I can't imagine doing it the other way. I'm right handed. :)

rock007junkie
October 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Usually clockwise

Bedhead
October 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Is this what people mean by 'left-handed bun' and 'right-handed bun', in that they twist in a certain direction?

Windflower
October 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Interesting. I twist counter clockwise with my left hand. I never even thought about how much I use my left hand for styling my hair even though my right hand is the dominant one.

Savvyhorsez
November 20th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I'm right handed and I twist counter-clockwise.

clairenewcastle
November 20th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I never considered this before but I always twist clockwise.

Fethenwen
November 20th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Clockwise, but I try to twist the other way sometimes in order to get a little variation. It is harder to twist counterclockwise.

rach
November 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
clockwise but do do it occasionally accidentally go anti clockwise then i get all confused and in a mess than have to redo it again.

JamieLeigh
November 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I seem to twist clockwise, unless there is a call to twist the other way for some reason.

Libbylou
November 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Clockwise, and I have the dent to prove it!

mararie
May 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Clockwise and right handed!

mary*rose
May 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I wonder if it makes a differance what hand you use like do more righty's twist counter clockwise or vise versa

Well, this seems like the perfect place to find that out! I haven't done an official count, but even though it seems like the majority of righties twist clockwise, and lefties twist counter clockwise, there's a lot of people who do the opposite, so I don't know if it's statistically significant...

lunasea
May 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Left handed; mostly twist counterclockwise but do certain updos clockwise. Everything depends on how I first learned.

Johannah
May 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Both, to decrease damage.

Fiorentina
June 6th, 2023, 03:56 PM
I twist cheese!!

foreveryours
June 6th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Right-handed counter-clockwise twister here

SandyBottom
August 15th, 2023, 04:55 AM
Twisting (such as for Cinnabuns) clockwise comes more naturally to me, but I do both. Wrapping the length around the base of a bun is usually done counterclockwise unless I make a conscious effort to vary it. My right hand is more dominant but I do certain things with my left. For instance, I write with my right hand and eat with my left. If I do cursive with my left hand it comes out backwards!

floridaorchid
August 17th, 2023, 05:16 PM
I am a counterclockwise twister! Fun question, I had to do an imaginary twist to try and figure it out :cheese:

ETJ CURLS
August 17th, 2023, 07:38 PM
I twist clockwise normally, but every now and then I switch, to help reduce tension and breakage.

bushkin
August 18th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Clockwise around my right pointer finger

Für immer
August 18th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Ambidextrously twist whichever direction feels best at the moment, so I say :cheese:!

lithostoic
August 18th, 2023, 08:28 PM
I generally twist clockwise because that's the direction my waves spiral.

Bat
August 19th, 2023, 10:10 PM
Twist left, I'm a leftie

Bat
August 19th, 2023, 10:11 PM
I am a counterclockwise twister! Fun question, I had to do an imaginary twist to try and figure it out :cheese:
My hairs buzzed I had to do that too lmao

Kelp
August 20th, 2023, 10:21 AM
I have a bias toward twisting to the right, but I make a conscious effort to twist to the left here and there so no spots are being repeatedly tugged on if I make the bun too tight.

TatsuOni
September 18th, 2023, 01:18 AM
Anti lockwise and I'm right handed.

lapis_lazuli
October 25th, 2023, 04:20 PM
I can't actually twist my hair for updos (not coordinated enough I guess), but if I could, I'd twist anti-clockwise. I'm right-handed.

ETJ CURLS
October 27th, 2023, 10:42 AM
I can't actually twist my hair for updos (not coordinated enough I guess), but if I could, I'd twist anti-clockwise. I'm right-handed.

There's definitely a trick to it, because whenever I switch and do it the other way, I always have to take a second to remember how to do the motion in the reverse. But basically I use part of my hand (either my thumb or my index or middle finger) to press against the twist to keep it from unraveling as I twist it. (While firmly gripping the base with my other hand.) You can always try just twisting the length, starting much lower. Torsion will make the twist travel up you hair if you twist enough times, then you can wind it around into a bun.

lapis_lazuli
October 27th, 2023, 12:32 PM
There's definitely a trick to it, because whenever I switch and do it the other way, I always have to take a second to remember how to the motion in the reverse. But basically I use part of my hand (either my thumb or my index or middle finger) to press against the twist to keep it from unraveling as I twist it. (While firmly gripping the base with my other hand.) You can always try just twisting the length, starting much lower. Torsion will make the twist travel up you hair if you twist enough times, then you can wind it around into a bun.

Thanks, those are good tips! It seems like every time I try to twist I end up snapping hairs, so I've just come to avoid it. But I could try to tweak my method and see if it helps.

lapushka
October 27th, 2023, 03:43 PM
I twist my peacock twist against the clock. Right handed (even though I do some stuff with the left hand). Actually I remember picking up pencils with my left when I was wee. My mom always redirected me to the right hand, and it's how I learned to write, right handed. For some things I seem to have more strength in my left hand, which is just odd, cause it's a "lesser" trained hand... :hmm: