PDA

View Full Version : So what do bent ends really mean?

alwayssmiling
December 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'm sat here happily doing my long overdue S&D when I discover I have far more bent ends than usual. I don't mean the bent ends that are completely broken with a white dot. They are just bent between around a cm or 2 from the ends (some much futher up). They do not break when I give them a gentle pull. There are so many of them I'm reluctant to snip them off. Generally speaking my hair is in pretty good condition, but these ends are freaking me out :rolleyes:.

Does anyone else get these and what do you think it means (damage, dryness :confused:) and do you snip them, use a treatment or just ignore them?

TIA

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Could the bends be from a barrette or other hair accessory?

alwayssmiling
December 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Xandergrammy thank you but no, I don't use anything like that. I just tie my hair in side bunches. :confused:

BunnyBee
December 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Could be from sleeping on your hair at night.

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I only get these when I dry my hair loose...if I dry it in a bun with gel, the ends are smoother and don't curl at the tip. I think it's just a side effect of having wavy or curly hair...I don't worry about them since it's not splitting. But I do try to dry my hair in a bun instead of loose because I think I'm less likely to damage my hair when the ends aren't catching on other hairs.

lapushka
December 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I get these too. Don't worry about them, they're fine. It's just a kink, think of it the same way as a wave or a curl pattern! IMO they're harmless. Next time you wash, there will be different ones that bend due to hair styles, sleeping on the hair, what have you...

If it's not got a white dot, if it's not split, don't do anything to it.

Sundial
December 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Mine's exactly the opposite of jaine's :( I get these when I damp bun or if I bun my hair too tightly. I think you need to observe when those bent ends start appearing and avoiding doing whatever caused it.

I didn't realize that damp bunning was causing those in my hair. A lot of people on LHC damp bun without any problems but I started observing lack of bent hairs when I left my hair down and I later came to realize that the bent ends came about from manipulation of damp hair in my case. Everyone's hair reacts differently, so try to note when you get those most often and what you have been doing prior.

PrincessBob
December 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I get them when I comb and a snarl gets caught at the end. It's just a place where extra pressure made a kink. Time heals... kind of.

Sammich
December 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I used to have bent ends all the time when my hair was super dyed (it was long and bleached alot, so it was always very dry hair.) and now I never get those bent ends, I mean it's shorter but I don't think that has any impact on the bent ends, I think it must be something to do with dyed hair... or dry hair? :p

alwayssmiling
December 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
OK. Thank you all. I'm doing a DT right now, coconut oil, shea butter, conditioner and EVO wrapped under the dryer - so I will see when I've washed and dried. It could be not tying it up at night but I've never noticed it so bad before. I don't comb my hair, I have a lovely BBBrush and I'm very very gentle with it. Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

lapushka
December 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I never get those bent ends, I mean it's shorter but I don't think that has any impact on the bent ends, I think it must be something to do with dyed hair... or dry hair? :p

You might be onto something there. I have permed ends (very dry), and I get those bendy bits now too. Before that, I never noticed them.

lajsa
December 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think that if the hair is properly moisturized it'll be a bit more... 'fluid', so it won't hold the bended shape so well? Or something. I get bent ends from time to time but I don't worry about them.