PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair can be obnoxious

allmixedup88
December 4th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I have REALLY REALLY thick/coarse hair. Sadly, I just discovered a few days ago (it only took me 22 years) when I brush my hair normally the middle is always crazy and dry. I tried something new, brushing my hair in 3 different sections, bottom, middle, and top & now it's much better. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also, my hair texture varies. My hair is pretty wavy/crinkled like the french fries, but my front sides are curly (wtf!) why is this?
It's kind of obnoxious, because I can handle crinkles, but the curly is much harder for me to deal with :-( and I just discovered a few weeks ago I have to treat that part differently :-(

lovege
December 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I have that too, in the middle of the back of my head, my hair grows in straight? But I can treat it the same.

I brush my hair in sections too! (A brush can't get all the way down) So I guess it helps oils distibute better.:)

allmixedup88
December 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I have that too, in the middle of the back of my head, my hair grows in straight? But I can treat it the same.

I brush my hair in sections too! (A brush can't get all the way down) So I guess it helps oils distibute better.:)

omgosh really? okay I'll stop complaining..NOW! lol

UltraBella
December 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I probably have more hair than most people, seriously. I have a freaking ton of hair. I am so thankful for it ! It can be a pain to deal with sometimes but of all the problems to have, I'll take it :)

princessp
December 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure my hair is as thick as all of you (posting above) but I have found that brushing in sections really does help. I have to do the same thing in the shower or my underside hairs (I know there must be a name for it) doesn't really get wet. Welcome to LHC, you should check out the thick haired thread for some other good tips.

ETA: Here is the link to the thick hair thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020&highlight=thick+haired

PrincessBob
December 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
My hair is super thick, semi coarse and very tangle prone, but it is not curly, so I do not think I can give a whole lot of advice (My friend is teaching me how to deal with his corkscrew curls, I have mo experience from before). Yes, super annoying-- thick hair can be super annoying. It has it's rewards, though. and the Thick Haired Folks Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020)is full of people venting and giving advice on how to deal.

triumphator!
December 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My thickness and texture are obnoxious too. I have straight hair underneath and wavy hair on top, and so it's puffy and awkward and the back dries frizzy from my shirt if I don't let it dry in a bun. I also have corkscrews in front of my ears that boing out everywhere if I dont make sure theyre pulled back tightly.

My thickness gets me too because people with thinner hair can manage to do buns at my length but my hair spits out hairsticks because it's too short and thick to stay put. Rawr.

allmixedup88
December 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
My thickness and texture are obnoxious too. I have straight hair underneath and wavy hair on top, and so it's puffy and awkward and the back dries frizzy from my shirt if I don't let it dry in a bun. I also have corkscrews in front of my ears that boing out everywhere if I dont make sure theyre pulled back tightly.

My thickness gets me too because people with thinner hair can manage to do buns at my length but my hair spits out hairsticks because it's too short and thick to stay put. Rawr.

nice to know im not alone... it's so obnoxious sometimes I want to shave my head

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I can relate. I've learned to never brush my hair, except before washing. Any brushing at any other time translates into very big hair. I've also learned to comb my hair to detangle after washing, then leave it alone while it dries. Any extra manipulation adds too much volume. Experiment with different things you read on here. There is a lot of good information here.