PDA

View Full Version : Cures for male-pattern baldness?

BeautifulBella
December 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
my boy toy (ok, he's 32, maybe not a boy anymore) has male-pattern baldness. He started losing it at 29. He keeps his head shaved so no one can tell, but I know that it bothers him that he can't grow hair in the front. What should I do? Does monistat work for curing male pattern baldness? :confused:

Fingolphin
December 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Monistat works, but not for everyone. It's probably worth a try, though. Downside is that it must be used forever if you don't want to lose the hair you gained while using it. If usage is stopped, new hairs drop out. And some people apparently experience a period of shedding when they first start using it.

s_tresses
December 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Massaging with essential oils has been shown to promote regrowth in people with alopecia areata.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=essential+oil

This thread is quite helpful.

Fingolphin
December 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Monistat works, but not for everyone. It's probably worth a try, though. Downside is that it must be used forever if you don't want to lose the hair you gained while using it. If usage is stopped, new hairs drop out. And some people apparently experience a period of shedding when they first start using it.

I'm so sorry, I had a brain-fart and confused Monistat with Rogaine. What I posted above applied to ROGAINE. Personally, I have had good experience with faster hair growth on Monistat. I don't know about RE-growth, though.

littlenvy
December 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
OK .. I did a lot of research into this since my sweety also has the MPB.
Nothing has worked so far. I mean to re-grow the hair. But we have stopped it for now.
Monistat can't be used ALL the time. But it did help to get the hair growing in a bit thicker.
Massage is the key here. You have to increase blood flow to that area.
Hot towel after oil massage is also good.
Mostly I use Emu Oil since it is the closes to humanbody oils and gets absorbed into the skin very very nicely without being greasy and having to be washed off. Its also a natural DHT blocker.
MSM can also help, both topically and internally.
Saw Palmetto is a herb that is supposed to stop the production of DHT and taken as a supplement is good for men's health. As a topical treatment you have to use the Saw Palmetto extract.

Treatments I haven't tried by I hear have worked for some.
Caffeine shampoo, zinc creams (in small amounts), hanging upside down twice a day for 10 minutes at a time, and topical application of Omega 3 (flax seed kind not fish oil which smells :poot:)

As I said before, all that and we haven't re-grown anything yet. But I hear time is important too. I fear that it might be a bit late for my sweety since he has been losing hair for over 10 years. Treatments work best within the first 3-4 years.

Good luck to you and to him.
If it doesn't work then at least he can enjoy daily massages. :DI know mine does :eyebrows:

Purdy Bear
December 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Some treatments work for certain Alopecias (baldness) and dont work for others, so its best to do your research. I have heard of onion juice working for male pattern baldness - heres some articles on it:

http://www.whatcausesbaldness.net/A-Surprising-Treatment.htm

Hot compresses I have found affective but be careful not to burn yourself. I have Alopecia Univarlis (total body hair loss) and found the following very helpful:

Balayam - nail rubbing
Massage
Eating Biotin rich foods but watch out for the spots, also up your protein intake.
Visulisation
Meditation

Aromatheraphy has been shown to have some success:

Aberdeen Infirmary Study showed some success when applying the following recipe for 20 minutes every day:

Grape Seed oil - 4 Teaspoons
Jajoba oil - 1 Teaspoon
Rosemary oil - 3 Drops
Lavender oil - 3 Drops
Cedarwood Atlas oil - 2 Drops
Thyme oil - 2 drops

Another that was made up by an Alopecia Totalis (scalp loss) which is as follows:

Melanie Von Zabuesnig Recipe
Jajoba oil - 1 Tablespoon
Rosemary oil - 3 Drops
Lavender oil - 3 Drops
Lemon Balm (Melissa) oil - 1 Drop
Cedarwood Atlas oil - 1 Drop

Massage in for 30 minutes, then shampoo as normal adding one drop of rosemary oil to each shampoo. As a final rinse add one drop of lavender oil and one drop of rosemary oil to a quart of cool water and poor over your head.

Bay leaf oil is supposed to be good as well for hair growth

Watercress was eatten by the Romans and Greeks for hair growth, however you do need to be careful of overconsumption as it has very high levels of Vitamin A.

Theres an awful lot on this website and out there on the internet. I would get him to start a hair journal (Im on my third) and write a daily/weekly journal.

I would also get him to see a dermatologist as they maybe able to help him with injections into the scalp and other suggestions. The journals would be handy for the dermatologist to see, my last visit even suggested I do one.

Other then that its healthy eatting, exercise and drinking enough water.

BeautifulBella
December 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
thanks so much for all the tips everyone, we will try everything and report on his results! :)

Anje
December 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Rogaine has maid DH's hair thicker than he ever remembers it being on top. (Just keep the stuff away from cats!) Alternatively, consider asking for a prescription for Propecia.

Purdy Bear
December 5th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Forgot to add this one - its worth doing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60372

willowcandra
December 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Nizoral shampoo has an anti androgenic quality. It can stop hormonal shedding and encourage regrowth. Lots of hits if you google it. There have been scientific studies.