PDA

View Full Version : How to put hair up with... Nothing?

MathnSkating
December 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I looked for this in the search, but found nothing.

SO! I recently find myself evacuated in Haifa, well I'm not actually in Haifa anymore. And in my 10 minute packing frenzy I did not pack hair ties. Or a hair brush. I got a hairbrush though, eventually. So that was super fantastic because my hair was getting all tangled after not having been brushed in well over 24 hours :cool: Anyways. All the stores are closed for shabbat and my lone hair tie is about to meet its demise. Also known as snapping. So I thought I'd come to you lovely ladies and gents. My hair is about waist length, and it is really thick. Braids don't stay in long with no hair ties. When it snaps I could just tie it, which I probably will. But I was wondering if there were any other clever hair ideas. It can be crazy! Or helpful. Or maybe one of each.

So, the question of the day: How to put your hair up with no supplies? :confused:

xoxophelia
December 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
In times when I have nothing to use I find a stick shaped object.. either from a tree, a pencil, etc and use it as a hairstick. If you have floss you can also use that to close your braid.

soobie
December 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Pencils work fine for buns, or a piece of twine/string/yarn to tie a braid.

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
A nautilus bun can stay for me if I make it quite tight and really push the centre through; if your hair is too thick/short for that maybe you could do one each side of your head?

That's the only bun I can get to stay without hair accessories.

In a pinch, could you use things like coffee stirrers as short hair sticks? Do you have a scarf or soft belt you could braid through a braid and tie at the end? Or even shoe laces if you packed a pair you don't need yet.

Sending prayers to Israel :grouphug:

Angeletti
December 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA&feature=related
I found this video a while ago and you need nothing but your hair to keep it up. If that doesn't work for you try a lazy wrap bun with a single pencil, I'm wearing one right now and it supports my hair great.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Total MacGyver status :eek:

I am totally going to have to use those next time my hair bands snap :-)

svehex
December 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Great. Can't wait for my hair to get long enough.

neon-dream
December 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
If I twist my hair into a cinnabun, it will stay like that with no hair sticks for a while as long as I tuck the end in :). Other than that, I use a Pencil or my DS stylus through a nautilus bun, or a smoothed out twig or anything I can find really.
Or, finish your braid early and tie your hair in a knot at the end, it looks weird but it does the job!

rach
December 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
mmm http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37134 possibly maybe. Didn't personally work for me , too slippery maybe , can't tell till you've tried?
Usually for me a singular stick suffices. ketylo if you just want to be sure it'll stay in place if you find sticks difficult.

aaperez
December 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
There is a way I do my hair where I bun it and then pull the hair from under the bun and tuck the bun in to the gap. It works verry well for me sometimes lasting almost the whole day.

kittensoupnrice
December 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I can sometimes get a knot style ponytail to work for me without any pins/ties.
I don't usually have much luck with the nautilus bun staying without stuff. It has to be *really* tight and even then it doesn't take much to dislodge it for me.

Other than that, I've used pencils, pens, ribbon, crochet hooks, and knitting needles to hold my hair. Maybe you could turn a piece of kleenex or paper towel into a bit of "ribbon" to tie the end of a braid together? When kleenex or paper towels are twisted it makes a passable rope.

Otherwise, maybe you could find yourself a scarf or handkerchief to hold your hair back in a ponytail or bandana-style.

nowxisxforever
December 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I do a knot in my hair, or my 'locked bee-butt bun' which I have a youtube video on somewhere and an article on here.

Failing that, some things I've used in my hair:
- Chopsticks
- Toothpicks, used like pins
- Sandwich picks (long toothpicks with stuff on the ends)
- Ribbon (tying)
- Yarn/thread (tying)
- Knitting needles

Good luck!

nowxisxforever
December 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
If I twist my hair into a cinnabun, it will stay like that with no hair sticks for a while as long as I tuck the end in :).

This too, though it doesn't tend to work well with blunt ends.

eezepeeze
December 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Do you have an extra sock? I have used a sock as a scrunchie lots of times when I've forgotten hair ties. I just bun my hair as tightly as I can then tie the sock around the bun. Also, you can use it to tie back hair in a ponytail, tie off braids, or tie off a pony, then bun and tie off the bun with the rest of the sock. If you can get your hands on a man's sock, it is better, because they are longer.

do you have pants or a jacket with a drawstring you can cut out or cut off? That would work great for tying off braids or tying hair back into a ponytail.

Do you have any rubber bands in your purse? any paperclips? pens or pencils? These things can be used as hairties, hair pins, or hair sticks.

Keep safe!

MathnSkating
December 4th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Wow, these are awesome. I'm just really unimaginative. Thank you so much! I hate having my hair down, I mean... Its a minor thing but... I dunno.

The drawstring idea is great. I actually have a sweatshirt I brought with one.. I think my PJs do too... Hm. Gives me something to do today. :p

:puppy:

JulietCapulet
December 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I can make a bun without anything...you just fold the ends of your hair in when you are done wrapping it to secure it.

CrisDee
December 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM
That must have been very scary! I hope things have calmed down now - was it because of the fire?

If you're really really desperate, I have a friend who, in a pinch years ago, put her hair in a bun using her thong undies! :D

Anje
December 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
How are things in Haifa? I haven't heard anything since yesterday. (Stupid USA-centric news... even NPR!)

As others have said, pencils or unfolded paperclips (into a U) would make good hairsticks and pins.

There's only one bun I know that really will hold on straight, slippery hair without anything. (Curlies seem to be able to make even cinnamon buns hold without help.) I'd say you need to have hip-length hair at my thickness, though, and longer for thicker. What you do is start by making a celtic knot bun (CinnamonHair demonstrates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3VfxAf-jA)), but reserve that loop you pull through. Once the rest of the length has been wrapped around the base, you take that pulled-through loop and push the whole bun through it. It may take a few tries to find the right size loop to use. Done right, the whole thing functions as a slip knot, and as the bun slides away from the head, that loop tightens around it, so the whole thing stays stable.

picklepie
December 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
My sisters and I used to do a low ponytail by taking a small section from the nape of the neck, wrapping it around the rest of the hair tightly, then tucking the end (maybe 3-4 inches) down through the top of the pony. It stayed pretty well and looked cute, but we all had fairly curly hair.

Masara
December 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM
As many people have said pencils, make up brushes etc ... work well as hairsticks.
Otherwise, I can do an Elling woman bun with no ties, sticks or pins.