PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to over condition and oil

nena_shawty
December 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
i oil my hair every 3 days with coconut and olive oil wrap it in a plastic bag and a tobogan then i sleep in it.... is that to much oiling ... of course my hair is very soft ND SHINY but i was just wondering?thanks:D:rolleyes:

Yozhik
December 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
As long as your hair seems to be responding well by being shiny and manageable, I don't think I'd worry. As long as your hair's drinking it up, it must be good. :)

Of course, however, the oil will build up on your hair, and the more you put on the faster it will build up, but this just means you'll have to be on the lookout for the signs of buildup -- crunchiness, stiffness -- and then clarify. :flower:

Becky Safari
December 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I also oil my hair every 3 days or so by saturating it with EVOO and my hair looks very shiny. I didn't stop to think that there may be a build up problem from a natural oil though...

christine1989
December 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
You can cause buildup if you over condition and oil but since your hair sounds like it is shiny and healthy I think you have found the right oiling balance :).

nena_shawty
December 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
thats good to know

adiapalic
December 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Personally, I haven't even experienced any detriment/injury to my hair from over oiling and/or over conditioning... the only "negative" I guess would be purely cosmetic. This is for me personally.

Come to think of it though, the only problem that would be detrimental to my hair would be too many proteins in conditioner.

tigr
December 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
This link has a good description of what hair is like when it has too much moisture and what to do about it. http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html

Beaglebuddy
December 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Yes, I think it is possible, depending too on your hair type.
I was doing olive oil treatments once a week, all year long, and then suddenly this fall, my hair just went limp and couldn't style it whenever I would use olive oil. Now, I think a big part of it may have been using way too much. So, I quit using it for a week or two. Then two weeks ago, I did a cassia treatment, which gave my hair lots of body, and I have been able to start doing oil treatments again. I have cut down from using a full tablespoon to just a few drops though.
But as others have said if your hair feels healthy with doing it as often as that, keep on with it.