PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to clarify before returning to WO?

RecklessCharlie
December 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
A question for any WO LHC'rs. I've done WO in the past and loved it but recently switched back to CO for a time because the air where I am is extreeeeemly dry.
I'd like to go back to WO now but I'm wondering if I need to clarify wash before doing so? My scalp freaks out with Shampoo and I'd rather not but if its necessary to remove buildup I will. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

pepperminttea
December 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I've only casually dabbled in WO, but if you're cone-free, I wouldn't think you'd need to. Most 'cones aren't water-soluble unless they have the PEG prefix, so clarifying first might be an idea if you are using them.

Annalouise
December 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I did WO for two months. I now do CO. All soap is devastating to my skin and hair. I don't see why you cannot transition to WO without soap. If soap doesn't affect you adversely then go ahead and use it.

little_cherry
December 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hmm...conditioners, oils and butters will build up on the hair, so I'd say yes to clarifying followed by an acidic rinse.

Deborah
December 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
You can clarify without shampoo or soap. Just add a tablespoon or two of baking soda into your conditioner, and then CO-wash as usual. Follow that with an acidic rinse. That should do it.

jeanniet
December 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
I would do the baking soda clarifying, but if you're having an issue with dryness, use just a little baking soda. You can always do a second clarifying rinse if you need to. Try a teaspoon or even less, and mix it into warm water so it dissolves fully. Follow with an ACV or citric acid rinse.

Baking soda can work really well, but it's a good idea to be judicious with it until you know how your hair does with it. It's great for my hair in small amounts, but if I used a whole tablespoon of it my hair would be fried. Other people don't seem to have trouble with using that much. So proceed cautiously. :)

little_cherry
December 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Personally, I would steer clear of adding baking soda to conditioner/shampoo. Adding BS to these will not dissolve it leaving the BS particles jagged which can damage the cuticles of the hair. Has anyone seen baking soda under a microscope? It's pointy and jagged. If you do go down the BS route, dissolve 1 tbs into 1 cup of hot water by stirring it vigorously and while in the shower, add another cup of warm water to it to cool it down. Pour this over your hair and let rest for a few minutes. Rinse out very well in warm water and follow with a acidic rinse (2tbs vinegar in2 cups of water).