PDA

View Full Version : What are you afraid of, then?

Medievalmaniac
December 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
APPARENTLY, we are all cowards as regards something or another concerning our hair:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/why-some-women-are-afraid-to-cut-their-hair-2415570/?pg=12#comments

I love these articles. They always make me laugh. :p

So - out with it: what's YOUR deep-seated, psychological or neurological issue that prevents you from lopping off your luscious locks? :eyebrows:

Kaijah
December 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
xD Oh lordy. These people.

My issue...? Well, I'm terrified of how horrible I look with short hair. :P

Alvrodul
December 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
APPARENTLY, we are all cowards as regards something or another concerning our hair:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/why-some-women-are-afraid-to-cut-their-hair-2415570/?pg=12#comments

I love these articles. They always make me laugh. :p

So - out with it: what's YOUR deep-seated, psychological or neurological issue that prevents you from lopping off your luscious locks? :eyebrows:
Well - for me it is more or less a theological issue, sort of. ;) (And that is a wonder, for a deeply irreligious person!:p) Vanity! One of the Seven Deadly Sins! :gabigrin: I loooooove my hair - and more so since I discovered henna, and would not willingly part with a millimeter of it. I wrestle with myself before every trim, and the scissors don't always win.:p

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Don't have one :( Wish I did...I mean that. I've never had any type of mental or spiritual affinity for my hair, no attachments. This might explain my years of pixie and wedge styles.

I lurked here for years. Now a few months ago I finally joined the formum in hopes to change all that!!!

lindenblossom
December 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
For me, growing to terminal length is one thing in my life that is being done with a complete absence of fear.

I don't care what's in style. I am not afraid of not "fitting in".

It's not logic, and it's not conformity. It's pure pleasure.

LisaMonster
December 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mine is absolutely the fact that my hair was used as a tool for abuse when I was a child. I posted about it in the "scariest hair moment" thread that now that I'm away from my abusive father who set my hair on fire and would rip it and cut it and beat me with a hair dryer, I don't have to worry about anything happening to my hair that I don't do myself. It's a freeing, liberating feeling, and I'd like to hang onto it.

SheaLynne
December 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Haha...fear of continuing to do what I don't want to do...go to hairstylists who want to push the latest thing or tell me how great my hair would look with a perm...pay money that I'd rather spend somewhere else for those cuts I don't want...and be on the ever-lasting treadmill of trying to keep up with the "style" that some unknown somebody says is acceptable this year....yeah, fear of continuing to suppress what I really like better than all that. :D

rhosyn_du
December 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
I guess one could make an argument for laziness contributing to my desire for long hair, since my wave pattern in short hair takes 40+ minutes to get looking decent in the morning, whereas a neat-looking updo usually takes less than 5. But, mostly, I like that my hair is soft an pretty. Is liking soft, pretty things some sort of deep-seated psychological issue, now? :rolleyes:

adiapalic
December 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
What a riveting article. :rolleyes: Some of the comments are even more thrilling. Cutting edge. Amazing! I especially like the one that says she pities long haired women, and calls it "man trap" hair. Sheesh.

Apparently I'm afraid of not having enough hair to trap my man in!

Eireann
December 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm afraid of being associated with snarky beauty editors who feel entitled to criticize total strangers on their personal appearance.

Coffeebug
December 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
So the person who wrote that article doesn't like long hair, therefore long hair is bad and the individual who grows it that long must basically be nuts in some way?? Nice! Always good to see respect for other people's opinions and preferences isn't it LOL!!

ChatNoir
I guess it has something to do with my childhood (oh no, brace yourselves!!!)... No, but seriously though! xD my mother would force me to cut back every time I reached shoulder length. I guess I'm feeling a bit more independent now, at 18... :)

Eboshi
For some people, anything out of the ordinary is cause for suspicion.

If that author didn't want to discuss the "pecularities" of long hair as a topic it would probably be "Why do some women wear short skirts?" ; "Why do some women wear pants?" ; "What's up with Uggs?" "Why aren't YOU wearing Black eyeshadow a la Taylor Momsen?"

*big yawn*

DARKMARTIAN
December 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
I dont cut mine because I dont wanna lose my natural mosquito back shooer-offer.....:D

HairFaerie
December 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I can see some of the points, I am sure there are plenty of people that have long hair for purely "psychological" reasons, but like one of the people who commented pointed out, what about people that do it purely because they love long hair?!?

I agree with the fact that people can use their hair to identify with. I did it with short hair! I had a mohawk for that very reason. People identify themselves with many things. Is it such a bad thing that long hair be one of them?

I am growing mine because I want to. I feel it will somehow connect me with nature the longer I grow it. Is that a fear? I don't think it is. Is there some deep, psychological things that I am acting out on? You bet there is! ;) To me, that's the best part of the journey, discovering deep things inside of yourself waiting to get out. If it takes me growing my hair long to find them, why not?!?! I say it's a good thing!

I want to grow my hair long to see where it leads me instead of worrying about what's in fashion or what looks best on me. I want to explore the deep, inner crevices of my soul and I think my hair is a good place to start!

Unofficial_Rose
December 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
The first post is genius: "I am just fortunate to have my hair length overshadowed by my intellect, sense of humour, love for others and my lion-hearted courage... the better parts of me.."

Apparently no sense of humour, modesty or a modicum of self-awareness, then?

Kamama
December 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm afraid of being associated with snarky beauty editors who feel entitled to criticize total strangers on their personal appearance.

Same here!

HairFaerie
December 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
The first post is genius: "I am just fortunate to have my hair length overshadowed by my intellect, sense of humour, love for others and my lion-hearted courage... the better parts of me.."

Apparently no sense of humour, modesty or a modicum of self-awareness, then?

I found the first post rather disturbing too. As if people with long hair have none of those things! Give me a break! She made it sound as if someone who has long hair is just automatically is a "lump of hair" and people can't get past the hair to see other parts! Wow! If that's the case, I would feel bad for the person doing that, in this case, it sounds like she's the one who can't look at people for who they are. She can't see the person past the hair! Sounds like SHE is the one with the problem!

Alvrodul
December 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
An excellent point!

Tia2010
December 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Maybe I just don't feel the need to conform to what society thinks I should do with my hair ... so if they want to think the only reason I have long hair is because I'm to afraid to cut it :scared: well then, whatever :D

I guess when I had my pixie I was somehow fearless but now that I 'm growing to tailbone I have issues . yeah OK .

lundmir
December 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Although I agree and actually have known people who identify with their hair, there are plenty who just plain like it. If I get sick of it I'm getting a silver pixie, but as for now, I love it and want it really long.

Besides, it is none of anybody's business whatever anyone else likes on themselves.

DARKMARTIAN
December 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe I just don't feel the need to conform to what society thinks I should do with my hair ...so if they want to think the only reason I have long hair is because I'm to afraid to cut it :scared: well then, whatever :D

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/buttrock-1.gif

xoxophelia
December 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
The article honestly sounds like it was written by a bitter woman who felt the need to put the long haired woman in the restaurant in her "place". Just the fact that she calls it a man trap means that she recognizes some people find long hair to be attractive and why would another person's confidence make the writer "pity" them? Oi...

Islandgrrl
December 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hmmm....I'm not afraid.

My hair is long for the same reason that I don't wear makeup. I choose it.

little_cherry
December 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
What are they talking about? Well, I'm growing my hair long so the aliens won't get to me.

Though, I could grow it long to whip judgmental people? *hides*

Xandergrammy
December 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm terrified of looking like a man if I get my hair cut. :scared: With my kind of hair, it has to be really long or really short to behave nicely. Now that I'm older, I fear looking like an old man instead of an old woman. :gabigrin:

ETA: I just actually read the article and now I think this woman is just an opinionated jack-a$$. Why don't we have a smilie for that???

skaempfer
December 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
I can't tell you the number of people who have said something like this to me over the years. The logic escapes me. Do they also think people born with a beautiful face should get plastic surgery to be made plain? Otherwise they are just clinging to their man-trap face?

I feel sorry for people who want longer hair but never get it past their shoulders because they always give in to social pressure to get it cut into the latest style. And there is a lot of pressure; we've gone from vaguely creepy to borderline mentally ill, here. :rolleyes:

xoxophelia
December 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
I can't tell you the number of people who have said something like this to me over the years. The logic escapes me. Do they also think people born with a beautiful face should get plastic surgery to be made plain? Otherwise they are just clinging to their man-trap face?

I feel sorry for people who want longer hair but never get it past their shoulders because they always give in to social pressure to get it cut into the latest style. And there is a lot of pressure; we've gone from vaguely creepy to borderline mentally ill, here. :rolleyes:

Lol.. my thoughts as well. What is wrong with being a man trap anyways? :eyebrows:

Eireann
December 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Although I agree and actually have known people who identify with their hair, there are plenty who just plain like it. If I get sick of it I'm getting a silver pixie, but as for now, I love it and want it really long.

Besides, it is none of anybody's business whatever anyone else likes on themselves.

Me too on the silver pixie! ('Though in my case the silver will be from cutting off all my dyed hair.) I started this hair journey with a salt and pepper pixie, a la Jamie Lee Curtis, and now have hip-length dyed brown hair. When the time comes to give in to the grey (which won't be any time soon), I will probably chop back to pixie. It's such a cute look!

Rabya-Khadija
December 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hah, well what a load of rubbish. Long hair is a sign of beauty and femininity in so many parts of the world... it will be a shame when those parts start to think the same as beauty magazine following robots here :D

*Aoife*
December 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have something to tell you
*big deep breath in*
*slowly exhales*
..... it's hard to do this....
I.... like my hair!

And "man trap" :rolleyes: eh, not what I do ;)

pepperminttea

Amen! :cheese:

spidermom
Say what? I've had short hair most of my life. I'm growing it out because I want something different.

DARKMARTIAN
December 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Your nothing but a bunch of hippies....gotta go outta your way to rebel against society. Everyone in this thread should be ashamed of themselves.......

GET A HAIR CUT!!!!!

Themyst
December 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've always been a non-comformist. I think that if I ever cut my hair, I would just blend in with the rest of society and become boring.

Madora
December 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
The woman who wrote the article has mush for brains. How on earth would SHE know what was going on in the mind of the lady who had hair down to her posterior? The long haired woman probably enjoyed her hair and liked it long, based on the fact that it was that length. I can't see anyone who loathed long hair wanting to put up with caring for it if they didn't like it that length.

Short hair (shoulder length or shorter) is fine for some folks, but it sure is boring as hell compared with long hair!

tanya222
December 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
xD Oh lordy. These people.

My issue...? Well, I'm terrified of how horrible I look with short hair. :P

Same here!! I HAD short hair and looked horrid. Never again.

Long hair makes me feel feminine and that's that.

sibiryachka
December 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
That is some of the most bass-ackward thinking I've ever seen. Fear has nothing to do with it! If I were talking about not wanting to give up on a valued longterm relationship because of all the time and energy and commitment I'd invested in it, and because it contributed to my overall happiness, I'd be offended as all get-out if the person hearing me insisted on interpreting that as "She's really just afraid of loss", and I wouldn't waste much more time on that conversation.
Humph.

LisaMonster
December 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Okay, I recognize that the tone of this particular article is pretty off, but that doesn't mean it's completely unfounded. I was certainly put off by the "why doesn't she cut her hair? doesn't she know how bad it looks" statement, but parts of the article were actually interesting.

You may not have any emotional or psychological reason for growing your hair other than the fact that you like it long, but that doesn't mean that the idea of it is completely absurd.

In addition to that, I don't think that it's WRONG to have a psychological attachment to your hair.

I honestly feel a really emotional connection to my hair. It has been a major part of my journey toward healing, in addition to many other things. My hair is really intimate to me. I feel close and connected to my boyfriend when he strokes it or plays with it.

Right now, long hair is a part of my inner strength. Im sorry if that's difficult for you to grasp. That being said, it may not always be, but for the time being, yes, I am attached.

Also, I think it's pretty common for women (or men?) to cry when cutting off a large amount of hair, even if that is what they really want. Doesn't this indicate a psychological connection?

*Aoife*
December 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Your nothing but a bunch of hippies....gotta go outta your way to rebel against society. Everyone in this thread should be ashamed of themselves.......

GET A HAIR CUT!!!!!

Right back at ya Mister :p:D

mariika
December 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Childhood trauma (well, if you call 14 childhood :D) - I had my hair cut off anf I looked UGLY for two years.

kmoc123
December 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Failing algebra and not graduating...

mali
December 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM

Definitely!

ddiana1979
December 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Meh. I gave up trying to "fit in" with the newest hairstyles. They hardly ever look good on me. The 80s was a complete disaster. . . trying to have high bangs & permed hair. I looked like a poodle. Very short hair doesn't look good on me either.

So screw it. . . I'm considered eccentric & even "weird" in practically every other aspect of my life. I might as well have long hair since I love it and it flatters me. Very dark straight hair & pale skin appeals to my inner gothic. ;)

Valdeon
December 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hmm... That is quite amuzing :cool:

So long hair doesn't look good when it is natural and yet the same magazine recommends extensions to do the job:
http://www.allure.com/magazine/2010/01/37_hair_ideas?mbid=synd_yshine#slide=32

They do really need to straigten out their policy on long hair :p

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
*looks at man* *looks at hair trap*

I've got nothing to fear now.

I'm kidding. I wouldn't be with a man that shallow. Someone who has long hair to get a man deserves one who would fall for that. I hope they'd be happy.

What am I afraid of? Losing half my life to trying to style my hair only for it to look worse than it ever does now.

DorothyAtForty
December 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I don't understand how the commenter could say:

I have seen women with what I call "man trap" length hair that needs to be completely shaved off and regrown out again due dull, splitended hair. In those with long locks I feel NO jealously whatsoever, only pity towards this seemingly nice woman who can't afford a mirror to see the condition her hair is in...

and then go on to say how she has love for others:

I am just fortunate to have my hair length overshadowed by my intellect, sense of humour, love for others and my lion-hearted courage...

I am just really confused. People shouldn't be/sound so mean.

soobie
December 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
What a rubbish article.

She dumps on a stranger for having long hair, saying "I couldn't help but think to myself, "Why doesn't she cut her hair? She can't possibly think it looks good.", but then proceeds to state"I'm a long-haired girl myself and love that my stylist obeys my half-inch trim requests."

:disgust:

2peasinapod
December 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm still amused at her comments about how men don't fall for long hair in real life. The only time my mother ever got the attention of all the males in the room was when she wore her then waist length hair down!

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Haha...fear of continuing to do what I don't want to do...go to hairstylists who want to push the latest thing or tell me how great my hair would look with a perm...pay money that I'd rather spend somewhere else for those cuts I don't want...and be on the ever-lasting treadmill of trying to keep up with the "style" that some unknown somebody says is acceptable this year....yeah, fear of continuing to suppress what I really like better than all that. :D

What you do NOT want to look like someone who some other person says is "cool"... oh you can't sit with us at lunch

PrincessBob
December 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm afraid of fitting into the expectations of fashion magazines and losing my right to decide that I look good this way, at least to myself, and if others don't like it, too bad for them that they feel they can dictate how others feel about their own beauty.

luxepiggy
December 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
I'm afraid of turning into Heather Muir when I grow up . . . it must be terrible to be consumed by jealousy of other peoples' TBL hair when you're trying to enjoy a quiet meal out at a restaurant! I mean, it's just difficult to enjoy a tasty entrée and be catty at the same time (^(oo)~)

^(she wrote the article)

Angelica
December 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Okay, I recognize that the tone of this particular article is pretty off, but that doesn't mean it's completely unfounded. I was certainly put off by the "why doesn't she cut her hair? doesn't she know how bad it looks" statement, but parts of the article were actually interesting.

You may not have any emotional or psychological reason for growing your hair other than the fact that you like it long, but that doesn't mean that the idea of it is completely absurd.

In addition to that, I don't think that it's WRONG to have a psychological attachment to your hair.

I honestly feel a really emotional connection to my hair. It has been a major part of my journey toward healing, in addition to many other things. My hair is really intimate to me. I feel close and connected to my boyfriend when he strokes it or plays with it.

Right now, long hair is a part of my inner strength. Im sorry if that's difficult for you to grasp. That being said, it may not always be, but for the time being, yes, I am attached.

Also, I think it's pretty common for women (or men?) to cry when cutting off a large amount of hair, even if that is what they really want. Doesn't this indicate a psychological connection?

I read what you said your father did to you in another post and feel so horrified that you were treated in that way.

I always feel my hair is part of my identity. I don't wear make-up, another poster has already stated she doesn't wear make-up either. It seemed at one time a woman/girl wasn't considered normal if she didn't wear make-up, now I see it is coming more common.

My hair is easier to handle longer. My father hated my hair, it was too fine and thin to be long he thought, but then that is genetics and I can't do anything about that.

I did have short hair once, but grew it back because it was too much work and I prefer long hair anyway.

Although I will never gain the great lengths that many on this board do, I intend to keep my hair long.

It's my identity. I like being an individual. Not many people that I associate with have long hair.

Good luck with your journey with your hair!

Xandergrammy
December 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I've always been a non-comformist. I think that if I ever cut my hair, I would just blend in with the rest of society and become boring.

I like this! :thumbsup:

prosperina
December 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM

I think what you're saying has merit, and I can definitely see how we all have emotional connections to things, and hair could easily be one of them. But I think the writer of the article is trying to imply that long hairs have a negative connection that keeps them from moving forward and embracing supposedly modern, fashion-forward things like contemporary hair styles. So she thinks an emotional connection to hair is a negative, but she acts like long hair is an unchanging thing, and it isn't. You must also be flexible to have long hair.

squiggyflop
December 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
LMAO..

i suppose if i was afraid of something i would say that im afraid of looking awful.. which i do look awful with short hair.. it becomes farrah hair

lundmir
December 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Me too on the silver pixie! ('Though in my case the silver will be from cutting off all my dyed hair.) I started this hair journey with a salt and pepper pixie, a la Jamie Lee Curtis, and now have hip-length dyed brown hair. When the time comes to give in to the grey (which won't be any time soon), I will probably chop back to pixie. It's such a cute look!

Hahaha, rock on! Mine would be artificial, as not even when I age I'll get so much silver :<

I do agree, it is really cute.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
LMAO..

i suppose if i was afraid of something i would say that im afraid of looking awful.. which i do look awful with short hair.. it becomes farrah hair

I spend hours getting my hair to look like Farrah & yours just looks like that :boohoo: :(

Babyfine
December 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
What a rubbish article.

She dumps on a stranger for having long hair, saying "I couldn't help but think to myself, "Why doesn't she cut her hair? She can't possibly think it looks good.", but then proceeds to state"I'm a long-haired girl myself and love that my stylist obeys my half-inch trim requests."

:disgust:

Exactly what I thought.

kwaniesiam
December 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well, apparently I fear nothing since I've shaved it all off before :twisted:

Tia2010
December 3rd, 2010, 05:54 PM

I completely agree you can have an emotional attachment to hair ....I just disagree with the author's theory that the reason most people have long hair is because we're afraid of something as opposed to it being a choice we make.

mrs_coffee
December 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
It's amusing to me that people like this author have to find some deep-seated emotional problem for something as simple as liking long hair. If she really spends that much energy thinking that deeply about other women's hair choices, she has too much time on her hands.

squiggyflop
December 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I spend hours getting my hair to look like Farrah & yours just looks like that :boohoo: :(
lol sorry.. its just naturally like that.. i hated all the comments on it all the time.. i used to spend hours trying to make it not look like farrah hair.. for some reason when i have short hair the wave pattern just sets that way when i airdry it.. i think it has something to do with my huge curl pattern.. my ponytail forms into one single big 3inch diameter sausage curl.. i figure that with nothing to weight down the massive curl it cant help but become farrah hair..

if it makes you feel better when my hair is pixicut it just stands on end and refuses to lay flat..

PraiseCheeses
December 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM

"THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr - "Harrison Bergeron" :cool:

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
lol sorry.. its just naturally like that.. i hated all the comments on it all the time.. i used to spend hours trying to make it not look like farrah hair.. for some reason when i have short hair the wave pattern just sets that way when i airdry it.. i think it has something to do with my huge curl pattern.. my ponytail forms into one single big 3inch diameter sausage curl.. i figure that with nothing to weight down the massive curl it cant help but become farrah hair..

if it makes you feel better when my hair is pixicut it just stands on end and refuses to lay flat..

what's next you're going to tell me you're naturally thin? LOL

lucky lucky lucky woman!

irishlady
December 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
So the person who wrote that article doesn't like long hair, therefore long hair is bad and the individual who grows it that long must basically be nuts in some way?? Nice! Always good to see respect for other people's opinions and preferences isn't it LOL!!

lol some people are incredible, what next? Being criticised for having any hair on our heads at all?

By the way, I like the avatar, is it a Tim Burton illustration?

squiggyflop
December 3rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
what's next you're going to tell me you're naturally thin? LOL

lucky lucky lucky woman!
thin no.. i was when i was younger.. if you can call that natural.. i was ultra twig thin because food didnt taste good due to depression.. im not depressed and food now tastes awesome (as opposed to the bland ash grossness that it was before) my weight now is natural.. but im by no means thin at 145 pounds and 5'6".. i like to call my belly, my chubb.. i naturally have a bit of chubb and im ok with it.. also you can see how wide my butt is in my avatar.. so no.. not naturally thin

silverjen
December 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hair is part of our self-identity, and there's nothing wrong with that! I've spent most of my life as a shorthair and a compulsive chopper. I came to LHC for help in letting go of the need to chop. I had two reasons for wanting to make the change. One, I was tired of having to trim all the time, and two, I look better with long hair. Oh, and three, longer hair is fun!

That being said, I do feel like I am changing my identity. It's been occasionally difficult and unexpectedly emotional. But it's my choice, and I'm doing it for the right reasons. So why in the name of Pat would anyone want to force this choice on anyone else? In a backhanded way she's saying there is only one right self-identity, and if you don't conform then you are inferior. To heck with that!

littlenvy
December 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Neeeaaahhh!

I just have an addictive personality.Growing long and healthy hair is my latest addiction .... along with eating loads and loads of cheese! :cheese::cheese:

adiapalic
December 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM

So long hair doesn't look good when it is natural and yet the same magazine recommends extensions to do the job:

From your link:
2. Starting at the nape, take one section, tease hair at the roots, and spritz with hair spray. Fasten the fake hair in place to the scalp as close as you can. Repeat this process with each section until you reach the crown, then check in the mirror to make sure there aren't any visible lumps where the clips are (if so, take out that piece and redo it, making sure there's at least an inch-wide section of your natural hair above it to conceal the clips).[bold mine]

Good NIGHT--do people really do this when they put clip-in extensions in?? That's one way to make your hair break off and become even shorter and thinner... worst advice ever. :disgust:

littlenvy
December 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Yes adiapalic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=10220) :( My StepDD does this. She had such lovely thick brown hair before she got the clip ons. Now she has patches where she went bald. And hair hair breakes like crazy and grows very very slowly.
Yet she still does it because she wants to look like she has lots of long hair. :( Maybe this winter I can get her to quite.

nowxisxforever
December 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
For me, growing to terminal length is one thing in my life that is being done with a complete absence of fear.

This. :cheese:

These articles are so rediculous.

Rebelkat
December 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm afraid of being so unhappy with my appearance that I must write nasty articles about total strangers who make a different style choice than me. That's what I'm afraid of. :rolleyes:

skaempfer
December 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
"THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr - "Harrison Bergeron" :cool:

Oh, yes, the handicapper general! I was just reading Vonnegut a couple of weeks ago, and this is what I was thinking. But seriously, my whole life has been split between people who compliment me on my hair, and people who tell me I'm hiding behind it. I could never get the logic. With any other physical attribute with which you happen to be positively blessed, standard advice (and common sense) say make the most of it. With hair, it's 'cut it off, you're hiding behind it/using it to distract.'

And yeah, Lisa, we all have emotional attachments to our hair. I have emotional attachments to some of my clothes, too, but I have the impression the author thinks we are being held prisoner somehow- the hair is keeping us instead of the other way round. I guess I resent her assuming we are all that weak. She may speak for herself if she likes, and there may be a few other people on the planet to whom this article actually applies, but I'd be willing to bet that most of us are a lot stronger than she is.

UltraBella
December 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Am I afraid ? Oh absolutely ! I am afraid that if I cut my giant thick mane of hair off....... my butt will look bigger !
It's true. It will. I just know it.

Jules diamond
December 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Woah...those people in the comments have some baggage longer then their hair!

Dreams_in_Pink
December 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Quoting another comment on the same page:

Women are afraid to cut their hair for the same reason you are afraid to grow yours!

Ditto! :D

Juneii
December 4th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I am not my hair because I am NOT afraid. I am not afraid of hearing others tell me that my hair is too long and feel pressured to cut it to something more "stylish" and ordinary.

Toadstool
December 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Am I afraid ? Oh absolutely ! I am afraid that if I cut my giant thick mane of hair off....... my butt will look bigger !
It's true. It will. I just know it.
hahaha:happydance:

meerikal
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Wow, I love it when the sheeple come up with the "your afraid of change" stuff because someone won't bow to the current whims of society. Personally I am afraid that without hair I will look like Mr. Potato head, same reason I don't wear hats. Also I've been told that if I cut my hair the earth will shrink to the size of a small soup bowl, the sun will turn green and cats will take over control. Seriously I just can't let that happen, can you? (Sorry I tried to play this straight, but I couldn't hold it together in the face of overwhelming idiocy:) )

JulietCapulet
December 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure cowardly is the feeling I get...it's more being someone who has learned to value her hair enough to be wary of those things that might destroy it. I see this as a positive thing. Cowardly would denote something we won't do out of fear even though we should. Hurting our hair is not something we should do and something people should avoid.

noelgirl
December 4th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Courage isn't about a hairstyle, long or short. It's about getting through the tough stuff that life throws at us and not backing down. It's about not taking the path of least resistance. If someone can look at my life today and not see the courage I've shown just getting here just because of my hair, they're very easily distracted :p

mellie89
December 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
That article makes absolutely no sense. The author, who HAS LONG HAIR, is criticizing someone for having "butt long" (butt long?! whaaa?) hair? So what, it's okay to have long hair, but not THAT long? Or does she just have a problem with the girl being proud of and showing off her hair?

Those articles make me sick sometimes.

I'm not afraid to cut my hair. I'm growing it long because I want to and because it makes me happy.

princessp
December 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hair down her spine. She undulates and saunters down the aisles of the restaurant. Along her way tentacles of lightening fast long hair unfurl to collect men, constricting and trapping them in her hairy web....

Hahaha the author really doesn't know anything does she! We LHCers know (secret sign) Ms long hair was simply performing the secret dance of all long hairs (horripilate ecstatica). You know the one we learned when we were indoctrinated into this cult as "hairlings"? Anyone catch any good men lately? :D

triumphator!
December 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
What an outright condescending article!! :angry:

Unofficial_Rose
December 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hair down her spine. She undulates and saunters down the aisles of the restaurant. Along her way tentacles of lightening fast long hair unfurl to collect men, constricting and trapping them in her hairy web....

Actually that would be a damn good selling point for long hair for many women (and a few men, too) :p Saying hair is a man-trap is hardly likely to put women off, is it?

I am afraid of hair that has to be washed and styled every morning to look tolerable, because I resent getting up even earlier than normal. :)

lajsa
December 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
That article is seriously stupid. Like everyone MUST cut their hair unless something is wrong with them. Foolish fools and idiotic idiots. Ohyeah, my hair is long since I'm scared of cutting it! I have a serious cutting phobia, of course. Seriously. REALLY.

Medievalmaniac
December 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I just think these are funny. It's so self-contradictory, and where are her credentials for that fabulous psychological profile she did on all long hairs? lol

For my part, I'm terrified of cutting my long hair because.....I would miss my long hair, and it might cause damage to my marriage because of my kvetching all the time about how I shouldn't have cut it off until it grew back again. Oh - wait! I guess that means I DO consider my long hair a man trap and I actually AM worried that cutting it will make me less desirable.... BWAhahahahahaha! <snorting laughter>.

FrannyG
December 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm terrified of looking like a man if I get my hair cut. :scared: With my kind of hair, it has to be really long or really short to behave nicely. Now that I'm older, I fear looking like an old man instead of an old woman. :gabigrin:

ETA: I just actually read the article and now I think this woman is just an opinionated jack-a$$. Why don't we have a smilie for that???

I completely agree that this woman is an opinionated jack-a$$. Why not just let people do what they want?

I also understand exactly what you mean about feeling as though you would look mannish with short hair. Me too. :o

I've gone back and forth from very short hair, short hair, mid length hair or long hair in various stages of my life, but I never did feel like myself with very short hair.

I notice that with age and a bit more weight, I am sort of seeing my Dad's face in the mirror these days, and no matter what, I WILL NEVER wear my hair very short again!!! :shake:

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I completely agree that this woman is an opinionated jack-a$$. Why not just let people do what they want?

I also understand exactly what you mean about feeling as though you would look mannish with short hair. Me too. :o

I've gone back and forth from very short hair, short hair, mid length hair or long hair in various stages of my life, but I never did feel like myself with very short hair.

I notice that with age and a bit more weight, I am sort of seeing my Dad's face in the mirror these days, and no matter what, I WILL NEVER wear my hair very short again!!! :shake:

I'm the same way with the different lengths. With age, I see my grandmother's face in the mirror and I always thought she looked like a man, kinda sorta (sorry Mommom- I love you but your hair was too short). So no more short hair for me, either!

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yep, I too share a face with my father and brothers - square jaw, bulb nose, small eyes. I just don't have the bone structure or facial features for shorter cuts. I can pull off "boyishly cute" on a good day, but never "feminine." On the other hand, I inherited my Danish/German mother's fine, blonde hair. I love how soft it is and how it goes from muddy honey and dark gold in dim light to bright golden with lighter highlights in sunlight. It's like stealth blonde! Why wouldn't I want as much of that on my person as I can have? I just wish I'd managed to grow it out sooner, but I got caught up in an endless cycle of long layers to chop to long layers....

It may have already been said before, but I think it's funny that the author of the article essentially calls "refusal to conform" "fear and insecurity." To me, it's the ones who cultivate their appearance to fit in who probably lack confidence and a sense of self. They're trying to look like "that celebrity" or conform with "that standard" rather than being comfortable with who they are.

p3_Arme
December 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I look beautiful with long hair and positively scarey with short hair.
I had a chin bob once and boy did I look awful :)

But currently my hair in Bum length and growing to Thigh length or classic, or 4 ft, which ever comes first LOL

I will cut my hair once it gets past the looking after stage, as in hair too long to maintain myself or gets too difficult to care for.

Dani
December 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
It may have already been said before, but I think it's funny that the author of the article essentially calls "refusal to conform" "fear and insecurity." To me, it's the ones who cultivate their appearance to fit in who probably lack confidence and a sense of self. They're trying to look like "that celebrity" or conform with "that standard" rather than being comfortable with who they are.

You are awesome. That is exactly it, and society is quite a trip... I love being me. :D

Your hair sounds beautiful. :)

mali
December 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Right back at ya',sister.:p

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Aww, thank you Dani! *blushes*

squiggyflop
December 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
read some of her other articles.. she sure is snarky..

hazelnut
December 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I'm afraid that it will take forever and a day for me to grow my hair back if I were to cut it.

Demetrue
December 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Ummm, let's see - I am afraid of doing some kind of drastic radical change to my appearance, which will involve losing something I am very happy with and love, in order to please a complete stranger whom I don't know and never will meet ... (and who apparently possesses this very same thing that she believes others should lose)

However, if the therapist's view is correct, that hair can be an integral part of a woman's gestalt and identity, as part of someone as a tooth or an arm, then why in heaven's name would anyone insist that another woman loss an integral part of their gestalt and identity, just because YOU are uncomfortable with it. The woman with long hair at the restaurant was not harming anyone and apparently she felt good about her appearance - respect her for that and let her be. She's not here to decorate your world.

kabelaced
December 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Of course. You need to keep damaging your hair and use fake, "perfect" hair to fit in, because then you're spending more money. Growing your own hair long means less money for the industry! ;)

Also, PraiseCheeses, thank you so much for that quote! That's exactly what I thought of when I read skaempfer's post, and I'd actually been looking for the title of that short story ever since I first read it about six years ago. Thank you!! :)

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM
why in heaven's name would anyone insist that another woman loss an integral part of their gestalt and identity, just because YOU are uncomfortable with it.

I may be stepping out on a limb here, but I think it goes back to women's traditional passive role in securing a mate and thus a good life for herself. A woman competed for a mate with her physical beauty, while men would prove their worth as providers with first hunting and then with prestigious careers and lots o' money. Women generally sat back and waited to be selected. Even now, it's usually the man who proposes marriage. Fortunately, most of this has changed. Unfortunately, those instincts are deeply ingrained, and attractive women are threatening to other women in that they have the potential to snap up the "providers" (in this case with "man-trap hair," LOL). You still see it all the time - women making catty comments to other women, talking negatively about them behind their backs, etc. How many times have I seen people posting here that their short-haired friends would say things like, "You have such beautiful hair. Why don't you cut it?" or alternately just, "You really need to cut your hair"?

My guess is that when this long-haired woman came into the restaurant, a lot of male eyes turned to her automatically. Long hair is eye-catching, whether it's in good shape or not - and getting someone's attention is the first step to holding their attention. The author was probably not jealous of the long-haired woman, but sure was jealous of the attention it garnered her!

kwaniesiam
December 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
From your link: [bold mine]

Good NIGHT--do people really do this when they put clip-in extensions in?? That's one way to make your hair break off and become even shorter and thinner... worst advice ever. :disgust:

Yes, that's actually how you're "supposed" to put in clip-ins, if you want them to stay in well anyway.

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 09:54 PM
You're welcome kabelaced! I'm glad your mystery is solved. Few things are more frustrating than "losing" a story or a piece of music! :)

(Thread hijack - if anyone wants to read about the benefits of true equality, the whole story can be read here. (http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html) It's worth a quick read.)

thatjengirl1
December 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Lol i'm not afraid of cutting my hair, i just DONT WANT TO :)

i find taking care of my hair as a passion and somewhat of a hobby. it's something i enjoy. i enjoy looking at long hair and talking about it. also seeing how long it takes to grow.

i have a question....why DO people cut their hair????
Maybe there the weird ones!
Long hair is natural! how is that weird?

papillion
December 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM
"Maybe I should have minded my own business…"

Yes she should have. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

missmorbus
December 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wow, what a judgmental article. I think the person with issues is the author of the article, not people with long hair.

The woman with "butt-long" hair that proudly swung her hair while she walked was probably perceived as far more attractive than the author simply because she had confidence in herself. The author is obviously lacking in self confidence if she felt the need to publicly trash the proud long haired woman simply because the woman was happy with herself.

I'm afraid to cut my hair simply because it took so long to get it this long. A bad cut would set me back at least 6 months.

Cowgirl16
December 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
My hair has been pixie short, tailbone length and everything in between. I've dyed, permed, curled and blown it dry. I LOVE my long hair! I admit, I am attached to it...it doesn't define me but it is a part of who I am.
Ok Ok I also love that it takes me less time in the morning to "do" my hair:D

allmixedup88
December 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
thin no.. i was when i was younger.. if you can call that natural.. i was ultra twig thin because food didnt taste good due to depression.. im not depressed and food now tastes awesome (as opposed to the bland ash grossness that it was before) my weight now is natural.. but im by no means thin at 145 pounds and 5'6".. i like to call my belly, my chubb.. i naturally have a bit of chubb and im ok with it.. also you can see how wide my butt is in my avatar.. so no.. not naturally thin

you look thin with a great butt, lol!

Speckla
December 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm afraid of cheese. Yes, cheese. Long hair keeps the cheesies away....:cheese::cheese: oh no....they found me! AAAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

Amraann
December 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Like someone else posted I am not afraid to cut my hair I just do not want to.

Why should I? I like long hair and specifically I like long hair on me.
Apparently the author has a bit of a jealousy issue going on.

I only have one friend who suggests I cut it and she was here for Thanksgiving and this time never once said that.
I think she finally understands that I do not care what other people think of my hair.

Oberon88
December 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.- Oscar Wilde

I have found that people are afraid of the commitment well kept long hair represents. It's a lot easier to chop it all off and slap on extensions.

allmixedup88
December 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.- Oscar Wilde

I have found that people are afraid of the commitment well kept long hair represents. It's a lot easier to chop it all off and slap on extensions.

Long hair is a commitment and most people do not have the patience nor the follow through.

nightwish90
April 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM
maybe it's at the utmost the fear to look on the outside another way than you really are on the inside. and i think it's completely normal and healthy, if think my hair is the expression of the woman i feel inside. for me, hair is feminity. personally i don't find (at least at the moment, in the future, who knows) long(er) hair by men attractive(maybe because mine is now pretty short?, or maybe because i didn`t fall in love till now with someone with long hair, donno, i just think the woman should have long(er) hair) :D but if they feel that way good in their own skin i don't think it should be their problem what i believe or what hair symbolizes for me :D for them, it could mean something else. :cheese:

Amber_Maiden
April 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Pretty much because I like to grow it as a goal!

CharleaMurphy
April 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cheese, spiders and deep water

caadam
April 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
What am I afraid of that makes me keep my hair long?

... Uuuuhhh. lol Huh?

Nothing. I just like long hair. Why is that so hard for people to wrap their heads around?

What are people afraid of that makes them KEEP cutting their hair or keep it short? How about that? Really, most people might say, "Uhm, nothing. I just like to keep my hair short."

And honestly, it's really no one's business unless they're invited to know! I don't need some journalist or whatever who's out to criticize me, a total stranger, for having long hair as though I have some kind of deep set, traumatic reason for having long hair. What baloney. It sounds like that person has some jealousy issues and is completely ignorant and close minded.

ravenheather
April 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM

This exactly. Well said.

Hollyfire3
April 8th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Of not being able to have long hair, it is part of my self esteem, I am afraid of not feeling beautiful, i have always felt SO inferior to others around me, even my best friend, this is my chance to prove I am just as beautiful as her and all those i admire, although my best friend's hair seems so much worse than hers, its not nearly as long as hers or as healthy or as silky and perfect looking, but i keep telling myself, one day, it will be better than hers. I have picked a hair idol in Holly Marie Combs, I vow to have hair that beautiful, i also vow one day i will feel beautiful and not so jealous or inferior of those around me. My hair is the only thing i focus on as i don't wear makeup and don't like tredny clothes AT ALL, I have always wanted beautiful long hair that I can be proud of, I WILL get there.

kidari
April 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
My hair is a strong part of my vanity. It sometimes consumes more of my time and energy than I think is necessary.

jacqueline101
April 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm afraid something will happen and I won't be able to grow to tail bone length. I'm also afraid of gaining a lot of weight.

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Lol i'm not afraid of cutting my hair, i just DONT WANT TO :)

i find taking care of my hair as a passion and somewhat of a hobby. it's something i enjoy. i enjoy looking at long hair and talking about it. also seeing how long it takes to grow.

i have a question....why DO people cut their hair????
Maybe there the weird ones!
Long hair is natural! how is that weird?

This is a really, really good question. Why do we cut our hair?

Maelyssa
April 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Lol these articles are a hoot sometimes. :D

Well, I'm afraid that I won't get to feel my long air caressing my arms or back anymore. And I'm also afraid that my long, lovely hair won't be long hair anymore. Lol silly article!

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Cheese, spiders and deep water

Oh my goodness, you should do something about that fromageaphobia! NO ONE should have to live a life in fear of cheese. That's just criminal.

The other two fears are totally normal, keep those.

:cheese: :D :eyebrows:

thirstylocks
April 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I think some people to have some kind of psychological issues with their hair. My friend for example hasn't gotten a haircut in years despite the fact that her hair desperately needs it and is so self conscious that she sometimes sleeps with her hair extensions in even though they are causing a ton of hair loss for her. Its hard for me to show her how she is damaging her hair, and when I do bring it up, she refuses to listen.

But not all people with long hair feel vulnerable without it. I had waist length/long hair all my life and I got a short bob in September to get rid of the damage. I wasn't afraid to cut it off. I found it kind of liberating. But I obviously PREFER long hair.

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM
People get attached to and identify with a lot of body parts. I think the idea here is, "But what if you didn't have the beloved part all of a sudden? What then? Huh?"

Well, I love my eyes. They're green with a little bit of yellow. They're so "me." I love them! But...what if I suddenly didn't have my eyes? Would I be devastated? YES. But I'm not going to poke them out ahead of time so I can "deal with it now" and be a stronger person.

Neither should a long-hair person cut off his/her hair to "deal with" a weird no-hair eventuality scenario. If such a thing suddenly happens (and it does...my beloved friend is going through chemo right now and is completely bald, for instance), yes, devastation could be one of the feelings, and that would be normal...not something to "deal with just in case" by cutting it all off now now now.

Ya know?

I mean if I "detach" from my hair so that if one day it all gets yanked off in a freak meat processor accident, I'm 100&#37; fine with that, what do I win?

Please. :p

terylenerose
April 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I'm afraid of having short hair. I'm afraid of becoming really depressed and wanting to jump out the window (which I'd never do because I'm afraid of heights too). I'm afraid of becoming someone who has terrible values and isn't in touch with reality and nature. I'm afraid of looking like a boy/man.
I can't see the article, but really, you can't make this kind of generalization. It's tempting to do, but so much of the time it doesn't work. Like here.

Tisiloves
April 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I've stopped cutting my hair because I fear the horizontal/Tina Turneresque hair I still get every morning.

racrane
April 10th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I didn't read the article, but I'm enjoying this thread! Carry on!