PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse is the new crack

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
I first tried it about 2 days ago I believe and I'm hooked. The first day I rinsed my hair about 3 times (yeah prob overkill) and I was so amazed at the way it made my hair feel, I could not stop, lol.

So now I am wondering how many times should I do the ACV rinse a day? I do 2 a day one in the morning before I style and once at night before I braid my hair and go to bed. Is that too much?

Oh oh oh PS I leave it in, I do not rinse it out :)

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Well for me it became very drying after a while of doing it even a few times per week. I know it's different for everyone, just sayin :)
Now I use it maybe 3-4 times per month if at all, and I actually mix it into my conditioner to try and prevent it from drying my hair out.

ktani
December 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I first tried it about 2 days ago I believe and I'm hooked. The first day I rinsed my hair about 3 times (yeah prob overkill) and I was so amazed at the way it made my hair feel, I could not stop, lol.

So now I am wondering how many times should I do the ACV rinse a day? I do 2 a day one in the morning before I style and once at night before I braid my hair and go to bed. Is that too much?

Oh oh oh PS I leave it in, I do not rinse it out :)

It is a vinegar rinse, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/09/vinegar-rinses.html.

It can help smooth cuticles and reduce tangling. How strong you make it can affect results in terms of it not being good for hair.

If you are using it instead of a detangler, there may be easier, more convenient product options.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I usually fill up a peanut butter jar with water and put in about a 1/2 a tablespoon of acv

ktani
December 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
I usually fill up a peanut butter jar with water and put in about a 1/2 a tablespoon of acv

If your hair does not feel dry with that dilution, it is probably fine. If you start to notice dryness, increase the amount of water.

Ravenwaves 88
December 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Are you only supposed to do rinses after you Shampoo and Condition? Like as a final rinse out of your conditioner?

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
It does not feel dry, but I will watch out for that
Thank you though... I'll cut down my use to every other day then....
I'm just so amazed with it like a kid having a new toy, lol

Are you only supposed to do rinses after you Shampoo and Condition? Like as a final rinse out of your conditioner?

I think so I saw an ACV post here a couple of days ago and that seemed to be the consensus

alwayssmiling
December 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I don't rinse it out either and am having even better results - unbelievable shine. My ratio is a tablespoon in a litre jug of water.

ktani
December 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM

Unless you are using a soap based shampoo, or baking soda to clarify or wash the hair, there is no need for a vinegar rinse after shampooing or conditioning. Most shampoos today are acidic. If not, they usually state that on the bottle. Most if not all conditioners are acidic. A pH neutral shampoo does not require an acidic rinse after it either. One can be used though.

Some people like to use a vinegar rinse because of their hard water. One is needed following shampoo bars which are alkaline unless otherwise indicated.

Belledandy
December 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
We have hard water here and I use vinegar rinses after natural shampoos, poo bars, herbs, or bs washes. I wash my hair once daily. One thing that worked for me to guard against drying was steeping catnip in my vinegar. You can take a handfull of fresh or 1/4 dried catnip and put it in a clean glass container, fill with vinegar and let sit a couple weeks. Then strain and enjoy.

Eireann
December 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
I do an ACV rinse about once or twice a week, after shampooing. I have very fine hair and I learned through trial and error that if I condition after every shampoo it makes my hair stringy and dull. The ACV provides just the right amount of shine and makes it possible to comb out my hair without using conditioner.

My DH HAAAAAATES the smell however, so I think I'm going to try citric acid, as suggested by another poster on LHC. I just haven't gotten around to buying some yet.

Eireann
December 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
We have hard water here and I use vinegar rinses after natural shampoos, poo bars, herbs, or bs washes. I wash my hair once daily. One thing that worked for me to guard against drying was steeping catnip in my vinegar. You can take a handfull of fresh or 1/4 dried catnip and put it in a clean glass container, fill with vinegar and let sit a couple weeks. Then strain and enjoy.

Does the catnip improve the smell at all? The smell is the biggest problem I have with ACV. I can tolerate it, but DH hates it, and I don't want to turn him off too much!

PrincessBob
December 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I love my ACV rinse and use it or lemon/lime rinse with every washing, which is like once or twice a week, since I stretch washes.

allmixedup88
December 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
I try to only wash my hair once a week or so & sometimes I try to stretch it so I use peppermint tea & now ACV, this is okay, right?

My hair is processed so I was trying to keep everything as natural as possible :-)

Becky Safari
December 6th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I just tried my first ACV rinse tonight, my hair is still drying but it already feels more manageable in a way